The Liverpool FC Forum > Anfield Stadium

The Anfield Choo-Choo Thread

<< < (2/10) > >>

CraigDS:

--- Quote from: Red Berry on October 21, 2021, 09:31:16 pm ---I don't know much about the rail link concepts.  I seem to recall, either during the proposed Stanley Park move or shortly after FSG taking over, that serious expansion beyond 60k would require the club to put in a rail link.  Think the council were adamant on it.

Just playing with ideas, you could conceivably put some stations along the freight line, but the closest it gets to Anfield is about 800m in a straight line across Stanley park. That's potentially a lot of footfall marching through the park.

Then there's the question of who's responsible for the trains?  Merseyrail only runs electrical units, so does the line become electrified?  If so, would it be third rail or overhead lines, and would LFC have to foot the bill?  Might be worth holding onto some of the old trains for the route, but more likely it would be diesel engines.

--- End quote ---

It's about 1.1k from the nearest spot which is ideal (down Utting Avenue where the Clarence Pub used to be). That's been knocked down and there is a bit area there now right on the line.

Problem is I believe it needs electrifying so quite a lot of work, and for it to be viable it needs more than just the one station so it can be used for the wider area on non-matchdays.

Think Alan or Peter did a rough costing a while back and it wasn't cheap.

Red Beret:

--- Quote from: Craig 🤔 on October 21, 2021, 09:36:21 pm ---It's about 1.1k from the nearest spot which is ideal (down Utting Avenue where the Clarence Pub used to be). That's been knocked down and there is a bit area there now right on the line.

Problem is I believe it needs electrifying so quite a lot of work, and for it to be viable it needs more than just the one station so it can be used for the wider area on non-matchdays.

Think Alan or Peter did a rough costing a while back and it wasn't cheap.

--- End quote ---

Yeah. I was just looking at the line for sites for potential stations. If costs, building sites and construction logistics were not an issue, I'd suggest a new station on Tunnel Road, close to Edge Lane (actually near the site of the original Edge Lane station), and building by the road/rail intersections at Edge Lane, Prescot Road, West Derby Road, Townsend Lane and Utting Avenue, along with maybe new low level stations at Kirkdale and Bank Hall. I guess you could throw in Walton Lane and County Road as potential sites too.

The Line would probably run from Bank Hall to Tunnel Road on match days, and it would likely need a fairly high frequency of trains - six car units every 10 minutes if you're going to handle tens of thousands of supporters dispersing across the city.

But I've no idea how practical it would be to do any of that.  Adding platforms to rail bridges is likely very difficult, but equally not all those stations might be needed. I'm just spitballing.

CraigDS:
Most of them wouldn't need to be much more than a platform either side, prob only the ones near the ground which might need to be able to handle crowds.

Not sure if it would be cheaper but trams (similar to Manchester met line) would work too.

Billy Elliot:
If I remember correctly, it was Merseytravel who were talking about re-opening the Canada Dock overhead for passenger travel - still used for freight I think. Of course, it couldn't just be for Anfield, it'd have to benefit the whole of North Liverpool. But North Liverpool, as a whole, is pretty shit when you compare the infrastructure of a lot of other cities.

I just don't know what happened with the talks, they just suddenly stopped so I assume it didn't makes sense. There was a station once next to Goodison, talking the 1940s, like.

So… Howard Philips:

--- Quote from: Billy Elliot on October 21, 2021, 10:43:40 pm ---If I remember correctly, it was Merseytravel who were talking about re-opening the Canada Dock overhead for passenger travel - still used for freight I think. Of course, it couldn't just be for Anfield, it'd have to benefit the whole of North Liverpool. But North Liverpool, as a whole, is pretty shit when you compare the infrastructure of a lot of other cities.

I just don't know what happened with the talks, they just suddenly stopped so I assume it didn't makes sense. There was a station once next to Goodison, talking the 1940s, like.

--- End quote ---

Yet another first!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version