Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1454632 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Virgil Van Dijk
« Reply #11440 on: March 13, 2023, 06:14:31 pm »
Some weird things going on in here. If people think its just the Pickford tackle that has ruined him but I don't think it's just that... There wasn't much of a problem last season. What I find bizarre is the decision making. Where is he going for the Bournemouth goal? Its not just that it's the Man Utd goal at OT amongst other bizarre moments. Also before his injury he was having a weird old season. Started the games v Villa when we lost 7-2 and the Leeds 4-3 win which we just dismissed as fatigue or over confidence.

He was fantastic last season, what the  fuck you on about?

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11441 on: March 13, 2023, 06:16:46 pm »

He was good last season. I see lots on here blaming Pickford tackle for poor performances.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #11442 on: March 13, 2023, 06:18:44 pm »
He was good last season. I see lots on here blaming Pickford tackle for poor performances.

Yeah he did his ACL in his late 20s early 30s, but that has nothing to do with the best centre back I've ever seen suddenly throwing in a shocker or two.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11443 on: March 13, 2023, 06:19:05 pm »
I thought it was a perfectly weighted touch - one touch from the 18-yard box to the byline and sprinting he reaches the ball for the cross just before it goes out.  Not sure how many times out of 10 he could do that.

If that's how you saw the play that's completely fair but the main issue remains, it was (as with any play ever) not that good a passage of play you just dont even attempt to defend his run

Apply it to defending a cross, it doesn't always matter if you win the header, just being there affects the opposition players ability to play the ball where he wants to

Van Dijk is one of the best centre backs i've ever seen but the appearance of not being bothered is aggravating sometimes and he's far from the only one. That passage of play was shocking, again the guys farrrrr from finished but not bothering to even try is the opposite of our football IMO
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 06:25:03 pm by RyanBabel19 »

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11444 on: March 13, 2023, 08:44:35 pm »

He was very good across the season, he was still second best to Matip though. Matip had probably his best most consistent season yet for us.

The very fact that VVD wasn't as good as Matip last year should indicate some drop off in overall quality since his injury. Despite Matips brilliant season last year, had VVD performed to the levels 3-4 years ago, Matip would still have finished second best and VVD likely up for awards again.

If i were to pick an arbitrary figure out my arse, I'd say VVD performances were 10% worse last season than at his best, and he's 10% worse this year than last. So we're seeing a trend in his performances.

I think we either drop deeper and protect our defence better or we may as well sell VVD in the summer and replace him as it's clear the days of controlling a high line because of the physical attributes of our current centre backs are long gone - It's now Konate + New CB if we wish to continue this approach.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #11445 on: March 13, 2023, 08:57:36 pm »
He was very good across the season, he was still second best to Matip though. Matip had probably his best most consistent season yet for us.

The very fact that VVD wasn't as good as Matip last year should indicate some drop off in overall quality since his injury. Despite Matips brilliant season last year, had VVD performed to the levels 3-4 years ago, Matip would still have finished second best and VVD likely up for awards again.

If i were to pick an arbitrary figure out my arse, I'd say VVD performances were 10% worse last season than at his best, and he's 10% worse this year than last. So we're seeing a trend in his performances.

I think we either drop deeper and protect our defence better or we may as well sell VVD in the summer and replace him as it's clear the days of controlling a high line because of the physical attributes of our current centre backs are long gone - It's now Konate + New CB if we wish to continue this approach.
The manager obviously disagreed, the biggest games at the back end of last season Matip was dropped for Konate.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11446 on: March 13, 2023, 08:58:47 pm »
Was Matips best season though.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11447 on: March 15, 2023, 10:09:33 pm »
Thought him and Konate played well.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11448 on: March 15, 2023, 10:23:25 pm »
Thought him and Konate played well.
Yeah. Unlucky for the goal.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11449 on: March 16, 2023, 05:38:28 pm »
Virgil van Dijk on transfers:

“Obviously, players are going to leave. That’s been announced so if we want to be where we have been the last five years, we need quality imports, especially with those players leaving.” #lfc [james pearce - the athletic]

The squad are being quite open that they need help at this point.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #11450 on: March 16, 2023, 06:29:44 pm »
Can he string three sentences together without using "obvious" and "obviously"? Obviously not.  ;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11451 on: March 16, 2023, 06:32:05 pm »
I think it's a Northern European thing. I talk to a lot of Germans in my work and their sentences are peppered with 'clearly' and 'obviously'.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #11452 on: March 16, 2023, 09:29:04 pm »

“Obviously, players are going to leave. That’s been announced so if we want to be where we have been the last five years, we need quality imports, especially with those players leaving.” #lfc [james pearce - the athletic]

Well, Bobby AOC and Keita are absolutely leaving (and Milner is out of contract) so…. It’s not rocket science
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #11453 on: March 16, 2023, 09:49:01 pm »
Well, Bobby AOC and Keita are absolutely leaving (and Milner is out of contract) so…. It’s not rocket science

Players leaving need replacing is a diplomatic way of saying we need better players which he blatantly is, specifically in midfield, given the reality of the players who are leaving.

Nobody would have noticed if Chamberlain and Keita left last summer, let alone this one, Arthur has barely kicked a ball for us and Gakpo is Firmino's replacement. Milner may or may not go but is strictly back up.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11454 on: March 17, 2023, 12:42:46 am »

Well they’re not stupid, they can see there hasn’t been enough investment at critical points just like us, and they’re only getting older the time for them to create a true dynasty like the great Liverpool teams of the past is running out.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11455 on: March 17, 2023, 01:56:52 am »
Can he string three sentences together without using "obvious" and "obviously"? Obviously not.  ;D

Footballers vocabulary is on pair with Donald Trump
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11456 on: March 23, 2023, 01:05:47 pm »
how's your Dutch?

Offline mainone

• Anny Roader
  • this is the end.....
« Reply #11457 on: March 23, 2023, 01:25:43 pm »
 double     A - “a-va-gaa”
B - “b-bee”
C - “c-va-gee”
D - “d-va-gee”
E - “e-va-gee”
F - “ev-a-gef”
G - “g-va-gee”
H - “h-va-gach”
I - “i-va-gi”
J - “j-va-gay”
K - “k-va-gay”
L - “ev-a-gel”
M - “ev-a-gem”
N - “ev-a-gen”
O - “o-va-go”
P - “p-va-ee”
Q - “q-va-gu”
R - “r-va-ga”
S - “ev-a-gess”
T - “t-iv-a-gee”
U - “u-va-gu”
V - “viv-a-gee”
W - “duvagub-buvagle-u-va-gu”
X - “ev-a-gex”
Y - “y-va-guy”
Z - “ziv-a-gee

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11458 on: March 23, 2023, 02:37:42 pm »
B - “b-bee”
C - “c-va-gee”
D - “d-va-gee”
E - “e-va-gee”
F - “ev-a-gef”
G - “g-va-gee”
H - “h-va-gach”
I - “i-va-gi”
J - “j-va-gay”
K - “k-va-gay”
L - “ev-a-gel”
M - “ev-a-gem”
N - “ev-a-gen”
O - “o-va-go”
P - “p-va-ee”
Q - “q-va-gu”
R - “r-va-ga”
S - “ev-a-gess”
T - “t-iv-a-gee”
U - “u-va-gu”
V - “viv-a-gee”
X - “ev-a-gex”
Y - “y-va-guy”
Z - “ziv-a-gee

Knees bend, arms stretch
Rah-rah-rah

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #11459 on: March 23, 2023, 03:04:24 pm »
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #11460 on: March 23, 2023, 03:20:39 pm »
B - “b-bee”
C - “c-va-gee”
D - “d-va-gee”
E - “e-va-gee”
F - “ev-a-gef”
G - “g-va-gee”
H - “h-va-gach”
I - “i-va-gi”
J - “j-va-gay”
K - “k-va-gay”
L - “ev-a-gel”
M - “ev-a-gem”
N - “ev-a-gen”
O - “o-va-go”
P - “p-va-ee”
Q - “q-va-gu”
R - “r-va-ga”
S - “ev-a-gess”
T - “t-iv-a-gee”
U - “u-va-gu”
V - “viv-a-gee”
X - “ev-a-gex”
Y - “y-va-guy”
Z - “ziv-a-gee

One for the kids there ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11461 on: March 23, 2023, 05:59:36 pm »
Was Matips best season though.

Untrue. 2019 when we won the CL he was our best player

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11462 on: March 23, 2023, 06:02:15 pm »
Untrue. 2019 when we won the CL he was our best player

Nah ah.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #11463 on: April 1, 2023, 02:39:37 pm »
Some of the stick he got in the Netherlands during the international break is justified.

Offline Lubeh

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11464 on: April 1, 2023, 02:41:37 pm »
he looks lost completely, I dont know what to say.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11465 on: April 1, 2023, 02:41:51 pm »
Very sad decline of a once great footballer.

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #11466 on: April 1, 2023, 02:42:54 pm »
as bad as Trent and Robbo at the moment

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11467 on: April 1, 2023, 02:43:39 pm »
he looks lost completely, I dont know what to say.

He looks ordinary right now.

That Paul Machin from the Redmen TV reckons even on this season's form he's comfortably the best centre back in the league lol

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11468 on: April 1, 2023, 02:44:33 pm »
He looks ordinary right now.

That Paul Machin from the Redmen TV reckons even on this season's form he's comfortably the best centre back in the league lol

Yeah but the Redmen are idiots.

Offline Lubeh

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11469 on: April 1, 2023, 02:52:18 pm »
The only defender we have atm is konate, we need a new defence and midfield should have been buying them last summer, there is no point having bellingham ,  mount etc without   atleast 2 new cbs , and an rb

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11470 on: April 1, 2023, 02:53:51 pm »
He's fine. Play him behind a midfield and he'll look miles better. At the moment, the defence are sitting ducks. Doesn't help that Robbo likes to run off into the distance chasing lost causes and losing them.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Lubeh

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11471 on: April 1, 2023, 03:46:14 pm »
He's fine. Play him behind a midfield and he'll look miles better. At the moment, the defence are sitting ducks. Doesn't help that Robbo likes to run off into the distance chasing lost causes and losing them.

Unfortunetely the dutch team would not agree, and there midfield is alright !

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11472 on: April 1, 2023, 04:30:24 pm »
Looks finished. Complete liability these days.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #11473 on: April 1, 2023, 04:36:27 pm »
He was bad but his partner in crime wasn't much better.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #11474 on: April 1, 2023, 04:37:34 pm »

Looks finished. Complete liability these days.

Not seen us this season, love Virgil a class act at his peak and a joy to watch.

So, where's he at now, 2 different views above, somewhere in the middle presumably?
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #11475 on: April 1, 2023, 06:49:38 pm »
Have never criticised Virg but today he was shocking.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #11476 on: April 1, 2023, 06:55:30 pm »
Not seen us this season, love Virgil a class act at his peak and a joy to watch.

So, where's he at now, 2 different views above, somewhere in the middle presumably?

Yes, in the middle I would say. I've always been of the view some of our problems this season have come from last season's effort. Even more so with Virgil I think, coming back from injuries can take time and I think he has lost something from that, but I would still keep him for another season. He's been so important for us in that centre of defence, I still think he can do a job but we have to sign another CB to be his natural successor. Maybe then we can rest him a bit more through the season and see if he can regain some of his old consistency.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline markiv

• Main Stander
« Reply #11477 on: April 1, 2023, 07:09:32 pm »
He looks a different player since the injury. He used to be so calm on the ball when he's pressed and while defending but these days he treats the ball like a bomb. He just hoofs/clears with the slightest bit of pressure. I really hope this season is just a hangover from the last one and he can get back to his best next season but we definitely need another good centre back to challenge Virgil and Konate.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #11478 on: April 1, 2023, 07:10:09 pm »
He looks a different player since the injury. He used to be so calm on the ball when he's pressed and while defending but these days he treats the ball like a bomb. He just hoofs/clears with the slightest bit of pressure. I really hope this season is just a hangover from the last one and he can get back to his best next season but we definitely need another good centre back to challenge Virgil and Konate.

But that’s actually incorrect as was class last season.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11479 on: April 1, 2023, 07:19:07 pm »
He has got throwing his arms up in frustration at others down to an art form this season.