Author Topic: Andy Robertson (Andrew Henry Robertson MBE)  (Read 779678 times)

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
Re: Robertsoninho has signed
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2017, 06:16:22 pm »
Cracking. With all the hohar about VVD and Kieth this one snuck in almost. Delighted we have got a LB in.

Yes and no. I think Milner would get the important games as such, but there should be plenty of rotation IMO mate. Signing this lad though does give us the opportunity to have an extra body in Midfield with Milner.
This undoubtedly played a factor in Klopp allowing Lucas and Stewart to leave. Milner is a solid if unspectacular emergency backup at DM, so there was little point in keeping Lucas and Stewart around for that any more.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2017, 06:27:24 pm »
Welcome to the lad, hope he does well.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2017, 06:28:29 pm »
Not an exciting signing compared to other left backs out there but he is at a decent level so at least we have a trusted option when Milner may need a rest. Solid signing all things considered.

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2017, 06:30:35 pm »
Welcome lad :)
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline Nogg3000

• Main Stander
  • Come get some!
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2017, 06:42:30 pm »
Hopefully this lads just slips in under the radar and establishes himself as a mainstay in the team for a decade like his past countrymen. Could be a shrewd signing.

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2017, 06:43:10 pm »
James Milner still our first choice left back then.

Hopefully he can be better back up than Moreno.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2017, 06:43:13 pm »
Great to have another option there. I don't know much about him, but he seems to have the raw tools to succeed.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2017, 06:51:51 pm »
Not an exciting signing compared to other left backs out there but he is at a decent level so at least we have a trusted option when Milner may need a rest. Solid signing all things considered.

FFS ! If only his name was Robertoson and from South America
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2017, 07:20:39 pm »
x
Nice to see he came dressed up as Matt Dillon from There's Something About Mary.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2017, 07:48:08 pm »
Andy Robertson: The First Interview

https://vimeo.com/226457802
The questions haven't improved I see.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2017, 07:51:01 pm »
Welcome lad.

Do the shirt proud!

Offline Lemieux

• Kopite
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2017, 07:54:24 pm »
Really like Klopp's comments, feel as if he will surprise people in time.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2017, 07:55:05 pm »
Welcome - good luck.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2017, 07:58:24 pm »
He's a softly spoken young man, but make no mistake, Andy Robertson will glass you if he has to.

David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2017, 07:59:23 pm »
Im just so pleased we have a lb who will play in his natural position. We've needed that and if klopp can improve him like he has with others we are going to have that position sorted for a long time.
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline AshLFC

• Main Stander
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2017, 08:03:32 pm »
Welcome Robbo lad, all the best.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2017, 08:04:41 pm »
Im just so pleased we have a lb who will play in his natural position. We've needed that and if klopp can improve him like he has with others we are going to have that position sorted for a long time.
... especially when we sign Sessegnon as Milner's replacement in a year or two. Robertson + Sessegnon wil be some LB tandem, and I suspect Sessegnon will play on the wing as well ;)

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2017, 08:08:25 pm »
Good news. We've needed a new LB. Nothing personal, but Moreno has had his chance. Hopefully Robertson will prove to be our new first pick.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2017, 08:27:21 pm »
Good lean and nice quotes from the lad and Klopp. Welcome Andy!

Offline mig

• Legacy Fan
  • Bringing back better days
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2017, 08:33:03 pm »
No hype signing for a fair price. Here's hoping he turns into someone like Steve Finnan - not spectacular, but always solid and dependable. Anyone know what he's like then? :p

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2017, 08:50:16 pm »
I just wondered why Klopp even bothered to bring Moreno on the HK tour. Maybe he will leave him here and not bring him back to Europe.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2017, 08:51:19 pm »
Welcome.

I do like these type of signings, could be the next Rob Jones (look him up Andy ;)).
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2017, 09:13:52 pm »
This undoubtedly played a factor in Klopp allowing Lucas and Stewart to leave. Milner is a solid if unspectacular emergency backup at DM, so there was little point in keeping Lucas and Stewart around for that any more.

Absolutely with Lucas, Stewart Id say not mate. I think Stewart wasnt good enough for us.
Has Milner now played every position bar CB!? He played in goal, Mid and up top for City, Full back for us, so just CB left hahaha.

Hope Roy Hendo is right about this lad. Also the last time we won the league we had a Scots man in the side soooo ;)

I just wondered why Klopp even bothered to bring Moreno on the HK tour. Maybe he will leave him here and not bring him back to Europe.

Probably in case this deal didnt go through, or another (if indeed there was another LB being sort after), then he'd have a match fit LB along with Milner. It also puts Moreno in the shop window.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Lucaspool FC

• Kopite
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2017, 09:24:28 pm »
I like how people first say it's an average player, and then the longer everyone gets to think about it they warm to the player. The excitement of a new signing :D He's good enough I hope..or better, or worse. Anyway welcome to the club!

As Kramer would have said it: Those lean jokes are played..sooooo played.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2017, 09:49:58 pm »
Good lad, chuffed to bits for him.  Hope he will continue to develop and push Milner to be a starter.

:wave

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2017, 10:11:09 pm »
I won't pretend that I think he's the best LB we could have got, and would have preferred someone with better aerial prowess, but now that he's in the shirt, good luck fella  :scarf

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2017, 10:25:01 pm »
1. To have two full XI's to play 45 minute halfs
2. Not bringing him would weaken the negotiating position with interested clubs as it would be clear that Klopp had zero intention of using him this season. That might be clear anyways with Robertson joining, but the way it stands Moreno hasn't exactly fallen out with anyone so it wouldn't be the end of the world if he stayed and provided depth.
3. Keeps him match fit and allows suitors to assess his game a bit closer.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:26:45 pm by rickardinho1 »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2017, 10:42:56 pm »
Welcome YNWA

Offline Pastor Begbie

• Boys Pen
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2017, 11:20:20 pm »
I've not seen an awful lot of Robertson but I do remember watching him shortly after moving to Hull and being very impressed considering how far he'd come in such a short space of time. It's just good to have signed a natural left back and I hope that, rather than playing second fiddle to Milner, he's given the chance to make the position his own.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2017, 11:40:45 pm »
I've not seen an awful lot of Robertson but I do remember watching him shortly after moving to Hull and being very impressed considering how far he'd come in such a short space of time. It's just good to have signed a natural left back and I hope that, rather than playing second fiddle to Milner, he's given the chance to make the position his own.

I personally think there will be plenty of rotation in the LB spot between Robertson and Milner. Wont be a case of making the position his own, but certainly not playing 2nd fiddle. Champ League qualification permitting, there will be plenty of games.

Welcome by the way :wave
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2017, 12:13:50 am »
Welcome. 'Bout time we had an actual left footed left back starting, and more importantly a Scot in the team again!

Only heard good things about him, we've addressed a weak point, encouraging signing.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2017, 12:16:03 am »
He's a softly spoken young man, but make no mistake, Andy Robertson will glass you if he has to.

;D

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2017, 12:54:33 am »
Stamina
Talent
Brain

You can't ask for more
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline oppai daisuki

• Main Stander
  • We have to change from doubters to believers. Now.
« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2017, 01:46:18 am »
Welcome Andy!

Offline Red Cez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stop Fucking Moaning!!!!
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2017, 03:00:31 am »
Been hoping we'd sign this kid for a long while so super chuffed to see him sign up. Good luck Andy!
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Oscar Wilde

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2017, 04:00:00 am »
Good lad, chuffed to bits for him.  Hope he will continue to develop and push Milner to be a starter.

:wave

Right

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2017, 04:00:54 am »
Been hoping we'd sign this kid for a long while so super chuffed to see him sign up. Good luck Andy!

He's not sorting our defence out though is he

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2017, 04:47:26 am »
ROBERTSON VS SCHMELZER

It struck me when watching a Robertson video how similar he looks to Schmelzer, so after looking at a couple of videos of each of them I did a little comparison on Sqwuawka...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HkHmfV8SiCk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HkHmfV8SiCk</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cZafqxzD434" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cZafqxzD434</a>

Turns out that the two players aren't only similar visually, but also very similar statistically as well...

What's promising is that these stats are for Schmelzer in his prime years under Klopp, whereas Robertson can probably still improve significantly under Klopp's guidance. It's highly probably that Robertson will have every opportunity to increase his attacking outputs, as well as his defensive performance (in terms of successful tackles for example), by playing for an aggressive pressing and possession oriented team.

Also, the main weakness in the stats against Robertson is aerial duels, but he's not that far off Schmelzer in terms of aerial duel win %, and is a similar height (1.78m vs Schmelzer 1,80m) so perhaps that is something that can be worked on. It should also be noted that Robertson played large chunks of these seasons as a LWB, thereby most likely not contesting as many duels (a win % of around 40% but much lower number of aerials won suggests that to be the case).

All-in-all, Schmelzer comes out as slightly better defensively, but Robertson looks like more of a threat with the ball as evidenced by his greater number of take-ons (and take-on %), as well as from his number of forward passes which is impressively similar to Schmelzer (in Robertson's PL season) despite the fact that he played for a worse team.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 05:03:01 am by rickardinho1 »

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2017, 06:28:25 am »
Welcome Robbo!!!

hope he becomes an instant hit with us. Looks a humble lad from the interviews and a top lean for a left footer to boot.

Thanks Babu for the videos. Your posts are brilliant and fucking joy to read.

From the videos, looks like a complete "modern" fullback. But being the perpetual pessimist, like most left footed players, i notice his only use for right foot is for standing...lol

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2017, 08:02:02 am »

"Ye wee shite, ye wan' a Glasgow kiss?"