The Liverpool FC Forum > Former LFC Players

Milan Baros

(1/5) > >>

Igor Tripod Biscan:
Is still playing, hes only 35!

He didn't really do it for us but I really liked him - Lovely hair!

rafathegaffa83:
It was only Galatasaray were he really put up solid numbers. A player, who put up decent second and third striker numbers for most of his clubs, while having first and second striker minutes. I remember he had a great purple patch during Euro 2004 were he ended up as top scorer. It resulted in him being strongly linked with Barcelona and openly talked of wanting to move there. A lot of people, including myself, wouldn't have minded had we cashed in on him at the time, as he'd had an awful, injury-plagued season. Then again, had we sold him, we probably wouldn't have had Istanbul. Silver linings and all that.

S Club 7's Xmas Reunion Live DVD Box Set:
Am I alone in thinking Baros was underrated for us? I remember him scoring a respectable amount in his first full season, then chipped in with a few league goals in 2004/05. I guess so many of the players from around that time are judged on the role they played in the run up to Istanbul and he didn't really provide any of those "epic" moments.  Brought down by Cech in the semi, and did well to get out of the way of Smicer's shot in the final but that's about it. Always liked Baros though.

I think of him as a bridge between two managerial eras. He was a cut above the dross that Houllier bought towards the end of his reign, and a step down from the sort of talents that Benitez had his eye on.

Bing Crosby's Pervy Nickers Sniffing Xmas Eve Special! Mmm!:

--- Quote from: S on April 28, 2017, 03:20:18 pm ---Am I alone in thinking Baros was underrated for us? I remember him scoring a respectable amount in his first full season, then chipped in with a few league goals in 2004/05. I guess so many of the players from around that time are judged on the role they played in the run up to Istanbul and he didn't really provide any of those "epic" moments.  Brought down by Cech in the semi, and did well to get out of the way of Smicer's shot in the final but that's about it. Always liked Baros though.

I think of him as a bridge between two managerial eras. He was a cut above the dross that Houllier bought towards the end of his reign, and a step down from the sort of talents that Benitez had his eye on.

--- End quote ---

Remember when we signed him there was some hype but think he was loaned back to Banik Ostrava.  Out of nowhere he started for us at the Nou Camp in the Champions League second group stage but didn't really feature again that season.

Gave us some impetus when we were struggling a bit in 02/03. Scored against Basel,  Bolton and West Brom in quick succession I think. Scored a reasonable amount that season but at some point got a bad knee injury and didn't feature again til towards the end of 03/04.

Under Rafa he was important in the first half of that season. After Cisse broke his leg and before signing Morientes he was pretty much our only fit senior striker and he did a decent job of carrying the attack.

Bit of a headless chicken at times but generally liked his attitude and he seemed to get the crowd fired up whenever he came on. Left at the right time and didn't amount to much elsewhere but I remember his time here quite fondly. Even got a knock off Czech kit with his name on after a weekend in Prague!

rafathegaffa83:

--- Quote from: Acton Nick on April 28, 2017, 03:48:15 pm ---Remember when we signed him there was some hype but think he was loaned back to Banik Ostrava.  Out of nowhere he started for us at the Nou Camp in the Champions League second group stage but didn't really feature again that season.

Gave us some impetus when we were struggling a bit in 02/03. Scored against Basel,  Bolton and West Brom in quick succession I think. Scored a reasonable amount that season but at some point got a bad knee injury and didn't feature again til towards the end of 03/04.

Under Rafa he was important in the first half of that season. After Cisse broke his leg and before signing Morientes he was pretty much our only fit senior striker and he did a decent job of carrying the attack.

Bit of a headless chicken at times but generally liked his attitude and he seemed to get the crowd fired up whenever he came on.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, there was plenty of hype about him. The 'Ostravan Maradona' apparently. Decent amount of pace and energy, but gravity and his long locks seemed to keep his head down, as he was constantly shooting without looking. He scored quite a bit in the beginning of Rafa's reign and then couldn't score for the rest of the year. We did well to get 6.5m for him and sold him on at the right time. Galatasaray aside, his career was pretty spotty.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version