The Liverpool FC Forum > Liverpool FC Forum

The Anfield Wrap

<< < (5534/5822) > >>

Crosby Nick:
I was at the Spurs away game mentioned on On This Day. Great fun! And had forgotten about the Rafa La Bamba.

Big Bamber:

--- Quote from: Charlie Adams fried egg on December  1, 2022, 10:02:39 am ---Very good article. I saw the headline and didn't read it because it looked a bit depressing but didn't realise it was by Robbo. But he's on the money isn't he?

I've seen lots of comments on here, maybe from people of a certain age, talking about walking away and their own personal reasons why, but they're all covered in there.

I still love the actual game of football, it's a wonderful, fluid game capable of generating incredible excitement. But even the actual 90+ minutes has been reduced to farce by inept officials, inept management of officials and even worse governance of the laws of the game that has allowed cheating and shithousery to flourish; and even be lauded by some of the commentariat, depending on where you come from and the team you play for.

Then you get onto all the other things that Robbo mentioned in his article which make any attempt to follow the game beyond the narrowest of media, a challenge to your mental health at worst, and at best making you shake your head at what society has become.

That fan partisanship has been allowed to infest the mainstream media, is an act of negligence and short termism that has made the game virtually unwatchable. On the rare occasion that you actually enjoy a game on telly, you realise it's because the coverage is professional, informative and without agenda. The rest of the time, which certainly causes me to either watch with the sound off or increasingly not bother at all, coverage is of the sort that would make Russian, Chinese, or even the RWP in this country embarrassed.

I could go on, but the bottom line is that there are too many people with their snouts in the trough. Owners, players, agents, governing bodies, media, even some elements of fan media to name a few. All bear some responsibility for making the game the shitshow it currently is.

The only solution as I see it is to cut off funding. Why should our fans be subject to the crap we regularly get served up by BT and SKY? If we keep buying it there's no incentive to change. Don't buy their shitty papers, don't buy their overpriced cup final tickets, don't ring their shitty phone ins.

Sorry rant over, I only meant to say how much I enjoyed Robbo's article - good to see him writing again.

--- End quote ---

Don’t apologize. Great post. Hope it’s read on the next main show!

ewok-red-97:
Those football miracles episodes were great. The Twitter threads were a good reminder too.

Schmohawk:
Yes agreed. Also, the flat-earthers episode was mentioned and I wanted to listen to it again but I couldn't find it in my podcast app. Is it gone?

Fitzy.:
I enjoyed Robbo's article, and it will definitely chime - in part at least - with how a lot of people view football and the circus that comes with it. Much of football 'chat' has certainly become a bit of a hellscape; indulging in really tired one-upmanship and low-life accusations. Just grim and off-putting.

My only challenge to Robbo and to having this position (of which I am certainly drawn to) is that it's tied into being of a certain age. If you have sepia-tinted visions of a more innocent past, where money wasn't King and footballers weren't impossibly rich then that's great...to some degree. I look back at my Football 86 sticker album with a damp-eyed nostalgia that I cannot shift. But there are loads of things about modern football that are better - accessibility via TV/internet, less crowd violence, better playing surfaces, attitudes in grounds etc.

My point is that I think we have to caution being old men screaming at clouds. Yes, you've earned your stripes, you've lived the game for decades and spent a king's ransom doing it. But I'm not particularly keen to share that cynicism with the younger generation who are stepping towards these experiences for the first time; with wide-jawed awe and wonder. It's their turn to be consumed by all this...and it'll be their turn to be spat out the other side in a few decades time.

Of course, Robbo isn't advocating being miserable to the youth about enjoying football. However, I think offering a personal take of this nature on the ills of the game does step towards 'better in my day' territory, whether you like it or not. It may well be time for him to give the gig up and leave it behind - absolutely reasonable and something that comes to a lot of folk.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version