The Liverpool FC Forum > The History Board - 1892 to 1994

1950 FA Cup Final Team

(1/10) > >>

Redsnappa:
A mate of mine bought me a copy of 'Picture Post' from April 1950 at a recent auction.

I thought I'd scan the pics of the Liverpool team for those of us under the age of 70 who've never seen them.... :P

So here we go:

Two pics of Cyril Sidlow (including the cover pic):

Phil Taylor (Captain)

Laurie Hughes

Eddie Spicer and Ray Lambert

Bob Paisley (who sadly didn't get picked for the Final)

Bill Jones (on the right, not as it says in the caption, on the left)

Kevin Baron

Albert Stubbins

Billy Liddell

Jimmy Payne and Willie Fagan

We lost 2 nil to the Arsenal that year on our first ever visit to Wembley, but we didn't have too bad a record from 1965 on...

Dan86:
The first two photos are superb. Cyril Sidlow a fraction of a second from getting clattered in both.

TheLeftSide:
Wow!

I've only seen two of those before. The corner of the KOP and main stand (where the boys pen was in the sixties) on the Bill Jones picture is breathtaking  (rising up through the mist).

Thanks for posting that.

Redsnappa:

--- Quote from: TheLeftSide on February 27, 2009, 09:09:33 am ---Wow!

I've only seen two of those before. The corner of the KOP and main stand (where the boys pen was in the sixties) on the Bill Jones picture is breathtaking  (rising up through the mist).

Thanks for posting that.

--- End quote ---
That raises a point Lefty...

We're at home and Bill Jones (if the caption has it right) is wearing white....so why are we in our Away kit in a Home game?

???

EDIT: I think the caption's wrong. The player on the right looks like Laurie Hughes to me, so we ARE in Red and that's not Bill Jones at all, unless he was playing for someone else (Charlton?) at the time....

Ron:
Thanks for posting those pictures !
It's really hard to find some good pictures from our black and white past.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version