Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2766158 times)

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #59360 on: January 23, 2021, 08:48:36 am »
As per my previous posts, I don't think Tomlin is anywhere near as great as he's made out to be. I know this is an opinion in the minority, but as an outsider looking at the Steeler organisation, 14 years, 1 Superbowl when you think of a QB like Big Ben, and the mass of amazing players that have played for them and gone in that time, I just think they should have done much more and to me it falls on Tomlin. People give McCarthy grief (as I have done years ago), but Tomlin's somehow immune.

One of his weaknesses is controlling characters, AB, Bell, and to some extent JuJu, he lets them clown around until it gets out of control and becomes deterimental to the team.

The reason I'm writing this is because all I can see from the Haskins trade is trouble. The lad may turn his fortunes around, but I don't believe he'll do it here. The downside is far greater and could threaten to further derail this organisation.

The rumour of Hue Jackson being courted for the OC position is equally worrying. When the Browns signed him I called him a clown (based on his previous HC role), yes he'll be limited being an OC, but this guy's ego is through the roof sometimes.

So yeah, two worrying signs for the Steelers as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with this, i do like Mike Tomlin but he always gets outcoached when it matters & Steelers end up losing the game, i've lost count the amount of times the Steelers have reached the playoffs only to come up short, strangely Bill Cowher had similar issues, would lose the big game in the playoffs & finally won a SB near the end of his career were as Tomlin won the SB at the start of his career, Cowher lost a SB to, super bowl XXX to the Cowboys.
#Sausages

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59361 on: January 23, 2021, 10:11:58 am »
22.000 fans will be allowed to attend the Superbowl, including 7.500 vaccinated health care workers who will receive tickets for free.
It’s the least they can do, but it’s still a nice touch from the NFL.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #59362 on: January 23, 2021, 10:56:50 am »
Poor guys. Had to deal with Covid and now have to endure a Superbowl halftime show with The Weeknd or whatever he's called... ;)

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #59363 on: January 23, 2021, 12:10:50 pm »
The super bowl halftime shows have been meh in recent years.
#Sausages

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59364 on: January 23, 2021, 05:12:03 pm »
The super bowl halftime shows have been meh in recent years.

The 2010s were almost universally woeful. Maroon 5, Madonna, Black Eyed Peas, The (Brexit Twats) Who, Bruno Mars, Katy Perry, Coldplay. It's a bad sign when Lady Gaga, Justin Timberlake and Beyonce stand out as least woeful. Maroon 5 when they were in Atlanta was the nadir - how do you not book OUtkast?! (Big Boi was there, doing Outkast's shitest song - the way you move - but that was it)

Last years latinas was a slight improvement. Weeknd should be better than almost all of the above.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #59365 on: January 23, 2021, 05:17:58 pm »
Maroon 5 committed the cardinal sin. They were boring.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #59366 on: January 23, 2021, 05:49:35 pm »
Katy Perry's set was weird, not as weird as the final play in that super bowl in not letting Marshawn Lynch run it if from the 1 yard line.
#Sausages

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #59367 on: January 23, 2021, 07:07:31 pm »
Katy Perry's set was weird, not as weird as the final play in that super bowl in not letting Marshawn Lynch run it if from the 1 yard line.
Them sharks still come to haunt me at night every now and then.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59368 on: January 23, 2021, 07:11:28 pm »
Yea, Maroon 5 in Atlanta was weird.

Bruno Mars wasn't too bad (I think people had low expectations, so maybe that's why it seemed that way).

Lady Gaga was certainly entertaining, as was Katy Perry.

Most of the recent ones are fairly forgettable.
King Kenny.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #59369 on: January 23, 2021, 07:21:47 pm »
Madonna nearly fell off the back of the stage too. That was funny.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59370 on: January 23, 2021, 07:27:28 pm »
annoying that there is no game tonight

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59371 on: January 23, 2021, 08:09:12 pm »
annoying that there is no game tonight

Yeah. I've been asking for years that they do the conference finals and the superbowl on Saturday instead of Sunday. They won't listen to me and abandon their tradition...

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #59372 on: January 23, 2021, 09:03:07 pm »
getting to that part of the year again where sunday nights become a struggle.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #59373 on: January 23, 2021, 09:06:14 pm »
Yeah. I've been asking for years that they do the conference finals and the superbowl on Saturday instead of Sunday. They won't listen to me and abandon their tradition...
People are used to football on Sunday and also in the US there is college basketball is normally on Saturday

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59374 on: January 23, 2021, 09:22:53 pm »
getting to that part of the year again where sunday nights become a struggle.

:( yep

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59375 on: January 23, 2021, 09:36:12 pm »
People are used to football on Sunday and also in the US there is college basketball is normally on Saturday

I know. Doesn't change the fact that it sucks balls...

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #59376 on: January 23, 2021, 10:13:01 pm »
Katy Perry was brilliant.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59377 on: January 23, 2021, 10:42:32 pm »
Katy Perry was brilliant.
Unless you like singing. Or music.

Or entertainment.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59378 on: January 23, 2021, 10:46:53 pm »
The greatest HT show.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7NN3gsSf-Ys" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7NN3gsSf-Ys</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59379 on: January 23, 2021, 11:13:42 pm »
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1353117714127216640
Qb Market this offseason gets a big name. Still waiting to hear on if Big Ben is retiring or coming back, Same with Brees officially.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #59380 on: January 24, 2021, 12:03:51 am »
Stafford deserves to go somewhere where he can show that he is good

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #59381 on: January 24, 2021, 01:41:24 am »

No surprise he's going. Best for all parties

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59382 on: January 24, 2021, 01:55:12 am »
Would expect Indy and New England to be interested.  Indy's got a very good team already, and NE will be better when they get some of their players back from opt-outs, injuries, etc.  Both teams have cap space.  For New England, I don't know how much appetite Belichick has to build again with a young QB.  Given their draft position this year, Stafford might be the better option.  Stafford's got quite a few years left in him, barring injuries.

Broncos are coming from a worse position, but they've got some great weapons (Sutton, Jeudy, Fant, Patrick, Hamler, etc).  Could be another interesting spot.

EDIT:  Forgot about WFT.

Niners too, if they want to move on from Jimmy G.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 02:01:34 am by skipper757 »
King Kenny.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59383 on: January 24, 2021, 02:39:28 am »
Would expect Indy and New England to be interested.  Indy's got a very good team already, and NE will be better when they get some of their players back from opt-outs, injuries, etc.  Both teams have cap space.  For New England, I don't know how much appetite Belichick has to build again with a young QB.  Given their draft position this year, Stafford might be the better option.  Stafford's got quite a few years left in him, barring injuries.

Broncos are coming from a worse position, but they've got some great weapons (Sutton, Jeudy, Fant, Patrick, Hamler, etc).  Could be another interesting spot.

SF,Indy, WFT, Den, Ne are probably the most likely spots.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #59384 on: January 24, 2021, 02:47:41 am »
As per my previous posts, I don't think Tomlin is anywhere near as great as he's made out to be. I know this is an opinion in the minority, but as an outsider looking at the Steeler organisation, 14 years, 1 Superbowl when you think of a QB like Big Ben, and the mass of amazing players that have played for them and gone in that time, I just think they should have done much more and to me it falls on Tomlin. People give McCarthy grief (as I have done years ago), but Tomlin's somehow immune.

One of his weaknesses is controlling characters, AB, Bell, and to some extent JuJu, he lets them clown around until it gets out of control and becomes deterimental to the team.

The reason I'm writing this is because all I can see from the Haskins trade is trouble. The lad may turn his fortunes around, but I don't believe he'll do it here. The downside is far greater and could threaten to further derail this organisation.

The rumour of Hue Jackson being courted for the OC position is equally worrying. When the Browns signed him I called him a clown (based on his previous HC role), yes he'll be limited being an OC, but this guy's ego is through the roof sometimes.

So yeah, two worrying signs for the Steelers as far as I'm concerned.

as has already been mentioned, i dont think you can dismiss the pats dominance when looking at achievements of other HCs, and personally i think tomlin does a good job and last season a great job and as regards personnel - when AB left and we finally got to see the real AB on full throttle, well fuck me, everyone who had criticised tomlin's handling of AB soon changed tack and said he must've been working miracles just to field this lunatic (that's not verbatim but not far off what many commentators said, which i found fucking hilarious)

i'd love to see stafford somewhere else, hopefully with a decent fucking team, i love watching him play when he's been able to let rip - i've no doubt he's quality and a good team would let him show that consistently
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 02:54:31 am by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59385 on: January 24, 2021, 04:03:50 am »
Those two (three?) seasons where the Lions were good and Stafford just had to get the ball into the same zip code as Megatron was a lot of fun. Refs had blood on their hands in their playoff games too.

Stafford to NE or Indy seems super interesting to me. I'd love to see him at Chicago or Pittsburgh but they're not going to be able to afford him.

49er/Washington/Denver is less interesting.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #59386 on: January 24, 2021, 07:15:01 am »
The greatest HT show.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7NN3gsSf-Ys" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7NN3gsSf-Ys</a>

U2 super bowl halftime show was just as good.
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #59387 on: January 24, 2021, 07:21:05 am »

I can see why the Niners might want to move on from Jimmy G, he's been injury prone, plus he's inconsistent, he has a great game like the Saints game the other year, then can throw a dumb few picks the very next game.
#Sausages

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #59388 on: January 24, 2021, 10:54:12 am »
Unless you like singing. Or music.

Or entertainment.
It was great entertainment.

That’s all it should be.

The Half-time Show should always play fourth fiddle to the ballgame.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #59389 on: January 24, 2021, 10:56:02 am »
Stafford has nothing to throw to in New England.

As much as Trev would like him in Boston, he’d be much better placed to succeed at this point in his career with the Colts where he’s tossing it to Pitman, Hilton and has Jonathan Taylor in the backfield.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #59390 on: January 24, 2021, 11:28:45 am »
Stafford would have a fantastic o-line in Indy to protect him if he goes there. Plus he still gets to play in a dome, which always helps when you're heading to your mid 30s.

Really looking forward to today's games. As whoever said on this thread yesterday, it's nuts that they stick one game right after the other instead of having one on Saturday and one on Sunday. Often the first game is a thriller and you don't have time to take it in before the 2nd game begins. And literally nobody is watching college hoops 2 months before March Madness begins, do if they use that as a reason not to split them it's super dumb.

Think it'll be two home wins tonight. Don't really rate the Bucs, and I think the Bills aren't quite there yet.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #59391 on: January 24, 2021, 11:33:01 am »
In an entirely selfish way, long may the 2 Sunday championship games stay. Otherwise they'd both be in us prime time which is a c*nt to stay up for.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #59392 on: January 24, 2021, 12:02:03 pm »
I want to see a Bills / Packers Super Bowl.

Especially after seeing the video of Victor Nielson.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #59393 on: January 24, 2021, 12:47:10 pm »
In an entirely selfish way, long may the 2 Sunday championship games stay. Otherwise they'd both be in us prime time which is a c*nt to stay up for.

Yep, it's handy as the first game kicks off just after 8pm, after our match finishes[even if it goes to penalties], NFL want a prime time game for one of the championship games otherwise i'd go with 1pm & 4.30pm EST for the kickoffs.

One reason i'm glad i have the gamepass[i know i keep going on about this] but i can go to bed tonight & not watch the Chiefs game, but watch it in full without adds, on the gamepass sometime tomorrow, i find it easy to avoid the scores. :)
#Sausages

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #59394 on: January 24, 2021, 02:12:00 pm »
as there's absolutely fuck all else to do these days I've used up some holiday allowance to book tomorrow morning off.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #59395 on: January 24, 2021, 02:52:49 pm »
Some serious snow at Lambeau

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #59396 on: January 24, 2021, 02:57:16 pm »
as there's absolutely fuck all else to do these days I've used up some holiday allowance to book tomorrow morning off.
Well in Ray.

I might do the same for the Super Bowl, but tonight’s games hopefully won’t last beyond half 3 so should still be able to get 5 hours sleep so that’s plenty.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #59397 on: January 24, 2021, 03:09:34 pm »

looked like a proper fucking blizzard.

already booked the day off after the super bowl but that's a usual thing anyway.

also, the iggles have their new HC.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59398 on: January 24, 2021, 07:10:37 pm »
Got a feeling Gronkowski will be used far more for this game, short passes up the middle.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #59399 on: January 24, 2021, 07:23:59 pm »

We’ve been having Super Bowl parties for 35 years, this year it will be via zoom. I’ve taken the next day off anyway, despite being in lockdown. Perhaps I’ll just get minced for 9pm and miss the game 😌
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.