Author Topic: The Wine Thread  (Read 155361 times)

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
Re: The Wine Thread
« Reply #1640 on: July 8, 2020, 06:14:18 pm »
Looks like the 25% off is on for the next 7 days. May treat myself and get some of those Riojas.

I decided not to this time, then thought yeah then saw most stuff out of stock...
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1641 on: July 9, 2020, 10:02:45 am »
I managed to get 3 of the 6 you suggested and then made it up to a case with a few other favourites. Tondonia was out of stock, went back on after delivery to check something and Tondonia was back in  :no

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1642 on: July 12, 2020, 05:48:08 pm »
I managed to get 3 of the 6 you suggested and then made it up to a case with a few other favourites. Tondonia was out of stock, went back on after delivery to check something and Tondonia was back in  :no

Aye, they went out of stock on basically anything i'd go for which with the prices of some it's not a surprise.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1643 on: March 8, 2021, 01:39:02 pm »
Anyone use naked wines?

Got a good introductory offer. £75 off a case. So a £120 or so case was about £50

12 wines. First two were bloody fantastic
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #1644 on: March 8, 2021, 02:18:42 pm »
Anyone use naked wines?

Got a good introductory offer. £75 off a case. So a £120 or so case was about £50

Got a sent a case of mixed red from them as a birthday present recently - not a comment on their quality generally but I'd say the range of what I got was bang average (I haven't opened the French Cabernet yet). Not bad at all, just nothing I'd note down to get again.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1645 on: March 8, 2021, 04:29:09 pm »
Got a sent a case of mixed red from them as a birthday present recently - not a comment on their quality generally but I'd say the range of what I got was bang average (I haven't opened the French Cabernet yet). Not bad at all, just nothing I'd note down to get again.
first two for me were good anyway

10 left. if it works out i could see me using them more

also waiting for tesco to do their offers again

3 times between haloween and christmas they did 25% off 6 bottles or more and even before that some wines were way down in price

beef steak club was normally £8, it went down to 6 and with 25% off you saved loads

they havent done it since christmas though

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1646 on: March 8, 2021, 05:16:36 pm »
Anyone use naked wines?

I do. Hated them early on mainly because of their cheesy marketing, and I still object to how they price things and express the "discount" but I have to say overall their wines are decent.

Case in point: Had one of theirs at the weekend, it was a Sauvignon blanc / Verdejo blend and then followed that with a Waitrose sauvignon Blanc. The difference was incredible. I know the was a difference in grapes, but the NW had depth, the Waitrose one was bland.
While there's some good supermarket wine, there's also a lot of crap that gets sold on brand, on offer, gets bought because it's fashionable. The NW stuff is a bit different in a good way.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #1647 on: March 9, 2021, 12:36:48 pm »

beef steak club was normally £8, it went down to 6 and with 25% off you saved loads

they havent done it since christmas though
M&S do the same offer (maybe only twice a year though) and they've some cracking wines.

Beef Steak Club is a favourite of my missus' so we always get a couple of bottles when on offer. She could also endlessly drink Jammy Red so we get a few bottles for her when it's on offer. It's a bit sweet for my tastes but extremely accessible for those just getting into their wines.

I must confess I know very little but am learning more and finding out what I like most (mainly Northern Italian reds and South American Reds - a colleague got me a bottle of Amarone Classico Forte for Christmas, that was one of the best wines I've ever had).
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1648 on: March 9, 2021, 12:53:25 pm »
M&S do the same offer (maybe only twice a year though) and they've some cracking wines.

Beef Steak Club is a favourite of my missus' so we always get a couple of bottles when on offer. She could also endlessly drink Jammy Red so we get a few bottles for her when it's on offer. It's a bit sweet for my tastes but extremely accessible for those just getting into their wines.

I must confess I know very little but am learning more and finding out what I like most (mainly Northern Italian reds and South American Reds - a colleague got me a bottle of Amarone Classico Forte for Christmas, that was one of the best wines I've ever had).
sainsburys do it too. not sure about asda as i dont go to my local one that much.

i must look out for that christmas one you had

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1649 on: August 25, 2021, 09:38:19 am »
https://groceries.asda.com/product/malbec/trapiche-oak-cask-malbec/1000275053531

fantastic wine

trapiche

Asda at min with me doing the previously mentioned 25% off 6 bottles or more deal

I usually buy around 18 bottles when the deal comes in.

Should have a nice winter stash as am planning to stay off the booze for a month. plus come christmas my naked wines account will have about £100 so i should get a case of wine for that.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #1650 on: August 29, 2021, 11:58:50 pm »
Malbec....  :lickin :lickin  .. Love it  :wave
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #1651 on: December 26, 2021, 06:45:48 pm »
Well this Beaujolais - Villages is really something .

I vendanged not to far from there for seven years .  Nice one Bargain Booze   :wave

https://www.winemag.com/buying-guide/louis-jadot-2017-beaujolais-villages/
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1652 on: November 14, 2023, 04:55:06 pm »
A very very belated bump!
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1653 on: November 14, 2023, 04:56:29 pm »
I say that because I've just started up a new wine business having left my old employer. Therefore a shameless plug.

https://abingdonfinewine.com/

In saying that, always forget how much I enjoyed this thread.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #1654 on: December 27, 2023, 11:22:18 pm »
I say that because I've just started up a new wine business having left my old employer. Therefore a shameless plug.

https://abingdonfinewine.com/

In saying that, always forget how much I enjoyed this thread.

Best of luck on the new venture!

I've been popping a few bottles as of late, had some lovely bottles last night with my Boxing Day meal (wine braised Lamb Shanks, mash, steamed sprouts).

Domaine la Colliere 'Les Bergeronnellles 'CDR Blanc
Timbre 'Opening Act's Pinot Noir From Monterey CA
Puerto del Monte Mencia Red from Spain
Glen Manor Vin Rouge - Virginia
Cardamaro to settle stomachs post meal
Some bourbon to close out the night, Stagg Jr and Rebel Distillers Collection

I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #1655 on: December 28, 2023, 08:33:15 pm »
I know this is probably sacrilege on here, but anyone recommend a ‘nice’ non alcohol wine? Seen a couple of German whites knocking about but want to know what the best/closest to a wine taste brand there is. If there is one. Or is it all shite. Sorry.

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1656 on: January 11, 2024, 04:10:35 pm »
I know this is probably sacrilege on here, but anyone recommend a ‘nice’ non alcohol wine? Seen a couple of German whites knocking about but want to know what the best/closest to a wine taste brand there is. If there is one. Or is it all shite. Sorry.

Dunno

But I told my sister off on boxing day when she had the cheek to offer me nosecco