Author Topic: Arthur Melo  (Read 118895 times)

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Re: Arthur Melo
« Reply #40 on: September 1, 2022, 10:34:39 pm »
Glad we've got somebody in. He could make the difference in a couple of moments across the season. With fixtures ramping up it was vital to get an experienced player in.

He'll probably be made up. Football might have been hard to come by at Juventus if it had gone a bit stale for him there and he ends up joining the biggest club he's been at, and he's already played for Gremio, Barca and Juve. Not the worst CV I suppose.

I hope his impact is so profound that we feel the need to go back and sign him permanently next summer. Until then though, we'll see ...
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: September 1, 2022, 10:35:40 pm »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #42 on: September 1, 2022, 10:35:56 pm »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #43 on: September 1, 2022, 10:37:15 pm »
Juventus confirm an option to buy in the Arthur deal in an official statement. €37.5m.

Interesting. I couldn't really imagine us paying that much for him in two years time.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #44 on: September 1, 2022, 10:39:00 pm »
Good write up here:

'Fresh start for Arthur'

James Horncastle

Italian football writer on BBC Radio 5 Live

I think Juventus fans are in two mind about this. On the one hand, they think 'hang on a minute, Liverpool want this player, Jurgen Klopp wants this player.'

We've seen Juventus players go to the Premier League in the last six months, Dejan Kulusevski, Rodrigo Bentancur and do well, better for Tottenham than they did for Juventus. Is this what's going to happen with Arthur at Liverpool?

On the other hand, Arthur has had two seasons at Juventus to do something, he hasn't really done anything. That's largely because he hasn't been able to get on the pitch, he's had long protracted injury problems. This time last year he underwent surgery which kept him out. Arthur was supposed to be the poster boy of a transition at Juventus, away from the Juventus DNA into something new and different.

He was a [Maurizio] Sarri signing but Sarri was sacked a month after Arthur signed. They then appointed Andrea Pirlo who wanted to play a style of football that I think would have got the best out of Arthur but the midfield was still incomplete and Pirlo was sacked after a year of being unable to really use Arthur.

Now Juventus have gone back to Max Allegri and the style of football is different. They want more physicality and robustness in midfield and they've gone in a different direction. Arthur has wanted to leave for the last six months, he was linked with Arsenal, those links were true.

He wants to play regular first-team football in order to be in contention for the Brazil squad in Qatar. It's been a very disappointing two years for Arthur and Juventus even though he did win a couple of trophies.

It's a fresh start for Arthur but Liverpool will be hoping they get the player that Barcelona thought they were getting from Gremio rather than the player who has had two lacklustre years at Juventus.

Fitness record at Juve is the main concern.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: September 1, 2022, 10:42:55 pm »
The movie was terrible

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 1, 2022, 10:44:05 pm »
Looking at what Juve fans are saying, he seems to slow down play a lot and doesn’t really offer much in terms of creativity and forward play. He has flopped there and Barcelona now, so his record is a bit shit. But hopefully klopp gets something out of him. Worst case we just send him back anyway.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: September 1, 2022, 10:45:22 pm »
I'd like to say that there's no downside but I can't recall ever watching him play even though I know that I have.

If there's still a top player in there,the Boss will bring it out.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #48 on: September 1, 2022, 10:46:11 pm »
Looking at what Juve fans are saying, he seems to slow down play a lot and doesn’t really offer much in terms of creativity and forward play. He has flopped there and Barcelona now, so his record is a bit shit. But hopefully klopp gets something out of him. Worst case we just send him back anyway.

Well, we've needed a replacement for Gini. In all seriousness he seems to offer similar qualities, it's whether he's as tactically astute.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #49 on: September 1, 2022, 10:46:13 pm »
Good news we've got it done. Hope he can contribute in the next 8 months or so.

At least we'll have a stack of puns to make use of!
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #50 on: September 1, 2022, 10:50:13 pm »
So he's not already injured and there's an option to buy. Hopefully people can be a bit more optimistic about this now - even if he's just a decent squad player for us who brings a bit of composure to the midfield, it could make a positive difference when Thiago/Keita are out, and takes a bit of pressure off Elliott and Carvalho having to be consistent starters at a young age.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #51 on: September 1, 2022, 10:52:10 pm »
Our supporters will probably give him until March, Melo then needs to worry about the stick he’ll get and heat from the crowd.

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #52 on: September 1, 2022, 10:53:01 pm »
Looking for a starting spot, so he moves to the CL runnerups? Bold move
Wonder what Klopp has told him.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: September 1, 2022, 10:56:18 pm »

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #54 on: September 1, 2022, 10:57:06 pm »
Named after Arthur Scargill apparently. Father was a big fan. I wasn't expecting that.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #55 on: September 1, 2022, 10:58:48 pm »
He’s getting the winner on Saturday isn’t he?
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #56 on: September 1, 2022, 10:59:27 pm »
Hopefully he will train hard to try and get into the team. Regardless of whether he is a starter, currently we have so many injured that our training sessions probably aren't as good as it could be. Be good for Jones, Elliott and Carvalho to play with him so they can improve their own game.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 1, 2022, 10:59:49 pm »
Seems like a poor-man’s (not totally destitute) Thiago which is fine by me. Gives us some much needed quality in midfield. I’m pleased with this. Just hope he can adapt to Klopp’s system quickly.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Nyx

• Kemlynite
  • Has Gomez scored yet?
« Reply #58 on: September 1, 2022, 11:02:49 pm »
Welcome and good luck to him. Hopefully he can adapt quickly and get up to speed with what Klopp wants from the team.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #59 on: September 1, 2022, 11:06:11 pm »
Welcome and good luck

Offline Magz50

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 1, 2022, 11:08:01 pm »
This is gonna be a master stroke signing. Quick on the ball, press resistant, highly skilled.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 1, 2022, 11:09:45 pm »

If you are going off the Horncastle article there is a significant difference between being a first team regular and having a 'starting spot'.

If he can't get minutes in our midfield I'd imagine he'd appreciate that he is not at the level to play for Brazil in the World Cup.

Seems a decent deal to get in another body who has played at the highest level and who has something to prove. No idea how good he will be but I guess for that loan fee and whatever we are paying towards his wages it is a pretty cheap option to bolster the squad.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #62 on: September 1, 2022, 11:11:40 pm »
Well, we've needed a replacement for Gini. In all seriousness he seems to offer similar qualities, it's whether he's as tactically astute.

It's basically like this. Barca hoped he was the new Xavi. We can effectively rule that out now. Having said that, now he can either go the Wijnaldum or the Aquilani route. I would say both of those two had similar levels of talent, one maximized his to for a couple of years be a world-class midfielder and the other couldn't be bothered and preferred to just cruise around then play a fancy pass sometimes. Hopefully it's the former and he really wants to salvage his career and redeem his reputation.
Linudden.

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: September 1, 2022, 11:11:55 pm »

Is it just me or are those quite obvious photoshops? Obviously it’s an official announcement but those photos look pretty dodgy in terms of the lighting and edges of the body & shirt… perhaps he is elsewhere so they had to put together some composite pics using stock backgrounds.
He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: September 1, 2022, 11:16:02 pm »
Is it just me or are those quite obvious photoshops? Obviously it’s an official announcement but those photos look pretty dodgy in terms of the lighting and edges of the body & shirt… perhaps he is elsewhere so they had to put together some composite pics using stock backgrounds.

They're real cos there's a video as well of him walking around the training complex and an interview with him. I know what you mean though, they look a bit weird kind of like photoshops, like that Barcelona guy when Mourinho gouged Vilanova.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Elliemental

• Kopite
  • You Love Us
« Reply #65 on: September 1, 2022, 11:16:02 pm »
Named after Arthur Scargill apparently. Father was a big fan. I wasn't expecting that.

I've suddenly developed a great fondness for him and his Dad.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 1, 2022, 11:17:46 pm »

I can see how you might think that, but those are perfectly reasonable genuine lighting situations. The first, for example, has a heavily diffused flash pointing downward from well above the camera.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #67 on: September 1, 2022, 11:17:47 pm »
Wot a load of Melodrama
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline anandg_lfc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #68 on: September 1, 2022, 11:18:32 pm »
Low risk signing. Looks motivated to revamp his career and will have opportunities to do so.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: September 1, 2022, 11:19:40 pm »
https://twitter.com/arthurhromelo/status/1565458313671839750

Very proud to join this incredible club. I'm ready! @LFC

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #70 on: September 1, 2022, 11:20:41 pm »
Woe, This gets in massively

Was so good for Barca. Don’t watch Italian footy that much so not seen so much for juve

Xavi wanted him back.
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #71 on: September 1, 2022, 11:21:52 pm »

Hates Forest apparently.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #72 on: September 1, 2022, 11:22:31 pm »
Has he arrived yet?

Hope he doesn't have any mid-air delays. You know, caught between the 'Pool and Turin city.

When you get caught between the Pool and Turin City
I know it's crazy, but it's true
If you get caught between the Pool and Turin City
The best that you can do,
The best that you can do is fall in love
#JFT97

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #73 on: September 1, 2022, 11:24:28 pm »

When you get caught between the Pool and Turin City
I know it's crazy, but it's true
If you get caught between the Pool and Turin City
The best that you can do,
The best that you can do is fall in love

Get connecting flight surely
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: September 1, 2022, 11:24:36 pm »

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: September 1, 2022, 11:24:58 pm »
He’s getting the winner on Saturday isn’t he?
He's on seven goals in his entire career - I'm gonna bet no ;D

Arthur (lightsabre) expected to be out 3 months with fractured clavicle

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #76 on: September 1, 2022, 11:26:16 pm »
I have no idea whether he will be a good signing or not. However he has a great opportunity to work with a great manager and a great squad of players.

I guess he’ll start off on the bench and come on if we are protecting a lead. It will take time to adapt to our style so we may need to give him time.
#JFT97

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #77 on: September 1, 2022, 11:26:56 pm »
He's on seven goals in his entire career - I'm gonna bet no ;D
Lucas only scored a handful of goals yet nearly scored on his merseyside debut  ;D

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 1, 2022, 11:28:08 pm »
It's basically like this. Barca hoped he was the new Xavi. We can effectively rule that out now. Having said that, now he can either go the Wijnaldum or the Aquilani route. I would say both of those two had similar levels of talent, one maximized his to for a couple of years be a world-class midfielder and the other couldn't be bothered and preferred to just cruise around then play a fancy pass sometimes. Hopefully it's the former and he really wants to salvage his career and redeem his reputation.

I think that him turning out to be a peak Gini level replacement is the realistic best case scenario. Next best scenario is he plays well enough to fill that 'fringe' first team role that the likes of Keita/Henderson/Jones have at the moment. I can't see us spending 35mil on him to fill Milner's spot.

For the short term he is filling a gap that needs filling.

For what it's worth I never had an issue with Aquilani's quality/application when he was fully fit, the problem was that he was hardly ever in that position - he was always either injured or working his way back to fitness. I think you are being a little harsh on him?

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: September 1, 2022, 11:28:41 pm »
They call him Arthur Melo....quite rightly.

Nice    ;)