Author Topic: The Tablet Computing Thread  (Read 363025 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: The Tablet Computing Thread
« Reply #5200 on: September 10, 2015, 09:51:54 am »
It's more a work device this isn't it?

I'd of thought so.

I mean I suppose some may want a larger screen for just browsing and that but would probably be a little overkill for a tablet.

Offline Swissgaz

• Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5201 on: September 10, 2015, 01:20:08 pm »
However we will be increasing ticket prices by £0.50 each to pay for it.

FFS don't tell Rome-77  ::)

If your going from an iPad 2 you will notice a big improvement in productivity.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 05:05:43 pm by Swissgaz »
"Sometimes you just have to chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is" - Daniel Sturridge

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #5202 on: September 10, 2015, 02:01:12 pm »
Is there any tablet or touchscreen device (i.e. with a battery that can last more than a laptop) that can run full Football Manager games (not the handheld rubbish)?
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5203 on: September 10, 2015, 07:20:25 pm »
Don't understand the approach behind the Ipad Pro. Nor the idea behind the pen. With the Ipad mini, I understand. Smaller, easier to take it with you, fairly big screen. The Pro has a laptop sized screen. Then they keyboard. You could buy a regular bluetooth keyboard and they decided to go for something similar to Microsoft's Surface.
The pen brings everything back to Palm Pilot. Granted I've not tried it, but I tried the alternative early on because I thought I'd want to write on the screen in a 'normal' way. It was used for an hour or so, five years ago.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5204 on: September 10, 2015, 08:17:54 pm »
Don't understand the approach behind the Ipad Pro. Nor the idea behind the pen. With the Ipad mini, I understand. Smaller, easier to take it with you, fairly big screen. The Pro has a laptop sized screen. Then they keyboard. You could buy a regular bluetooth keyboard and they decided to go for something similar to Microsoft's Surface.
The pen brings everything back to Palm Pilot. Granted I've not tried it, but I tried the alternative early on because I thought I'd want to write on the screen in a 'normal' way. It was used for an hour or so, five years ago.

You've got to remember who Apple are targeting the Pro at though, which is more of the professional market. Designers and the like who use a stylus on a dear daily basis on other devices. Tasks where using your finger is too cumbersome.

Of course you'll get normal users who buy a Pro, and they won't buy a stylus as can get by just as well (better even) with their fingers.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5205 on: September 10, 2015, 11:55:22 pm »
You've got to remember who Apple are targeting the Pro at though, which is more of the professional market. Designers and the like who use a stylus on a dear daily basis on other devices. Tasks where using your finger is too cumbersome.

Of course you'll get normal users who buy a Pro, and they won't buy a stylus as can get by just as well (better even) with their fingers.

You are right. It's got to be for more advanced users. But why this? It doesn't strike me as this great new product. In the same presentation, they showed the new Apple tv and talked about the tv as the biggest screen. So you take the regular Ipad, Airplay it up to the Apple tv and why the need for the Pro? It's practically a laptop.

The pen, the drawing they showed in the presentation looked great, no doubt. But the Pro, the pen and the new keyboard strike me as uninspired. I used a bluetooth keyboard when the Ipad came out. Same with a pen. And I'd guess my old keyboard is still better than the one they presented.

In comparison, the new tv was at least news. They're on to something there, but I'm not convinced by the Pro (nor the watch). And I say this as a fan of Apple.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5206 on: September 11, 2015, 12:30:44 am »
You are right. It's got to be for more advanced users. But why this? It doesn't strike me as this great new product. In the same presentation, they showed the new Apple tv and talked about the tv as the biggest screen. So you take the regular Ipad, Airplay it up to the Apple tv and why the need for the Pro? It's practically a laptop.

The pen, the drawing they showed in the presentation looked great, no doubt. But the Pro, the pen and the new keyboard strike me as uninspired. I used a bluetooth keyboard when the Ipad came out. Same with a pen. And I'd guess my old keyboard is still better than the one they presented.

In comparison, the new tv was at least news. They're on to something there, but I'm not convinced by the Pro (nor the watch). And I say this as a fan of Apple.

I guess it depends what you're after.

I've been crying out for a larger iPad since about a month after getting my iPad 2 years ago, I've held off upgrading as this larger iPad has ben rumoured for a long while now. It's great for general surfing the net, I'm on it now sat in front of the TV and it's great for that. However if I try to do any sort of work on it beyond some simple note taking or along those lines the screen is just ridiculously small and I end up getting frustrated - more so if you need more than one app to do the job.

The larger iPad will all side by side multi tasking on a much larger screen, so it's going to be really handy for me to work on and will hopefully free me up from being stuck in my office all the time.

Airplaying it up to the TV wouldn't really work either in most work situations I'd imagine.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #5207 on: September 13, 2015, 04:33:24 pm »
I'm waiting for the new iPad to come out and getting the current iPad.

Would love some reccomendations on apps and that, that are great for an iPad.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5208 on: September 14, 2015, 12:58:48 am »
Laptop died a few weeks ago so am looking to replace it with a tablet that can do it all. So far it looks like the only suitable devices are the Surface pro 3/4, lenovo miix 700 and the Dell xps 12 that was leaked yesterday. Was hoping the ipad pro would be running full osx but it doesn't for whatever reason.

Most likely I'll go for a Surface pro 3 cause I assume the price will drop when the new one comes out.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5209 on: September 14, 2015, 07:40:18 am »
Is there any tablet or touchscreen device (i.e. with a battery that can last more than a laptop) that can run full Football Manager games (not the handheld rubbish)?

Surface Pro 3

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/products/surface-pro-3

Play any goddamn PC game you want. And not just simple games. Hell you can run stuff like Crysis on this with ease!

Pricey but well worth it. Certainly more so than the new IPad pro if you are looking at doing any kind of serious work on it.
Phuk yoo

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5210 on: September 14, 2015, 10:24:50 am »
Made me laugh...

This is genius in its foresight!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5211 on: September 14, 2015, 12:27:31 pm »

Not really. I can't think of anything Apple haven't stolen/bought/shut down.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5212 on: September 18, 2015, 11:17:25 pm »

Yes. And it concerns me that Apple decided to copy that part. It lacks imagination. Apple have copied a lot (like everyone), but they have often come up with lots of user friendly solutions. That's their thing, when they are at their best. To me it seems they have now seen some technology they want to sell, rather than solutions that people (at least speaking for myself) desire.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #5213 on: October 22, 2015, 04:32:14 pm »
looking for advice guys. Mum has a Nexus 7 (2nd generation) and wants to connect it to her HDTV, I assume its to stream sports via the mobdro app. Is there a lead that will connect direct from the tablet to her TV? (It does have HDMI ports) .

Will that allow her to watch what's on the tablet?

always sound advice here, better than Google most times!!
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5214 on: October 26, 2015, 05:15:32 am »
looking for advice guys. Mum has a Nexus 7 (2nd generation) and wants to connect it to her HDTV, I assume its to stream sports via the mobdro app. Is there a lead that will connect direct from the tablet to her TV? (It does have HDMI ports) .

Will that allow her to watch what's on the tablet?

always sound advice here, better than Google most times!!

Its quite simple if you can get your hands on a slimport to hdmi adapter.

You can look for a slimport adapter on ebay/amazon etc. Connecting is fairly simple. You just plug in the slimport adapter to the hdmi port of your TV (after connecting the smaller end to your tablet's micro usb port) and you are good to go. No settings etc required.

You can stream music and videos, play games and generally browse the internet on your TV if you have the adapter.  I do it quite often to play games and stuff.

Only caveat is the availability of the adapter.  Its not that common and where it is available , it is quite expensive for what is effectively a cable. Will cost you around 20 - 30 odd if I remember correctly.
Phuk yoo

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #5215 on: October 26, 2015, 06:09:53 pm »
I'm after a bit of advice on ipad minis. I am looking to buy a mini ipad for Christmas. There appears to be some good deals on the 2 -  16GB for £199 atm, but I am concerned that it has been around for 2 years now. The 4 is going for about £319 atm, which might make better long term sense. Can anybody give advice on the performance of the two versions, as well as give a recommendation on the storage size 16GB or 64GB. Thank you.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #5216 on: October 26, 2015, 09:42:40 pm »
I'm after a bit of advice on ipad minis. I am looking to buy a mini ipad for Christmas. There appears to be some good deals on the 2 -  16GB for £199 atm, but I am concerned that it has been around for 2 years now. The 4 is going for about £319 atm, which might make better long term sense. Can anybody give advice on the performance of the two versions, as well as give a recommendation on the storage size 16GB or 64GB. Thank you.
I recently got an iPad Air 2 16gb and still have 6gb spare space. I've got over 20 apps and photos on it. I use my iPhone for music and Spotify for iPad. I'd go for the 4 if I was you. It may be more expensive but it will have a greater lifespan than if you got the 2 in terms of Apple updates.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #5217 on: October 27, 2015, 07:55:46 am »
I recently got an iPad Air 2 16gb and still have 6gb spare space. I've got over 20 apps and photos on it. I use my iPhone for music and Spotify for iPad. I'd go for the 4 if I was you. It may be more expensive but it will have a greater lifespan than if you got the 2 in terms of Apple updates.
Thank you for the reply. That seems to make sense, the 4 will of course get the latest updates for longer. The ipad is for the kids, so space does tend to get eaten up.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #5218 on: October 27, 2015, 08:12:49 am »
Its quite simple if you can get your hands on a slimport to hdmi adapter.

You can look for a slimport adapter on ebay/amazon etc. Connecting is fairly simple. You just plug in the slimport adapter to the hdmi port of your TV (after connecting the smaller end to your tablet's micro usb port) and you are good to go. No settings etc required.

You can stream music and videos, play games and generally browse the internet on your TV if you have the adapter.  I do it quite often to play games and stuff.

Only caveat is the availability of the adapter.  Its not that common and where it is available , it is quite expensive for what is effectively a cable. Will cost you around 20 - 30 odd if I remember correctly.

managed to find a slimport adaptor on amazon that many users of the Nexus 7 have used. Was about £12.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5219 on: October 27, 2015, 11:11:14 am »
managed to find a slimport adaptor on amazon that many users of the Nexus 7 have used. Was about £12.

That is a good price!

Once you have the adapter it is simple.

- Take a standard HDMI cable and plug it into the Slimport adapter
- Insert the slimport adapter into the micro usb slot of your tablet/phone
- Switch on the TV and enjoy gthe contents of your device on a big screen  :D
Phuk yoo

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #5220 on: October 27, 2015, 12:00:05 pm »
That is a good price!

Once you have the adapter it is simple.

- Take a standard HDMI cable and plug it into the Slimport adapter
- Insert the slimport adapter into the micro usb slot of your tablet/phone
- Switch on the TV and enjoy gthe contents of your device on a big screen  :D

just had text from mum - its brilliant she says. Although she did moan at it not being in HD!!!
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5221 on: October 27, 2015, 12:21:44 pm »
just had text from mum - its brilliant she says. Although she did moan at it not being in HD!!!

Why not?? Does your moms tv support FHD (1080p)? 
The slimprt adapter can easily project full hd media onto the screen, no problem...

Phuk yoo

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #5222 on: October 27, 2015, 06:34:59 pm »
Why not?? Does your moms tv support FHD (1080p)? 
The slimprt adapter can easily project full hd media onto the screen, no problem...

It does support full he, but she's streaming sports (from mobdro). I did say if she manages to find hd streams then it should project them ok.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5223 on: November 6, 2015, 02:45:53 pm »
Is it possible to link a Galaxy Tab 4 to TV using HDMI cable to watch/stream films or sports?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Swissgaz

• Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5224 on: November 6, 2015, 09:05:42 pm »
Is it possible to link a Galaxy Tab 4 to TV using HDMI cable to watch/stream films or sports?

http://visihow.com/Connecting_a_galaxy_tab_4_10.1_to_a_hdtv
"Sometimes you just have to chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is" - Daniel Sturridge

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5225 on: November 6, 2015, 10:38:21 pm »
http://visihow.com/Connecting_a_galaxy_tab_4_10.1_to_a_hdtv

Was on that site earlier. Got no clear answer. I've got a lead with HDMI at the end, a connection for the tablet, and a USB for the charger. Plugged them all in, nothing on my tv.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5226 on: November 7, 2015, 04:33:53 am »
Do you have an MhL adapter? One end of the mhl cable goes into your tabs usb port. Plug in a standard hdmi cable into the other end of the mhl adapter.

Plug in a micro usb charger into the adapter as it needs external power.

Phuk yoo

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5227 on: November 9, 2015, 02:23:00 pm »
Do you have an MhL adapter? One end of the mhl cable goes into your tabs usb port. Plug in a standard hdmi cable into the other end of the mhl adapter.

Plug in a micro usb charger into the adapter as it needs external power.

No adapter no. Will pick one up and see if it works.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5228 on: November 9, 2015, 04:56:20 pm »
No adapter no. Will pick one up and see if it works.

You'll need one made by samsung. Generally mhl adapters are generic and can be used with any mhl enabled tablet or phone. But unfortunately, Samsung products defy this rule. They support mhl but use a slightly different adapter.

Phuk yoo

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #5229 on: November 9, 2015, 05:33:10 pm »
Have been considering getting a new iPad Pro when it comes out this week.
Still have the original iPad 1 but fancy an upgrade, the 128gb would be useful for movies and apps for my son (he is autistic/non verbal).

Just unsure as to whether it will be too big to transport on holidays etc
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5230 on: November 12, 2015, 01:13:40 pm »

Should be OK...

... so long as you check it in as hold luggage.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5231 on: November 12, 2015, 01:48:47 pm »
Have been considering getting a new iPad Pro when it comes out this week.
Still have the original iPad 1 but fancy an upgrade, the 128gb would be useful for movies and apps for my son (he is autistic/non verbal).

I've taken laptops on the plane before to watch movies, so don't see why you'd have an issue with a 13" (thin) tablet.

Will probably be getting a Pro myself soon, just want to go and have a mess about with one first before shelling out £800+ with the accessories.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #5232 on: November 12, 2015, 06:18:47 pm »
I've taken laptops on the plane before to watch movies, so don't see why you'd have an issue with a 13" (thin) tablet.

Will probably be getting a Pro myself soon, just want to go and have a mess about with one first before shelling out £800+ with the accessories.

Will probably get one, just our boy has autism and with the portable DVD player, discs, all the other stuff guess I will need to save room for the pro too.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #5233 on: December 2, 2015, 05:48:35 pm »
I have a Kindle Fire that wont turn on, the screen is blank although it is making sound. I've tried holding the button down to reset but no joy, any ideas?
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #5234 on: December 2, 2015, 06:01:15 pm »
I have a Kindle Fire that wont turn on, the screen is blank although it is making sound. I've tried holding the button down to reset but no joy, any ideas?

Is it fully charged? I know with mine, if it doesn't turn off properly it completely runs down and you have to stick it in the charger for quite awhile before it turns back on.

Offline Djibriliant

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5235 on: December 2, 2015, 06:05:27 pm »
Is it fully charged? I know with mine, if it doesn't turn off properly it completely runs down and you have to stick it in the charger for quite awhile before it turns back on.

I've got it on charge now so will see after a while, but it's making a noise with the volume and power buttons, just a blank screen.
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5236 on: December 2, 2015, 06:06:36 pm »
I've got it on charge now so will see after a while, but it's making a noise with the volume and power buttons, just a blank screen.

Hmmm no idea then. Mine usually will show that red charger battery thing if it's off charging.

Offline Djibriliant

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5237 on: December 2, 2015, 10:52:03 pm »
Tried everything and finally found a solution online. As simple as removing the back, unplugging the battery and plugging back in. As good as new!

Cheers matey :wave

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5238 on: December 3, 2015, 12:18:45 am »
Good to hear :thumbup

Also if it ever happens to mine, I know what to do now.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5239 on: December 10, 2015, 08:28:38 am »
My parents aged 66/67 have just bought an ipad. My dad has a slight idea about computers having used one in work and has a pc at home but other than using email once a week hes not really into and my mum think she can break the pc by moving the mouse. Inevitably because 20 years ago I worked in IT support job its fallen to me to teach them

I've set up itunes, apple accounts, email and set up wifi and linked the ipad to it but they've asked for more tips. I think they are under the impression there is just stuff to do but i've said you need an interest in something so get you started. I've tried iMessaging them a few photos of our baby and stuff to get them used to it and I'll download a few apps so they can get used to that side of things rather than using Safari all the time but any recommendations?

Thought of bbc sport and football related stuff for my dad, my mum i dont know shopping stuff maybe - any apps out there for beginners?

Anyone recommend a book - saw Ipad Seniors for Dummies but and Senior Ipad books but not sure how they will take that!

Wouldnt mind but they went out and bought a mini one on my sisters advice which isnt going to be great with their eyesight compared to standard or even pro version and it will never leave the house so its not for portability reason.

Cheers