Author Topic: Pre-Match Preview: Fulham v Liverpool - Sunday 17th March 14:15  (Read 16522 times)

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Fulham FC v Liverpool FC

It’s always Fulham.

In recent times, the away tie with Fulham has meant so much more than a routine match with a Premier League also-ran.*

Remember 2009?  Yossi Benayoun found an injury time winner and the away fans bounced to ‘We’re going to win the league!’ for twenty minutes after the final whistle, ignoring pleas to go home on the public address system.

Remember 2011? Maxi Rodriguez’s hat-trick in an exuberant 5-2 win ignited hopes that Kenny Dalglish’s side might accelerate all the way into the European places, a true utopia after the long, dark, ’owl of the soul that had gone before.

Remember 2014? Gerrard’s penalty on that February night, his leap in celebration, his shirt held aloft like a flag of war: we were in a title race once more.

And as we know, as is etched deep and raw on our collective memory, it all came to nothing. Or to the nowhere of second place, as the great man would have it. (Or the nowhere of sixth in 2011.)

I’m writing this after the Everton away and before Burnley. When social media twitches spasmodically with ill-expressed discontent. I have no idea how the results and the hive mind will twist and yaw between my now and this match.

Fulham, of course, are in the relegation zone and highly likely to go straight back down to the Championship. Last month, their owner, the elaborately moustachioed Shahid Khan, sacked Ranieri only three months after appointing him. Alyson Rudd, in The Times, gave the reason for Ranieri’s failure as his inability to unite the squabbling factions within the team he inherited, with Aboubakar Kamara and Aleksandar Mitrovic clashing during a therapeutic yoga and meditation class. Football provides such comedic cameos.

Scott “Scotty” Parker, the caretaker, seems better able to apply a magic sponge to seething egos. But his appointment was not greeted with uniform relief by the Fulham support. Who can blame them? Parker was the assistant to both Jokanovic and Ranieri, and apparently a major figure in the day-to-day coaching of the team. The highlight of his playing career was the 2006 Intertoto Cup and his one game as England captain, appointed - to universal bafflement  - by the insecure interim manager, Stuart Pearce, in preference to Gerrard.

Just one battling defeat to Chelsea later and Scott “Scotty” Parker became the favourite to get the job full-time. One strand of the support argues that Fulham are destined to lose the four games following the change of manager (Chelsea, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester City) and ask only that they can take pride in their performance.

This standard was apparently met by their losing by only one goal to Chelsea on March 3rd. They had chances in the match and were applauded from the pitch. Their xG was 1.2 to Chelsea’s 1.4. I didn’t see the game but stats tell me they had only 36% possession, with five of their 12 shots on target and that they favoured shooting from distance. Against Leicester, they were woeful. Obviously, with such a new, untried manager there’s little to go on. As Spurs’ Under-18 manager – the only time Parker has been in charge of a team before now – he won 12 of his 25 games, preferring a 4-3-3- or 4-2-3-1, with width provided by fullbacks. He favours attacking rather than pragmatic football and claims he won’t change now, preferring to ‘reclaim the Fulham identity’, which suggests he’s given up this season as a lost cause but fancies himself as the permanent manager engineering a bounce-back from the championship. Fulham Captain Tom Cairney is his chief cheerleader and their fans are also looking forward to seeing Ryan Sessegnon restored to a regular place, though he was brought off against Leicester. He should be deeply regretting that he passed up a chance to work with Klopp.

We should be beating them and improving the goal difference. This should, again, be a match of hope, if not wild, raw optimism. So to remember another maxim that dates from recent years (and the unlikely lips of Martin Broughton): keep the faith.

IFor it seems to me that if we don’t win honours this year, they are on their way. With this manager. With this “boot room”. With everything coming together. You can sense it, can’t you?

It’s always Liverpool. And we go again.

* Apologies to any passing Fulham supporter for the description. Fulham are a venerable team, founded in 1879, but their honours are rare enough that they list their runners-up medals and semi-final appearances on their website.

Did you know?

Fulham are looking for their first point against Liverpool since a 1-0 win at Anfield in May 2012.

None of Fulham’s 13 Premier League home meetings with Liverpool have finished as a draw, with the Cottagers winning five and losing eight.

Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah has had a hand in 12 goals in his last eight PL appearances against promoted sides, scoring six goals and producing six assists.

The Reds are unbeaten in their last 11 PL matches against promoted sides (W10 D1), winning the last eight in a row. They have scored 31 goals and conceded just four in that run since a 2-0 loss at Hull City in February 2017.

Referee: Craig Pawson
Assistants: Lee Betts, Richard West
Fourth official: Paul Tierney
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:40:11 am by Titi Camara »

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Re: Pre-Match Preview: Fulham v Liverpool - Sunday 17th March 14:15
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 08:40:36 am »
Cheers for the OP :wave

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 08:42:45 am »
Salah to get back scoring and to carry it through for the remainder of the season .

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 08:43:32 am »
Craig Pawson refereeing. Words that are enough to make anybody shudder.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 08:50:24 am »
Craig Pawson refereeing. Words that are enough to make anybody shudder.
Oh god. I look forward to watching yet another match in which important rules are literally made up on the spot by a man who wouldn't be considered fit enough to be a PE teacher in the mediocre second school of a moderately prosperous but culturally isolated town in North Yorkshire.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 08:55:51 am »
Should have enough to beat Fulham, regardless of who is the ref.

First and foremost, a win is important here as always but this is a game we should use to try and claw back the goal difference. If we can somehow claw it back to be within a few coming in to April, we have every chance of taking it on GD too, given our fixtures compared to City in the run in. Would probably need to add +3 at a minimum here though.

Online Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 08:56:14 am »
Hopefully no one takes this as gimme despite the stats.

Think Keita might get a run if he's fit and I'd expect the front 3 as it the last game before the internationals.

If Fulham are all over the place we should be able to take our chances but I'm not expecting more than a couple goals from us despite our confidence coming back.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 08:56:32 am »
Great OP. Thanks for that.

I can`t quite fathom Fulham. Looking at their squad you would think that they would comfortably avoid relegation. They have some genuinely good players that would get into sides much higher up the table, so how have they found themselves where they are ? Baffling.

There is always that nagging feeling that they have a good result in them (Fulham that is), I just don`t expect it to be against us. Our front 3 have shown real signs in the last few games of starting to click again with Bobby starting to show some top form, and obviously Sadio. Mo's drought (if you can call it that !) won`t last and I am expecting him to score a few this weekend. He had a good game against Bayern - that pass to Mane was sublime. He has had chances in the past few weeks, and it won`t be long before he starts burying them again.

3-0 to the red machine
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 08:57:28 am »
Nice one 666,  some memorable games  we’ve had there over the last decade

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 09:12:26 am »
No team has ever conceded more goals after 30 games than Fulham have (68). They've conceded 15 more than Huddersfield. Think about that, 15 more than Huddersfield who are one of the worst ever teams to grace the Premier League. Not only should we be beating this shower of turds, we should be doing it comfortably. I've seen them a few times this season, and they are absolutely abysmal. They have absolutely no fight in their team and their defense is something out of the Benny Hill school of defending. And their club can sod off after those stupid match day programe notes as well. I'll thoroughly enjoy putting in another nail in their coffin as they head down back towards the Championship.  :wave

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 10:08:11 am »
Front 3 pick themselves, but I'd expect Keita to get an outing. Salah to get back on the scoresheet too.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 10:28:50 am »
Cheers for the OP.

Hopefully there isnt a lethargic performance post European midweek fixture, any win any how is needed and Fulhams defending should be fully exploited.

Klopp talkef about fresh legs in midfield so does he rest Fabinho now and Wijnaldum as well, will Henderson and Keita be fit for the match?

Perhaps Shaqiri gets a start as well. Wouldnt surprise me if Lallana starts this one, hopefully Mo can get a goal or two for his confidence

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 10:29:51 am »
Really hope Salah gets a goal in this, he's starting to get desperate and it just isn't falling for him at the moment.

Would be nice to see Naby and Shaq given some time in this one if they're both fit enough. I think Fabinho will be rested which seemed to be the plan the other night.

Really want to see us knock a few in but any type of win at this stage will do.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 10:31:21 am »
Great place for an away game is fulham. Both for the fans and the players as they're absolute dogshit at the moment. Should win at a canter, even on tired legs and with a bit of rotation. Here's hoping we do.

Up the reds.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 10:33:47 am »
Presser..

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nDKwNHvN_6s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nDKwNHvN_6s</a>

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 10:33:49 am »
Important match for the last vestiges of hope we can close the goal difference gap - City will score 3+ against them so that’s par

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 10:38:27 am »
Come on Redmen!!
We need to go into thi swith the same determination as the last two matches and we should be fine. Our front three pick themselves and I also think Shaquiri or Lallana instead of Gini is likely with Fab and Milner making up the three.
As we have Spurs coming up I wonder if Lovren may get a run before international break or whether he will be planned to get the last 30mins?
They have been poor defensively for most of this season so as long as we are focussed we should win by a decent margin.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 10:41:11 am »
Presser..

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nDKwNHvN_6s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nDKwNHvN_6s</a>

Listened to about 30 seconds, before switching off. The same old dull questions, trying to heap pressure on him, and get responses that make headlines (and not getting them) absolutely tedious.  They may as well scrap press conferences and just issue a sheet with injury lists on for these 'journalists'. They don't deserve to be in the presense of Jürgen Klopp  :D

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 10:41:31 am »
Come on Redmen!!
We need to go into thi swith the same determination as the last two matches and we should be fine. Our front three pick themselves and I also think Shaquiri or Lallana instead of Gini is likely with Fab and Milner making up the three.
As we have Spurs coming up I wonder if Lovren may get a run before international break or whether he will be planned to get the last 30mins?
They have been poor defensively for most of this season so as long as we are focussed we should win by a decent margin.

I hope us having Spurs coming up doesn't have any impact on Lovren playing. Keep Matip in until then and if Gomez is back then he can come back in.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 10:44:19 am »
Hendo out of for the weekend, hopefully back for Spurs - Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 10:47:30 am »
Naby still a doubt will depend on his training today. Ox should be 100 percent fit after the international break

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 10:48:44 am »
Hendo out of for the weekend, hopefully back for Spurs - Klopp

he best not be anywhere near those England games either.

A nice break for Hendo will be very good at this point.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 11:01:21 am »
Naby still a doubt will depend on his training today. Ox should be 100 percent fit after the international break

Fuck me, WOW.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2019, 02:17:34 pm »

Damn, that’s crazy. Is he expected to get more minutes in the next u23’s game?

Good OP. Had some great away days at Fulham. Remember the whole stand jumping and singing the Maxi Rodrigues song.

Expect us to be on a high after the Bayern result. Any win will do of course, but to win and keep a clean sheet would be great

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2019, 02:44:40 pm »
Just down to legs really, every game is huge clearly
A win for the Liverpool country

Online vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2019, 02:44:43 pm »
Oh god. I look forward to watching yet another match in which important rules are literally made up on the spot by a man who wouldn't be considered fit enough to be a PE teacher in the mediocre second school of a moderately prosperous but culturally isolated town in North Yorkshire.

That is alarmingly specific, is there something you want to tell us?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2019, 03:25:17 pm »
Important match for the last vestiges of hope we can close the goal difference gap - City will score 3+ against them so that’s par

Yeah really no excuses against this defense, need to score and win any way any how, need to be clinical and aggressive in our performance.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2019, 03:51:21 pm »
If Henderson is out and Naby still a doubt then I think Lallana starting is a given - perhaps for Gini.

Think this might be the game to bring Lovren back in? Given the physicality of Mitrovic?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2019, 03:55:45 pm »
My thinking

Becker,Trent,Matip,Van Dijk,Robertson  Fabinho Lallana Milner  Shaqiri Salah Mane

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2019, 04:19:55 pm »
Damn, that’s crazy. Is he expected to get more minutes in the next u23’s game?

There isnt another u23 game until April 8th I think so wouldnt be surprised if we organize a behind closed door game during the international break

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2019, 04:54:10 pm »
Thanks for the OP mate :wave
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2019, 05:01:59 pm »
They're a truly awful team and are deservedly going down.  Parker is saying they'll attack as just bunkering in is a death sentence since they can't defend.  Barring an accident which injures the whole team or a meteor hitting the stadium while we're playing there is almost no reasonable way we shouldn't get all 3 points here.  I guess Pawson going crazy is possible but still even with 9 men we should win.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2019, 05:08:37 pm »
My thinking

Becker,Trent,Matip,Van Dijk,Robertson  Fabinho Lallana Milner  Shaqiri Salah Mane

Bobby's just had a bit of a rest with those 2 games he was out for [not a traditional rest perhaps but...well]. Salah isn't going away for international break [I don't think?]. Wonder if the one to rest is Mane, though he's in such rich form it would feel odd to break his 'flow'. Good change we see the midfield you've put I think, and wouldn't be surprised to see Lovren in for Matip.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2019, 05:37:48 pm »
Fulham in 2014 was the moment I truly believed we were going to win the title for the first time that season.

Great memories of Craven Cottage.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2019, 05:53:56 pm »
Bobby's just had a bit of a rest with those 2 games he was out for [not a traditional rest perhaps but...well]. Salah isn't going away for international break [I don't think?]. Wonder if the one to rest is Mane, though he's in such rich form it would feel odd to break his 'flow'. Good change we see the midfield you've put I think, and wouldn't be surprised to see Lovren in for Matip.

Yeah Mo has two weeks off. I'd rather keep Mane in, as he's in fantastic form.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2019, 06:03:07 pm »
These lot are a shambles defensively though they did give Chelsea a run for their money the other week. We wont take them lightly but really hope we hammer them and go in to the break on top.

I would go with

Alisson
Trent
Matip
VVD
Robertson
Fab
Gini
Lallana
Mane
Bobby
Salah

get the job done early and get the likes of Big Div and Shaq on.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2019, 06:05:05 pm »
These lot are a shambles defensively though they did give Chelsea a run for their money the other week. We wont take them lightly but really hope we hammer them and go in to the break on top.

I would go with

Alisson
Trent
Matip
VVD
Robertson
Fab
Gini
Lallana
Mane
Bobby
Salah

get the job done early and get the likes of Big Div and Shaq on.

Spot on that for me

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2019, 06:23:11 pm »
Fulham in 2014 was the moment I truly believed we were going to win the title for the first time that season.

Great memories of Craven Cottage.

Same with Fulham 2009  :-\

Both times we've challenged for the title in the recent times, we've won at Craven Cottage in stoppage time in a dramatic manner.

Hope this one isn't as complicated and nail-baiting. They're complete shit

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2019, 07:19:36 pm »
Yeah Mo has two weeks off. I'd rather keep Mane in, as he's in fantastic form.

How did we manage to wrangle that?
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2019, 07:37:59 pm »

How did we manage to wrangle that?

Egypt are already qualified and their coach isn't calling him up or some of the other important players for it