Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399508 times)

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #5720 on: February 12, 2019, 12:14:14 am »
Haha what a stellar anaylisis from this site,  have ran the maths (note the fucking s matt Damon with a mop) through my super computer, and against United I forsee three likely outcomes,  we win, draw or lose. There may be no goals or many goals if Phil Jones turnsout

Wow, you're a peach.  Again if you have a problem with math then maybe there are bigger issues you're ignoring.

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5721 on: February 12, 2019, 12:17:08 am »
Wow, you're a peach.  Again if you have a problem with math then maybe there are bigger issues you're ignoring.

All of this is fair comment.
No time for caution.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5722 on: February 12, 2019, 02:24:53 am »
Crucial match at Old Trafford, a win would be huge though a draw is acceptable for me as the title would still be in our hand.
Believer

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #5723 on: February 12, 2019, 02:54:45 am »
The reason why their odds have increased over the last two matches is simply because they're running out of difficult matches. They have what, just Spurs and United from the top six to come? We have United, Chelsea, Spurs, and Everton. Everton are nowhere near the top teams and are shite but it's a derby and you can bet your mortgage they'll be putting in a lot more effort than they did against City. Even if we beat United at Old Trafford, I'd still have them as favorites from a stats/bookies' perspective.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5724 on: February 12, 2019, 03:11:59 am »
The reason why their odds have increased over the last two matches is simply because they're running out of difficult matches. They have what, just Spurs and United from the top six to come? We have United, Chelsea, Spurs, and Everton. Everton are nowhere near the top teams and are shite but it's a derby and you can bet your mortgage they'll be putting in a lot more effort than they did against City. Even if we beat United at Old Trafford, I'd still have them as favorites from a stats/bookies' perspective.

While that makes sense, three out of their 4 games they've lost have been to the lower sides they were expected to beat.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5725 on: February 12, 2019, 03:20:27 am »

If we beat United, I think we will win the league.. The win against United will give us huge confidence and sow doubt in City's mind, just like City's win over Chelsea has done to parts of our fanbase and the TV pundits community and media in general..

The importance of the United game cannot be ignored or understated..   Make no mistake, it is huge.. absolutely huge, even if a cut throat historical rivalry didn't exist.. The fact that it does just makes it an absolute Godzilla of a match for me..

What makes this match difficult is their great form at the moment and our recent record at OT..
But on the positive side, this is probably the first time Klopp will face a Soljskaer team. They clearly like to give it a go now and hopefully that plays into our hands.. Their narrow and nervy win at Spurs gives me confidence because they got battered by Spurs and their back four and midfield seemed to be exposed against a top quality side like Spurs. Only teen wolf's heroics got them over the line..

Going into the match, I would say its 50-50.. And at this stage, the most important thing for me is that we don't get beat.. I can settle for not losing at OT.. a win would be huge and possibly historic..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5726 on: February 12, 2019, 04:13:53 am »
If we deserve to be champions we will have to beat teams like United.

They will be up for it for sure, but so will we. Unfortunately they will not play as ineffectually as their last game under Mourinho, but I am confident that we will be more effective in the attack and more solid in the defence. Pogba needs to be muzzled in midfield.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5727 on: February 12, 2019, 04:22:29 am »
Beating United alone doesn't guarantee anything. As important as it is, we have to win the other games as well.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #5728 on: February 12, 2019, 04:37:37 am »
While that makes sense, three out of their 4 games they've lost have been to the lower sides they were expected to beat.

Of course. I still think they'll drop points myself, but on paper those are the only two matches where I think they'll be slight favorites instead of heavy favorites. You'd expect them to win all the others on paper, except maybe the Spurs and United matches.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5729 on: February 12, 2019, 06:33:49 am »
A draw against United wouldn't be that bad. Getting 4 points from them this season is pretty good.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #5730 on: February 12, 2019, 07:02:25 am »
We're going to tonk Utd though! ;)

There is nothing this team isn't prepared for(except an Ancelotti-style suffocation and compression of the midfield).

United will do what they tried so many times in our game earlier this season, but couldn't not succeed: Do what West Ham did on setpieces. That- and wingplay, will prolly be their only tactics to score goals. I'm not worried about our left, but we need Fabinho to be more alert to assist on the right. They'll target Fabinho seeing as though he's edged in their collective mindset. Like a moth to a flame! ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 07:34:34 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5731 on: February 12, 2019, 07:44:43 am »
I still think we could do with beating United. A draw wouldn't be the worst result. I just feel winning our most difficult game on paper we have left, would do wonders for us. In saying that, counts for nothing then if we drop points in the following games.

I think 92 points will be the absolute minimum required to win this league. We can get it, but can only drop points in 3-4 games max. Get to the otherside of the Chelsea game at Anfield top, I think we win it. After that we have cardiff(a), Huddersfield(h), Newcastle(A) and Wolves(H). In comparison, Citys final 4 games are Spurs (H), Burnley (A), Leicester (H) and Brighton (A).

Now, you can say we have more teams likely to be in a relegation scrap, though Huddersfield will be long gone by then. Fulham too. Thats leaves only 1 position available. We could do with Brighton and Burnley getting deeper in to this relegation scrap and Newcastle and Cardiff getting a few wins. It would likely help us out.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #5732 on: February 12, 2019, 07:51:47 am »
We could do with PSG giving them a bad defeat tonight. Even if they somehow manage to survive it I still think we have a good chance. We are due a win at OT.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #5733 on: February 12, 2019, 08:01:13 am »
6 of our remaining 12 games are against the current bottom 6!!

I know they’re going to be fighting for survival etc but we should be battering them. Wolves will be on the beach as well come our last game.

7 points from United Everton and Spurs and I think we’ll do it
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5734 on: February 12, 2019, 08:21:37 am »
We could do with PSG giving them a bad defeat tonight. Even if they somehow manage to survive it I still think we have a good chance. We are due a win at OT.

I reckon they get a result tonight. Two of PSG's best players out. It'll probably be a score draw or narrow United win.

While I am nervous about our game with them, they are in better form and their spirits are high - it may just play in to our hands. Oleh has to be seen to playing the United (Ferguson) way. They will come out and attack us and they may well score one or two, however, they will also be leaving their poor defence exposed to our pacey and slick attacking trio. Crucial we score the first goal. Score first, we don't lose. If United score first, it'll be difficult to win.

Can't remember the last time I felt like this playing United. In the Europa league maybe. Even then, I was less nervous. Probably back at OT in 08/09. More of the same please.  :wave

Offline KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #5735 on: February 12, 2019, 08:33:41 am »
I don't know, I  think I could live with them drawing their next 2 games to.keep the unbeaten run going until Klopp's tricky reds come to town to piss on their parade. I'm then fine with PSG and Chelsea doing them in the return fixtures.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #5736 on: February 12, 2019, 09:00:35 am »
I reckon they get a result tonight. Two of PSG's best players out. It'll probably be a score draw or narrow United win.

While I am nervous about our game with them, they are in better form and their spirits are high - it may just play in to our hands. Oleh has to be seen to playing the United (Ferguson) way. They will come out and attack us and they may well score one or two, however, they will also be leaving their poor defence exposed to our pacey and slick attacking trio. Crucial we score the first goal. Score first, we don't lose. If United score first, it'll be difficult to win.

Can't remember the last time I felt like this playing United. In the Europa league maybe. Even then, I was less nervous. Probably back at OT in 08/09. More of the same please.  :wave

Agree, PSG still have Mbappé and a very capable midfield. They can be snidey too, which we saw when we visited them just a few months ago. They will be happy with a draw or a narrow defeat, because the second leg at home will enable them to stuff ManUtd.

Regarding our match against them, I think their intense schedule will catch up with them. PSG, Chelsea and us in a week is bound to leave marks on a squad not at his physical best. Chelsea at home in the cup will be no pushovers, they also beat Spurs when they had to and perform much better in the Cups anyway. We have the perfect preparation with a few days off, a training camp and an European tie against fellow heavyweights Bayern to set our rythm.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #5737 on: February 12, 2019, 10:06:02 am »
seeing a lot of "we could do with..." in recent posts so why fuck the trend  ;D

We could do with the teams facing City being in form when they play them, as opposed to being void of any confidence like Everton recently, and it seems Chelsea.....who have been on a bit of a downturn even before they got spanked.

Just hope these teams have the good grace of being similarly shit when we play them (i know not likely), we also face United soon who have been flying so would rather they get knocked down a peg or two before we play just to give them a bit of doubt for us to play with.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #5738 on: February 12, 2019, 10:49:58 am »
6 of our remaining 12 games are against the current bottom 6!!

Those teams are fighting for their lives in the run-in. In the run-in midtable tables are already eyeing their holidays.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5739 on: February 12, 2019, 10:53:22 am »
Those teams are fighting for their lives in the run-in. In the run-in midtable tables are already eyeing their holidays.

Yeah, and they are fully focused on that, since they don't have to play in any other competition.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5740 on: February 12, 2019, 11:00:12 am »
Yeah, and they are fully focused on that, since they don't have to play in any other competition.

We'll beat every single one of them.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Red Being

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5741 on: February 12, 2019, 11:52:37 am »
If injuries don't bother us again, we can do it. Or rather we WILL do it. It is only injuries that has pegged us back. One may look back at the leicester and west ham games, but with a full team, we would've won at least one of them. Hope to God, No more injuries.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #5742 on: February 12, 2019, 12:03:39 pm »
Whilst the last break didn't help in terms of getting players fit (they got ill instead) and we had a tiny bit of rustiness through not playing, I think it plays into our hands that we have a CL game at home to start with.

Since it will not be a league game the pressure will not be as intense and as it's a CL game the crowd will be in full voice. Even though we could've had an easier tie, having Bayern means that both the players and the fans will be up for it. As long as we don't get beaten (on the night) confidence will stay high if not get higher. Being a Tuesday means we get enough rest before the Utd game (with VVD to come back into the side).

This CL campaign should be looked at as a free pass - it's not the most important thing so it should relax the players and conversely might help us go further.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5743 on: February 12, 2019, 12:58:49 pm »
Looking over the football calendar, the international break on the 23rd of March could play a part in deciding where the title ends up.  Hopefully the warm weather training keeps our players fresh and injury free.

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #5744 on: February 12, 2019, 01:06:33 pm »
I think we should try win all our remaining games by scoring more goals than the other teams.

Offline welshred1976

• Legacy Fan
  • make us dream
« Reply #5745 on: February 12, 2019, 01:31:18 pm »
Whilst the last break didn't help in terms of getting players fit (they got ill instead) and we had a tiny bit of rustiness through not playing, I think it plays into our hands that we have a CL game at home to start with.

Since it will not be a league game the pressure will not be as intense and as it's a CL game the crowd will be in full voice. Even though we could've had an easier tie, having Bayern means that both the players and the fans will be up for it. As long as we don't get beaten (on the night) confidence will stay high if not get higher. Being a Tuesday means we get enough rest before the Utd game (with VVD to come back into the side).

This CL campaign should be looked at as a free pass - it's not the most important thing so it should relax the players and conversely might help us go further.

I'm clinging on to anything positive, so I'm having all of that :)
“The status of the club is incredible, but it’s only until you come in it that you understand everything that goes on with the football club, with the Hillsborough Support Group ... it’s more than a football club, this is a way of life." Mr. Rodgers

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #5746 on: February 12, 2019, 02:37:41 pm »
I think we should try win all our remaining games by scoring more goals than the other teams.

Not really sure whether that is the best approach if I'm honest ;)
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #5747 on: February 12, 2019, 03:19:40 pm »
I've thought it all along .... in the 30th anniversary year, we will fittingly win the league with 96pts.

(1 defeat and 1 draw between now and the end)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 03:21:52 pm by Red_Rich »
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5748 on: February 12, 2019, 03:28:49 pm »

Last week didn't help because we've had disruptions to our preparations due to various illnesses and injuries [Fabinho,Henderson,Milner,Van Dijk,Wijnaldum were all affected by one or the other]

Offline chemeddy

• Main Stander
« Reply #5749 on: February 13, 2019, 04:51:14 am »
538 isn't making much sense to me. We are at 51%, Shitty at 47%. That's much closer than it was before the weekend.

It's also predicting that we both end on 92 points, with them having a better goal difference.

92 is a rounded figure. Multiply the wins by 3 and draws by 1 and you will see a difference in the predicted points for both teams.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #5750 on: February 13, 2019, 06:19:45 am »

"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5751 on: February 13, 2019, 07:06:19 am »
Hopefully United's loss to PSG lat night in the champion's league would have battered their self confidence in time for the match against us.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #5752 on: February 13, 2019, 07:33:55 am »
Regardless of what happens in the PSG game the Mancs will always be up for our game.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5753 on: February 13, 2019, 09:07:04 am »
Regardless of what happens in the PSG game the Mancs will always be up for our game.

They will. And it will still be tough and tribal. But last night showed the hype around them had gone a bit OTT and PSG had a good template of how to beat them. Don’t over commit and let them catch you on the counter and the superior quality should shine through.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5754 on: February 13, 2019, 09:08:29 am »
They will. And it will still be tough and tribal. But last night showed the hype around them had gone a bit OTT and PSG had a good template of how to beat them. Don’t over commit and let them catch you on the counter and the superior quality should shine through.

On paper we are better than United at present so the team will need to prove this on the field.

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5755 on: February 13, 2019, 09:21:03 am »
PSG showed the world that Man U is not a top top team  ;) The gulf in standard between both the teams is pretty huge. When we played PSG, we look so much more competative.

And all this with PSG missing 3 of their top top players.

So when we do meet MU at their "theater of dreams", we should just play our normal high-intensity game which should be enough to beat them.  If Martial and Lingard are out, then play a high-line and suffocate their midfield and defence.

Even if we have a bad game against Munich, the players should still show 100% passion for this game.

BTW......Di maria is awesome....haha
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:24:04 am by Bolrick »
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5756 on: February 13, 2019, 09:25:31 am »
Hopefully United's loss to PSG lat night in the champion's league would have battered their self confidence in time for the match against us.

If they lose to chelsea in the FA cup.....wow, that will be perfect too.
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #5757 on: February 13, 2019, 09:26:43 am »
Their best chance against us is having emotions run the game

We play our football...we beat them. Because its better....just dont get caught up in it all which is easier said than done given the fixture it is. But our lads have done this for years over Everton so its more of the same approach really
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #5758 on: February 13, 2019, 10:42:41 am »
If we beat United, I think we will win the league.. The win against United will give us huge confidence and sow doubt in City's mind, just like City's win over Chelsea has done to parts of our fanbase and the TV pundits community and media in general..

The importance of the United game cannot be ignored or understated..   Make no mistake, it is huge.. absolutely huge, even if a cut throat historical rivalry didn't exist.. The fact that it does just makes it an absolute Godzilla of a match for me..

What makes this match difficult is their great form at the moment and our recent record at OT..
But on the positive side, this is probably the first time Klopp will face a Soljskaer team. They clearly like to give it a go now and hopefully that plays into our hands.. Their narrow and nervy win at Spurs gives me confidence because they got battered by Spurs and their back four and midfield seemed to be exposed against a top quality side like Spurs. Only teen wolf's heroics got them over the line..

Going into the match, I would say its 50-50.. And at this stage, the most important thing for me is that we don't get beat.. I can settle for not losing at OT.. a win would be huge and possibly historic..

Yes this is a huge, huge game. I really do fancy us here but I also worry because they have nothing to lose. They can be 2-0 up in 20 mins. I think Klopp will go with Gini, Fabinho and Henderson for this game. I will take a 0-0 for the first half and then we can bring on Keita and Shaqiri
Justice for the 96

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5759 on: February 13, 2019, 10:57:08 am »
If Martial and Lingard are both out that will massively affect them. They're so slow with Lukaku up top and Mata/Sanchez in the side. We could really go at them and not be worrying about getting caught on the break.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:59:38 am by Uncle Ronnie »