Author Topic: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez  (Read 774522 times)

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Joseph Gomez
« Reply #1160 on: June 5, 2017, 03:13:41 pm »
Does Klopp only see Gomez as a centre back?

Can't recall him playing full back since Klopp joined LFC.

Maybe his injury meant he wasn't able to play full back anymore with the extra twisting and turning you have to do in that position?

It appears he'll start the season, 4th choice CB (at best).  I know he'd probably get games in League Cup etc.

However I just think it is a shame that he isn't considered at full back as he looked so promising in that position when used.  He was mainly LB, but even when played at RB he looks very good all round - defensively and going forwards.

With his extra height, it could as help against the tall sides like West Brom, having the option of Gomez at RB or LB, which in effect is another CB in the team to help deal with the set plays.

Just wonder what everyone elses thoughts are on Gomez?  I still have really high hopes for him.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1161 on: June 5, 2017, 03:55:26 pm »

Maybe his injury meant he wasn't able to play full back anymore with the extra twisting and turning you have to do in that position?

It appears he'll start the season, 4th choice CB (at best).  I know he'd probably get games in League Cup etc.

However I just think it is a shame that he isn't considered at full back as he looked so promising in that position when used.  He was mainly LB, but even when played at RB he looks very good all round - defensively and going forwards.

With his extra height, it could as help against the tall sides like West Brom, having the option of Gomez at RB or LB, which in effect is another CB in the team to help deal with the set plays.

Just wonder what everyone elses thoughts are on Gomez?  I still have really high hopes for him.

I doubt we'll see him at full back again, Klopp likes attackers in those positions and as solid as he was at left back his attacking was nonexistent. I can see him taking over from Lucas or Klavan when one of them depart, but there's no rush after his long-term injury I'd imagine.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1162 on: June 5, 2017, 05:11:17 pm »
I doubt we'll see him at full back again, Klopp likes attackers in those positions and as solid as he was at left back his attacking was nonexistent. I can see him taking over from Lucas or Klavan when one of them depart, but there's no rush after his long-term injury I'd imagine.

I suspect you are right with regards to full back.

I disagree that his attacking was nonexistent though.  Actually I thought it was quite promising.

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #1163 on: June 7, 2017, 11:28:20 am »
Can't wait to see more of this lad next season.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1164 on: June 17, 2017, 02:38:46 pm »
Joe Gomez to stay at Liverpool after being given assurances over game time: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10917702/joe-gomez-to-stay-at-liverpool-next-season

And he pulled out of the England U21 squad in an effort to focus on rebuilding his fitness: https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/06/joe-gomez-opted-england-u21-duty-summers-european-championship/

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1165 on: June 17, 2017, 02:59:48 pm »
Madness to keep him here.

He's missed two seasons of critical footballing development, he needs like 30+ starts next season to get back on track and he won't get anywhere near that number here. Possibly not even half that.

Offline heylookitsjacob

• 's Cream Crackers
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1166 on: June 18, 2017, 03:42:12 am »

Absolute madness!!!!

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #1167 on: June 18, 2017, 08:02:12 am »

He's missed two seasons of critical footballing development...

yeah, his development would be one step beyond if it wasn't for the injuries
The change is cast

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1168 on: June 18, 2017, 11:20:17 am »

He's missed two seasons of critical footballing development, he needs like 30+ starts next season to get back on track and he won't get anywhere near that number here. Possibly not even half that.

4 competitions next season, he'll get plenty of chances mate.

Reckon he'll be a main stay in the team in Domestic cup runs, would much rather him be here and play into Klopps philosophy than somewhere in the Championship playing route one football that simply won't transfer to how we're going to play.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1169 on: June 18, 2017, 11:41:14 am »

I agree.  Would love to see him loaned out to a team like Huddersfield so he can get those starts and the playing time that he needs.  I can't imagine he'll be seeing much time other then in cups unless we have a massive injury crisis. 

Offline Gonza

• Main Stander
« Reply #1170 on: June 18, 2017, 11:47:19 am »
4 competitions next season, he'll get plenty of chances mate.

Reckon he'll be a main stay in the team in Domestic cup runs, would much rather him be here and play into Klopps philosophy than somewhere in the Championship playing route one football that simply won't transfer to how we're going to play.
On top of that he'll be kept fit through the u23s whilst waiting for an opportunity if and when it arises in the League. He is pretty much back up to Matip on the right centre back. Still only 20 so plenty of years ahead of him for a cb.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1171 on: June 18, 2017, 12:39:48 pm »
I wouldn't mind Gomez getting the pre-season to try and beat out Klavan for 4th choice. If he can then I'd trade Klavan and keep Gomez, otherwise, yeah loan him but I don't think it's a decision to be made in June.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #1172 on: June 18, 2017, 03:42:42 pm »

Yeah, needs regular top games to kick on now. Only hope I have is Klopp has a change of heart or he makes himself first choice through sheer performance during pre-season.

Offline leiva-pool

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1173 on: June 19, 2017, 05:37:19 pm »
If we're signing another centre back he needs to go out on loan and get a proper season behind him. Other option is to keep him as back up full back if we dont sign anyone else.
Gary Neville is a c*nt - FACT!!!

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1174 on: June 25, 2017, 07:05:22 pm »
Absolute madness!!!!

It would be an embarrassment
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #1175 on: June 26, 2017, 06:17:08 am »
It would be an embarrassment
He's done too much, much too young...

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1176 on: June 26, 2017, 08:54:47 am »
He's so special.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1177 on: July 5, 2017, 07:01:28 pm »
Thoughts on Klopp perhaps using this lad as an alternative left back should he prove his fitness?

Could save us a fair bit of money.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline heylookitsjacob

• 's Cream Crackers
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1178 on: July 5, 2017, 07:20:17 pm »
Thoughts on Klopp perhaps using this lad as an alternative left back should he prove his fitness?

I think the traditional argument is that Gomez doesn't have the right play style for a left back under Klopp. But I'm just not sure how persuasive this argument really is; it really depends on our transfer business. If we end up with Milner as our starting left back, I could totally see Gomez being tried at left back. I would imagine that they probably play that position fairly similarly. If Klopp wants to go more attacking like us fans have always thought he would with the "right" personnel, then I'm sure Gomez won't get a look in that position.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #1179 on: July 5, 2017, 07:22:15 pm »
It's definitely worth trying him at left back in the pre-season games.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1180 on: July 5, 2017, 07:27:15 pm »
Milner has proven over the years that he has the stamina to get up and down all game, even if he's blowing out of his arse after half an hour :D

Not sure Gomez does, he may do though. Would be delighted if he can find a place in the squad where he can get enough minutes to develop, he and Ings have had absolutely rotten luck with injuries.
« Last Edit: July 5, 2017, 07:31:29 pm by rowan_d »

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1181 on: July 5, 2017, 07:32:16 pm »
I think the traditional argument is that Gomez doesn't have the right play style for a left back under Klopp. But I'm just not sure how persuasive this argument really is; it really depends on our transfer business. If we end up with Milner as our starting left back, I could totally see Gomez being tried at left back. I would imagine that they probably play that position fairly similarly. If Klopp wants to go more attacking like us fans have always thought he would with the "right" personnel, then I'm sure Gomez won't get a look in that position.

It's been that long since Joe Gomez played I've kind of forgotten what his main attributes are. I know he had pace to burn and I know he was pretty strong. I also know he played right back for Charlton for a good while. So perhaps he can be converted into a Jurgen Klopp type left back. I suppose it depends on how much his injuries have taken out of him. And whether or not Jurgen thinks it's a good idea to try him out there.
« Last Edit: July 5, 2017, 07:34:05 pm by Lycan »
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #1182 on: July 5, 2017, 07:50:28 pm »

Doubt it. He could probably do it again but I think the best thing, if not a loan, is for Joe to take Klavan's place after pre-season. The dreamland scenario is of course Joe looks an absolute monster during pre-season and goes in as first choice mind.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1183 on: July 29, 2017, 07:13:28 pm »

Glad Klopp has tried him at full back now and I think he's doing very well in that position.

Certainly a different option, given his extra height.

Promising signs.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1184 on: July 29, 2017, 08:19:04 pm »
He did a fine job today I thought, looking forward to seeing more of him.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1185 on: July 29, 2017, 08:30:06 pm »
Has a real chance of starting the season for us at rb

Offline Escorcio

• Kopite
« Reply #1186 on: July 29, 2017, 08:34:12 pm »
Did well
Probably more solid defensively than Trent but not sure he offers as much going forward. Often seemed to just come back inside and play a pass rather than troubling the fullback / putting in a dangerous cross

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1187 on: July 29, 2017, 08:37:04 pm »
Has a real chance of starting the season for us at rb

for sure.

Kloppo's comments after todays game are very positive about him too:

"Last night I had another talk with him. When I came in, I saw him for 20 minutes playing in the U21 and then I saw the injury and I thought, 'Oh my God'. Everybody told me what a wonderful player he is, what a great talent and all that stuff. When he came back, he was injured, when he came back he was heavy - a lot of muscles where you don't need muscles if you don't want to go to the beach or whatever. We had to work on this and now he's back. He lost weight, he's really fit, he looks sharp, that's right. [There are] still things to improve - [his] heading was really good today but he can improve, he needs to be a little bit more aggressive. In the full-back position he is unbelievably important for us now because Clyne had no pre-season so far; Trent is a fantastic player but also just 18 and offensively he is probably ready but in defence he needs to improve a lot. We need these different options and it's good to have him back."

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #1188 on: July 29, 2017, 08:44:03 pm »
for sure.

"Last night I had another talk with him. When I came in, I saw him for 20 minutes playing in the U21 and then I saw the injury and I thought, 'Oh my God'. Everybody told me what a wonderful player he is, what a great talent and all that stuff. When he came back, he was injured, when he came back he was heavy - a lot of muscles where you don't need muscles if you don't want to go to the beach or whatever. We had to work on this and now he's back. He lost weight, he's really fit, he looks sharp, that's right. [There are] still things to improve - [his] heading was really good today but he can improve, he needs to be a little bit more aggressive. In the full-back position he is unbelievably important for us now because Clyne had no pre-season so far; Trent is a fantastic player but also just 18 and offensively he is probably ready but in defence he needs to improve a lot. We need these different options and it's good to have him back."

Good for Gomez! Interesting comments from Klopp about reshaping Gomez's body. Looks really fit right now. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 09:01:08 pm by wemmick »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1189 on: July 29, 2017, 08:54:17 pm »
He has worked really hard and I'm happy that things are going in the right direction now. It's all about options this season, and lot's of them.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline asim173

• Main Stander
« Reply #1190 on: July 29, 2017, 09:00:27 pm »
for sure.

Positive words from the boss. Is definitely a solid option at RB - anyone remember the game against Arsenal 2 seasons ago? Was absolutely boss that game.

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1191 on: July 29, 2017, 09:19:37 pm »

Joe Gomez is an absolute head!

I didn't really think much of his performance today but seem's everybody else did so  :scarf just nice to see him fit and playing in a red shirt again, good option across the back four this season.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1192 on: July 29, 2017, 09:29:20 pm »
Positive words from the boss. Is definitely a solid option at RB - anyone remember the game against Arsenal 2 seasons ago? Was absolutely boss that game.

I remember it, people were terrified that Walcott was gonna roast him for days. Gomez shut him down for pretty much the entire game.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1193 on: July 30, 2017, 12:05:18 am »

Get him on the first night boat to Cairo
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1194 on: July 30, 2017, 12:19:28 am »
Mad to think kloppo told him to lose weight, usually for a CB you'd expect the boss to tell them to bulk up a little bit, unless the gaffa prefers him as a fullback

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1195 on: July 30, 2017, 01:51:39 am »
Mad to think kloppo told him to lose weight, usually for a CB you'd expect the boss to tell them to bulk up a little bit, unless the gaffa prefers him as a fullback

Look at the picture above, he's still way hencher than Solanke after losing the weight. Klopp must have thought he was at the point where the bulk was effecting his acceleration and stamina which is no good in any position.

Klopp said it himself: "you only need muscles like that if you're only going to the beach".
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 01:54:14 am by Aceldama »

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1196 on: July 30, 2017, 01:54:55 am »
Look at the picture above, he's still way hencher than Solanke after losing the weight. Klopp must have thought he was at the point where the bulk was effecting his acceleration and stamina which is no good in any position.
Fair enough, still think it's better to be henchier as a CB than a ST though but clearly Klopp has something on his mind!

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #1197 on: July 30, 2017, 08:27:58 am »
He looks ridiculously classy on the ball. Agger level good. Would like to see him start a pre-season game at CB and get some real minutes there against some good teams.

Not terribly excited about the prospect about him playing RB. He'd do a decent job there if we're set up to defend, but he doesn't look confident when further up the pitch and provided with the opportunity to dribble or cross at all.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #1198 on: July 30, 2017, 09:02:08 am »

look at all the top CB's out there, they're all extremely well built but none are huge. Making yourself bigger makes you turn slower and means you become incredibly easy to beat. Micah Richards was criticised  for the not losing the muscle I think and was prone to big injuries and it made him incredibly easy to beat in 1v1's for an good winger. Also see Martin Kelly post cruciate as well, only Brendan didn't tell him to cut the bulk.

Fair play to klopp for the call it should help Joe massively in the long run.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #1199 on: July 30, 2017, 09:12:14 am »
He looks ridiculously classy on the ball. Agger level good. Would like to see him start a pre-season game at CB and get some real minutes there against some good teams.

Not terribly excited about the prospect about him playing RB. He'd do a decent job there if we're set up to defend, but he doesn't look confident when further up the pitch and provided with the opportunity to dribble or cross at all.

I get the part about his attacking game and incredibly small sample and all but whenever I've seen him play, he's looked more solid as a FB rather than CB. Not saying he can't/won't play as a CB but strikes me as a player that if you want to use as a CB he would flourish more in a back 3 (as one of the wide CBs) rather than in a back 2.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.