Author Topic: The Alternative Premier League Table 2018-19  (Read 237399 times)

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Alternative Premier League Table 2018-19
« Reply #1440 on: April 21, 2019, 10:10:04 pm »
There is absolutely no way that City are dropping points now. It's over.

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1441 on: April 21, 2019, 10:11:19 pm »
It's not just about who you play... It's about where you play...

Home advantage in football is huge.  Just look at the data and history.  Playing in front of your home fans, on a familiar pitch, without the travel and disruption to daily rhythm etc.  Going away from home to any team with a bit of fight is never easy.

Cardiff will be difficult for us tomorrow and Burnley though for them.

I think you mean that they'll beat Burnley 7-0. At least I thought that's what you meant to type.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #1442 on: April 22, 2019, 02:30:16 am »
This is fucking mental. I'd take there being a chance going into Wolves now, whether it's us with the advantage or them. If we both win until then, it'll be the closest we've got to the title since I've watched us. If I'm correct we needed West Ham to win on the last day in 2014 and us to win. If we both win till then we would need Brighton to draw and us to win. Obviously hope they drop before then but it's definitely an easier equation, even if there is the prospect of it being even more heartbreaking as to how close we could get and not win. They've thrown absolutely everything at it and I'm swelling with pride at following this glorious footie team. We're gonna reach 90 points. Whatever happens, I wasn't sure we would reach that at the start and had that as an upper target. To (presumably) make that total is a fantastic feat whatever happens.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1443 on: April 22, 2019, 10:14:24 am »
This is fucking mental. I'd take there being a chance going into Wolves now, whether it's us with the advantage or them. If we both win until then, it'll be the closest we've got to the title since I've watched us. If I'm correct we needed West Ham to win on the last day in 2014 and us to win. If we both win till then we would need Brighton to draw and us to win. Obviously hope they drop before then but it's definitely an easier equation, even if there is the prospect of it being even more heartbreaking as to how close we could get and not win. They've thrown absolutely everything at it and I'm swelling with pride at following this glorious footie team. We're gonna reach 90 points. Whatever happens, I wasn't sure we would reach that at the start and had that as an upper target. To (presumably) make that total is a fantastic feat whatever happens.

I think it's all but certain we reach 97 now. Newcastle feels like the only banana skin but we should have more than enough for them, they've achieved their goal for the season and maybe our old mate might pick a kind line up too.

The one element I sort of wonder about now, and it's more in hope than expectation, is that since early march there's not been a big moment, a key twist or turn. It's so incredibly unusual. Surely something is in the offing. The idea that the final big moment in such an incredible season was an away draw at everton feels incredibly anti climatic. EDIT [remembered what thread I'm in] But that is most likely what's going to happen and sadly the climax will probably be us losing to rafa's newcastle.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 10:57:45 am by Sharado »
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #1444 on: April 22, 2019, 12:28:03 pm »
I think it's all but certain we reach 97 now. Newcastle feels like the only banana skin but we should have more than enough for them, they've achieved their goal for the season and maybe our old mate might pick a kind line up too.

IIRC, under Rafa, they beat Tottenham at the end of the season by some margin the year Rafa joined them midway and Chelsea last season when they were already saved. All I'm saying is it certainly is a banana skin imo as it is sandwiched between the CL games and I don't think Rafa will line up players that are not considered first choice.

Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1445 on: April 22, 2019, 03:48:33 pm »
Are you sure? Can you explain then how Fulham won away today for the first time this season? Nothing to play for, relegated long time ago...

Scotty Parker getting a chance, and really wanting the manager’s job permanently?

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #1446 on: April 23, 2019, 07:44:43 am »
There is absolutely no way that City are dropping points now. It's over.

100% fact. We should just give up and focus on the CL/next season now.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #1447 on: April 23, 2019, 07:45:03 am »
APLT Full Table : Matchweek 35
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #1448 on: April 23, 2019, 07:45:38 am »
APLT Analysis & Extrapolations : Matchweek 35
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline RooiBefok

• Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #1449 on: April 23, 2019, 07:46:19 am »
APLT Actual + Revolving Par : Matchweek 35

Offline RooiBefok

• Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #1450 on: April 23, 2019, 07:46:56 am »
LFC Current & Projected Form : Matchweek 35

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1451 on: April 23, 2019, 12:25:28 pm »
IIRC, under Rafa, they beat Tottenham at the end of the season by some margin the year Rafa joined them midway and Chelsea last season when they were already saved. All I'm saying is it certainly is a banana skin imo as it is sandwiched between the CL games and I don't think Rafa will line up players that are not considered first choice.

I called it wrong, they'll get something out of us in that game. Can't see city dropping points anywhere now.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1452 on: April 23, 2019, 05:58:39 pm »
RAPLT: Week 35

All Teams below 48 point line

3 Game Moving Average

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1453 on: April 24, 2019, 10:39:38 am »
RAPLT: Week 35

All Teams below 48 point line

3 Game Moving Average

It's weird seeing Burnely (who are effectively safe) so close to Brighton, while Southampton are quite a few points away (not safe yet). But then even the APLT could show similar differences depending on fixture order.

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #1454 on: April 24, 2019, 10:22:07 pm »

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1455 on: April 24, 2019, 10:26:25 pm »
Still looks much better than it has done at this stage of the season before. Just got to keep winning and hope for the best!

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1456 on: April 24, 2019, 10:42:43 pm »
From my original post when I introduced the APLT to RAWK...

There are a few assumptions I have to make to keep this model as simple as possible.   Firstly, I assume that 90 points should be a target points total for a title challenge.  You can't control league position entirely yourself, so focussing on points makes more sense to me.  If we earn 90 points this season and don’t win the league, it would just mean another team has done exceptionally well.

We can only focus on the games we play. There's no legislating for what other teams do.  Whatever the final table says, it's been a bloody brilliant season from our lads and they'll be celebrated for it after the Wolves match regardless.

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #1457 on: April 24, 2019, 11:07:52 pm »

That's the ugliest this graph's looked all season  :'(

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #1458 on: April 25, 2019, 03:31:15 am »
Seeing that blue line finally cross the red. It's like watching a loved one getting run over.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1459 on: April 25, 2019, 08:11:44 am »
Our line is pretty much perfect there. Not much we could have done about the rise of the blue line. That’s down to the rest of the league being shite!

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1461 on: April 25, 2019, 10:50:40 am »
Fucking hell.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1462 on: April 25, 2019, 11:02:38 am »
It’s like modern f1 when the best engined car finally overtakes the race leader and the rest of the race is usually a formality.

Unless peps tyres blowout or some other miracle

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1463 on: April 25, 2019, 11:54:29 am »
Oh well. D'you know, it's gotten us all focussed on the process of winning, game to game. Do you think Herr Klopp has gotten us all into a 'ready to win' mentality?
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1464 on: April 25, 2019, 12:58:58 pm »
Oh well. D'you know, it's gotten us all focussed on the process of winning, game to game. Do you think Herr Klopp has gotten us all into a 'ready to win' mentality?
My hope before the season kicked off was for us to be up near the top, like a transition season before a full on assault next season.  There's no way I'd have predicted the season we're having.

Having the experience of this season in the squad will stand us in good stead for a number of years.  Like the 2001 season helped us with the cup wins in 2005 and 2006.

There was a view that Roman legions that had been through battles were worth far more than those that were yet to be bloodied properly.  The veteran soldiers were battle hardened and victory for them was considered a formality.

We have a lot of players who are experiencing these things for the first time.  They had a wobble a few months ago where they had to regain themselves.  The draw at home to Leicester stands out and the draw away at a Man Utd team who were shadows of their predecessors.  But following those, the wins we've had when previously we'd have fallen short are much more valuable for the longer term.  Late winners, individuals stepping up to take responsibility, mental resilience all round and of course the memories of a proper boss team... These are the key things we'll have from this season regardless if we fall short of the title.

I really do love being a red.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #1465 on: April 25, 2019, 01:00:44 pm »
It’s like modern f1 when the best engined car finally overtakes the race leader and the rest of the race is usually a formality.

Unless peps tyres blowout or some other miracle
I will be very frustrated if, ultimately, it comes down to that Kompany red card.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #1466 on: April 25, 2019, 01:43:25 pm »
Very good point. Despite my comment above, I've been far, far more relaxed in this run in than in -13/14, and I am very confident that next season we will not just be matching the best team in the land, but that we will actually *be* the best team in the land. And that we will play as well on the pitch as we should on paper.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1467 on: April 25, 2019, 03:32:53 pm »
Only below par three times, and above it five times. That in itself is quite the achievement.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1468 on: April 25, 2019, 07:42:18 pm »
My hope before the season kicked off was for us to be up near the top, like a transition season before a full on assault next season.  There's no way I'd have predicted the season we're having.

Having the experience of this season in the squad will stand us in good stead for a number of years.  Like the 2001 season helped us with the cup wins in 2005 and 2006.

There was a view that Roman legions that had been through battles were worth far more than those that were yet to be bloodied properly.  The veteran soldiers were battle hardened and victory for them was considered a formality.

We have a lot of players who are experiencing these things for the first time
.  They had a wobble a few months ago where they had to regain themselves.  The draw at home to Leicester stands out and the draw away at a Man Utd team who were shadows of their predecessors.  But following those, the wins we've had when previously we'd have fallen short are much more valuable for the longer term.  Late winners, individuals stepping up to take responsibility, mental resilience all round and of course the memories of a proper boss team... These are the key things we'll have from this season regardless if we fall short of the title.

I really do love being a red.

I'm not sure about that, Prof. TAA, Robertson, Firmino, Henderson and Matip, for sure. The rest of our regular starters and first-off-the-bench players have all won league titles IIRC.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1469 on: April 25, 2019, 09:22:22 pm »
I'm not sure about that, Prof. TAA, Robertson, Firmino, Henderson and Matip, for sure. The rest of our regular starters and first-off-the-bench players have all won league titles IIRC.
A closely contested title challenge where you can't afford any kind of slip up?

We don't have a battle hardened squad.  Even the list you mention is half the first team.  It's true we have players who have won stuff, but not to this degree.  Like Klopp has just been saying, this is our first attempt at it and there will be plenty more.  That's my point.  Experience of clutch moments is so important to the longer term development.

Offline slimbo

• Kopite
« Reply #1470 on: April 26, 2019, 01:49:33 am »
That visual really shows it's some second half of the season by City.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1471 on: April 26, 2019, 02:22:59 am »
A closely contested title challenge where you can't afford any kind of slip up?

We don't have a battle hardened squad.  Even the list you mention is half the first team.  It's true we have players who have won stuff, but not to this degree.  Like Klopp has just been saying, this is our first attempt at it and there will be plenty more.  That's my point.  Experience of clutch moments is so important to the longer term development.

Oh for sure, I agree with you. The problem is, getting over clutch moments is either a random thing (if you haven't done it before), or something you have to recruit.

In football, though, having the best attackers AND a "Best" goalkeeper usually helps in those clutch moments. That's why we're so well set up right now.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1472 on: April 26, 2019, 10:28:13 am »
Oh for sure, I agree with you. The problem is, getting over clutch moments is either a random thing (if you haven't done it before), or something you have to recruit.

In football, though, having the best attackers AND a "Best" goalkeeper usually helps in those clutch moments. That's why we're so well set up right now.

Come on PoP what do we need to add overall, say the worse happens this season to give us an even better chance next season?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #1473 on: April 26, 2019, 05:11:09 pm »
The fact that the graph is identical to the actual table in terms of us and city (them being one point ahead) seems to suggest that our run ins are of a similar difficulty. Hopefully, one of city's opponents can pull off a shock but it's so important that we win all of ours.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1474 on: April 26, 2019, 05:12:33 pm »
Come on PoP what do we need to add overall, say the worse happens this season to give us an even better chance next season?

Another open-play/set piece 10-goals-or-more per season goalscorer. Doesn't matter which position, as long as they are capable and have form for putting the ball in the net consistently.

Offline moloch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1475 on: April 26, 2019, 05:27:05 pm »
I will be very frustrated if, ultimately, it comes down to that Kompany red card.

Or the few inches that was needed for the goal. I'm confident we would've won the game if we had scored first.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #1476 on: April 26, 2019, 07:03:08 pm »
Or the few inches that was needed for the goal. I'm confident we would've won the game if we had scored first.

It was less than an inch.

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1477 on: April 28, 2019, 07:08:13 pm »

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1478 on: April 28, 2019, 07:15:39 pm »
At least we can enjoy the downfall of most of the top six!

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #1479 on: April 28, 2019, 07:31:26 pm »
It's grim to see. Knew it was on the cards, but grim, nevertheless. Overtaken on the final straight
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D