Author Topic: Place names not on the map  (Read 33711 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: Place names not on the map
« Reply #200 on: February 1, 2020, 12:32:02 am »
If its the same place I'm thinking of it was a Victorian rubbish tip.
We had some cracking bottles out of it  8)
Last time I saw it it looked like the surface of the moon  ;D

I don't know of any Victorian tip around there, but you could well be right.

I do know further down what is now known as Rimrose Valley Country Park there was a massive landfill site alongside the canal in between Litherland/Ford and Waterloo/Crosby called Whabbs Tip. It was definitely still a landfill site in the 70s but I can't recall when it was decommissioned. The land was eventually levelled and reclaimed. There is all kinds of stuff under the surface there.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: February 1, 2020, 12:46:35 am »
If I recall some Irish itinerants drove into an Orange Lodge parade around there in the 1970s. It was the last thrashing of sectarianism in the City but the area was covered in anti Popery graffiti. There's a good example if this in the 1968 film 'The Reckoning' when a successful businessman returns from London to investigate the death of his dad in the Everton area.

A friend of mine originated in the Scotland Road area. Her family had a shop right by the underground toilets at the Rotunda for decades right up until the 80s. She tells me the young Priscilla White* used to come into the shop and was a cheeky git.  ;D

Anyway, she also told me of the sectarian shenanigans between some locals there and some from up on the Brow back in the day.

*AKA Cilla Black, for our younger viewers.  ;)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #202 on: February 1, 2020, 08:13:37 am »
Yes, although it was really the Tailors Arms, it's pretty much always been known locally as Cookson's or Cookies after being run by Jim Cookson after WWII.

Do you mean the Piggeries name? If so, the area was farm land long before the Ford and Pendle estates were built. I can only assume there was a pig farm behind the pub. The Piggeries are a wooded area running alongside the canal. A bit of a weird place too. We used to night fish on the canal opposite the Piggeries and you'd hear all sorts of noises coming from in there. One night a pervert was watching us through the trees directly opposite our swim. We absolutely shit it when he stripped off and started to get into the water. We shot off over the wall like cats on fire. We left our gear on the canal bank and sat in a block of flats on Ford Lane until first light.

Ah, the chicken factory. I remember now. I also remember seeing the workers in all-white clothes and white wellies.  :)

Do you remember the sausage works too?

Yes I remember the sausage works and the white coats and wellies :)

That's interesting about the Piggeries - and what's been added in later posts.

And yes you got Tin Town correct - named after the prefabricated houses. They have some up near Princess Drive near Huyton Cannie Farm too.

Quote from: Sons of pioneerS
A friend of mine originated in the Scotland Road area. Her family had a shop right by the underground toilets at the Rotunda for decades right up until the 80s. She tells me the young Priscilla White* used to come into the shop and was a cheeky git.  ;D

Anyway, she also told me of the sectarian shenanigans between some locals there and some from up on the Brow back in the day.

Yeh, my mum used to tell us that she also worked as a hat and coat check girl - mum, was never keen on her.

There's Mockney for a Londoner who uses their accent in an exaggerated way to be something they're not - is there any terms for a faux Scouser?

If so, I think she would a contender.

I won't mention John Bishop, whose accent sounds like he's taken lessons from Stan Boardman, as he's from Runcorn isn't he?

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: February 1, 2020, 10:05:08 am »
Yes I remember the sausage works and the white coats and wellies :)

That's interesting about the Piggeries - and what's been added in later posts.

And yes you got Tin Town correct - named after the prefabricated houses. They have some up near Princess Drive near Huyton Cannie Farm too.

Yeh, my mum used to tell us that she also worked as a hat and coat check girl - mum, was never keen on her.

There's Mockney for a Londoner who uses their accent in an exaggerated way to be something they're not - is there any terms for a faux Scouser?

If so, I think she would a contender.

I won't mention John Bishop, whose accent sounds like he's taken lessons from Stan Boardman, as he's from Runcorn isn't he?

My Mum was a regular in the Cavern in the early 60's and despised Cilla - jumped up fucking hat check girl she used to call her. As for John Bishop, I used to listen to The Bishops Sunday Service on Radio City yonks ago and he had that thick Scouse accent back then. I do like Bishop and he's good live.

My Grandad on my Mums side was in the Lodge, played the big drum according to my Ma. They were from the Brow and he used to love winding the Catholics up, said they used to deliberately march past them on Orange day. He died about 1957.

Good job he didn't live to see his youngest daughter get knocked up and then married to a Catholic from Scotty ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #204 on: February 1, 2020, 11:18:33 am »
I don't know of any Victorian tip around there, but you could well be right.

I do know further down what is now known as Rimrose Valley Country Park there was a massive landfill site alongside the canal in between Litherland/Ford and Waterloo/Crosby called Whabbs Tip. It was definitely still a landfill site in the 70s but I can't recall when it was decommissioned. The land was eventually levelled and reclaimed. There is all kinds of stuff under the surface there.
We used to do our digging all along here  :)

As for John Bishop, I used to listen to The Bishops Sunday Service on Radio City yonks ago and he had that thick Scouse accent back then. I do like Bishop and he's good live.
Me and the lads were driving back from Wales one Sunday listening to The Bishops Sunday Service.
They were going on about The Who, and Bishop goes... "Well I'm sorry but every time I hear Pete Townsend, I think kiddy fiddler!"
We nearly crashed the fuckng car as we were laughing so much   :lmao
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #205 on: February 1, 2020, 11:35:54 am »
............................ Also lots of ''God Bless Our Pope'' too.

I remember similar written on the railway wall in Marsh street (off Hawthorne Road in Bootle).  It was only there for a week when someone added "ye" on the end.

My Da always used to mention The Rotunda, My Mam still does, I think it was in the Scottie, Stanley Road, Boundary St triangle but I never saw it as an actual building.  Any recall?
TheMissionary
YNWA

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: February 1, 2020, 12:13:02 pm »
Me and the lads were driving back from Wales one Sunday listening to The Bishops Sunday Service.
They were going on about The Who, and Bishop goes... "Well I'm sorry but every time I hear Pete Townsend, I think kiddy fiddler!"
We nearly crashed the fuckng car as we were laughing so much   :lmao

:lmao
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #207 on: February 1, 2020, 12:26:35 pm »
It was only there for a week when someone added "ye" on the end.

ha ha -  ;D

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #208 on: February 1, 2020, 01:22:46 pm »
Never done it but isn't that a little bit of resin?

For sure

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #209 on: February 1, 2020, 01:30:56 pm »

For sure

We have grown up completely different.. :D

Sime great post here..loved reading them.
A little bit of the discussion here..

https://openeye.org.uk/blog/godless-landscapes/
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: February 1, 2020, 06:31:03 pm »

Spot on. That's the Piggeries in the picture.  :thumbup

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: February 1, 2020, 06:39:39 pm »
I remember similar written on the railway wall in Marsh street (off Hawthorne Road in Bootle).  It was only there for a week when someone added "ye" on the end.

My Da always used to mention The Rotunda, My Mam still does, I think it was in the Scottie, Stanley Road, Boundary St triangle but I never saw it as an actual building.  Any recall?

The Rotunda Theatre was destroyed in the Blitz in 1941. I've only ever remembered it as open green space with trees on. You are spot on with the location.

Pope'ye'  ;D   I like it.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #212 on: February 1, 2020, 08:35:43 pm »
The Triangle.

Parly , Lodgey and Prinny Ave.

Theres a party on Kingsley tonight .... Nah lad.. I aint going into the Triangle.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: February 8, 2020, 10:12:41 pm »

And the Chickeny was 2 things:

1. A chicken factory on Bridle Road where they would slaughter chickens.
When we were kids hanging around Dodge in the 70's, we'd get into the containers, in the container base, stash the boxes of whatever we'd got on the Ghostie, and bunk off school the next day and sell any clothes etc to the girls in the chickeny, them Marks and Spencer jumpers were always good sellers ;D 
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: February 9, 2020, 05:43:42 pm »
When we were kids hanging around Dodge in the 70's, we'd get into the containers, in the container base, stash the boxes of whatever we'd got on the Ghostie, and bunk off school the next day and sell any clothes etc to the girls in the chickeny, them Marks and Spencer jumpers were always good sellers ;D

I have to admit it that I too hung around with a gang of mates and also used to take boxes of crisps from vans parked just off Ormskirk Road and run over the 'live' railway and stash them on the Ingy to sell that at school - wot a little nipper I was  :wave

Of course we never hurt anyone or stole from old ladies etc but possibly, maybe it was wrong but I was a kid  ;D
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: October 26, 2021, 02:43:23 am »
The welsh cathedral.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #216 on: October 31, 2021, 05:38:56 pm »

I was a minor low ranking member of The Vale Boot boys and we used to get legged by Dodge in the early 70's 😁

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #217 on: November 6, 2021, 08:29:02 pm »
Tiger Bay. Top end of Moss Lane from Orrell Park Station getting on towards Southport Road.
Fearsome area with a bad reputation... when their mob visited your area ( the Vale) it was wise to make yourself invisible 😁

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: November 14, 2021, 09:58:36 pm »
The Cazzy.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #219 on: November 14, 2021, 10:22:10 pm »

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: November 14, 2021, 11:09:40 pm »
2 dogs
The Raz
Paddy’s Wigwam

Interesting to see Mini Wembley earlier in the thread, there’s a massive field in Runcorn known as Mini Wembley. Although if there’s one in town maybe the one in Runcorn should be renamed the Mini Millenium Stadium

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: November 16, 2021, 12:29:49 am »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: November 16, 2021, 01:25:28 pm »
Well in   ;D

When I was a kid my dad warned me not to go there as there were whirlpools and I'd drown.

So for reasons of child protection I was limited to playing in and around bombed houses in and around Mill Street.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: November 16, 2021, 09:01:50 pm »
When I was a kid my dad warned me not to go there as there were whirlpools and I'd drown.

So for reasons of child protection I was limited to playing in and around bombed houses in and around Mill Street.

I didn't know you was from the Dingle.

You may like this that I found a few nights ago.

https://gerryco23.wordpress.com/2010/11/18/the-dingle-digging-into-the-past/

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: November 17, 2021, 08:40:33 pm »
That's brilliant Kesey, the Turner Home amazes me.

Offline call me red

• Main Stander
« Reply #225 on: November 17, 2021, 09:46:55 pm »
Brilliant that Kesey i`m not from dingle but worked on the festival site when they were doing it, unbelievable what it was like before.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: November 17, 2021, 10:50:03 pm »
I didn't know you was from the Dingle.

You may like this that I found a few nights ago.

https://gerryco23.wordpress.com/2010/11/18/the-dingle-digging-into-the-past/

Not Dingle related but saw the piece on the link about Oglet shore. We'd get the 85 up to Speke and walk down to the shore. Once we found a beer keg washed up on the shore and being curious 11 year olds battered it with stones to try and get some beer out. Didn't work though.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2021, 10:52:21 pm »
Brilliant that Kesey i`m not from dingle but worked on the festival site when they were doing it, unbelievable what it was like before.

The festival was built over the old Otterspool Tip. Spent many a happy afternoon skiving down there when disposing of broken beer glasses which had failed accuracy tests.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #228 on: November 18, 2021, 09:14:11 am »

When I was a nipper I went out with a girl who's family knew her really well and they thought she was a complete knobhead.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: November 19, 2021, 06:03:53 pm »
When I was a nipper I went out with a girl who's family knew her really well and they thought she was a complete knobhead.

I was being a bit diplomatic in that post. I heard exactly the same as what you said there.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: November 19, 2021, 06:40:52 pm »
I was being a bit diplomatic in that post. I heard exactly the same as what you said there.

As I said earlier in the thread, my Ma hated the "jumped up fucking hat check girl".

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: November 19, 2021, 10:13:48 pm »
As I said earlier in the thread, my Ma hated the "jumped up fucking hat check girl".

I've heard similar derogatory comments about Lennon and Tarbuck.

Sour grapes, urban myth or truth?

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: November 22, 2021, 12:17:14 am »
I've heard similar derogatory comments about Lennon and Tarbuck.

Sour grapes, urban myth or truth?

My mum’s uncle was a bassist and used to be mates with Lennon and McCartney. His mum (my great Nan) wouldn’t let John Lennon in the house because he was a “scruffy little get”.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #233 on: November 22, 2021, 06:56:29 am »
My grandad was her headteacher. He spent a lot of time with her and her family supporting her with her music career.  He always said she turned out quite well considering her upbringing.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #234 on: November 5, 2022, 09:41:45 pm »
My grandad was her headteacher. He spent a lot of time with her and her family supporting her with her music career.  He always said she turned out quite well considering her upbringing.

What a fascinating thread .. The Piggeries was where a lads bodies was hidden, killed by his best-mate.

Have to take exception to Cilla’s poor upbringing. her Mum was one of the most popular women on Scottie, and universally loved. Nothing wrong with her upbringing but I have yet to meet anyone who had any time for Cilla  They all thought was a stuck up cow, and that was before she was famous.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: November 6, 2022, 02:19:23 am »
What a fascinating thread .. The Piggeries was where a lads bodies was hidden, killed by his best-mate.

Have to take exception to Cilla’s poor upbringing. her Mum was one of the most popular women on Scottie, and universally loved. Nothing wrong with her upbringing but I have yet to meet anyone who had any time for Cilla  They all thought was a stuck up cow, and that was before she was famous.

Cilla's mum took one of our dog's pups - it was a source of great pride to me in the 70s schoolyard  ;D

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: November 22, 2022, 08:42:12 pm »

My Ma was a Cavern regular early 60's and referred to her as a fucking jumped up hat check girl.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: November 23, 2022, 09:37:41 am »
My Ma was a Cavern regular early 60's and referred to her as a fucking jumped up hat check girl.

my aunties said the same

seemed she used her scouse-ness to elevate her image and then lived on that for the rest of her life

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #238 on: November 23, 2022, 04:09:07 pm »
my aunties said the same

seemed she used her scouse-ness to elevate her image and then lived on that for the rest of her life
Her and Tarbuck rode in on The Beatles coat-tails.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: November 23, 2022, 09:49:01 pm »
Her and Tarbuck rode in on The Beatles coat-tails.

Was Tarbuck sporting Terry Thomas’s diamond cigarette holder while he was riding on the Beatles coat tails? ;D