Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399652 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #7680 on: March 6, 2019, 11:50:39 pm »
Manchester City will get stronger, the Mancs are getting stronger, Chelsea will come again with their money....... and I think when Jurgen’s contract comes to an end he will look for a new project/challenge.

We are not the finished article yet, and we will get even stronger too.

Will City be getting as many points as last season on a regular basis?

United haven't got any stronger. They've just offloaded a useless manager and have a decent caretaker who may or may not get the job. Whoever they get it's all down hill after Whisky Nose.

Chelsea have well peaked with Abramovich at the helm.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7681 on: March 6, 2019, 11:58:55 pm »
Manchester City will get stronger, the Mancs are getting stronger, Chelsea will come again with their money....... and I think when Jurgen’s contract comes to an end he will look for a new project/challenge.

I don't see any of that happening. The Mancs are Leicester on speed at the moment and while it is great for them currently, that's not a sustainable model for long term success. Chelsea might lose their best player and are banned from the market. City are already the benchmark and could barely improve.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7682 on: March 7, 2019, 12:11:02 am »
Why even bother playing football when everyone is going to get ''stronger''?

Jesus Christ

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7683 on: March 7, 2019, 12:11:58 am »
I don't see any of that happening. The Mancs are Leicester on speed at the moment and while it is great for them currently, that's not a sustainable model for long term success. Chelsea might lose their best player and are banned from the market. City are already the benchmark and could barely improve.

Chelsea have appealed their ban. Like Barca, they'll stock up on players this summer before the outcome of the appeal. I reckon it might be hard for them to attract the best players if they have another season out of the Champions League though.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7684 on: March 7, 2019, 12:51:48 am »

Jesus Christ

I hear this every year about everyone. Yet we're they only team who got stronger from a player perspective this season. The Mancs have gotten stronger from a losing shitcoat perspective.
Spurs and Arsenal stood still while City have gotten weaker and could still win the league.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #7685 on: March 7, 2019, 01:18:54 am »

Jesus Christ

Maybe we should do what Everton have done and just stop trying altogether then live vicariously through other teams instead?
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #7686 on: March 7, 2019, 01:39:54 am »
Will people stop talking about next season and how others will get stronger when this season is STILL totally in the balance and we could actually only go and fucking win it!!!! FFS

Media are right, it's you fans who are the bottlers.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
« Reply #7687 on: March 7, 2019, 03:45:46 am »
Its been an iffy couple of months but to say we have imploded, bottled it etc as being peddled by the media is ridiculous.

What's funny is that when we were 7 points clear a lot were thinking (not necessarily amongst our fanbase) the title was done. Now that we are a point (1 point!!) behind, the same people are saying the title is City's.

For what its worth I think not being top at this stage will galvanise us. Perfomances haven't been good enough, granted, but who knows City may take their eye off the ball now the table has turned slightly.

I know its an old, horrible cliche but there are so many twists in a title race and I don't think for one second that our disappointing draws are the last twist. We will start scoring goals again sooner rather than later, starting Sunday. I do believe that maybe the pressure on the front 3 to win us games, and effectively the titel, whilst sitting top has got to them but we have by far the soundest defence in the league and that I believe will see us through. There is far too much quality up top for this to continue.

Think we will nick it by a couple of points come the end. City have lost weird games this season and with injuries mounting up (not to mention a difficult run in) they will definitely drop more points.

Up the reds.

Online Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7688 on: March 7, 2019, 04:03:43 am »
Will people stop talking about next season and how others will get stronger when this season is STILL totally in the balance and we could actually only go and fucking win it!!!! FFS

Media are right, it's you fans who are the bottlers.
No one's "bottled" anything, for goodness sake. This is a fans' discussion forum and what we discuss here has no effect on anything. People can talk about next season if they like.

Offline U-238A

• Main Stander
« Reply #7689 on: March 7, 2019, 04:05:24 am »
The points total is a bit achievement, as is going this long with only 1 defeat. But you also need to consider the game has moved on from years ago and the bar is constantly being raised. I really hope they all put their fingers out and start playing like they want to win.

I agree. Don't misinterpret this as we shouldn't be impressed or proud with how well our boys are doing up to this point... But I'm a bit disappointed in people talking about "context" and how we've improved and we're amazing for challenging the cheats that are City. Given some of them are responses to negativity and fans giving up... But City aren't going away and may not for the next couple seasons. We need to be aiming to raise our level to theirs and beyond, not concede they're too good and that we'd be happy in 2nd because "there's nothing we can do if they get another 100 points". We've seen what our team is capable of: 50 points in half a season. That is our new level. Any notions of "we were overachieving and just reverting back to the norm" is loser mentality. City's norm is currently and may be 95 points or more for the next 3 years. We have a team capable of it.

Offline v2krules

• Main Stander
« Reply #7690 on: March 7, 2019, 04:15:42 am »
Its been an iffy couple of months but to say we have imploded, bottled it etc as being peddled by the media is ridiculous.

Totally agree with this. The race is far from over.

Despite the poor last few weeks, there has been one constant in our title chase - Rock Solid Defense. Though the absence of TAA might have dented our attacking verve on the right, defensively we have been a rock with or without him. No matter what happens till the end of the season, one thing is certain - It is HARD to beat our defense. It gives me confidence for the title run.

Our biggest problem has been our front three not being clinical enough the last few weeks. All these iffy results (bar Man United) has been more due to us not taking our chances rather than our system failing or not creating enough. The media and the so-called pundits calling out on title pressure and scapegoating midfield are idiots in my opinion. It is right to blame our midfield for the United game, but the other games we have played well, created enough chances and still didn't manage to score. Yes a Fekir/Coutinho or a Fit returning AOC could have helped, but most of our best moves comes from the interplay between the front three and the space/chaos they create in the middle. As long as this continues I see no reason to worry because sooner than later the front 3 will get more consistent in front of the goal.

Finally City have not been good enough for us to throw the towel. They have been just as guilty, just as pressured and error prone - lacking consistency as we have been recently. They have scraped with a number of 1-0s of late and their overall game play has been tiring. I feel they are due to drop points even before the big United/Tottenham games. With their mounting injuries and fitness troubles, it sure doesn't look like a finished title race as many of our own feel in this forum - far from it.

2019 is a great year, enjoy the ride. Who knows what lies ahead of the road, we can still win the title this season for sure.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2019, 04:19:58 am by v2krules »

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7691 on: March 7, 2019, 04:50:07 am »
Totally agree with this. The race is far from over.

Despite the poor last few weeks, there has been one constant in our title chase - Rock Solid Defense. Though the absence of TAA might have dented our attacking verve on the right, defensively we have been a rock with or without him. No matter what happens till the end of the season, one thing is certain - It is HARD to beat our defense. It gives me confidence for the title run.

If this continues, i think we might end up winning the champions league this season   8)
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #7692 on: March 7, 2019, 06:34:14 am »
We are in pretty good shape. Ignore the press and Sky Sports. We have a realistic shot at the double and thats what we should aim for. Targetting league and big ears.  It honestly might be a while before we get that chance at the double just as it now sits. I hope we don’t settle for “just” the League. OK we can miss either or both, thats football. But we should drive now to win both. It is realistic. We are right with City in league and beat Munich and we have as much chance of the double as City. This should be the mindset.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7693 on: March 7, 2019, 07:41:31 am »
I think our defence being so watertight plays a massive role. If we can just come out the doors and play some really high voltage rock and roll crazy stuff in the first 15-20 mins with high tempo, high energy, and really look to go all out and score that early goal, then the goals will come. Once it's 1-0 then I think a lot of pressure comes off and the game is so much easier.

More than anything the lads have to just keep their confidence levels high and be prepared to take calculated risks. They need to feel that they can play with freedom. Need to keep the intensity high in training and just make that final push for the finish line. There's no point looking at the table until its all finished. Even as fans, its far too close to call and the league is so competitive that each team could easily trade the lead a few times more before the end. Just looked back at the tables and noticed that in week 15 we were behind Man City by 5 but had a game in hand. By week 19 we were 7 points clear with an equal number of games played. That's a 9-12 point swing in the space of 4 games depending on which way you look at it. We just have to go from game to game. Exciting times ahead for sure.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7694 on: March 7, 2019, 09:26:31 am »
You’re miserable. Supporting Liverpool is not for you ...
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #7695 on: March 7, 2019, 09:29:58 am »
PSG's elimination has blown the Champions League wide open. City are really going to fancy it from here, can only be good news for us in the Premier League.

PSG's elimination is also good news for us in the Champions League of course...
No, PSG were never going to be a success in the CL. The favourites are still Barcelona and Atletico Madrid, followed by City and Liverpool.

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7696 on: March 7, 2019, 09:36:28 am »
No, PSG were never going to be a success in the CL. The favourites are still Barcelona and Atletico Madrid, followed by City and Liverpool.

If we get past Bayern Munich of course.  FWIW, i think Bayern Munich is way lot stronger than PSG & Dortmund. Yes, they are behind Dortmund now...but in Champions league they have the pedigree and are always a threat.

Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7697 on: March 7, 2019, 10:05:19 am »
VVD and Salah will win everything they want to win right here. They're going nowhere.

It's a separate point I've no idea how some liverpool fans get out of bed in the morning. Like I loved a moan on these pages for many of the years we've been absolutely fucking shite, but we're unreal now. Like we stand a chance - a really fucking good chance - of winning the title when against a team/coach that people are considering amongst the best of all time. There isn't a single club in Europe that would want to draw us in the champions league. But people are moaning about too many draws, about a misfiring midfield, about the front 3 not 'clicking'. Whilst there's nothing wrong with diseccting the odd performance and wondering what you could improve the amount of 'worrying' people do is bizarre. WE'RE FUCKING GREAT. There's only one way it gets better and that's with big silver trophies on the sideboard. The idea that anyone would hold any type of fear about losing players now is just wasted energy. We lost coutinho and GOT BETTER, while he had a mixed time of it at barca. If that's the precedent then what's the concern? This is what people means by enjoying the ride. If you can't enjoy this without worrying about who might stay or go in the summer, the whole thing isn't for you.

Whilst this is, to an extent true, I feel you’re missing the point slightly. Not on the players thing, I agree with you 100% on that.

But for me, despite how ‘great’ we may or may not be, what I see is us on the cusp of another near miss, which would make 4 in as many years including the 3 finals we’ve lost. This is going to sound overly pessimistic I know, but there seems to be a taking for granted of the fact that this will go to the wire. The way our away form is currently it won’t. It’s 1 point now, if it gets to 4 or more it’s done barring an absolute miracle. It is not totally beyond the realms that it gets to that within the next 2 weeks meanwhile we could also get knocked out of Europe.

That will sound overly pessimistic because it is but it’s also a very possible scenario. You’re only great in the context of your opposition and if we end up 2nd and out of Europe nobody will be remembering this season fondly aspire how many times our points total may have won the league in other seasons.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7698 on: March 7, 2019, 10:10:20 am »
Whilst this is, to an extent true, I feel you’re missing the point slightly. Not on the players thing, I agree with you 100% on that.

But for me, despite how ‘great’ we may or may not be, what I see is us on the cusp of another near miss, which would make 4 in as many years including the 3 finals we’ve lost. This is going to sound overly pessimistic I know, but there seems to be a taking for granted of the fact that this will go to the wire. The way our away form is currently it won’t. It’s 1 point now, if it gets to 4 or more it’s done barring an absolute miracle. It is not totally beyond the realms that it gets to that within the next 2 weeks meanwhile we could also get knocked out of Europe.

That will sound overly pessimistic because it is but it’s also a very possible scenario. You’re only great in the context of your opposition and if we end up 2nd and out of Europe nobody will be remembering this season fondly aspire how many times our points total may have won the league in other seasons.

To be fair, we still remember the 08/09 and 13/14 seasons. I actually think we will remember this season less if we dont win ut because those seasons were punchuated with a huge element of surprise that we were competing, some immense individual performances (Suarez) and a number of stand out results (5-1 against Arsenal, the 4-0 against Everton, 3-0 and 4-1’s at Old Trafford, 4-0 against Madrid).

At the end of the day though you just have to accept it. Our aim was to improve and we did that and if we fall short to what is possibly the greatest Premier League side then it is what it is. We have to improve again and challenge next year.

Offline zip

• Legacy Fan
  • That was liquid football!
« Reply #7699 on: March 7, 2019, 10:14:25 am »
We are in pretty good shape. Ignore the press and Sky Sports. We have a realistic shot at the double and thats what we should aim for. Targetting league and big ears.  It honestly might be a while before we get that chance at the double just as it now sits. I hope we don’t settle for “just” the League. OK we can miss either or both, thats football. But we should drive now to win both. It is realistic. We are right with City in league and beat Munich and we have as much chance of the double as City. This should be the mindset.
Is right!
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7700 on: March 7, 2019, 10:15:45 am »
Bottling..

Heard a bit about this on Press Box on LFCTV when discussing the title race. So went and looked it up.

Mancini and Man City "bottled" their title challenge in 2011/12. This was their first title in 44 years. So imagine the press and the angst of City supporters during this stretch:
30th match Drew with Stoke Away
31st match Drew with Sunderland Home
32nd match lost to Arsenal away.

8 points dropped in three consecutive matches down the stretch. Chasing the vaunted Man Utd, who don't bottle title challenges.

They went on to win their final 6 matches and won with Aguero's goal in time added on.

Man Utd, now 8 points ahead at the time with only 6 matches left, on the other hand lost to Wigan away the 33rd match of the season. Which they were massive favorites to beat as they had kept five clean sheets in a row prior to this match. And then drew with Everton the 35th match at home, another side they were favorites to beat. Those five dropped points allowed City to get to 3 points behind United and then City beat United match day 36 with two more matches left in the season to go top on goal difference. A Man Utd side managed by Fergie who never bottled a championship race in his life.

Just pointing this out because there are more twists and turns left this season to see who wins the League.  :wave

Good post.

Twists and turns is correct. Enjoy the ride!

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7701 on: March 7, 2019, 10:17:51 am »
To be fair, we still remember the 08/09 and 13/14 seasons. I actually think we will remember this season less if we dont win ut because those seasons were punchuated with a huge element of surprise that we were competing, some immense individual performances (Suarez) and a number of stand out results (5-1 against Arsenal, the 4-0 against Everton, 3-0 and 4-1’s at Old Trafford, 4-0 against Madrid).

At the end of the day though you just have to accept it. Our aim was to improve and we did that and if we fall short to what is possibly the greatest Premier League side then it is what it is. We have to improve again and challenge next year.

We do remember them mate yeah, but each time it happens, for me at least, it becomes more and more crushing.

No doubt someone will quote me and tell me to support the team and it’s not done or whatever, but it’s oossible to do both things at once. Currently I see a team who had the chance to go 10 clear, then 7, then dropped from 5 to being 1 behind. We’ve scored twice away in the league since 2019 and the facts are it’s going to take an up change in our form to win this title. It does obviously help that we’ve got easier away games now.

But there is only so many times we can keep going close and failing until people will start to lose faith in that ever changing.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #7702 on: March 7, 2019, 10:25:15 am »
Bottling..

Heard a bit about this on Press Box on LFCTV when discussing the title race. So went and looked it up.

Mancini and Man City "bottled" their title challenge in 2011/12. This was their first title in 44 years. So imagine the press and the angst of City supporters during this stretch:
30th match Drew with Stoke Away
31st match Drew with Sunderland Home
32nd match lost to Arsenal away.

8 points dropped in three consecutive matches down the stretch. Chasing the vaunted Man Utd, who don't bottle title challenges.

They went on to win their final 6 matches and won with Aguero's goal in time added on.

Man Utd, now 8 points ahead at the time with only 6 matches left, on the other hand lost to Wigan away the 33rd match of the season. Which they were massive favorites to beat as they had kept five clean sheets in a row prior to this match. And then drew with Everton the 35th match at home, another side they were favorites to beat. Those five dropped points allowed City to get to 3 points behind United and then City beat United match day 36 with two more matches left in the season to go top on goal difference. A Man Utd side managed by Fergie who never bottled a championship race in his life.

Just pointing this out because there are more twists and turns left this season to see who wins the League.  :wave

This is a great post.
For me, this is a great post especially because I initially thought, "yeah well the teams are a lot better now and either us or City would be much better than that version of City or United if you were to airdrop us into that season at that time"

Which maybe true, but impossible to say for sure.

What I did look up though was the points tally after 29 games:

United - 70 points
City - 69 points

Literally no difference to what we're seeing this season.
So yeah the twists and turns that happened that time around can easily happen this time around too....this maybe a City team that have taken 100 points last season but this season they are not that team. We are different this season. Every nuance to this league is different this season and anything can still happen

Its the waiting between games that's the hard bit  ;D
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7703 on: March 7, 2019, 10:28:42 am »
We do remember them mate yeah, but each time it happens, for me at least, it becomes more and more crushing.

No doubt someone will quote me and tell me to support the team and it’s not done or whatever, but it’s oossible to do both things at once. Currently I see a team who had the chance to go 10 clear, then 7, then dropped from 5 to being 1 behind. We’ve scored twice away in the league since 2019 and the facts are it’s going to take an up change in our form to win this title. It does obviously help that we’ve got easier away games now.

But there is only so many times we can keep going close and failing until people will start to lose faith in that ever changing.

City have clocked up an amazing run of form. They have won all but one game since they lost to Leicester in December. We may have lost points but we were going at an insane pace and we havent been able to sustain it. People have to just accept that fact that sides dont usually clock up this many points and what we have seen is some normalising take place.

As for losing faith, we hardly have done anything to warrant that. We challenged for a title in 08/09, 5 years later in 13/14 and then 4 years later. So in the best part of a decade, 3 title challenges. Its hardly us getting pipped to the post now is it?

We need to challenge again next season and then the season after that. If we keep coming a close second then fair enough but sorry I dont accept a world where all we get is 3 goes a decade.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #7704 on: March 7, 2019, 10:31:01 am »

Support the team. Its not done.  ;)

But I know what you mean....I think what may make you feel better however is the thought that Klopp is building a team that is capable of sustained success not a one-off challenge. We will already be better next season with Ox back, Keita a season better, Gomez back and then whatever we do in the summer...
Last times we challenged we fell off a cliff the next season. I am hoping that is not the case in 2019/2020.

As for our form away. Yeah it aint great recently but we've had City, West Ham, Brighton, Utd, Everton - some of the toughest you'll have in any season.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7705 on: March 7, 2019, 10:31:25 am »

There's a lot of truth in your posts, of course there is. I've been called a superfan here just yesterday for the post you quoted, but I'm not so blinkered by my love for Jurgen's trickiest of reds that I can't see the possibility for failure. But amidst all this, I was reminded a little of one of my favorite ever posts on RAWK. The post in full, by someone who doesn't bother with these time absorbing boards anymore, came in the wake of THAT Crystal Palace game in 2014 but there was one particular part that will always stick with me:

Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

And that's what this year will boil down to for me. Like it might all go to shit again, fuck it we're liverpool in the 2010's so it almost certainly will. But that doesn't make the journey less fun. That doesn't diminish 'the ride', for me. This season I've been to games with mates, on my own and have even had the amazing experience of taking my godson to his first game. I've been totally absorbed in football like I've not been in years. It'll be proper, proper shit if it ends with nothing yet again, but I'm steeling myself for that now and just trying to enjoy what's left. And whilst that creeping doubt is probably as bad as it's been all year at the minute, I'm not getting off this ride just yet. And I don't expect it to come crashing down next year like it did in 09 or 14. 
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7706 on: March 7, 2019, 10:47:33 am »
Annoying that Utd got through and have a midweek game before the City game. Suppose it could go both ways, Chelsea rotated and won at Anfield that time so hoping it Spurs the twats on to get a result.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #7707 on: March 7, 2019, 10:50:44 am »
It also has the potential to be a midweek game against us!

Annoying that Utd got through and have a midweek game before the City game. Suppose it could go both ways, Chelsea rotated and won at Anfield that time so hoping it Spurs the twats on to get a result.

Offline G1-tiga

• Kopite
« Reply #7708 on: March 7, 2019, 11:04:06 am »
I'll be honest, I've been feeling a bit blue (no pun intended) since the Everton result. I still think this Liverpool side are well capable of winning this league but the fact we lost our lead with a draw at f**king Goodison did my head in.

Though this morning I just had this real moment of clarity that come 3pm on Sunday, we could be top again if City don't beat Watford. Made me remember how close this actually is.

Bang up for the run-in now. Can't wait for Sunday.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #7709 on: March 7, 2019, 01:36:04 pm »

Or they may not rotate since they will still be in a battle with two teams for a top 4 place.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #7710 on: March 7, 2019, 02:03:01 pm »
Is right!
So can we change thread title to Chasing the Double? 

C’mon?

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #7711 on: March 7, 2019, 02:16:00 pm »
We’ve scored twice away in the league since 2019 and the facts are it’s going to take an up change in our form to win this title.

It's the manner in which we've not scored that is crushing. A defensive-minded Man U, that was totally disrupted with 3 forced subs in the 1st half and their CF hobbling, and we sat back playing timid football. We played a pretty awful Everton team, whose confidence was paper-thin, and we went with a defensive-minded midfield, played timid football, and all this allowed them to grow into the game, then we made some peculiar substitutions that gave us nothing.

This on the back of two fear-laden and very poor displays against two mid-table teams (one at home).

No heavy-metal football. Uninspiring team selections. Playing like a team closer to relegation worries than the team that had dominated pretty much every PL team we'd met up till the end of 2018. But then, we destroyed two other teams in amongst the poor run. We've become a real Jekyll & Hyde team.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7712 on: March 7, 2019, 02:36:21 pm »

It's the manner in which we've not scored that is crushing. A defensive-minded Man U, that was totally disrupted with 3 forced subs in the 1st half and their CF hobbling, and we sat back playing timid football. We played a pretty awful Everton team, whose confidence was paper-thin, and we went with a defensive-minded midfield, played timid football, and all this allowed them to grow into the game, then we made some peculiar substitutions that gave us nothing.

This on the back of two fear-laden and very poor displays against two mid-table teams (one at home).

No heavy-metal football. Uninspiring team selections. Playing like a team closer to relegation worries than the team that had dominated pretty much every PL team we'd met up till the end of 2018. But then, we destroyed two other teams in amongst the poor run. We've become a real Jekyll & Hyde team.

:lmao

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7713 on: March 7, 2019, 02:39:53 pm »
Not sure how drawing 4 games and winning 4 games since the turn of the year is relegation form.

Is it good considering our previous run and what we're trying to do? No of course not, at the same time, relegation form?

I give u p

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7714 on: March 7, 2019, 02:44:27 pm »
I'm sick of the we had a chance to go ten clear narrative. It's as if beating city was a given. People are way too obsessed with given moments and what might have been. Counting runs of form over blocks of five or ten matches is bullshit too. If city hadn't blown leads in easy games they'd be running away with it now don't ya know.
 The only block that ultimately matters is 38. If we lose the league ( and my head says we will) it'll be because over 38 games we didn't get enough points. We went clear when we had a great run of form and city had their one slump over two seasons. There's a good chance we'll get over ninety points. Had we no slump lately we'd be on for a possible 100. Do people really believe this is the greatest ever league team?

They're a brilliant team and I can only see improvement next year. I'm braced for the disappointment but still holding hope on two fronts. This is a terrific time to be a Liverpool supporter. I'd advise folks to enjoy it. It won't always be this much fun.

Online In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7715 on: March 7, 2019, 02:45:53 pm »

Good grief! The state of some our so-called fans  :duh
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #7716 on: March 7, 2019, 02:48:30 pm »

C’mon?

In my head we've been in for the Double ever since we beat Napoli. Why the fuck not?!

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7717 on: March 7, 2019, 02:51:10 pm »
No heavy-metal football. Uninspiring team selections. Playing like a team closer to relegation worries

This is too good. I'm having it.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #7718 on: March 7, 2019, 03:01:03 pm »

C’mon?
Should be: "Chasing City"..

You know- just for a bit of punishment. We were bad boys and girls and so now- we have to sit in a corner and think about what we've done to deserve this and how bad behavior will not go unpunished by the mgods. When we lead, we can change it to "Chasing the Double" and when we're in the Finals and still leading in the league, we just go: "It's On!"
« Last Edit: March 7, 2019, 03:56:31 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #7719 on: March 7, 2019, 04:45:21 pm »
Why are people giving up seriously where still well in this
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97