Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2766819 times)

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #64680 on: April 29, 2022, 02:41:54 pm »
anyone worked out what the vikings were looking at with that trade last night yet?

they moved down in the first (with a division rival) to move up a little in the 2nd and get a 3rd rounder. that doesn't really seem to check out.

They have value charts for these trades don’t they? Perhaps the GM was looking for trade value without seeing the big picture (like helping out a divisional rival?). Definitely odd.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #64681 on: April 29, 2022, 02:46:39 pm »
Frank is still complaining about Gordon’s not given penalty. Give it a rest please.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #64682 on: April 29, 2022, 03:46:23 pm »
They have value charts for these trades don’t they? Perhaps the GM was looking for trade value without seeing the big picture (like helping out a divisional rival?). Definitely odd.

see I don't think they got "value" regardless of who they traded with. though they may turn that 3rd rounder into a future hall of famer. fuck knows.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #64683 on: April 29, 2022, 04:22:16 pm »
Not sure the value charts are as reliable as usual this year, this was seen as a relatively weak class at the top of the draft compared to many years but really deep, so the difference in quality between say a first and third rounder may not be as much as usual

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #64684 on: April 29, 2022, 05:39:57 pm »
Jets, Lions and Giants seem to have had decent drafts thus far

Wide receiver is apparently the only position in the league now.  ;D

I get the sense that most teams are trying to take advantage of QB rookie deal so they need to give them the tools to challenge by year 3, rather than just leaving them high and dry.

On a different note, someone is probably getting Mayfield or Jimmy G for pennies on the dollar. No point in drafting a QB 1st round if there are better players available and 1st round picks can be used elsewhere

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64685 on: April 30, 2022, 02:13:38 am »
I’m an eagles fan who knows pretty much fuck all about this but I’m still surprised we’ve not gone for a defensive player in the second round. There’s probably something I’m missing since I don’t take much notice of the off season but to me our defence was the worst part of our team.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #64686 on: April 30, 2022, 02:26:34 am »
1 QB thru 2 full rounds has to be unprecedented. Thought someone would reach for Malik Willis.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64687 on: April 30, 2022, 07:44:13 am »
1 QB thru 2 full rounds has to be unprecedented. Thought someone would reach for Malik Willis.

Well, someone will get a bargain in the later rounds ...

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #64688 on: April 30, 2022, 08:46:16 am »
It's quite odd seeing the jets do seemingly good sensible things

Offline jedimaster

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #64689 on: April 30, 2022, 09:03:05 am »
Looking at the remaining highest rated players list....Isaiah Spiller, RB, Texas A&M.....can't help but think that Spiller isn't the greatest name for a running back  ;D
We do beg your pardon, but we are in your garden

Offline jedimaster

• Kopite
« Reply #64690 on: April 30, 2022, 10:12:55 am »
The Jets last season drafted a Michael Carter at RB and a Michael Carter at CB. They have continued keeping it in the family this year, so they now have Breece Hall RB and Bryce Hall at CB, and Zach Wilson QB throwing to Garrett Wilson WR  :o
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 10:14:38 am by jedimaster »
We do beg your pardon, but we are in your garden

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #64691 on: April 30, 2022, 02:28:52 pm »
Jets have become a team you are going to want to watch... they have picked up some great players. breece hall will really help zach wilson out and they have weapons. picked up 4 quality players with their first 4 picks.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64692 on: April 30, 2022, 02:34:12 pm »
The Jets last season drafted a Michael Carter at RB and a Michael Carter at CB. They have continued keeping it in the family this year, so they now have Breece Hall RB and Bryce Hall at CB, and Zach Wilson QB throwing to Garrett Wilson WR  :o

And have brothers Quinnen and Quincy Williams on the team.

Jets ownership can be cheap, so I'm guessing the draft/free agency strategy was to get guys with similar names to save on admin costs.  :)
King Kenny.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #64693 on: April 30, 2022, 02:54:07 pm »
Getting Joe Douglas in as GM looks like it's paid off [didn't realise he's been there since 2019]. The Jets long been incompetent when it comes to the draft, passing on Dan Marino for instance[mind you most teams passed on Marino], then passing on Warren Sapp for Kyle Brady amongst other things
#Sausages

Offline Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64694 on: May 3, 2022, 12:26:32 am »

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #64695 on: May 4, 2022, 02:15:10 pm »
International games announced, not great set of games (obviously the massive Rodgers draw aside). Even munich looks bit meh now and would really like excuse to go to that one....
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64696 on: May 4, 2022, 02:39:54 pm »
I`ve always liked Peter King`s writing and i especially like his draft day stories:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/02/baltimore-ravens-draft-room-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #64697 on: May 4, 2022, 02:41:15 pm »
International games announced, not great set of games (obviously the massive Rodgers draw aside). Even munich looks bit meh now and would really like excuse to go to that one....

Could the Vikings- Saints be the best international game next season? On paper I think it might be since the teams are probably relatively even and could be considered teams that have genuine play-off hopes in 2022.

There'll be intrigue in the other London games with Rodgers playing and Wilson at the Broncos. They look like 2 unevenly matched games. Same with the Munich game. 49ers v Cardinals in Mexico might be decent but lots of Q marks about both teams currently.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #64698 on: May 4, 2022, 02:55:13 pm »
I'm only interested in the munich game and that's mainly because it's in munich. Though seeing brady before he bins it (and sticks to it) has its appeal too.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #64699 on: May 4, 2022, 05:54:14 pm »
Will probably do the Munich game as a friend is a big Seahawks fan and wants to go, in full knowledge that they are going to be bad this year.

Likewise will go to the Giants game even though I know they will also be very bad this year!

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #64700 on: May 4, 2022, 07:18:34 pm »
Looks like I'll be 2 for 3 watching the Giants win live after October 9th.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #64701 on: May 10, 2022, 06:21:26 pm »
Tom Brady signs up to be lead NFL analyst on Fox, when he retires from playing.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33891178/tom-brady-join-fox-sports-lead-nfl-analyst-playing-career-ends
#Sausages

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #64702 on: May 10, 2022, 06:22:50 pm »
37 million bucks a year on a 10 year deal. which is a lot to give up to someone when you've no idea if they're going to be any good or not.

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64703 on: May 11, 2022, 12:48:10 pm »
Looks like I'm going to the Packers/Giants game.

Looking forward to it as going with a lad who likes the packers and the other the giants.

First time at Tottenham's stadium for me too.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64704 on: May 11, 2022, 01:08:16 pm »
Looks like I'm going to the Packers/Giants game.

Looking forward to it as going with a lad who likes the packers and the other the giants.

First time at Tottenham's stadium for me too.

Were tickets already on general sale? Supposed to be going with mates, hope we haven't missed it!

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64705 on: May 11, 2022, 01:22:19 pm »
Were tickets already on general sale? Supposed to be going with mates, hope we haven't missed it!

No tickets have gone on sale yet. Sales in June.

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64706 on: May 11, 2022, 02:10:47 pm »
Yeah I think they go on sale June 12th.
I probably should have been a bit more clear with that, apologies.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #64707 on: May 13, 2022, 07:18:09 am »

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64708 on: May 13, 2022, 08:40:10 am »

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #64709 on: May 13, 2022, 08:44:05 am »
The Falcons part is amazing

It's all good. Many amusing pokes at teams

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #64710 on: May 13, 2022, 07:21:41 pm »
Jerry Jeudy in custody for damaging property in a domestic dispute. Probably a suspended light sentence and some games banned by the NFL if convicted. Bad start to the summer for the perennial transfer window champions Denver Broncos if you ask me.

Speaking of which, I saw they got penned in for Monday Night Football at Seattle in week one. That was bound to happen!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 07:23:55 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #64711 on: May 13, 2022, 10:42:29 pm »
https://twitter.com/chargers/status/1524902549353951232

fucking brilliant.
The Browns and Jaguars ones are amazing.

Even had a go at the great Mina Kimes for the Seattle one.

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #64712 on: May 14, 2022, 05:59:41 am »
The Browns and Jaguars ones are amazing.

Even had a go at the great Mina Kimes for the Seattle one.

You missed the best one for Seattle, superbowl 49 goal line run play  ;D

#Sausages

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64713 on: May 16, 2022, 09:52:08 am »
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/16/nfl-10-billion-franchise-jerry-jones-fmia-peter-king/

Rationalisation of those Vikings draft day moves from Peter King:

A Vikings Gambit
Shame on me for not writing about this in the last two columns, but I wanted to get to it while it still matters. I think one of the most interesting things that happened in the draft was a rookie GM—with a team that’s a sneaky threat to go deep into the playoffs—trading in the first round with a team in his own division, then trading in the second round with another team in his division. And both of those division rivals picked receivers who could haunt the Vikings.

So why do I think Kwesi Adofo-Mensah did the right thing for his franchise? It’s arguable that one day he’ll regret trading down from 12th overall to 32nd with Detroit, allowing the Lions to pick Alabama receiver Jameson Williams. It’s arguable, but probably to a lesser degree, that he’ll regret trading down with Green Bay at 34 and handing the Packers wideout Christian Watson.

It comes down to this: The Vikings started the draft with two picks in the top 70. By the time day two was over, they’d made four picks in the top 70. And they were able to, in Adofo-Mensah’s words, “do more about the basket of problems we were trying to solve” than if they’d sat at 12 and picked, for example, Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton. Going down to 32, they got Georgia safety Lewis Cine, then picked Clemson corner Andrew Booth Jr., at 42, LSU guard Ed Ingram at 59 and Oklahoma linebacker Brian Asamoah at 66.

But Adofo-Mensah knows his first draft, and his rep locally, will be attached in part to Jameson Williams and Christian Watson.

As Adofo-Mensah said Friday, “I don’t know you’re not supposed to trade within the division, but I think you need to be delicate about it. It’s an uncomfortable position. I don’t think I would trade Justin Jefferson in the division. But a draft pick is an uncertain thing. You’re getting something back that is also uncertain. With Detroit, all else being equal and I had similar value somewhere else, I’d deal somewhere else. But that was our best option, we pulled the trigger, and I’m happy with what we did.

“I’m not dumb. I know every touchdown catch [Williams] scores against us, TV will show me or show my name. That’s life. If my feelings are going to get in the way of us making decisions to improve the team, I shouldn’t be in this seat. I made the decision because I’m in charge, but it’s more fair to say WE made the decision as an organization. The [draft] room was behind what we were doing … Detroit had [picks] 32 and 34, and we were targeting those picks for specific reasons.”

So 32 was Cine, a highly regarded player at a need position. At 34, Adofo-Mensah said he probably would have taken Booth, the Clemson corner, but then the Packers called, offering 53 and 59 for the 34th pick.

Did Adofo-Mensah want to give Green Bay a fleet receiver with size? No. “You’re a little terrified that Aaron Rodgers is gonna get that player, but it was actually the easier decision of the two,” Adofo-Mensah said. “You knew specifically what Green Bay was doing. They’re trying to be good this year. There was a different calculus to that conversation. But what we knew was, if Green Bay called any team after us and offered that deal, they’d have fallen all over themselves to take it. So Green Bay would have gotten the same player, and we wouldn’t have gotten the assets for it. If I didn’t do it, it’d just have been about saving face with the media.”

The Vikings took the 53rd pick and moved back up 11 spots in a trade with Indianapolis to get Booth at 42. Then Adofo-Mensah filled two other holes, guard and linebacker, at 59 and 66.

The math says Minnesota started the day with 12 and 47 and, with other picks being involved, turned those into four need players at 32, 42, 59 and 66.

Adofo-Mensah is happy, even if some of his fans are not. He said after the draft, he went to a Twins game and at a bar afterward, a couple of fans said, “How’d you trade with Green Bay?!”

Maybe Adofo-Mensah should have just sat where he was and taken, say, Kyle Hamilton and Ed Ingram. This is just me, but knowing what I know and the alternatives the new GM had, I’d have been disappointed if he just sat and picked. Williams could turn out to be a great receiver and he could torment the Vikings, but if three of those four players become valued starters over the next four to five years, it’s a win for Minnesota.

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64714 on: May 18, 2022, 03:53:54 pm »
Eagles sign Bradberry on a one year deal.
Looking good this season, just a safety away from challenging as long as Hurts makes a decent step forward.

Exciting times.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #64715 on: May 20, 2022, 04:38:26 pm »
Eagles sign Bradberry on a one year deal.
Looking good this season, just a safety away from challenging as long as Hurts makes a decent step forward.

Exciting times.

Wonder if he will though. Lots thinking that the Eagles draft & moves were with a light to having everything in place to draft a franchise QB next season. Wonder what Hurts having a great season would do to that plan? (If it's even a plan)

Feels like Eagles & Cowboys for the NFC East again.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #64716 on: May 20, 2022, 04:42:42 pm »
Lot of negativity around Trey Lance at the moment on social media. Media whispers about how 49ers coaching staff view him and the risk around him.

The 49ers fanbase has one of the biggest and prolific social media following in the NFL. I do wonder if there is any truth in the Trey Lance rumours or whether writing a negative story around the 49ers, and an absolute key component of any potential success, drives clicks at a period when NFL news is at it's lowest.

There's also the potential that the whispers around Lance are emanating from the coaches who left the 49ers in the post season period. Just replaced the QB coach from 2021 season so could be a link there.

I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #64717 on: May 24, 2022, 02:11:50 am »
Doing the rounds, that the NFL owners are voting whether to remove Dan Snyder as Commanders owner, they need pass minimum 24 votes to remove him as owner.
#Sausages

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64718 on: May 24, 2022, 09:12:00 am »
Doing the rounds, that the NFL owners are voting whether to remove Dan Snyder as Commanders owner, they need pass minimum 24 votes to remove him as owner.

Some of them are reportedly embarrassed (now that it`s made the media) about his behaviour and the culture at the organisation. You have to wonder how many will vote against kicking him out if they have similar issues (yes, you Mark Davis).

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64719 on: May 24, 2022, 09:20:08 am »
I dont know if they have the votes