Author Topic: UEFA makes CL, Eurpa Lge & Conf format changes 2024/25 | + UEFA being dicks news  (Read 12994 times)

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
They will need to somehow reduce the total number of domestic games for this to work. They are way too many games. Or clubs will need deeper squads.

I think domestic cups will be done eventually or clubs will play B teams (some already do), or reduce number of teams in PL like the Bundesliga.

Why is this format/changes not getting any criticism?

Because it doesn't affect City or Chelsea. They have A teams, B teams and even C teams.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
Under the new wildcard rules, the following would automatically qualify next season:
Lille, Slavia Prague, Arsenal and Tottenham.

Obviously if we didn't get top 4 we would replace one of those.
https://old.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/musy2f/oc_which_4_teams_would_have_qualified_for_this/
:D

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
Now the ESL is dead fans should be kicking the shit of this and UEFA. The new format is absolutely awful. What a load of shite.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
Now the ESL is dead fans should be kicking the shit of this and UEFA. The new format is absolutely awful. What a load of shite.
This, absolutely this.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
Will this still happen though? OR are we going to see some changes due to protests?

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
Will this still happen though? OR are we going to see some changes due to protests?

It's been announced and there has been no indication that it will change. UEFA has welcomed the breakaway clubs back into the fold and everything's rosy again.

We can go back to the normality of watching Qatar play United Arab Emirates in the semifinals of the European Cup.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's been announced and there has been no indication that it will change. UEFA has welcomed the breakaway clubs back into the fold and everything's rosy again.

We can go back to the normality of watching Qatar play United Arab Emirates in the semifinals of the European Cup.

It'll be a nice little group of clubs after the Saudis and China eventually buy their own vehicles.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
Why is this format/changes not getting any criticism?

Because Super League just provided the perfect cover for it to sneak in.

We should be turning our sights on this next. Fuck UEFA thinking this whole Super League fiasco being overturned has marked some kind of victory for them

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad

https://twitter.com/SpionKop1906/status/1384766329220120580 (from this 8am morning)

Statement on last night’s news:

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad

'Uefa could be forced to alter Champions League plans amid backlash':-

Two spots due to be awarded on historical success
Clubs outside Super League 12 want to remove that cushion

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/21/uefa-could-be-forced-to-alter-champions-league-plans-amid-backlash-super-league
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
'Uefa could be forced to alter Champions League plans amid backlash':-

Two spots due to be awarded on historical success
Clubs outside Super League 12 want to remove that cushion

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/21/uefa-could-be-forced-to-alter-champions-league-plans-amid-backlash-super-league

That would be a token change, it would still be ten group games and the only two "big" clubs that would miss out would also miss out in the current system.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
I think what's frustrating is that there are "good" things that could be tried but since PBP (wrongly) and ESL (rightly) have been so badly received then it's hard to see how anything will change.

Nothing being suggested figures out ways to share more of anything.  Whether it be ownership changes or CL changes.  I'd guess 27/28 will roll around with even more extreme CL changes as a fait accompli and we'll be wondering what happened.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
Wow, these changes are just super. In a league of their own, these people.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
So this is the future envisaged by the guardians of the game. Drain players, prop up bigger clubs, make money above all, dilute competitiveness. Not much between this and the super-circus in all honesty.

the circus looks better to me, except for the closed shop. Got to make this monstrosity smaller and more exclusive, not 36 freaking teams. thats two whole leagues qualify ffs. 
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
So this is the future envisaged by the guardians of the game. Drain players, prop up bigger clubs, make money above all, dilute competitiveness. Not much between this and the super-circus in all honesty.

It was the ESL clubs who pushed UEFA into this stupid format.

Agnelli.

“I think we’re very close to my ideal Champions League, I think the Swiss system is beautiful,” he said. “I think it will provide great opportunities for those teams participating in that competition. It will provide the knockouts that are the essence of any competition. It’s very, very close to an ideal Champions League. We’re maybe just a couple of weeks away.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
Nasser Al-Kelaifi, PSG Chairman, now head of ECA.

Offline ep1987

• Emiliano Insua head coach
  • Anny Roader

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
I posted a thread on here last year about my disillusionment with modern professional football.

I just can't relate to it anymore. Its become so detached from its roots that my love for it has gradually dwindled away

Don't get me wrong, I still watch our games and still want us to win. But my fervour and enthusiasm is nowhere near what it used to be

I can genuinely see myself waking up one day and fucking it off entirely. This is just another step in that direction I feel

Load of absolute bollox this is
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
A better CL reform: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SP_ra0ei2tH8riHP1CeUj65ANKIQ1hGAlpNW8Jiypeg/edit#gid=0

Well, yes, except you should still let every domestic champion try and qualify for the tournament. Now you're talking about leaving the champions of Sweden, Norway, Poland, Israel, Bulgaria, Romania, Slovenia and Slovakia outside of the tournament altogether. That's not fair at all.
Linudden.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
I posted a thread on here last year about my disillusionment with modern professional football.

I just can't relate to it anymore. Its become so detached from its roots that my love for it has gradually dwindled away

Don't get me wrong, I still watch our games and still want us to win. But my fervour and enthusiasm is nowhere near what it used to be

I can genuinely see myself waking up one day and fucking it off entirely. This is just another step in that direction I feel

Load of absolute bollox this is

I've been similar this season (and even some of last). I've watched us fully, and whenever I've put another game on I can never be bothered sitting through it and end up doing something else. 5 years ago I used to watch every match I could find.

Constant changing and bending of all different aspects on and off the pitch, to try and chase after a falling boulder.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
I've been similar this season (and even some of last). I've watched us fully, and whenever I've put another game on I can never be bothered sitting through it and end up doing something else. 5 years ago I used to watch every match I could find.

Constant changing and bending of all different aspects on and off the pitch, to try and chase after a falling boulder.

That's how I feel, even with our games now - i'll be honest - i'll have it on in the background whilst i'm doing other stuff whereas I used to watch till the very last second.

Its just a death by a thousand cuts.....and i'm almost drained.

Offline OperationIvy

• Kopite
Agree with the posts on not being arsed to watch games anymore.

Whether its group stage or leagues or whatever, it doesnt matter, most people only enjoy watching high stakes games. Ie games where teams have to win on the night.

Aside from Liverpool games, I dont watch group stage games and only watch other teams in the knockout if it is the 2nd leg of a knockout and it is close.

The only thing that would make me watch more is if they did away with the Group (or mini league now or whatever) stages and turned it into a pure knockout (ideally 1 leg ties).

Each game would be more entertaining, but it will never happen because the people in charge dont care about the product, only the money.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
Agree with the posts on not being arsed to watch games anymore.

Whether its group stage or leagues or whatever, it doesnt matter, most people only enjoy watching high stakes games. Ie games where teams have to win on the night.

Aside from Liverpool games, I dont watch group stage games and only watch other teams in the knockout if it is the 2nd leg of a knockout and it is close.

The only thing that would make me watch more is if they did away with the Group (or mini league now or whatever) stages and turned it into a pure knockout (ideally 1 leg ties).

Each game would be more entertaining, but it will never happen because the people in charge dont care about the product, only the money.

Wasn't Perez saying the same thing the other day?

People who watch those games are mostly old ones and betting people. Young people have no desire to watch Maribor against Braga.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
Wasn't Perez saying the same thing the other day?

People who watch those games are mostly old ones and betting people. Young people have no desire to watch Maribor against Braga.

Neither do older people.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
Neither do older people.

A know a few old farts who do  ;D

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
A know a few old farts who do  ;D

MacRed is an old fart?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
At the end of the day it looks like we helped the Qatari's take over European football.  Yay us?  I guess we don't have to worry about the Saudi's anytime soon barring a sudden rapprochement.

Aside from that, an ESL properly done is probably what is needed as part of a wider reform of the game as a whole but that's been completely fucked up.  Probably stuck with some shitty UEFA reforms that solve nothing for the next decade with nothing changing until the finances of the game somehow crater.  I don't even see how that's possible though so who knows. 

Really have to hand it to our owners and the rest of the band, what a bang up fucking job they did here.  Maybe Florentino Perez can go on TV every night but this time as a call in show to payoff the debts?  Fucking morons.

Offline CalgarianRed

• Kopite

Same here, my weekends used to be spent watching every interesting looking game from PL to Serie A and La Liga. Used to watch almost every CL game.

I have missed a few of our games this season if they were too early in my timezone and only watched a few CL games (PSG-Bayern and Juve-Porto). Watched no CL group game. It just feels boring (the lack of fans add to the mundane feeling as well). Can't celebrate goals due to fucking VAR. I used to fall of my chair sometimes celebrating our goals and now I have to wait for some random dude doing geometry. And then the sudden rush is gone.

This new CL format is an abomination, I am surprised there is no backlash from the mainstream media. And then they complain about falling revenues. Make the game interesting, all the top leagues are so uncompetitive.  City will sign Kane/Haaland and will probably walk the league again next year. PSG and City will dominate the CL for coming years.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 06:31:02 pm by CalgarianRed »
True North Strong

Offline ep1987

• Emiliano Insua head coach
  • Anny Roader
Well, yes, except you should still let every domestic champion try and qualify for the tournament. Now you're talking about leaving the champions of Sweden, Norway, Poland, Israel, Bulgaria, Romania, Slovenia and Slovakia outside of the tournament altogether. That's not fair at all.

They'd be guaranteed Europa league (boosted prizepool) and 4 European home games without the need to qualify. Any team can get into CL through success in EL which will boost co-efficient. Sadly the lower ranked associations are currently just making up the numbers in the CL group stages which diminishes the product and actually has a negative effect on domestic competitions if a big city team speculates and spends to qualify for CL a couple of years running (the CL money then keeps them ahead).

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Agree with what Gundogan said. Nobody ever thinks about the players (in terms of their general fitness and wellbeing) and it's always more games, more competitions.

I posted on here a few months backs about how a player could potentially play 100+ games in a season, which is July/August right through to the following July now. And that's with the current schedule. This is even more games.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to

Up till about 5 years ago I watched a ton of football. VAR scaled that back a lot over the last couple of years, although it was obviously great seeing us win every week last season, I wasn't really watching other games and had the one interest of seeing us win the league. And even last season VAR just added to the stress watching our matches. Throw empty grounds into the mix and the whole thing is pretty awful at the moment. Added to the sterile dominance of Man City.

If they got rid of VAR and got the crowds back it'd make a big difference again at least.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
Have they not just made a European league that will compete with domestic leagues?
I can see them expanding it to more games as seasons go by, and making it easier for the top teams to qualify regardless of their domestic standings.
Inevitably, the domestic season will become the "cup" matches where teams rotate their "b" teams.

I mean, is the difference between the new format and the Super league, the fact that the Super league limited the teams involved?
Feels the same way otherwise.

I wish they would just rank all the teams at the beginning of the tournament, and then let them play 2 legged games until the final. Every round a few teams that were knocked out could play a one off game to get back in. More at the beginning, less as it goes forward, ending around the last 16.

Or just stick with the current format. Sheesh. The whole fun in it was that from Jan onwards, every game counted,every goal counted, and only 2 games could separate would would move on.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
all we have to do is stop watching...........

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It was fine how it was ..clowns

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
Agree with what Gundogan said. Nobody ever thinks about the players (in terms of their general fitness and wellbeing) and it's always more games, more competitions.

I posted on here a few months backs about how a player could potentially play 100+ games in a season, which is July/August right through to the following July now. And that's with the current schedule. This is even more games.
clubs are needing more games because players and agents  are greedy c*nts and are wanting higher and higher wages.

Clubs can’t afford the wages (especially right now ) so they are needing to extract every bit of revenue they can find. Most clubs are probably losing money because of the greedy players. It’s a madness that needs to stop but it will take all European leagues to agree to something.

When average/shit players and teenagers are winning the lottery each week, you know something is wrong.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 01:35:07 am by stevensr123 »
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
clubs are needing more games because players and agents  are greedy c*nts and are wanting higher and higher wages.

Clubs can’t afford the wages (especially right now ) so they are needing to extract every bit of revenue they can find. Most clubs are probably losing money because of the greedy players. It’s a madness that needs to stop but it will take all European leagues to agree to something.

When average/shit players and teenagers are winning the lottery each week, you know something is wrong.

You're talking daft.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan

You're talking daft.
most clubs aren’t making money, where do you think the expenses are going? Transfer fees, agents and player salaries.

It used to be the clubs making the money (like any viable business), now it’s the players and agents. Most people aren’t buying clubs to make money as a profitable business these days, if we want fan ownership we need to sort out that part of the game first.

Most clubs in the premier league alone are running at 60-70% player wage to revenue ratio, its madness. And who picks up the bill? The fans. We are the ones getting the shit end of the stick from all involved.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 04:57:10 am by stevensr123 »
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
most clubs aren’t making money, where do you think the expenses are going? Transfer fees, agents and player salaries.

It used to be the clubs making the money (like any viable business), now it’s the players and agents. Most people aren’t buying clubs to make money as a profitable business these days, if we want fan ownership we need to sort out that part of the game first.

Most clubs in the premier league alone are running at 60-70% player wage to revenue ratio, its madness. And who picks up the bill? The fans. We are the ones getting the shit end of the stick from all involved.

This is actually one of the things that gives me some hope that owners might come around to some fan based demands. If measures can be introduced to limit players and agent fees and wages, then owners will be making more money whilst having to invest less. If the trade off to that is things like cheaper match day tickets, or slightly lower TV revenue due to not having ridiculous KO times, then it would be win-win as far as fans and owners are concerned.

Of course this would require Europe-wide movement as most of the players and agents would simply follow the money.

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad

Ceferin: "Klopp and Guardiola complain that we play too much? If you play less, your salaries go down. Who should complain is the factory workers at a thousand euros a month".

www.calcioefinanza.it/2022/06/25/ceferin-superlega-morta-tre-persone-che-portano-tutti-in-tribunale

Ceferin will be on the picket line tomorrow for the RMT, I'm sure. Or lowering tickets to games so factory workers on 1000 a month can afford to go to UEFA matches again...

Or he just says shit like this; the old Tory tactic of pitting people against each other... while the corrupt people at the very top get richer and richer on the backs of others.

The only language UEFA understands is money, and how to play down much deserved criticism of itself.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
Ceferin: "Klopp and Guardiola complain that we play too much? If you play less, your salaries go down. Who should complain is the factory workers at a thousand euros a month".

www.calcioefinanza.it/2022/06/25/ceferin-superlega-morta-tre-persone-che-portano-tutti-in-tribunale

Ceferin will be on the picket line tomorrow for the RMT, I'm sure. Or lowering tickets to games so factory workers on 1000 a month can afford to go to UEFA matches again...

Or he just says shit like this; the old Tory tactic of pitting people against each other... while the corrupt people at the very top get richer and richer on the backs of others.

The only language UEFA understands is money, and how to play down much deserved criticism of itself.
He's such a corrupt and massive c*nt