Author Topic: Klopp's Second Season - What constitutes a good 16/17 season in your view?  (Read 124473 times)

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
Top 6 and a trophy would be good, don't want to place unnecessary expectations on Klopp.   Top 4 or anything above will be a bonus.

Plus it could be a very close season where the top 5-6 are only apart by 7-8 points, so it's pretty difficult to measure it on position alone.

I agree with this.

I hope/want to see Klopp as a long term appointment here. So progression year on year is what I want. A Proper top four challenge and hopefully winning a trophy are realistic expectations. Kicking off, moaning like fuck if we don't finish top four and questioning the managers position is not what I want to see. Although I accept it's inevitable that some will do just that.

Online Kenny19

• Anny Roader
  • Dreaming our dreams and drifting within
5th place and fa cup

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Top four and one trophy

Alternately one trophy that also leads to champions league qualification

Basically not getting champs league seems detrimental and we can't risk much longer - next season is the first season for Pep, Mourninho at Man U, Koeman, plenty of chances for slip ups we can take advantage of.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
too early to predict but what I'd like to see is a PUSH for the top 4 and to do well in the domestic trophies.

i reckon there's a chance we'll lift some sort of silverware next season. losing two finals is inspirational enough itself.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Average 2 ppg. Without the distraction of Europe this is realistic in my opinion.

Cups are different and depend a lot on luck almost as much as quality so hope for a trophy but wouldn't expect one.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
Domestic Triple
so if we won a domestic double that's not success?

Any cup i think is a good season. I think finishing in the top 4 would be a big step as well and I'd probably consider that as success too.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
3rd place.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I`m extremely optimistic for the next season.

I could easily write an essay on why I`m so convinced we`re gonna win the league next season because there are so many reasons for it but in short I think if Klopp is ever gonna produce a miracle it`s gonna be early in his reign while his players look at him like God as they`ve already seen last season how he can help them compete and achieve things that didn`t look possible when he took over.

To take over a group of players in October who were so terribly low on confidence and to take them to a European cup final and make them one of the better performing teams in the league in the last third of the campaign was nothing short of outstanding. I expect that trend to continue next  season and if we get that wide forward we`re after we`ll have him, Origi, Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge and Ings which is a very respectable group of forwards capable of scoring the amount of goals we need to be up there in the mix and prevail eventually as they`ll be under Klopp`s tutelage.

I haven`t been this excited and optimistic about a new season in a very long time.

My name is vagabond and I endorse this message.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Risto

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Winning the League, Fa Cup and the League Cup would be a good season in my view, but failing that I would settle for just one trophy or at least some good consistency performance wise in the League.

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
Entertainment! Full Capacity attendances (resulting in ARE expansion given the green light) Serious CL challenge! A cup final! Extended contract for Herr Klopp.
Oh and getting shut of Mario!

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
Surprised how many people aren't expecting top 4 so far.

We did very, very well in the second half of the season and really only collapsed when we gave up on the league entirely.

With no European commitments, finishing outside the top 4 would be a disappointment. Other teams are strengthening, but what they do matters less than what we do. And so far, in the transfer market, we've done well.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Surprised how many people aren't expecting top 4 so far.

We did very, very well in the second half of the season and really only collapsed when we gave up on the league entirely.

With no European commitments, finishing outside the top 4 would be a disappointment. Other teams are strengthening, but what they do matters less than what we do. And so far, in the transfer market, we've done well.

I keep seeing this, but as I have already asked, how many teams that haven't had European commitments have challenged for the title or qualified for the CL since the start of the premier league era? Not many mate. I'm not waving the white flag and saying we have no chance of finishing top four by the way. We have. I just don't think it will be as easy as some people think.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I keep seeing this, but as I have already asked, how many teams that haven't had European commitments have challenged for the title or qualified for the CL since the start of the premier league era? Not many mate. I'm not waving the white flag and saying we have no chance of finishing top four by the way. We have. I just don't think it will be as easy as some people think.

How many of those teams had a coach like Klopp and a squad like ours? I don't think we can draw many conclusions from the historical record because we're in a pretty rare situation. Better to focus on the fact that Klopp had us as a bonafide top 4 team until he prioritized the EL and, with the extra training work he'll be able to do with the team, there's no reason for him not to deliver the same caliber of performance again.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
How many of those teams had a coach like Klopp and a squad like ours? I don't think we can draw many conclusions from the historical record because we're in a pretty rare situation. Better to focus on the fact that Klopp had us as a bonafide top 4 team until he prioritized the EL and, with the extra training work he'll be able to do with the team, there's no reason for him not to deliver the same caliber of performance again.

Like I said, I think we can finish top four. We have a top coach who will make us a better side. But there are 4 or 5 sets of fan bases who will be thinking the exact same thing. And there are about 5-6 teams who will be thinking they can make top 4 or challenge for the title as well. There are going to be some top managers with some good sides in the league this season and it's going to be a real battle for those top four places. Lets just hope we're one of those sides.

Offline anoopvk

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
Anything better than 8th would be a start.  A cup would also be nice.
"We must turn from doubters to believers"

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
Winning something and being in Europe the following year. We've got to start creating a winning mentality.

Offline Andy Hunter

• Rip Van Walford. Committed Iron Pumper! Full of hot air. Due to weighty issues, currently seeking a new hobby.....
  • Legacy Fan
I'm tempering my expectations by splitting the season in two

The first 6 games, and the rest of the season, (including the 6th after Chelsea as were facing Steve Bruce afterall  :butt :butt )

Any expectations we set, could be different after that tough start, by the time we reach September 24.

Roll on that second half  :wave
Did Shevchenko score his rebound?
Why was there an ambulance behind the goal for Tommason's Penalty?
HOW DID GUDJOHNSEN MISS??

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
top 4 would be a good start. a trophy definately a bonus.

knowing that there is no european games to be content with anything less would be a dissapointment.

It's tough managing expectations but we really do have to show some sort of progression under klopp. Losing two finals last season hits me hard but just shows that we can and do have a squad that is capable of perfoming.

The general feeling of losing the euros is also still felt here on the board and especially in the transfers chat. The mood would be would be more optimistic if we have won the europa.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
I agree with this.

I hope/want to see Klopp as a long term appointment here. So progression year on year is what I want. A Proper top four challenge and hopefully winning a trophy are realistic expectations. Kicking off, moaning like fuck if we don't finish top four and questioning the managers position is not what I want to see. Although I accept it's inevitable that some will do just that.

This echoes my sentiments too. Next season I want to see us evolve and for performances on the pitch to continue in the upward trajectory that we generally saw from February onwards. I want to see continued improvement in our shape from a defensive perspective and an ingrained style of play become even more prominent as the season progresses. I want to see the likes of Can, Lallana, Origi, Lovren, Firmino, Coutinho etc.. continued to grow as players and cement them themselves as key pieces as we push on over the next few seasons. Most of all though I want that bond between manager and fans & players and fans to continue to strengthen. As a club, we can only succeed if everyone is pulling in the same direction.

Putting targets on league finishes and cup runs isn't a bad thing thing per se. But it can be a dangerous thing. A target does not necessarily equal an expectation. Our target should be to win every single competition we enter next season. It's not my expectation that we will though. I don't necessarily expect us to finish top 4 or win a cup because there are too many unknown factors currently to make that call.

My big concern for the season is that some of our fans get what a target is and what an expectation is mixed up. Particularly when it's measured quantitatively in terms of points tally or league position or cup wins. I've a concern that a lot of fans haven't got the stomach for the fight. They haven't got the stomach for a rebuilding process that may take more than 1 summer transfer window. That these same fans begin to apply unnecessary pressure on the manager and players if we don't get top 4 or win a trophy next season.

Don't get me wrong, the manager should be under pressure to deliver. A pressure to improve our playing style and to wring the maximum performances out of the squad at his disposal. If he does that then no one can complain about the manger or players-  no matter if we finish 1st, 4th or 7th.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
Whether you cut it by revenue or payroll, we are 5th in the financial table behind Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal. And we much closer to 4th than Tottenham in 6th. So a par league finish should really be 5th, with us being closer to 4th than 6th. However, considering all those teams I just mentioned bar Chelsea will be playing in Europe next season, I think a top 4 finish is a sensible expectation to have of Klopp.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
How does that famous saying of ours go? "Shankly laid the foundations, Paisley built the house". So lets give Klopp the time to lay the foundations and in time, hopefully build the house as well. Lets not get on his back if the team isn't comfortably top four come Christmas. Lets try and show a bit of patience eh? Let him build something great. And let's never allow him to be treated badly by certain sections of our fan base like Rafa Benitez was.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 09:56:37 am by Hemorrhaging Tony Giamatti »

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We can make top 4

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
5-8th and a decent cup run would do me.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
Top 4. It has to be. Know it's dead difficult but hey if you don't at least aim for that, you are doomed.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Top four and one trophy

Alternately one trophy that also leads to champions league qualification

Basically not getting champs league seems detrimental and we can't risk much longer - next season is the first season for Pep, Mourninho at Man U, Koeman, plenty of chances for slip ups we can take advantage of.

There's no cup we're in that can lead to Champions League qualification.

The only way in is top 4 finish.

Possible, but its gonna be difficult.

Offline invader_gir

• Anny Roader
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Beating Arsenal for the 4th place and either FA cup win or League Cup win...

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
CL  qualification.

Online Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
How does that famous saying of ours go? "Shankly laid the foundations, Paisley built the house". So lets give Klopp the time to lay the foundations and in time, hopefully build the house as well. Lets not get on his back if the team isn't comfortably top four come Christmas. Lets try and show a bit of patience eh? Let him build something great. And let's never allow him to be treated badly by certain sections of our fan base like Rafa Benitez was.

I agree, completely.

Then again Kenny was sacked after coming 8th and getting to 2 cup finals, so it's not just the fans who need patience. 
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I agree, completely.

Then again Kenny was sacked after coming 8th and getting to 2 cup finals, so it's not just the fans who need patience. 

Yeh but, Kenny was never their man mate.

I don't think they really want to get rid of Brendan to be honest. I think they wanted to give him another season, but such was the growing resentment towards him and the general apathy towards the team from the fan base, add to that the opportunity to hire one of the best managers in the world, they felt they had to act.

Online wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
75 points and a domestic trophy for me. With all the training time Klopp and his staff will have during the pre-season and season, and maybe more importantly the recovery time the players will have between matches, I think that's a real possibility. Klopp is not a miracle worker, and our squad has some limitations, but he is a damned good trainer and coach. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us hit fifth gear 10-15 minutes into every match and not let up.       

Online Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
Yeh but, Kenny was never their man mate.

I don't think they really want to get rid of Brendan to be honest. I think they wanted to give him another season, but such was the growing resentment towards him and the general apathy towards the team from the fan base, add to that the opportunity to hire one of the best managers in the world, they felt they had to act.

Well,

there were plenty of rumours that Klopp wasn't exactly first choice either.  Hope I'm wrong but I do fear for him if he doesn't manage top 4.  I think all Managers should have at least 3 years (Hodgson exluded).

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 04:42:49 pm by stephen075 »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Well,

there were plenty of rumours that Klopp wasn't exactly first choice either.  Hope I'm wrong but I do fear for him if he doesn't manage top 4.  I think all Managers should have at least 3 years (Hodgson exluded).

If you're talking Ancelotti. I don't think that was ever a goer.

Offline mr dudek

• Look in to my eyes
  • Main Stander
  • Resident Hypnotist
I am a very reasonable person. A double of FA Cup and PL Trophy would do.  :champ
Other clubs can fight it out for the milk cup.  :nirnir

Am I doing it right guys?

Online Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
If you're talking Ancelotti. I don't think that was ever a goer.

I wasn't on about anybody in particular but there were lots of rumours that Klopp was too much of a maverick for some Board members.  Don't know if the rumours were true, don't remember any of the sources being particularly reliable.  Possibly a load of shite.

Still, I would worry if he doesn't get top 4.  Partly due to Kenny, partly due to above rumours (so probably completely unnecessarily) and partly due to that's the way it's done at most clubs these days.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd be more than happy for Klopp to be given 5 years no matter what.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I wasn't on about anybody in particular but there were lots of rumours that Klopp was too much of a maverick for some Board members.  Don't know if the rumours were true, don't remember any of the sources being particularly reliable.  Possibly a load of shite.

Still, I would worry if he doesn't get top 4.  Partly due to Kenny, partly due to above rumours (so probably completely unnecessarily) and partly due to that's the way it's done at most clubs these days.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd be more than happy for Klopp to be given 5 years no matter what.

1) I don't think the Kenny factor would come into it mate. For the reason I mentioned.

2) I think FSG will be patient enough as long as they see progression. Like a top four finish or at least a real challenge for a top four place and perhaps winning a bit of silverware as well. Afterall, they gave Brendan 3 and a bit seasons, so why not Jurgen? I think it would take one hell of a car crash season for them to get rid of him before then I reckon. Certain elements of our fan base would get on his case far quicker than the owners will.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:57:41 pm by Hemorrhaging Tony Giamatti »

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
Win every match.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Win every match.

If only it was that easy mate.

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
If only it was that easy mate.

;D  Ultimately a trophy would be nice, I think how well we do in the league will be determined by how well Klopp's coaching and style of play are implemented.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I think how well we do in the league will be determined by how well Klopp's coaching and style of play are implemented.

Yeah, I think you're right mate. :)

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
I love Klopp, a great manager with pedigree, and a proven winner - but what's all this that we shouldn't pressure him into trying to finish top 4?!

How low have we have fallen. Top 4 should be the minimum of our targets every season.