Author Topic: Lost Cup Finals (which one hurt you most?)  (Read 43981 times)

Offline lfcrule6times

• Legacy Fan
Re: Lost Cup Finals (which one hurt you most?)
« Reply #200 on: March 14, 2016, 11:22:12 pm »
Never won the Cup Winners Cup either, that's why our only final which ended in defeat robbed us of winning all 3 major Europen Trophies.

Yep. Frustrating thing is there's nothing we can do about it now unless they decide to bring it back which is extremely unlikely. At least with Club World Cup it still exists.
★     ★     ★     ★     ★     ★

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #201 on: March 14, 2016, 11:25:57 pm »
Yep. Frustrating thing is there's nothing we can do about it now unless they decide to bring it back which is extremely unlikely. At least with Club World Cup it still exists.

No good at stats etc, but anyone know what team has won The European Cup, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup (whatever the format of the first two)
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: March 15, 2016, 12:02:01 am »
No good at stats etc, but anyone know what team has won The European Cup, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup (whatever the format of the first two)

Juventus have and so have Bayern Munich : Juve have 2 European Cups, 1 Cup Winners' Cup and 3 UEFA Cups; Bayern have 5 European Cups, 1 Cup Winners' Cup and 1 UEFA Cup.

You can add Barcelona to that list. They have 5 European Cups and 4 Cup Winners' Cups but their three wins in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup all took place in the 1950s and 1960s. They have not won the UEFA Cup or the Europa League although to be fair to them they have rarely been poor enough to qualify for that.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:15:52 am by kriss »

Offline MrEazi1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: March 15, 2016, 02:46:17 pm »
Losing in 77 to the Mancs in the Cup Final was sickening. As was Wimbledon 88, Vinnie Jones still dining out on that tackle on Steve McMahon in the opening moments.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #204 on: March 15, 2016, 02:52:58 pm »
Losing in 77 to the Mancs in the Cup Final was sickening. As was Wimbledon 88, Vinnie Jones still dining out on that tackle on Steve McMahon in the opening moments.
he would have been sent off today for that, arguably Andy Thorn aswell when Beardsley was through
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: March 15, 2016, 02:53:38 pm »

Chelsea have

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: March 15, 2016, 02:59:34 pm »
Ajax cup winners cup in 87, european cup 4 times, uefa cup 1992

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: March 15, 2016, 04:52:08 pm »
Bit before my time, but surprised nobody's mentioned 78 League Cup against Cloughie's Red Bastards.  Miles outside the area.

Or, that no real arl arses have grumbled about the 1950 FA Cup Final.  My Dad used to tell me that Arsenal's tactics that day were debated in the House of Commons.  Know that's probably not true, but like to think it was so don't spoil it for me by telling me it wasn't.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 04:59:31 pm by stephen075 »
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #208 on: March 15, 2016, 05:11:27 pm »
Might as well run through most of them:

88 - first final I can remember, we're the champions, and we're gonna win the cup. Even got my Anfield Rap record (!!!). Then the TV breaks before KO. End up watching it on a portable, and we lose. Pretty upset but young enough to recover from.

89 - Will always be a defining moment/season for me. Watching the horror of Hillsborough and the aftermath. Winning the FA Cup after all that and beating Everton. I remember proclaiming "We're gonna win the league!"when it looked like we had jumped into top spot.
Friday night, just needed to avoid defeat. 1 nil down, a few mins to go and my sister (a gooner) admits "it's your year". The rest is history. It was the first time I cried. I guess it was the making of my love for LFC at 9 years old.

96 - Swapped my shift so I could watch the match. Big mistake - a shit performance and losing to those c*nts will always wrankle. Never really understood the fuss about the suits but you can only get away with things like that when you win.

2007 - Even though we all thought we were gonna win (remember all the montages at the time) and we expected to do it, strangely it didn't hurt that much. I was still proud of the team and was defiant. Think it hurts more as time has gone by as we haven't got close since.

2014 - This is the big one for me. The coping mechanism was how proud I was of the team to get so close from having no chance at the start of the season.

All the others in between were gutting but easier to cope with since they weren't important cups in the grand scheme of things. Its funny that in the end the two that stick out were not cup finals, they were league games at home where we didn't actually have to win. I guess what makes them bad is that we were in a position to win, and it was ripped away from us.

Its probably the same feeling that Bayern (99) and Atletico (2014) had, being so close to the holy grail only to be beaten.

89 will always be the one mainly because of how young I was.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 10:47:24 am by Mighty_Red »
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: March 15, 2016, 08:02:03 pm »
Bit before my time, but surprised nobody's mentioned 78 League Cup against Cloughie's Red Bastards.  Miles outside the area.

I think quite a few mentioned it

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: March 15, 2016, 08:08:58 pm »
Some good stuff there mighty red

I'll post more about 96 tomorrow. Great line about those suits too

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #211 on: March 15, 2016, 08:32:17 pm »
Its funny that in the end the two that stick out were not cup finals, they were league games at home where we didn't actually have to win. I guess what makes them bad is that we were in a position to win, and it was ripped away from us.

Agree, when I started the thread I said Cup Finals rather than just any game, but I knew these 2 games would pop up, because they cost us so dearly and without doubt hurt me more than the 3 Cup Finals I mentioned in my OP.

The Arsenal game was unreal, even a 1-0 defeat and we win the League, always remember McMahon giving it the 1 minute sign, then that 'it's up for grabs now' moment happened, I just felt numb, an unbelievable way to end such a season. Life just didn't seem fair.

The Chelsea game, in the grand scheme of things goes down as another 2-0 home defeat, but as we know it was the day our amazing title challenge was as good as lost. Without doubt the worst feeling I've ever had after a match.

Disbelief, shock anger etc all rolled into one.....but still couldn't help feeling so proud that we got into that position in the 1st place.

Felt mixed up and fucked up for ages after that game, felt sorry for Gerrard as much as anything.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:42:25 pm by mikeb58 »

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #212 on: March 16, 2016, 07:31:40 am »
I don't think the Chelsea game 2 years ago counts as it was still possible that we could win the league. The last 12 minutes at Palace were a lot more devastating as that really was it (almost).

I have erased the '77 FA Cup Final from my memory banks as we had the European Cup Final days later. The OT game v. Forest was, however, absolutely gutting.

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: March 16, 2016, 08:30:57 am »
The FA Cup final under Kenny.

The CL final didn't hurt as much because we had already beat them in 05.
Quote from: jillc
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Quote from: Gerrard#1
Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: March 16, 2016, 10:47:20 am »
There are some defeats you can live with, if maybe it wasn’t good enough on the day and the team ran themselves into the ground, if maybe you just came up against a much better team you never expected to beat anyway, but obviously a lot of defeats hurt and hurt bad for lot of reasons. It could be a mistake, a referee ripping you off or maybe the team just not turning up.

Liverpool's final with Man United in 1996, was exactly that, the team pretty much didn’t turn up. It had all the makings of what should have been one of the best Fa Cup finals of all time, both teams played good football, United had just won the league championship with a predominantly young team blended well with some experienced players (though to hear people talk about Alan Hansen's comments earlier in the season you would think the whole team was under the age of 12).

Liverpool's team wasn’t much different, I would argue their football was probably more entertaining to watch but perhaps a bit too flamboyant and maybe lacked the steel of a Scholes-Keane partnership in the middle. Here we had two teams though that had the potential to dominate English football for years to come (well one of them did I suppose), United had rebuilt their team in 1995, experienced heads like Paul Ince, Andrei Kanchelskis and Mark Hughes were sold and no one was bought, instead Alex Ferguson placed his trust in youth, through came the famous Fergie's Fledglings, all of whom had been carefully broken into the team and in 1995 it all started to blend together almost all at once, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes, David Beckham, Gary and Phil Neville, it wasn’t like they all made their debut that season but it was their breakthrough season, they laid down their markers and they were here to stay, say what you want about Ferguson but Jesus this was one hell of a call and he was one hell of a manager. That season United hauled back a Newcastle side that looked like they had the league won in January, United overcame a 12 point deficit to win the title and now had an FA cup in their sights.

Roy Evans meanwhile carefully constructed an excellent team, a solid defence, stylish midfield and a lethal attack, Robbie Fowler, up through the ranks, had scored 36 goals, while new signing Stan Collymore (the most expensive player in England) had not only set a lot of them up but he also weighed in with 17 himself. Most of the recent meetings between the two had been dominated by Liverpool, the previous season each team won their home games 2-0 in the league, Liverpool perhaps a little unlucky at old Trafford having had the better chances at 0-0 before succumbing to defensive mistakes. The league fixtures that season saw Liverpool draw 2-2 at Old Trafford in a match where they were denied two blatant penalties whilst United were awarded a very dodgy one themselves (David Ellery you spineless c*nt) but at Anfield there was no referee to save them, Liverpool won 2-0, were it not for wasteful finishing and a brilliant United keeper it would have been 5 or 6 (ala last Thursday night). For David De Gea, read Peter Schmeichel, the great Dane was the best keeper I have ever seen full stop. Incidentally all 4 goals in the United games that season from Liverpool were scored by Robbie Fowler, all absolutely wonderful goals if I may say so. The guy was a predator, he was absolutely ruthless, he made finishing look easy.

So enough of the build-up, you get the picture, two great teams, it should be a great game right? And yeah unfortunately I can't write this without mentioning them suits, at the time I must admit part of me thought they were nice, but once you associate it with a defeat then they will always look shite, if Liverpool won that day every wedding for a Liverpool fan that summer would have had the groom trying desperately to rent one of these, but we lost, I cringe looking at them now, I'm sure the players do too (mind you I always thought United's suits on the day were shite too, that stupid oversized rosette and what was with those waistcoats that went all the way up to your neck?).

The suits looked bad, it gave off an aura that a lot of them players never shook off, they looked like the type of thing some dickhead best man decided on for a stag do that was so bad you couldn’t look any more of a tosser if you tried but too much for me was made of it, maybe rich I say that given what I already said but I think it was overblown and I know over the years I've thought things looking back that were wrong, but the fact is Liverpool didn’t lose the cup final because of David James ordering suits in from Armani, if Liverpool wore pink, blue, red or black suits that day it wouldn’t have made a difference to how we played. It looked bad but maybe its exaggerated, Roy Evans and Ronnie Moran shouldn’t have allowed it, then again I'm sure suits were the last thing on their mind in the run up to the game.

Things look bad, and this is why this final looked bad, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind the players after the match were gutted, to hear some talk you would think they walked back to the dressing room, went "oh well, never mind, let's get suited and head off into London for the night, bus will be here in 20 minutes, get the round in Gaffer"

I am sure they were gutted at the outcome, I am sure they would love to change it, turn the clock back 20 years, do things differently, wouldn’t we all? Finals you see are big occasion and any player that remotely cares can be effected, it doesn’t matter how good they are sometimes, it doesn’t matter how much they are paid, sometimes a final comes up, it can be potentially the greatest final you could imagine but on the day, nerves can eat you up and things don’t happen, both teams are afraid to make mistakes, you know sometimes one mistake and that could be it. That’s why classic finals are few and far between, both teams just afraid to make mistakes on a big occasion (I genuinely don’t think I ever once saw a good world cup final in 26 years I follow football).

So anyway the game? Why did it hurt? Well life in general mixed in too, I was a fat wimpy 13 year old who got picked on in school a bit, never fought back and that just lets bullies feed off on their self- proclaimed machoism, my family decided to move home, away from all my friends, I stay in touch with them still but I was moved to an area where there was no one my age. The school was split between United and Liverpool fans with them probably shading it so you knew you would hear about the result for weeks to come. I seriously fucking hate everything about 1996.

It hurt also because united were there for the taking, they were only at about 60% on the day but that was more than enough. Jamie Redknapp had one shot from the edge of the area that he skied and I literally don’t think we had one other shot on goal all game, at our end there were a couple of decent saves from David James. I looked back at the build up to the goal, a bottled tackle in midfield and I remember Phil Babb needlessly conceding a throw in I think it was, I remember on the day when that happened I felt this awful feeling in my gut, something bad was about to happen.

Sure enough United had a corner not long after, David James came for it unconvincingly as he usually did, ball falls to Eric Cantona and leaning back he somehow hits it through about 8 players and it's in. United beat us without being near their best, the players on the day never looked up for it, I'm sure they cared but they were poor, no one performed near their best apart from 2 or 3 players maybe (I seem to recall John Scales, Mark Wright and David James did alright) but the rest just poor.

So there, I said more about the back round and build up than the game, because the game was utter shite, about the only shred of honesty I ever got from the shower I went to school with was that even the most biased united fans agreed it was an awful game.

So there you go, its hurts because
1. shit life
2. shit game
3. shit performance
4. we lost to them!
5. them that didn’t even play well!
6. we looked like we bottled it, against them for fucks sake, a team we should have been determined to wallop, it didn’t look that way at all.
7. And the fact that the team never won a thing for years and never reached its potential.

Fuck the suits, if they went out there naked or in jumpsuits nothing would have changed.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #215 on: March 16, 2016, 11:17:34 am »
I don't think the Chelsea game 2 years ago counts as it was still possible that we could win the league. The last 12 minutes at Palace were a lot more devastating as that really was it (almost).

The end of that Place game was shocking and unbelievable, but it probably never happens had we got the right result at Chelsea (ifs buts and maybes I guess). The fact remains that after that defeat we were playing catch-up. To use the Cup final analogy, we were trailing with 10 mins on the clock and got caught trying to chase the game.

The Chelsea game, in the grand scheme of things goes down as another 2-0 home defeat, but as we know it was the day our amazing title challenge was as good as lost. Without doubt the worst feeling I've ever had after a match.
So there you go, its hurts because
1. shit life
2. shit game
3. shit performance
4. we lost to them!
5. them that didn’t even play well!
6. we looked like we bottled it, against them for fucks sake, a team we should have been determined to wallop, it didn’t look that way at all.
7. And the fact that the team never won a thing for years and never reached its potential.

I definitely think that your personal experiences of the day and maybe the entire period shape the way you feel about the defeat and of course how things turned out for that side in later years. For example, that entire day we lost against Chelsea just summed everything up. I was at a family wedding which I couldn't get out of.

Picture the scene where most of the blokes there are massive reds (including the brother of the bride) and everyone trying to get onto Sky Go to watch. Reception wasn't the best but we got saw most of it. I missed the first goal and we were pissed. Then Sky go crashed and we couldn't see the 2nd half. Having to listen on radio and there was a sense of helplessness as the minutes ticked by. They finished it off in injury time and that was that. The happiest day in the lives of the bride & groom and I couldn't be more miserable.

To see that c*nt celebrating on the touchline in the highlights as if he had actually won the league, and knowing as well as we do that he basically sacrificed his own CL dreams just to stop us from winning means that I was extremely happy to see karma humiliate him this season.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #216 on: March 16, 2016, 11:46:22 am »
Couple of great posts above...it shows how important the game is beyond  the result itself,it can make or break your day/week, month or even your life for a while.

(Haha...still wouldn't be without it though, cos luckily as Reds the good times outweigh the bad times, if not I wouldn't have started this thread, as it would be too depressing!)

Edit...thinking about what I said above, maybe somebody should start a counter thread about which Cup Final win meant the most to them, again personal life experiences at the time of the game would normally play a part.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 12:08:22 pm by mikeb58 »

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: March 16, 2016, 12:13:47 pm »
Couple of great posts above...it shows how important the game is beyond  the result itself,it can make or break your day/week, month or even your life for a while.

(Haha...still wouldn't be without it though, cos luckily as Reds the good times outweigh the bad times, if not I wouldn't have started this thread, as it would be too depressing!)

Edit...thinking about what I said above, maybe somebody should start a counter thread about which Cup Final win meant the most to them, again personal life experiences at the time of the game would normally play a part.

everyone would just mention Istanbul to be fair. I'm sure there's been threads like that before

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #218 on: March 16, 2016, 12:32:15 pm »
Yeah probably right....though mine might be Newcastle 74, my first Final and we totally outclassed them (despite what 'Super Mac had promised to do to us all week!)

All in all the perfect day.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #219 on: March 16, 2016, 12:33:26 pm »
everyone would just mention Istanbul to be fair. I'm sure there's been threads like that before

Pretty much everyone under the age of 40 would say Istanbul (plus a great deal of those older)! Quite simply, it is the biggest trophy we have won post 1990 and for me it was something that I never expected to happen, especially not at the start of the season. For us to actually win it (not to mention the way it was won) was just something out of this world. For most of us, this was the first time we had had the feeling of being European Champions and I'm not sure I'll have the same feelings when we win it again (not if btw!).

In fact (coming back on topic), the only way I would've had the same feeling was 2014 - something we have been waiting for for so long and yet again in circumstances that weren't normal. But I guess fairy tales only happen once in a generation.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #220 on: March 16, 2016, 06:25:24 pm »
I thought the Chelsea game was the one? The goal difference meant even a 3-0 win at Palace wouldn't be enough (assuming City won their games in hand).

I could be wrong, because I've avoided ever going back there. But I'm sure it was the Chelsea game that killed it. Yes we threw away another 2 points against Palace....but I remember thinking it was already gone, even at 0-3. Have I got that wrong??

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #221 on: March 16, 2016, 07:49:12 pm »
I thought the Chelsea game was the one? The goal difference meant even a 3-0 win at Palace wouldn't be enough (assuming City won their games in hand).

I could be wrong, because I've avoided ever going back there. But I'm sure it was the Chelsea game that killed it. Yes we threw away another 2 points against Palace....but I remember thinking it was already gone, even at 0-3. Have I got that wrong??

We could still have won it after the Chelsea game. I'm not a stato, mind  ;)

When we went 3-0 at Palace, we kept on attacking, going for the jugular as we had all season. There were definitely a few minutes, before they got one back,  where I genuinely thought we'd get 6 or 7 that night. From memory, that would have sorted the goal difference and meant that as long as we beat Newcastle .........

Anyway, let's not torture ourselves any further  :'(

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: March 16, 2016, 08:00:17 pm »
Juve, Ajax, Bayern and Chelsea.

Here is a list of the players who won all three competitions as well:

Arnold Mühren
Gaetano Scirea
Antonio Cabrini
Marco Tardelli
Sergio Brio
Stefano Tacconi
Danny Blind
Gianluca Vialli
Vitor Baía
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 08:03:50 pm by Y2J »
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #223 on: March 16, 2016, 10:41:38 pm »
1977 FA Cup final was really painful we had already won the league and would go on to win the European Cup shortly later, but I really wanted that Treble as I knew we would probably never be in that position again. Also when you are young, it always seems a lot more painful.

The 2007 final too was hard to take having outplayed Milan, but I guess we couldn't complain too much after Istanbul.
Got to say that '77 felt bad at the time as this was the first FA Cup final I watched and really understood football and what was going on but winning the European cup straight afterwards took that away. Watching on the telly numbs things a little as well, hence that didn't hurt as much as '88 (my first final in person)
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #224 on: March 16, 2016, 10:51:22 pm »
1971..cried my fucking eyes out as a ten year old....How I hated Charlie George.....never got over it , until some thirty years later a group of fifty odd bemused Arsenal fans witnessed a delirious  Scouser leaning and  shouting out of a car window at them as we left Cardiff... "That's for fucking  Charlie George!!!"

Balance in my world was restored.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 10:53:01 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: March 16, 2016, 10:56:16 pm »
Cup final in 96 for me.  Obviously the fact that it was against utd and Cantona scored the winner rubbed salt in the wounds!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: March 17, 2016, 09:01:31 am »
Juve, Ajax, Bayern and Chelsea.

Here is a list of the players who won all three competitions as well:

Arnold Mühren
Gaetano Scirea
Antonio Cabrini
Marco Tardelli
Sergio Brio
Stefano Tacconi
Danny Blind
Gianluca Vialli
Vitor Baía
did Allan simonsen score in all 3 finals?

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #227 on: March 17, 2016, 05:33:16 pm »
Sao Paulo was a tough one to take. Club World Cup is the only trophy we've never won and we were robbed. This we had about 4 goals ruled out? Plus you have to win the champions league to be in it so I knew then the chance had gone.

Not a cup final but Chelsea 2 years ago. Still can't get over not winning the league that year and never will.

I remember Sao Paulo match, we battered them had 3 goals ruled out for offside, at least one of them was onside that was hard to take.
#Sausages

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #228 on: March 19, 2016, 10:55:26 am »
I remember Sao Paulo match, we battered them had 3 goals ruled out for offside, at least one of them was onside that was hard to take.

Don't remember much about those games, did we take them seriously, thought they where just money making ventures at the time and not much prestige attached to them.

Can't even remember what part of the season they where played in.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #229 on: March 19, 2016, 12:35:46 pm »
Don't remember much about those games, did we take them seriously, thought they where just money making ventures at the time and not much prestige attached to them.

Can't even remember what part of the season they where played in.

December, just before Christmas. Came in the middle of our 10 game run without conceding I think.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #230 on: March 19, 2016, 12:37:51 pm »
December, just before Christmas. Came in the middle of our 10 game run without conceding I think.

Ta...yes that game springs to mind now , wasn't too arsed about it though to be honest.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #231 on: March 19, 2016, 12:41:10 pm »
Ta...yes that game springs to mind now , wasn't too arsed about it though to be honest.

Always got the impression it mattered more to the South American clubs. Years later I worked for a company with a Brazilian office and when I mentioned I supported Liverpool they all brought this game up (in disgust...they were Corinthians fans!).

Offline Red_Potato

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Potato beats scissors
« Reply #232 on: March 19, 2016, 12:56:18 pm »
Wimbeldon 88 ..... my first final as a kid...... still makes me feel like shit thinking about it now !

Worst for me too. Disallowed goal, saved pen, defence v attack the whole game. Horrible final.
SOS member 7832

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #233 on: March 19, 2016, 02:53:46 pm »
Always got the impression it mattered more to the South American clubs. Years later I worked for a company with a Brazilian office and when I mentioned I supported Liverpool they all brought this game up (in disgust...they were Corinthians fans!).

It certainly did. I once played in a team with a Brazilian centre forward called Mario (who took and scored pens with the outside of his boot!). The first thing Mario said to me when he learnt I was a Pool fan was...."Flamengo!" He must have been very disappointed with my reaction, which was nonplussed. I honestly thought he was talking about the national dance of Spain. Then he explained to me that the greatest moment in the history of his club, Flamengo FC, was when they defeated Liverpool for the world club championship in Tokyo. "I thought that was a friendly" I said. And I was right.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #234 on: May 21, 2016, 11:16:20 am »
Well 50 years later I think my original choice of the 1966 Dortmund defeat has been toppled by Wednesday's loss.

45 minutes from glory and we messed up in a way not befitting for this great club.

Still absolutely gutted,could have been the start of a new era with CL footy next season, now it feels like a huge step backwards.

It's a long time since football affected me  this way, win or lose, thought I was at the stage it didn't matter too much anymore, but this was a hard night to stomach.

Now a long wait to hopefully put things right again.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #235 on: May 21, 2016, 11:19:02 am »
Worst for me too. Disallowed goal, saved pen, defence v attack the whole game. Horrible final.

Cried my eyes out that day me. Horrible final. Got some pure stick at school for it as well. Weeks of it.

Offline Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: May 21, 2016, 11:22:03 am »
Still that Cantona goal. Wednesday was bad, but nowhere near the level of pain that was inflicted in 96.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: May 21, 2016, 11:24:07 am »
Wednesday night is right up as one of the worst for me. All that effort and big games at Anfield to get there and we put in a performance like that. Horrible, just horrible. In my memory I don't think I've ever seen a Liverpool side perform as badly in the second half of a final as they did the other night. The 1996 FA Cup Final was rotten. But then, both teams performed equally badly that day. It was just a shit game full stop. I've not see anything close to that capitulation in the Europa league final though.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: May 21, 2016, 11:24:43 am »
Athens. Worst match in football to lose
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: May 21, 2016, 11:28:10 am »
Athens. Worst match in football to lose

You know, that was horrible to lose, but I took pride in the way we played that night. We were the better side. AC milan just got their revenge.