Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 865093 times)

Online huytonbad

• Main Stander
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #7560 on: June 10, 2018, 05:40:16 pm »
it's a boss phone mate I'm made up with it, hope you find a good deal

Well went for it, got it direct and supplied on Amazon UK for £312 and  a 5% discount through a cash back partner scheme we have in work so came out at £297 delivered Thursday. Nice one everyone for the advice and let yes know how it goes, hope she likes it ha
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 06:15:13 pm by huytonbad »

Offline ArthurDooley82

• Box-clever, non-pink, manly man's man. Contact for more details. No bibs! Grrrr :)
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7561 on: June 10, 2018, 08:20:15 pm »
Well went for it, got it direct and supplied on Amazon UK for £312 and  a 5% discount through a cash back partner scheme we have in work so came out at £297 delivered Thursday. Nice one everyone for the advice and let yes know how it goes, hope she likes it ha
haha is right mate  :thumbup

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #7562 on: June 16, 2018, 08:55:16 am »
Looking for a good android with a good battery - budget at around £300-£350

Not fussed about the camera - main use will be sat nav apps etc
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:12:06 am by scouser4eva »

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7563 on: June 17, 2018, 07:56:33 am »
Looking for a good android with a good battery - budget at around £300-£350

Not fussed about the camera - main use will be sat nav apps etc

Nokia 7 plus is perfect. Great battery, clean software and a good large display. Gps works great as it has s Qualcomm SD 660 processor.
Phuk yoo

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7564 on: June 17, 2018, 12:43:07 pm »
Right, looking to make the plunge and get the g6. Still under contract with EE for two months but I’m willing to pay that off as I don’t want the g6 to go out of stock anywhere! I’ve found a pretty good deal with buymobiles.net but am skeptical, anyone used them before for a contract? I have thought about getting it outright however this deal is just as good over the 24 month period to be honest.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7565 on: June 18, 2018, 09:40:40 am »
Ended up being offered the s9 and my early upgrade fee waived by EE so I've gone with that. I was all for the g6 as it looks a great phone at a great price but the s9 was offered for less than a tenner more than the deal I was getting for the g6 through a reseller. Figured it was a newer phone and samsung are pretty decent!

Is it any good though? ;D Not really seen any reviews which have praised it but there seems to be a lot of hate/negativity? It seems this comes through the phone not being a huge upgrade from the s8 and the fact the standards are so high.

Also doesn't seem to be any talk of it in this thread which is making me start to think I may have made the wrong decision!
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7566 on: June 18, 2018, 12:06:26 pm »
Got the sim free S9 a week ago and loving it so far. Despite the small battery, it lasts decently long with 2 days of light use (browsing, whatsapp, uber and the odd random photo). I had read reports online indicating a possible battery longevity issue with the S9 exynos model, so I was a little concerned before the purchase. So far so good!  Having said that, I do not use battery hogs like snapchat, facebook and pinterest (linkedin is the only social app i use) so your mileage may vary.

The SOC is state of the art with nothing faster out there. Camera is top notch with insane low light performance. Was shocked at how much detail this thing is able to capture in the faintest of lighting conditions.

One thing i still havent gotten used to is the narrow 18:9 screen, which in my opinion is a poor alternative to a 16:9 or even a 4:3 in most use cases. Websites are harder to browse in potrait mode due to less horizontal space for text and pictures.  I do a lot of reading on my phone, so still trying to get used to a narrower phone with less screen estate at the same diagonal length.  Good for one handed use though.

Overall really happy with the phone.

Phuk yoo

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7567 on: June 18, 2018, 12:20:06 pm »
Aye saw that, I guess if you're happy, I should be! ;D

gets here tonight. any recommendation for a screen protector/case?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7568 on: June 18, 2018, 12:36:58 pm »
I personally dont use a protector although i should! I use the OEM silicone case which covers the back.

I would recommend a protector through as this phone picks up microscratches from dust/grit etc.  Loving the phone though.  Camera is the best one I have used so far.

Which version are you getting? Exynos or Snapdragon?
Phuk yoo

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7569 on: June 18, 2018, 12:42:07 pm »
The exynos model mate.

yeah deffo getting a protector and some insurance as well!

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7570 on: June 20, 2018, 01:56:34 pm »
Got the Huawei Pro 20 yesterday on a deal through EE and I have to say, what a bloody phone this is!

6.1 inch screen, 4000mh battery so it lasts for ages (charged it to 100% before I set it up and it lasted 12 hours of set-up and constant use with 40% left), camera is the best you can get on a mobile and it runs really fast. Taking some time to get used to the UI but it's alright so far

Cannot recommend highly enough!

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7571 on: June 20, 2018, 02:23:42 pm »
Got the Huawei Pro 20 yesterday on a deal through EE and I have to say, what a bloody phone this is!

6.1 inch screen, 4000mh battery so it lasts for ages (charged it to 100% before I set it up and it lasted 12 hours of set-up and constant use with 40% left), camera is the best you can get on a mobile and it runs really fast. Taking some time to get used to the UI but it's alright so far

I second this. Got the phone a couple of weeks ago coming from the S8. The battery easily lasts me from 6am until 11pm with significant internet usage and streaming. The camera is incredible for a phone too.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7572 on: June 21, 2018, 03:17:58 am »
get insurance, don't be a fool like I was, cracked my screen two weeks after i got it, and the repairs cost $300

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #7573 on: June 25, 2018, 01:59:41 pm »
get insurance, don't be a fool like I was, cracked my screen two weeks after i got it, and the repairs cost $300

Did you have a case on it when it happened?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #7574 on: June 25, 2018, 03:13:51 pm »
A solid case (none of these see through silicone condom type cases) and a tempered glass screen protector are my number one purchases before my phone even leave the box.

Never ever had a screen crack on me. Lost plenty of screen protectors but never had to sort out a cracked screen.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #7575 on: June 26, 2018, 11:25:20 am »
A solid case (none of these see through silicone condom type cases) and a tempered glass screen protector are my number one purchases before my phone even leave the box.

Never ever had a screen crack on me. Lost plenty of screen protectors but never had to sort out a cracked screen.

Yeah I always have a case on my phone and have never cracked a screen, would have if I didn't though. Obliq cases are really good on Amazon.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7576 on: June 26, 2018, 04:16:05 pm »
Anyone used mobilephonesdirect before? Won't accept either my debit or credit card as apparently the address details on them don't match my bank account? Can't get through to their customer service (yet) either. They seem to have by far the best deals around, I'd be paying less monthly for 50gb data than my current 2gb data tariff
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7577 on: June 26, 2018, 04:23:47 pm »
Anyone used mobilephonesdirect before? Won't accept either my debit or credit card as apparently the address details on them don't match my bank account? Can't get through to their customer service (yet) either. They seem to have by far the best deals around, I'd be paying less monthly for 50gb data than my current 2gb data tariff
Got my current phone off them and so did hubby neither of us have had any problems with them.  Both orders went through fine and were delivered on time.

Would defo use them again.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #7578 on: July 24, 2018, 02:02:07 pm »
I have had an iPhone since the very first model. The contract on my iPhone 6S ended last April and I was due an upgrade but I never bothered as the phone was in good condition. I dropped down to a £20pm EE SIM only deal.

I'm now at the stage where I feel like I want a new phone. Having spent over a year paying only £20pm, the thought of paying £45-£65pm now for a phone turns my stomach a bit. The new iPhones are really expensive on contracts.

Spent a few days looking into new models but after a bit searching I tell myself I don't need a new phone. I think it's laziness and the unknown. I've been with Apple for 11 years now. I'm trying to work out now why I am clinging onto them. In the past I knew it was because I had a MacBook, iPad, iCloud etc and everthing just seemed so much simpler. I don't use my Mac much anymore and recently wiped my iPad to set it up as a standalone device separate from my iPhone and MacBook.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7579 on: July 24, 2018, 04:36:59 pm »

Can I ask what deal you got?

Currently looking at this phone. o2 are offering £33pm - 15GB data, unlimited minutes and texts and a host of extras. With free earbuds. Vodafone are offering 20GB of data, unlimited minutes and tests and the earbuds.

I am with EE but my contract runs until October.

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7580 on: July 25, 2018, 10:30:49 am »
Can I ask what deal you got?

Currently looking at this phone. o2 are offering £33pm - 15GB data, unlimited minutes and texts and a host of extras. With free earbuds. Vodafone are offering 20GB of data, unlimited minutes and tests and the earbuds.

I am with EE but my contract runs until October.

I'm on EE and this is what I got

Huawei P20 Pro Black   
EE Essential Plan 10GB £33 (24mths)
Unlimited Minutes
Unlimited Texts
30GB Data   
£33 a month   

Plan Extras   
6 months of free Apple Music   
BT Sport free for 3 months   
Use allowance in EU   
Data speeds up to 60Mbps   
Tethering   
WiFi on London Underground   
Data caps   
Includes 20GB Extra Data   

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7581 on: July 26, 2018, 09:33:31 am »
I'm on EE and this is what I got

Huawei P20 Pro Black   
EE Essential Plan 10GB £33 (24mths)
Unlimited Minutes
Unlimited Texts
30GB Data   
£33 a month   

Plan Extras   
6 months of free Apple Music   
BT Sport free for 3 months   
Use allowance in EU   
Data speeds up to 60Mbps   
Tethering   
WiFi on London Underground   
Data caps   
Includes 20GB Extra Data   

Thanks for that! Did you have to pay for the handset?

How are you finding the phone itself?

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7582 on: July 26, 2018, 09:51:27 am »
Thanks for that! Did you have to pay for the handset?

How are you finding the phone itself?

There was no upfront cost for the phone.

I really like it. The camera is incredible for a phone and the battery is really good. Now I can get through morning - night without having to charge it. I've
came from am S8 and prefer it much more. Th onely thing with EE is that they are way behind in terms of the software updates

Offline my name canged back to tucker?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7583 on: July 29, 2018, 12:55:13 am »
possibly a silly question but i'll ask anyway, my S7 Edge has shit itself and i was going to buy an LG G6, can i just swap my sim over and it'll work fine on my normal contract?

im stuck in a contract till next april and its costing about £260 to buy out, was thinking of getting a sim only deal at that time, not sure what the best route to take is, any advice is appreciarted.

edit: bought a second hand LG G6 for £180 quid, im sure it'll do the job till April and can decide whether to stick or twist at that stage
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:43:35 pm by tucker1984 »

Offline The Highway Man

• Kemlynite
    • Online Exiles
« Reply #7584 on: August 1, 2018, 03:42:52 am »
I'm another Huawei convert, had my P10 since December, love it, best phone I've ever owned. ;)

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7585 on: August 1, 2018, 11:38:38 am »
I'm another Huawei convert, had my P10 since December, love it, best phone I've ever owned. ;)

Bought an Honor View 10 phone, which is made by Huawei and has all the same software.

Fast as shit and the battery is brilliant.  Very very powerful phone.

Huawei and their brands are definitely one to look at these days.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7586 on: August 1, 2018, 11:48:27 am »
Is there anywhere that does deals remotely as good as mobilephonesdirect? They won't accept my debit or credit card. Take my money!!!!

Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7587 on: August 1, 2018, 01:04:12 pm »
Huawei are now the second largest smartphone manufacturer in the world, according to IDC.  Have to agree, they make some great hardware with real innovations as opposed to ripping off apple and their follies.  Do not like their non usage of the 3.5 mm port though, a very applesque decision that does not make any sense at all.

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_surpasses_apple_in_q2_in_number_of_units_shipped-news-32534.php

Just a word of warning for software tinkerers wrt to Huawei phones. They come with locked bootloaders now, which means no/very hard to root and install custom ROMs.

Ignore if you have no idea what root access or custom ROM means!. Not relevant for you.
Phuk yoo

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7588 on: August 4, 2018, 05:39:53 pm »
It's good to see Apple bumped down to third. They make approximately 400 dollars on every handset. That's just mental and should set alarm bells ringing why on earth your paying a premium for a phone which offers nothing over its competitors.
« Last Edit: August 4, 2018, 05:46:25 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7589 on: August 6, 2018, 03:42:00 pm »
Anyone ever used an Alcatel?

Thinking of getting the Alcatel 3V which seems to do everything my (on its last legs) iPhone 6 can.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7590 on: August 6, 2018, 03:48:19 pm »
Anyone ever used an Alcatel?

Thinking of getting the Alcatel 3V which seems to do everything my (on its last legs) iPhone 6 can.

I was given one for work. Don't think it was the 3V as this was about 12 months ago. It's back in the box in my drawer. I only turned it on and messed about with it for half hour. Lasting impression was cheap, plastic and slow. It feels like a toy phone. They probably use crap parts (no evidence to back this up) so expect the phone to be junk after 12 months.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7591 on: August 6, 2018, 05:32:08 pm »
I was given one for work. Don't think it was the 3V as this was about 12 months ago. It's back in the box in my drawer. I only turned it on and messed about with it for half hour. Lasting impression was cheap, plastic and slow. It feels like a toy phone. They probably use crap parts (no evidence to back this up) so expect the phone to be junk after 12 months.
Thanks for the heads up! Theres nothing decent at all similar to the iphone 6 around the £100 mark. Might have to just buy another iphone 6!

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #7592 on: August 8, 2018, 12:17:01 am »
Was mulling over buying a new phone for quite a while. Had a Samsung S7 Edge and I wanted to upgrade to the S9 plus. However I couldn't justify paying the money for a new one. So I looked into cheaper alternatives, mostly the Chinese Market.

Ended up buying a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 and I can honestly say it's the best value for money I've gotten in years. 200 euro delivered. Great screen, very good camera. Good specs that match any of the flagships and the battery is the best I've seen on a phone yet. You could squeeze two days out of it. The UI is brilliant too, far better than stock android IMO. All in all its incredible for just 200 euro. Anyway, just a recommendation for those not looking to take out a mortgage on a phone.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7593 on: August 8, 2018, 09:37:11 am »
Was mulling over buying a new phone for quite a while. Had a Samsung S7 Edge and I wanted to upgrade to the S9 plus. However I couldn't justify paying the money for a new one. So I looked into cheaper alternatives, mostly the Chinese Market.

Ended up buying a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 and I can honestly say it's the best value for money I've gotten in years. 200 euro delivered. Great screen, very good camera. Good specs that match any of the flagships and the battery is the best I've seen on a phone yet. You could squeeze two days out of it. The UI is brilliant too, far better than stock android IMO. All in all its incredible for just 200 euro. Anyway, just a recommendation for those not looking to take out a mortgage on a phone.

thanks for this. definitely going to look into this

account down to bare bones right now, bad month for bills last month but after holidays i will be looking into a new phone
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #7594 on: August 8, 2018, 09:43:41 am »
thanks for this. definitely going to look into this

account down to bare bones right now, bad month for bills last month but after holidays i will be looking into a new phone
I couldn't recommend it more mate. Just make sure you buy the correct version. It's the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Global Version you want. Honorbuy is the site I got it off and the delivery is first class.

Really, really impressed with it and I'd be particular enough.

“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #7595 on: August 8, 2018, 12:30:36 pm »
Got a Lenovo P2, had it for around 15 months. Overall has been a great phone, but Lenovo (or 3) aren't supporting it any more with Android updates (still on Marshmallow) & the humungous battery life is slowly deteriorating. Does anyone have any recommendations for a similar phone in a similar price point, around £200-£250. Battery life important but just use it for general internet, streaming some music & watching Liverpool on the move.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #7596 on: August 8, 2018, 01:14:55 pm »
Got a Lenovo P2, had it for around 15 months. Overall has been a great phone, but Lenovo (or 3) aren't supporting it any more with Android updates (still on Marshmallow) & the humungous battery life is slowly deteriorating. Does anyone have any recommendations for a similar phone in a similar price point, around £200-£250. Battery life important but just use it for general internet, streaming some music & watching Liverpool on the move.

Literally 3 posts above.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7597 on: August 8, 2018, 03:37:32 pm »
I couldn't recommend it more mate. Just make sure you buy the correct version. It's the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Global Version you want. Honorbuy is the site I got it off and the delivery is first class.

Really, really impressed with it and I'd be particular enough.

thanks

this one>? https://www.honorbuy.com/1385-xiaomi-redmi-note-5-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #7598 on: August 8, 2018, 03:41:27 pm »
thanks

this one>? https://www.honorbuy.com/1385-xiaomi-redmi-note-5-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html
Yeah that's the one. I ordered mine on a Sunday and had it on Tuesday. Get yourself a cover off Amazon or Ebay and your sorted. This is the one I got, comes with a screen protector and I find it very good.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Case,2ndSpring Redmi Note 5 Pro Cover Ultra-thin 3in1 360 Degrees Full Body Plastic Hard Case Skin Shockproof Shell with Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Protective Rubber Light Gel Tough Case Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C156228/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0dWABbA8D6314

Comes with a Chinese plug but if you have a Samsung I'd use the charger from that. That's what I do and it charges reasonably quick.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7599 on: August 8, 2018, 03:57:03 pm »
Yeah that's the one. I ordered mine on a Sunday and had it on Tuesday. Get yourself a cover off Amazon or Ebay and your sorted. This is the one I got, comes with a screen protector and I find it very good.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Case,2ndSpring Redmi Note 5 Pro Cover Ultra-thin 3in1 360 Degrees Full Body Plastic Hard Case Skin Shockproof Shell with Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Protective Rubber Light Gel Tough Case Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C156228/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0dWABbA8D6314

Comes with a Chinese plug but if you have a Samsung I'd use the charger from that. That's what I do and it charges reasonably quick.
nice one. at least this post is here now. so i can buy it after holiday, cant afford it right now.

might be a new samsung charger for it anyway.

phone i have now takes ages to charge and isnt holding charge well anymore (oneplus one, have it 3.5 years)