Author Topic: Space Force on Netflix  (Read 2032 times)

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
Space Force on Netflix
« on: June 1, 2020, 05:27:51 pm »
3 Episodes in and I like it so far.

The resemblances to current members of the congress as well as the subtle references to the administration is uncanny.

Anyone watching it?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Space Force on Netflix
« Reply #1 on: June 1, 2020, 05:48:58 pm »
First episode was really mediocre so I gave up, does it get any better?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: June 1, 2020, 05:51:13 pm »
Started it last night and the first 15 minutes were really slow going. I will probably give it more time because I love Carell, but must improve.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #3 on: June 1, 2020, 05:51:26 pm »
The second episode was worse, so I gave up.
AHA!

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #4 on: June 1, 2020, 06:14:52 pm »
Thought it blasted through far too fast and not that funny. Did I miss something with his wife being in prison suddenly?

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #5 on: June 1, 2020, 06:16:28 pm »
I think the first 4-5 episodes are bound to be mediocre as the characters are still syncing and it will probably improve after that and the forthcoming seasons.

But the classic "Steve Carrell" is not yet seen if that's what you mean by mediocre.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #6 on: June 1, 2020, 06:19:23 pm »
I'm enjoying it, it's stupid as fuck but some parts are funny.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 1, 2020, 06:22:18 pm »
Watched the first episode and thought it was decent.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 1, 2020, 06:37:06 pm »
Thought it blasted through far too fast and not that funny. Did I miss something with his wife being in prison suddenly?

I thought that was just me who missed that. I'd had a few last night. It went from me thinking Phoebe looks old to her saying she will be inside for a long time.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #9 on: June 1, 2020, 06:58:49 pm »
Looked it up aboot Pheobe and seems everyone thought exactly the same.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #10 on: June 1, 2020, 08:28:07 pm »
It was after 6 months right?

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #11 on: June 4, 2020, 11:10:25 am »
I saw a review that calls it a ‘work place comedy’. 

Which is exactly what it is. The Office or Parks and Rec just with a much bigger budget.

If you have low expectations I think it’s alright.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #12 on: June 4, 2020, 11:58:06 pm »
Saw episode one. Not sure I'll bother now that the next few are worse than that.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 5, 2020, 12:17:53 am »
Malkovich the only highlight. There’s some funny moments. But it feels like they rushed it out to capitalise on Trump’s absurd decision that could well be reversed if he loses the presidency in Nov.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #14 on: June 5, 2020, 04:18:07 am »
Someone made the astute observation that seasons 1 + 2 of the US Office and Parks and Rec were both subpar compared to the rest. Both were by Greg Daniels, like Space Force.

So I intend on not watching it and waiting for season 2, if it gets renewed. If it gets better then, we might be onto a gem.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #15 on: June 5, 2020, 11:53:47 am »
Someone made the astute observation that seasons 1 + 2 of the US Office and Parks and Rec were both subpar compared to the rest. Both were by Greg Daniels, like Space Force.

So I intend on not watching it and waiting for season 2, if it gets renewed. If it gets better then, we might be onto a gem.

Yeah this is why I'm holding off. I want to see if it has legs like his other shows, at the moment this sounds exactly as good as "lol Trump said something stupid let's make a sitcom out of it" would be

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #16 on: June 5, 2020, 12:13:06 pm »
I agree about the season 1 syndrome of the series created by Greg Daniels, Season 1 of US Office and Parks & Rec were subpar. By season 2, the upward trajectory of the quality was already seen and was cemented in season 3 onwards.

The character of Steve Carrell, in some parts, as a rigid-structured no nonsense chief, could be toned down a little bit. Some of his facial expressions when he expresses them, kinda spoils the premise of the story/scene. The character of Ben Schwartz as that tech savvy advisor and that of the guy at the reception, have a lot of potential to stamp their mark.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 5, 2020, 12:54:26 pm »
Jean Ralphio is in it?! I'll have to give it a watch.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 5, 2020, 06:32:45 pm »
Gave it a shot through 4 episodes. Had high hopes because of Carell and Greg Daniels partnering up again and the deep supporting cast.

Was incredibly disappointed, felt weak and cheap despite the obviously massive budget.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline jamie_c

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 6, 2020, 10:06:01 pm »
I agree about the season 1 syndrome of the series created by Greg Daniels, Season 1 of US Office and Parks & Rec were subpar. By season 2, the upward trajectory of the quality was already seen and was cemented in season 3 onwards.

The character of Steve Carrell, in some parts, as a rigid-structured no nonsense chief, could be toned down a little bit. Some of his facial expressions when he expresses them, kinda spoils the premise of the story/scene. The character of Ben Schwartz as that tech savvy advisor and that of the guy at the reception, have a lot of potential to stamp their mark.

Think that's a bit of a myth on the office.  First episode is a bad remake but the other 5 are all good.

As far as space force go's  I'm 3  in and it's decent with potential.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #20 on: June 8, 2020, 11:00:11 am »
1 1/2 episodes and I gave up.

When's the joke?

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #21 on: June 8, 2020, 11:00:55 am »
1 1/2 episodes and I gave up.

When's the joke?

Same. Wasn't even good back ground watching
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 8, 2020, 11:24:42 am »
Nothing in it so far that you'd hope for a second season.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #23 on: June 9, 2020, 12:13:02 pm »
Watched most of the first episode and was incredibly bored. As mentioned above, wasn't even decent background watching. When was the funny shit meant to start?

A show with cast as amazing as this should never be this unfunny - I mean, Patrick Warburton is in it. He made us all laugh just by squinting on Seinfeld!
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 9, 2020, 02:21:32 pm »
I saw a review that calls it a ‘work place comedy’. 

Which is exactly what it is. The Office or Parks and Rec just with a much bigger budget.

If you have low expectations I think it’s alright.

Those were my expectations. I even expected a slow start like both of those.

I watched 3 episodes and didn’t crack a smile. Great cast. Shocking script. Fancy-pants shooting style doesn’t suit the genre. It’s a total mess.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #25 on: June 9, 2020, 04:21:15 pm »
fallen asleep every time the missus has put it on...
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #26 on: June 9, 2020, 11:31:02 pm »
https://www.cbr.com/us-military-lose-space-force-trademark-netflix/

US Military Could Lose Space Force Trademark to Netflix Series

The United States announced its Space Force first, but Netflix's streaming series was first to launch, meaning it might win a trademark war.

The United States Space Force was only announced two years ago and has yet to engage in any military operations, but the latest branch of the U.S. armed forces already stands to lose its first battle -- to Netflix's Space Force.

The streaming service premiered its new sci-fi/comedy series Space Force on May 29. The show's name has no relation to the newest organization of the U.S. military, which unveiled its official flag only two weeks earlier. Because of the common moniker, though, the United States Space Force's first battle might be a trademark war -- fought in court, rather than in space.

Attorneys for the U.S. military have done little to secure the Space Force name as a registered trademark. Netflix, however, has been far more aggressive, and has already locked down the rights to the name in several countries.

Despite sharing a name, both entities have plenty of room to maneuver without evoking much confusion. The streaming comedy, with its political jabs at the current presidential administration, is unlikely to make its viewers think they're watching a series about an actual branch of the U.S. military. The fledgling U.S. Space Force, meanwhile, has yet to even get off the ground -- both literally and figuratively.

While Netflix's effort was the first to come to fruition, the U.S. Space Force was first announced by President Donald Trump in March 2018. The military branch was officially established as a formal organization last December. Netflix, meanwhile, greenlit the 10-episode series in January 2019.

Created by Greg Daniel and Steve Carell, Space Force stars Carell, John Malkovich, Ben Schwartz, Diana Silvers and Tawny Newsome. Season 1 is currently available on Netflix.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2020, 11:09:59 am »
https://www.cbr.com/us-military-lose-space-force-trademark-netflix/

US Military Could Lose Space Force Trademark to Netflix Series

The United States announced its Space Force first, but Netflix's streaming series was first to launch, meaning it might win a trademark war.

The United States Space Force was only announced two years ago and has yet to engage in any military operations, but the latest branch of the U.S. armed forces already stands to lose its first battle -- to Netflix's Space Force.

The streaming service premiered its new sci-fi/comedy series Space Force on May 29. The show's name has no relation to the newest organization of the U.S. military, which unveiled its official flag only two weeks earlier. Because of the common moniker, though, the United States Space Force's first battle might be a trademark war -- fought in court, rather than in space.

Attorneys for the U.S. military have done little to secure the Space Force name as a registered trademark. Netflix, however, has been far more aggressive, and has already locked down the rights to the name in several countries.

Despite sharing a name, both entities have plenty of room to maneuver without evoking much confusion. The streaming comedy, with its political jabs at the current presidential administration, is unlikely to make its viewers think they're watching a series about an actual branch of the U.S. military. The fledgling U.S. Space Force, meanwhile, has yet to even get off the ground -- both literally and figuratively.

While Netflix's effort was the first to come to fruition, the U.S. Space Force was first announced by President Donald Trump in March 2018. The military branch was officially established as a formal organization last December. Netflix, meanwhile, greenlit the 10-episode series in January 2019.

Created by Greg Daniel and Steve Carell, Space Force stars Carell, John Malkovich, Ben Schwartz, Diana Silvers and Tawny Newsome. Season 1 is currently available on Netflix.
Well the show finally managed to give us a laugh.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 9, 2020, 08:50:08 pm »
I’m up to Ep 8 and it’s torture. I’m only watching it because I’m invested, and because S1 of Parks and Rec was also awful.

I don’t understand how they could have messed this up so badly.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 9, 2020, 09:08:23 pm »
It's so bad that I totally forgot about it after watching 3 episodes.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #30 on: July 9, 2020, 09:37:17 pm »
I met someone the other day who told me they love this show. I seriously worried for their sanity. I can usually watch any old shite, but this show is way beyond even that. Torture is the perfect word. It's unbelievably bad. How did no-one notice? Perhaps a case of no-one daring to question the cast and writers.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.