Author Topic: Harry Wilson to get his chance (at Bournemouth!)  (Read 81173 times)

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Harry Wilson to get his chance (at Bournemouth!)
« on: June 16, 2019, 01:55:15 pm »
Interesting article here suggesting Klopp will give Wilson a chance rather than make a big money signing:

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp might have already found the answer to his biggest transfer dilemma

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-transfer-latest-16435806
« Last Edit: August 6, 2019, 06:29:43 pm by rebel23 »

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Harry Wilson to get his chance
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 02:03:03 pm »
Never heard of Theo Squires.

If a good offer is on the table this month I don't think we'd delay the transfer just so Wilson can play a few friendlies.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 02:05:38 pm »
Never heard of Theo Squires.

If a good offer is on the table this month I don't think we'd delay the transfer just so Wilson can play a few friendlies.

Don't forget that Salah and Mane are playing in the African cup of nations and will need an extended break so we need cover. I think that's when Wilson will get his chance.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 02:13:34 pm »
Interesting article here suggesting Klopp will give Wilson a chance rather than make a big money signing:

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp might have already found the answer to his biggest transfer dilemma

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-transfer-latest-16435806

Makes sense.

He had a great season in the Championship and deserves his chance.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 02:15:28 pm »
Makes sense.

The article points out that he can play across the front 3 and played as a false 9 in the U21's so he can play a variety of positions and it makes sense to hang on to him especially with Salah, Mane and Firmino returning late from international football. 

Whether he can make the step up or not remains to be seen.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 10:48:03 pm »
Makes sense.

I’ve seen some rawk members, who have watched him at Derby this season, write that his free-kicks and goals from outside the box have exaggerated his abilities. I haven’t seen anything of him other than  highlights of his goals, so I couldn’t comment whether that’s a legit analysis or not.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 11:02:51 pm »
This is the bit where Danny Ward shouts “Its a lie”.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 11:04:57 pm »
Nothing better than a youth player coming good at Liverpool. Whether that'll be the case with Wilson is another matter.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 11:05:52 pm »
I’ve seen some rawk members, who have watched him at Derby this season, write that his free-kicks and goals from outside the box have exaggerated his abilities. I haven’t seen anything of him other than  highlights of his goals, so I couldn’t comment whether that’s a legit analysis or not.

well only seen three full games live at Derby and he stood out against some seasoned professionals in a fairly tough league.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 11:28:28 pm »
well only seen three full games live at Derby and he stood out against some seasoned professionals in a fairly tough league.

Good to hear. I’m rooting for him anyway. Especially as he’s welsh.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 11:38:42 pm »
It will be interesting to see how he does if he does stay. However, it will be massive step up to play in the first team at Liverpool in the coming season.

We are a team that wants to win the PL and CL and have a very realistic chance of doing so, he needs to be able to come in and make match winning contributions. Despite his success in the championship I think thats a big ask. His loan spells over the last 18 months may have been better spent at a mid to lower PL club.

Not every young talent is going to make here, some will have to move to get the playing time and develop further in order to reach their potential.

I mean could Conor Coady have made it at Liverpool if he came through with less quality in front of him? Would a young Raheem Sterling get the opportunities he got in the current Liverpool team?

Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 11:40:03 pm »
Good to hear. I’m rooting for him anyway. Especially as he’s welsh.

Well yes i like that as well.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 11:41:11 pm »
Lol sub headline: please someone give us 25 million

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 11:45:50 pm »
It will be interesting to see how he does if he does stay. However, it will be massive step up to play in the first team at Liverpool in the coming season.

We are a team that wants to win the PL and CL and have a very realistic chance of doing so, he needs to be able to come in and make match winning contributions. Despite his success in the championship I think thats a big ask. His loan spells over the last 18 months may have been better spent at a mid to lower PL club.

Not every young talent is going to make here, some will have to move to get the playing time and develop further in order to reach their potential.

I mean could Conor Coady have made it at Liverpool if he came through with less quality in front of him? Would a young Raheem Sterling get the opportunities he got in the current Liverpool team?     

Sterling would have made it in any era. English, quick, great close control, hard working, relatively good decision making. McManaman with more goals.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 11:48:00 pm »

We have a wing back who isnt doing too bad coming up within the club, should we have loaned him out ?

As you say not every good yung un will make it, but we need to give them the chance to show us one way or the other and of course trust to Klopp's judgement he sees more of them in training etc.

For me Wilson has earned his chance this season.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 12:00:45 am »
This is the bit where Danny Ward shouts “Its a lie”.

Thats really quite funny  ;D

only really seen him play, outside of his highlights, in preseason last year when he scored a goal in a game but i was personally dissatisfied with every other aspect of his game, far too slow and more or less anonymous. But knowing he was young and not considered ready also.

That freaking belter against the Mancs has moved him way up in my estimation but nonetheless think i would like to see him play a few games and see what he has.

Or maybe it is the Danny Ward thing, just give us the quite reasonable 25 mill and we will reluctantly oh so sadly let him go.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 12:02:16 am »
Makes perfect sense.

Wilson was one of the best players in the Championship and with us having so many games next season we need to see who needs to stay with the squad this time around. Brookes and Maddison both left Championship clubs before the start of last season and I would say Brookes in now worth 45m and Maddison 50/60m. We would be foolish to sell Wilson now for 25m and we're better of A) keeping him for a season B) loaning him out to a PL club after getting him to sign a new contract.

Glad he will get his chance.

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 12:07:21 am »
Sterling would have made it in any era. English, quick, great close control, hard working, relatively good decision making. McManaman with more goals.

The point I was trying to make is that young players are going to find it difficult to break into this current Liverpool team given it's quality.

I wouldn't take the current Sterling ahead of any of our front three, he would be a great option of the bench though. City often bring Sane off the bench, we need to try and attain close to that quality to deputise for our front three whether Wilson can be that man remains to be seen.     

Tammy Abraham didn't pull up any trees at Swansea in the PL but has looked decent at Aston Villa in Championship.

I mean I am not opposed to giving players like Wilson a chance but he certainly will not be given 10 starts to learn on the job, he'll have to pretty much hit the ground running form the off if he's to make here. And thats a tough ask. 

Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 12:15:03 am »

That's how I see it too.  I like Wilson, he's got a wand of a left foot but while he's not slow, he's nowhere near the speed of Mane or Salah and I don't think he's anywhere near their workrate either.  Expecting to see him at another PL club before the end of the window after some decent showings in the friendlies.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 12:21:51 am »
Back up left back....you heard it here first
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 12:36:26 am »

Hardly considering a number of clubs would snap our hands off if we made it known he was for sale.

When he played well Derby did & that is the best compliment you can give him,in our side without the pressure of being the only player with decent vision (imo) he could surprise a lot of you.

It's now of never for the lad though.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 12:57:05 am »
Would be disappointing if he's the solution to our problems. Give him the chance if need be, but I honestly believe we need to get better than that.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 01:17:09 am »
Would be disappointing if he's the solution to our problems. Give him the chance if need be, but I honestly believe we need to get better than that.

That is just a plain bonkers post,if he is the solution then he is good enough,no ? 

Me personally would take greater pleasure in Harry stepping up and pushing on than I would a £50m+ signing,I love it when our lads come through the system.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2019, 01:49:00 am »
That is just a plain bonkers post,if he is the solution then he is good enough,no ? 

Me personally would take greater pleasure in Harry stepping up and pushing on than I would a £50m+ signing,I love it when our lads come through the system.

Poor choice of words on my part perhaps I should have elaborated more. Of course I'd love for him to be a top player and develop under us, just as much as you would. But in terms of right now,whether or not he has the ability to do so at this very moment, it would be disappointing if he's first in line to try to help fill that role. I'd rather go with a player who is more proven than him and much more closer to the talent that we have up front starting in our side.

There is a substantial gap between the front three and Harry Wilson for instance coming in. That's not to say that he shouldn't be given a chance full stop, but he wouldn't be my first go to in terms of rotating for one of the front three. I believe we can do better than that.

Whether we decided to do so remains to be seen.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2019, 02:01:06 am »
The look on everyone’s faces when Harry Wilson is the only forward added to our forward line.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2019, 02:02:02 am »
Poor choice of words on my part perhaps I should have elaborated more. Of course I'd love for him to be a top player and develop under us, just as much as you would. But in terms of right now,whether or not he has the ability to do so at this very moment, it would be disappointing if he's first in line to try to help fill that role. I'd rather go with a player who is more proven than him and much more closer to the talent that we have up front starting in our side.

There is a substantial gap between the front three and Harry Wilson for instance coming in. That's not to say that he shouldn't be given a chance full stop, but he wouldn't be my first go to in terms of rotating for one of the front three. I believe we can do better than that.

Whether we decided to do so remains to be seen.

Who would be better? Pepe, maybe who else?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2019, 02:18:25 am »
Who would be better? Pepe, maybe who else?

I know you're Harry Wilson's dad in disguise on here, so no surprise that you've posted  ;D

I'm not a scout, it's not my job to find the player suitable to fill that role. And this isn't the transfer forum either so there's no point into turning this thread into that.

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 02:41:24 am »
Yep. He's done really well in the Championship, now hopefully he grabs his chance at Liverpool with both hands.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2019, 02:53:43 am »
If he wants to make it here, he needs to fight his way through. Wilson being  our only addition to the attackers would be mental. Luckily he could definitely serve as a 6th/7th choice behind a new forward addition that would be higher up the rotation. I don’t see the harm in giving him 5 starts and 10 sub appearances next year. Let him compete with Divock and Shaq, if he can make it up then great.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2019, 02:54:31 am »
Friends of mine who are Derby fans said he was their best player last season, and they'd love to keep hold of him.

Of course there's a gulf between Derby and Liverpool in terms of quality, so there are still more questions than answers...
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2019, 08:38:17 am »
I think he'll be a Red for a few years yet.  Probably not an all time great but he doesn't need to be to contribute to a trophy winning squad.

Sure none of us know how or if he'll adapt to the PL but what I do know is that whatever targets he's been set at the start of the last few seasons, he's achieved them. 

For me 24 goals in 68 senior games at 22yrs of age is definitely worth a season of settling in before being binned off.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2019, 09:04:35 am »

I'd have no idea to be disappointed or not if Wilson stays and is part of the squad foe 2019/2020. He looks a tidy player for Derby though there are some concerns about his fit in our system. I've seen him compared to Maddison and Brooks. I personally don't think he is as good as Maddison at Championship level. No idea about Brooks since he went a bit under the radar for me.

What I would say is that I don't think there's a realistic scenario where Wilson stays and we buy another front 3 player. It's one or the other in my opinion.

I think Salah, Firmino, Mane, Origi, AOC, Brewster, Shaqiri will all play some games as part of a front 2 (442), front 3 (433) or front 4 (4231) next season. Though AOC and Shaqiri could play games in other positions also. Maybe AOC more so.

Wilson would be a 7th option for those forward positions. I don't see a situation where we buy another wide forward and keep Wilson. Unless we sell Shaqiri or Origi. It would be interesting if people would rather have Wilson over Shaqiri or Origi if given the choice.

I think the club would probably like to loan Wilson again. I think the Q might be whether Wilson wants to be loaned again.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2019, 10:32:44 am »
Another article on him in the Echo:

As the ECHO revealed this week , Klopp is willing to give Wilson a chance to make a mark during the club's pre-season schedule.

The Liverpool manager is keen to see how the Wales international has kicked on during an excellent loan stay with Frank Lampard's Rams.

From the outside, it's been a hugely impressive season. Eighteen goals in all competitions - plenty of them spectacular - have left some supporters convinced he is finally primed to make the grade at Anfield.

Klopp stayed in contact with Wilson throughout his push for Championship promotion with the Rams, with the Reds boss regularly fed back reports of his player's progress from loan and pathways manager Julian Ward.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/harry-wilson-stands-edge-liverpool-16430924

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2019, 10:44:08 am »
Pre season will be revealing. Jurgen has a conversation to have with Harry regarding best position. I like Harry, he's always done what's been asked of him. He wants to play for Liverpool, who wouldn't. What he has to consider is where will he get his game? Doubt it will be front 3. Midfield, left of a 4231, maybe. But what about LB of LWB? Convert him, what potential he has to play that specialist position with Liverpool. He'd get ten games there next season, maybe more in order to learn it. It's not a traditional left back position. Rather like Trent was not a natural RB yet look at him now. Up to Harry but I believe that's the plan if he wants it. Interesting we are quiet in the market in this position. Heard nothing.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2019, 11:01:03 am »
seen a lot of Wilson at Derby. Good player but I don't think he will be good enough.

But if Klopp decides to keep him & see's that he can progress.

Wilson's attitude by all accounts seems excellent. His work rate at Derby was very good too.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2019, 11:04:41 am »
seen a lot of Wilson at Derby. Good player but I don't think he will be good enough.

But if Klopp decides to keep him & see's that he can progress.

Wilson's attitude by all accounts seems excellent. His work rate at Derby was very good too.

It's a no brainer to see how he does in preseason, if he cant cut it we will get the thick end of £20m for him.

Offline Jack The Lad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2019, 11:15:32 am »
Give him a go. A lot of people on here are hyping up Rhian Brewster to be a player to watch next season based on him actually doing fuck all yet in a first team. Wilson played a full season in the Championship and scored a fair few goals. Why shouldn’t he get a chance to see what he can do here?  Fair to say he won’t be a starter, but could be useful to bring off the bench.

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2019, 11:18:18 am »
What I always found interesting was when Klopp first came in and was utilising the likes of Sheyi Ojo, Kevin Stewart and Ben Woodburn that even with the prolific nature of Wilson excelling in the U23s, he never gave him the same opportunities.
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2019, 11:21:15 am »
How quick is he?
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2019, 11:22:59 am »
What are people expecting the club to see in summer pre-sason that they couldn't see when he was at Derby playing meaningful games?

I'm pretty sure the club have made their mind up already one way or another