Author Topic: Roberto Firmino  (Read 2002423 times)

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Roberto Firmino
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2016, 01:04:09 am »
The one negative - noted above - there are times you are yelling for him to release the ball quicker or move quicker.

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2016, 01:10:51 am »
I looked at it quite a few times from different angles, and it was definitely going wide albeit it would not have missed the post by much. Also the deflection from the goalkeeper changed the ball's trajectory slightly more towards the goal and it still only hit the inside of the post. It would be against the laws of physics to say the shot was originally on target.

Then I think you might need your eyes checked mate!  They showed an angle from directly behind the post and unless that ball spins away while bouncing it was going in. the initial path was definitely in.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2016, 01:19:10 am »
Then I think you might need your eyes checked mate!  They showed an angle from directly behind the post and unless that ball spins away while bouncing it was going in. the initial path was definitely in.

I reckon it was going to curve to hit the front of the post and bounce out, but the keepers touch changed the spin such that it kept going straight and thus went in :)

He'd be unlucky to lose the goal though, too inconclusive

Offline Notfromaroundhere

• Kopite
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2016, 01:22:44 am »
What position was he brought in to play and whats his best position going forward? A deeper role don't seem to suit him at all

Don't know what the club had in mind when buying him, but for me he's definitely more of a striker than a #10 or wide player. I'd just keep using him up front.

I watched him a few times for Hoffenheim, and as a type of player he reminded me of Suarez in the sense that he didn't really play as a #9 or a #10 - just an attacking player who popped up anywhere and wanted to make things happen. Not very patient, but very direct and always looking to either instigate an attacking move or get in behind the defence or into the box. And this is why I think he should be used as high up the pitch as possible. Play him either as the single striker or in a two, and keep like-minded players around him he can link with. Just tons of movement; one-two's, third man runs, full backs overlapping. Timing. Dortmund style. Klopp style.  8) Firmino is perfect for that sort of football.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2016, 01:25:18 am »
Don't know what the club had in mind when buying him, but for me he's definitely more of a striker than a #10 or wide player. I'd just keep using him up front.

I watched him a few times for Hoffenheim, and as a type of player he reminded me of Suarez in the sense that he didn't really play as a #9 or a #10 - just an attacking player who popped up anywhere and wanted to make things happen. Not very patient, but very direct and always looking to either instigate an attacking move or get in behind the defence or into the box. And this is why I think he should be used as high up the pitch as possible. Play him either as the single striker or in a two, and keep like-minded players around him he can link with. Just tons of movement; one-two's, third man runs, full backs overlapping. Timing. Dortmund style. Klopp style.  8) Firmino is perfect for that sort of football.

interesting - he seems to have added that a bit to his game here.

• Kopite
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2016, 01:57:49 am »
interesting - he seems to have added that a bit to his game here.

A little bit, yes. Maybe just maturing as a player. But he still has that eagerness to make things happen and do small tricks and flicks regardless of where on the pitch he is, which can sometimes make him a liability if he's involved too early in the attack.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2016, 02:18:49 am »
I reckon it was going to curve to hit the front of the post and bounce out, but the keepers touch changed the spin such that it kept going straight and thus went in :)

He'd be unlucky to lose the goal though, too inconclusive
To me it looks like the bounce of the GK's foot changes the trajectory slightly away from the goal and towards the post, and yet it still goes in. I'd give it to Bobby.

http://i.imgur.com/TU0yCa5.gifv

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2016, 02:23:52 am »
Bob is the second best thing to happen this season.
First being Everton's pitch invasion at Bournemouth ? ;D

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2016, 02:41:09 am »
I think his dribbling hasn't really come to the fore yet, but that will happen as he adjusts more and more to the league. He has looked a bit reluctant to take on players, but as he adapts and gains confidence, that'll change too. Particularly in areas near the box, where a quick turn or a piece of skill can earn a bit of space for a shot/pass or at least, draw a foul. He does look a very intelligent player and is quietly improving every game. I can't believe some people were already having a go at him after he had a couple of quiet games in his first season at the club.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2016, 02:59:31 am »
First being Everton's pitch invasion at Bournemouth ? ;D

That was fun, but this season is all about the Jurgen.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2016, 03:00:08 am »
Love him so far, even when he wasn't scoring he was putting in a shift and you could tell he has quality.  Plus he has a sexy name, what's not to like.
choose Life.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2016, 05:53:21 am »
He always looked like he had the quality, never understood how he got written off as a transfer dud so easily. Well I do understand, in the sense that I realise 95% of fans are numpties and 100% of journos are glorified wind-up merchants.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2016, 05:57:24 am »
Ibe, Couthinho and him are a great start to and attacking set up.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2016, 08:41:20 am »
He always looked like he had the quality, never understood how he got written off as a transfer dud so easily. Well I do understand, in the sense that I realise 95% of fans are numpties and 100% of journos are glorified wind-up merchants.

Thought we'd have to wait til next season for him to kick on to be honest. Could see instantly that he has plenty of talent, but it was showing itself sporadically. Hope he can carry on like this though, would be a huge boost.

Offline Lustig

• Kopite
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2016, 08:49:17 am »
The one negative - noted above - there are times you are yelling for him to release the ball quicker or move quicker.

This.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2016, 09:10:35 am »
I think Firmino's main weakness is when pit against big bullying defenders he lacks the upper body strength to hold them off.  I'm sure we'll be working on his balance and his core to improve that.  When there's space to run into or against a 'classy' hands off defender he runs riot, but I expect we'll continue to struggle against packed boxes and premier league thug cbs because he's just not built for it.

The thing with Suarez is no matter how big or strong you were, you were gonna be walking off that pitch beaten to a pulp.  The way he uses to step on toes, back into people.. He was a massive c*nt to play against and giving him the rough treatment only made it worse.

Firmino is a cracking player though, glad to have him.

:lmao :lmao

Oh, the memories you've revived.

Oppo teams quaked when they saw him

:lmao

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2016, 09:51:57 am »
Suarez wasn't the new Torres, and Firmino won't be the new Suarez. As long as he's scoring goals it's all good.

He's too good in the box to be wasted on the wing. That coolness is very hard to learn. In the 433 we are playing, the wingers end up quite far from the box most of the time, supporting FBs in defense. As a striker, Firmino can roam wherever he likes, much like Suarez did.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2016, 10:05:40 am »
5+5 after 20 games. That's a good record. After a slow start, he's done well. If he can keep that up, long term, he'll be a key player for us.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline s_andrews89

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2016, 10:14:17 am »

While I agree with this, I'd say it's an issue with the majority of our attacking play. A lack of confidence, which is coming - that's clear to see, is meaning all of our forwards seem to take an extra touch, or an extra few seconds on the ball and it slows us down.

When we get up to speed, we're could be destroying teams for fun regularly.

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2016, 11:29:59 am »
Suarez wasn't the new Torres, and Firmino won't be the new Suarez. As long as he's scoring goals it's all good.

He's too good in the box to be wasted on the wing. That coolness is very hard to learn. In the 433 we are playing, the wingers end up quite far from the box most of the time, supporting FBs in defense. As a striker, Firmino can roam wherever he likes, much like Suarez did.

I wonder if we might soon see a Brazilian front 3?  Coutinho, Bobby and perhaps tex all allowed to move wherever they wish to create space and danger.  There has to be some logic to collecting such an army of second striker/cams.

It's the sort of mad thing Guardiola would do, but we have our own mad genius now :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 11:31:47 am by Cid »

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2016, 11:44:49 am »
Wouldn't be the most dynamic of front threes to be honest.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2016, 12:13:40 pm »
im glad we're starting to see some real quality for him more often now. He always seemed like he was on the verge of doing great things in matches but just wasn't clicking (apart from that City game)

Better late than never....think the players will trust him more and advanced positions and they should. he's very clever with the ball in the final third which is something we are in very short supply of in our team!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 02:23:25 pm by redk84 »
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline pjk66

• Anny Roader
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2016, 12:26:24 pm »
thought he was great on sat. 2 well taken goals that are chances we have been missing of late. really hope he keeps it going

One thing he does lack is that bit of speed which makes me think he isn't a full out striker, even though Klopp says he is. He isn't slow but just have that little bit of extra speed to get away from defenders.

That moment on sat when the ball was played through and he slowed up so the keeper had an easy take in the end really riled me too! Never should he not be going for that. Suarez would have gone for the 100% and either got the ball or won a pen.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2016, 12:33:00 pm »
I think people who want him on the last shoulder for 90 mins are missing the point.

Right now he`s our most creative player, he created the most clear cut chances in the squad and if you look at the games since Leicester when he started playing well he`s creating chances for fun in all the games since then. He does so by dropping deep and creating superiority between the lines, asking for that part of his game not be utilized would be a travesty.

You look at the equalizer the other day, he drops deeper, lays it off on the side, runs back into the space he vacated and finishes. If you ask him not to drop deep ever you`re taking away a massive chunk of creativity in our game.

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2016, 12:43:56 pm »
He is getting better and better with each game hopefully he ties Shawcross in knots tomorrow
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline pjk66

• Anny Roader
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2016, 12:44:03 pm »
I think for the last while and short term future he has done an excellent job and is definitely the best option we have at the moment; in my eyes Benteke doesn't fit at all and is only suited for Plan B.

But in the long term, I would like an out and out striker who has that extra bit of speed to run the channels and get in behind a defence. Firmino's mindset just isn't suited to that as you said. But he can certainly be that creative player in a front 2/3.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2016, 12:47:51 pm »
The assist for Hendo at the weekend, exquisite!!

• Kopite
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2016, 12:54:38 pm »
I think people who want him on the last shoulder for 90 mins are missing the point.

Right now he`s our most creative player, he created the most clear cut chances in the squad and if you look at the games since Leicester when he started playing well he`s creating chances for fun in all the games since then. He does so by dropping deep and creating superiority between the lines, asking for that part of his game not be utilized would be a travesty.

You look at the equalizer the other day, he drops deeper, lays it off on the side, runs back into the space he vacated and finishes. If you ask him not to drop deep ever you`re taking away a massive chunk of creativity in our game.

Absolutely. Needs to be allowed to drop deep, but also has to stay up there and stretch the pitch. He's a very intelligent player, so with a bit more experience playing the striker role he will know when to do what. And then it's important to have someone up there who provides the opposite movement, be it a strike partner or a wide player.

Offline BeingJohnMarkovic

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2016, 01:31:23 pm »
Hopefully he'll get the chance to play with better players here over the next few years. He's obviously got a lot of class about him. Nice to see him coming into some form!
It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2016, 07:02:55 pm »
Look at his 2nd goal again - it really is a joy to watch.

From the moment he flicks the ball to Milner he is immediately off running into space. As their defence focuses on Milner and Lallana, he runs on the blind side of 2 players and makes a dash for the box, all the time watching Lallana to anticipate the cross. He still has so much to do, and as good as Lallana's cross is (an absolute peach of a ball when running at pace and under pressure), Firmino takes the pace off it beautifully and waits until just the right moment when the keeper commits himself and then simply guides it the other way over his shoulder.

I don't want to compare him to Suarez (as he isn't Suarez), but his running, energy and willingness to always create danger is exactly what we need at the moment and long may his form continue.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2016, 08:44:47 pm »
While I agree with this, I'd say it's an issue with the majority of our attacking play. A lack of confidence, which is coming - that's clear to see, is meaning all of our forwards seem to take an extra touch, or an extra few seconds on the ball and it slows us down.

When we get up to speed, we're could be destroying teams for fun regularly.
Yip as we get used to how Klopp wants us to play and used to each other AGAIN, we'll cut out the extra steps and it will end up being quite efficient. That's how you could describe Dortmund- efficient and economical with their attacking play.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2016, 09:50:15 am »
Thought he did well again today. Some really nice, creative play. Think he might feel a bit alone out there....... till Coutinho come back.
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2016, 11:40:22 am »
I was frustrated with Firmino earlier in the season. My opinion was that whilst he needed time to settle and get used to this League, it's hard to justify carrying someone every game if they aren't contributing.

He's now at the stage where he's contributing goals and assists.

We seem to play better when he's in the team but he is crying out for a bit of support and help around him. He's on another level to anything that was on the pitch for us last night and I think he suffered for it.

I can't wait to see Coutinho back, Sturridge and even Origi at this stage - pace, people with movement and people who can make runs and invent.

He's developing nicely.

His second goal against Norwich, the equaliser - I didn't think he had that in him. It was a clever, beautifully controlled touched.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #113 on: January 27, 2016, 01:19:51 pm »
Was looking forward to him shining last night but unfortunately he reverted to the form he's showed in the majority of games. A bit wasteful with passes and several touches that didn't come off. I think what some are saying is correct in the fact that he needs some help from better quality around him. Hopefully the return of Coutino and a couple of new signings will sort that out.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2016, 01:21:49 pm »
Was looking forward to him shining last night but unfortunately he reverted to the form he's showed in the majority of games. A bit wasteful with passes and several touches that didn't come off. I think what some are saying is correct in the fact that he needs some help from better quality around him. Hopefully the return of Coutino and a couple of new signings will sort that out.
It wasnt entirely his fault last night. The game wasnt set up for him. He was all alone, up top. Our wide players didnt create a single chance for him.
Seen us win everything

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2016, 01:23:11 pm »
It wasnt entirely his fault last night. The game wasnt set up for him. He was all alone, up top. Our wide players didnt create a single chance for him.
Milner, Lallana and Can are not very creative this season if at all. That`s the problem. And again it`s unfair to ask Lallana and Milner to perform well out of their positions.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2016, 01:24:27 pm »

Hence my last sentence.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2016, 12:14:30 pm »

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan