Author Topic: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)  (Read 994056 times)

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Welcome Darwin Núñez !!!
« Reply #2280 on: September 20, 2022, 10:55:39 am »
Not necessarily. He'll be judged on how he performs and how the team performs. Drogba averaged 12 league goals a season at Chelsea, no-one would call him anything but a major success though. If he's a pest who doesn't score a vast amount for a striker but causes a load of shit for other players to shine and help us be successful, then who cares if he's not scoring 25 goals a season.

The bit in bold is peak Fromola. Never change, you're unique in a very special way.

True.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2281 on: September 20, 2022, 12:00:42 pm »

The bit in bold is peak Fromola. Never change, you're unique in a very special way.

Peak implies positivity, though.

Maybe "abyssal" Fromola would be more appropriate...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2282 on: September 20, 2022, 01:01:35 pm »

it's unreasonable for a striker to come in to this league and expect them to score 20 goals in the first season, I'd say 12-15 of league goals and 20 in all comps is a fair target, 12-15 is on the high side but he is our record signing so the expectation is that he can deliver, second season he should be close to 20 league goals

The issue with him playing on the left is that is also the best position of Diaz and if we have to choose between one if them I'd select Diaz, could try a 4-2-3-1 with Diaz in the 10 with Jota on the left and Salah on the right but we just don't have the legs in midfield to accomodate them all.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2283 on: September 20, 2022, 02:28:19 pm »

Personally I think the plan was to rebuild the midfield first then bring him but because how crazy the transfer market is and English clubs throwing money at players so we had to do it earlier. It's difficult for a top experienced striker if your midfield is struggling let alone a young one so we need to be patient and ignore the media comparing him and Haaland. Haaland has a settled attacking creative midfield behind him.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2284 on: September 20, 2022, 02:37:40 pm »
it's unreasonable for a striker to come in to this league and expect them to score 20 goals in the first season, I'd say 12-15 of league goals and 20 in all comps is a fair target, 12-15 is on the high side but he is our record signing so the expectation is that he can deliver, second season he should be close to 20 league goals

The issue with him playing on the left is that is also the best position of Diaz and if we have to choose between one if them I'd select Diaz, could try a 4-2-3-1 with Diaz in the 10 with Jota on the left and Salah on the right but we just don't have the legs in midfield to accomodate them all.

The all comps part is key which has been my point. 20 league goals is too much to expect in 30 odd games in his first season (unless he blitzed it from the start like Torres did or Haaland is). 20 goals in 50 odd games is achievable for your main striker. Jota and Mane both achieved this last season. He's not a cheap punt like Minamino to grab a few goals here and there, he's our record buy which comes with expectations.

Incidentally Torres's first season at Liverpool is the only season in his career he scored 20 league goals, so it's longevity that you want from Nunez as well. One season at Chelsea Torres scored 22 goals as well but in 64 appearances and only 8 in the league. 20 goals in a season target is different if you're playing 55-60 games. Michael Owen never scored 20 league goals in his career. In 5 different seasons with us he did top 20 goals though in all comps.

It eases the burden a lot if Mo and Jota score regularly but the problem he'll have then is getting in the team over Jota. Without Mane or a productive midfield we do need whoever is playing through the middle to knock the goals in.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 02:43:26 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2285 on: September 20, 2022, 04:39:53 pm »
this continues to be quote an 'interesting' thread! ;D

couple of pages ago it seemed like some people were sort of shouting 'xg! its the volume of shots that matter' at those who expressed anything not rose-tinted about early signals from his very small number of minutes.

but lately it seems like the new one is 'it's not about the number of goals, what matters most is who he scores against and when'. not entirely sure how that tallies with the interpretation of xg.

plus the smattering of people thinking they're defending nunez by saying anyone slightly critical of his start is only doing it because they're deluded/jealous/worried about banter (on the weirder end of spectrum) because of haalands start - saying 'noone should be comparing the two, it's not fair', only to then compare the two again (and sur others on to continue comparisons).

that's not even mentioning the more conspiratorial posters, implying there's some kind of media hearts and minds campaign that's succeeding in fooling us supporters into thinking he's not had a perfect start. all kinds of fun in here!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2286 on: September 20, 2022, 04:43:26 pm »

couple of pages ago it seemed like some people were sort of shouting 'xg! its the volume of shots that matter' at those who expressed anything not rose-tinted about early signals from his very small number of minutes.

but lately it seems like the new one is 'it's not about the number of goals, what matters most is who he scores against and when'. not entirely sure how that tallies with the interpretation of xg.

plus the smattering of people thinking they're defending nunez by saying anyone slightly critical of his start is only doing it because they're deluded/jealous/worried about banter (on the weirder end of spectrum) because of haalands start - saying 'noone should be comparing the two, it's not fair', only to then compare the two again (and sur others on to continue comparisons).

that's not even mentioning the more conspiratorial posters, implying there's some kind of media hearts and minds campaign that's succeeding in fooling us supporters into thinking he's not had a perfect start. all kinds of fun in here!

And now of course the ‘must not question anyone being negative’ police :)

Always welcome, always welcome.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2287 on: September 20, 2022, 04:46:12 pm »

Surely you aren't suggesting there might be a wide range of opinion on a public forum?  ;)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2288 on: September 20, 2022, 04:58:04 pm »
Surely you aren't suggesting there might be a wide range of opinion on a public forum?  ;)
Oh I am! It's great, I love rawk!

some of the arguing has been a bit daft as has some of the (at-times factional) incredulity about posts sharing a view on one of our footballers, but the 'don't compare him to haaland because haaland [insert comparison here]' stuff is a highlight and very funny

Offline Frey Lockyer

• Boys Pen
« Reply #2289 on: September 20, 2022, 07:54:02 pm »
Aye, that lad seems like a good footballer—just like Linudden. He's a legendary one.

Strewth!

Offline K-B-K

• Main Stander
« Reply #2290 on: September 22, 2022, 05:59:27 pm »
Based on his games for Benfica, particularly against us last season.

There's a few issues I see with that though. For one, I'll admit, I don't watch Benfica games, outside of the ones he had against us, I've done the usual player investigation that goes on when you first sign a new player. We play a high line, and Nunez is quick, he can exploit those high lines well, which he did against us in that 2nd half at Anfield, but that's not what we are facing, we have slowed our play down significantly as the seasons have gone on, and we tend to be playing against the deep block. We can rarely exploit the pace of our forwards, there's obviously situations where we can but for most of the game we are trying to break down a deep defence. If we can get him space in behind then he's an asset anywhere along that line, but against those deep blocks I don't think he has the dribbling ability or the creativity to play out wide. I'm not saying he has no ability in those areas, but not enough for width to be his primary position. He needs to be in the middle causing problems and using his height and strength in my opinion. We know he can finish and we know he is athletic, I feel we just need to get him into those positions and hope with some confidence he will start banging them in.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2291 on: September 23, 2022, 08:51:38 am »
There's a few issues I see with that though. For one, I'll admit, I don't watch Benfica games, outside of the ones he had against us, I've done the usual player investigation that goes on when you first sign a new player. We play a high line, and Nunez is quick, he can exploit those high lines well, which he did against us in that 2nd half at Anfield, but that's not what we are facing, we have slowed our play down significantly as the seasons have gone on, and we tend to be playing against the deep block. We can rarely exploit the pace of our forwards, there's obviously situations where we can but for most of the game we are trying to break down a deep defence. If we can get him space in behind then he's an asset anywhere along that line, but against those deep blocks I don't think he has the dribbling ability or the creativity to play out wide. I'm not saying he has no ability in those areas, but not enough for width to be his primary position. He needs to be in the middle causing problems and using his height and strength in my opinion. We know he can finish and we know he is athletic, I feel we just need to get him into those positions and hope with some confidence he will start banging them in.

I assumed that's a big part of why we signed him though?  To help breakdown deep defences as we mix it up more. Particularly after those three scoreless finals and games like the Spurs one which proved costly. As you say though you'd expect that to mean he needs to play through the middle.

We'd be well aware when assessing him he's not going to be playing against high lines, other than the odd opponent like City.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2292 on: September 23, 2022, 09:16:57 am »
He's also another type of threat for our endless crosses into the box with his height and strength(?)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2293 on: September 23, 2022, 09:22:48 am »
I assumed that's a big part of why we signed him though?  To help breakdown deep defences as we mix it up more. Particularly after those three scoreless finals and games like the Spurs one which proved costly. As you say though you'd expect that to mean he needs to play through the middle.

We'd be well aware when assessing him he's not going to be playing against high lines, other than the odd opponent like City.

Those three finals where we didn't score, far too much was made about them. We absolutely should have scored in all of them, certainly in Paris and the FA Cup final.

Offline klopptopia

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2294 on: September 23, 2022, 10:08:23 am »
and Mane missed what was basically an open goal in the League Cup final

Offline K-B-K

• Main Stander
« Reply #2295 on: September 23, 2022, 05:18:00 pm »

Yeah exactly, that's my point, my reply is strictly referring to the idea of playing him wide, not about why we signed him.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2296 on: September 23, 2022, 06:01:46 pm »
Yeah exactly, that's my point, my reply is strictly referring to the idea of playing him wide, not about why we signed him.

Looks like Uruguay are playing him wide tonight, still trying to accommodate Suarez and Cavani

He's obviously a centre forward, City/Norway wouldn't play Haaland wide.

Offline K-B-K

• Main Stander
« Reply #2297 on: September 23, 2022, 06:36:25 pm »
Looks like Uruguay are playing him wide tonight, still trying to accommodate Suarez and Cavani

He's obviously a centre forward, City/Norway wouldn't play Haaland wide.

Yeah, I mean I don't understand that personally, but like I'm no expert, I can only voice an opinion, although going by the scoreline that line up hasn't worked out for them tonight, but like i said, my opinion isn't worth much lool.

I just think, looking at the make up of the player, having him central makes sense, but obviously with how our system has been for a while now, we've never had a stronger, taller forward in the middle since the early Klopp days where he obviously wasn't a fan of Benteke (different player though of course, just the closest comparison we have), it's gonna take an adjustment, either that or it'll fail, I have no clue, I'm hoping the former obviously, I'm fairly confident he will come good. Who knows though.
« Last Edit: October 8, 2022, 03:09:42 pm by K-B-K »

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2298 on: September 23, 2022, 07:06:23 pm »
Yeah, I mean I don't understand that personally, but like I'm no expert, I can only voice an opinion, although going by the scoreline that line up hasn't worked out for them tonight, but like i said, my opinion isn't worth much lool.

I just think, looking at the make up of the player, having him central makes sense, but obviously with how our system has been for a while now, we've never had a stronger, taller forward in the middle since the early Klopp days where he obviously wasn't a fan of Benteke (different player though of course, just the closest comparison we have), it's gonna take an adjustment, either that or it'll fail, I have no clue, I'm hoping the former obviously

Klopp developed Lewandowski into a world class striker at a similar age at least.

Offline K-B-K

• Main Stander
« Reply #2299 on: September 23, 2022, 07:30:19 pm »
Klopp developed Lewandowski into a world class striker at a similar age at least.

Yeah, that's very true, that's why I'm hopeful after an adjustment period things can really get going for Nunez, I don't think anyone can doubt he has potential.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2300 on: September 23, 2022, 08:22:01 pm »
Was a couple of years younger than Nunez, when he joined Dortmund (and he started every league game bar one from his first season, so very different situation in terms of developing in and with the team rather than working to become a feature of the team).

At the same age Lewandoski led Dortmund had won two leagues and the season they went to the CL final was just starting

Offline K-B-K

• Main Stander
« Reply #2301 on: September 23, 2022, 09:22:42 pm »
Was a couple of years younger than Nunez, when he joined Dortmund (and he started every league game bar one from his first season, so very different situation in terms of developing in and with the team rather than working to become a feature of the team).

At the same age Lewandoski led Dortmund had won two leagues and the season they went to the CL final was just starting

Even still, footballers last longer now and so he has more time to develop I think, just look at Lewa now, his best basically came in his 30s (was obviously still banging them in earlier, but not 55 goals in a season). Plus, Salah was older than Nunez when he was getting binned off by Chelsea, and look how that turned out.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2302 on: September 23, 2022, 09:52:00 pm »

CarraBuzzkill, reporting from RAWK...  :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2303 on: September 23, 2022, 10:51:07 pm »
The circus around him is incredible really. Every day, an idiot posting a new clip of him missing a chance/pass in training, or an equally stupid Liverpool fan countering by posting clips of strikes that are decent but have been saved. Never quite seen anything like it.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2304 on: September 23, 2022, 11:03:42 pm »
The circus around him is incredible really. Every day, an idiot posting a new clip of him missing a chance/pass in training, or an equally stupid Liverpool fan countering by posting clips of strikes that are decent but have been saved. Never quite seen anything like it.
People are desperate for him to fail.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2305 on: September 23, 2022, 11:47:52 pm »
CarraBuzzkill, reporting from RAWK...  :D
;D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2306 on: September 23, 2022, 11:48:31 pm »

Yep. Its like his signing has somehow been the catalyst for all new media to really shine in its banterism. I have never experienced a situation where a player for us has been so scrutinised so early on. Video clips of him crossing the ball in training, a random shot wide, its really mad.

I think a lot of it could be because of whats happening in the league. We havent started well, teams with big to decent size followings like United, Spurs and Arsenal are doing better, you have Haaland being incredible that now people see an opportunity to strike and they have gone in bold like the Chancellor today.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2307 on: September 23, 2022, 11:58:00 pm »
Getting fucked off with having the read that ugly fucks name on every bastard page.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2308 on: September 24, 2022, 12:06:16 am »
I can’t think of any other player in the premier league that has been scrutinised so early on, why is Nunez? It’s madness. Hope he doesn’t read any of the shite being written, especially by Liverpool fans, luckily can’t read English. Doubt he’d go through the trouble of translating. I know footballers tend to need to have thick skin but he’s a young lad desperate to impress. You’d swear he hasn’t influenced games since he signed for us. He’s scored a few and has looked dangerous.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #2309 on: September 24, 2022, 07:34:52 am »
I can’t think of any other player in the premier league that has been scrutinised so early on, why is Nunez? It’s madness. Hope he doesn’t read any of the shite being written, especially by Liverpool fans, luckily can’t read English. Doubt he’d go through the trouble of translating. I know footballers tend to need to have thick skin but he’s a young lad desperate to impress. You’d swear he hasn’t influenced games since he signed for us. He’s scored a few and has looked dangerous.

I’m sure Uruguayan(42? 21? 666? Can’t remember) will translate stuff especially on RAWK for him. He used to help Suarez with it.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2310 on: September 24, 2022, 10:30:00 am »

thats social media for you

sad life of bottom dwellers hoping others fail in their life as well

just saw highlight of his national game. thought he looked ok enough as a wide left. worked hard and managed to find some space with is pace. his ball control obviously not at mane's level. thought uruguay would put him at least in the middle and plan for the future instead of putting 2 aging forwards in the middle and shafting their most promising centre forward on the left.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2311 on: September 24, 2022, 12:14:19 pm »
He has now deactivated comments on his Twitter posts. He should take a clean break from social media or leave it to his agents IMO.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2312 on: September 24, 2022, 04:47:15 pm »

Lewa only started 15 games in his first season at Dortmund, it was Lucas Barrios leading the line in that first league title season.  Lewa was 22 in that first season. 

Not that I’m comparing both, just pointing that out! Lewandowski is one of the greatest ever, a high bar not many will reach.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2313 on: September 24, 2022, 07:59:38 pm »
He has now deactivated comments on his Twitter posts. He should take a clean break from social media or leave it to his agents IMO.

Clearly affected by all of this. Think it was his response in the summer that made people sense blood.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2314 on: September 24, 2022, 08:09:42 pm »

That is what he did in his first season at Benfica. It galvanized him and then he smashed it.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2315 on: September 24, 2022, 08:46:22 pm »
That is what he did in his first season at Benfica. It galvanized him and then he smashed it.

Did it? Thought it was his second season where he started scoring?

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2316 on: September 25, 2022, 02:03:14 am »
Lewa only started 15 games in his first season at Dortmund, it was Lucas Barrios leading the line in that first league title season.  Lewa was 22 in that first season. 

Not that I’m comparing both, just pointing that out! Lewandowski is one of the greatest ever, a high bar not many will reach.

Sorry, mixed up the years I checked - meant played every league game bar one. Cheers for correcting. Took him to around halfway point of the season before back to back starts came, but then they were there to stay.

And yep him being 22 was my point (as it was suggested Klopp started working with him at a similar age to Nunez, who's older)
Clearly affected by all of this. Think it was his response in the summer that made people sense blood.
Yeah does seem to be. I'm surprised he continued to check/use it and allow comments after the stuff in preseason was bothering him
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 02:06:07 am by Classycara »

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2317 on: September 25, 2022, 02:10:42 am »
Did it? Thought it was his second season where he started scoring?

He got shit on facebook, it galvanised him and he got better.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2318 on: September 25, 2022, 10:20:24 am »
He’s a lad in his early 20’s with the world at his feet. In todays day and age it’s very easy to say ‘just come off social media’ which is a shame because I can only imagine how some of the shit these footballers see online make them feel

Disabling comments is a good start for sure. From what I’ve seen heard he’s had no one on his back at games (and rightly so) so blocking out that negativity will hopefully help him

Still got faith in the lad that he’s gonna be a beast for us long term

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2319 on: September 26, 2022, 02:39:58 am »
It's bizarre really. There's been so much written about this guy and so many conclusions come to already, yet I feel like I've only seen him play about five minutes football in a Liverpool shirt.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.