Author Topic: Website Help.  (Read 2690 times)

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
Website Help.
« on: April 3, 2014, 10:06:59 am »
Anyone got any idea how to remove a redirect virus from google?
If you search for  "Cartoon Generals" in google you should get the following address to our website http://www.cartoongenerals.com/main/.

Yet if you get that link in google search and click on it it takes you to  http://url4short.info/3cf303af.
im getting the same link with both Google Chrome and  Firefox.
Its NOT a virus on my machine, as other clan members are getting the same thing.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
JFT 96

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
Re: Website Help.
« Reply #1 on: April 3, 2014, 10:52:30 am »
Also getting the same issue with IE
JFT 96

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 3, 2014, 10:55:59 am »
It isn't google, it looks like your content has a redirect in the HTML. Get your web admin to check the html, also if you go to www.cartoongenerals.com it works.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #3 on: April 5, 2014, 09:47:29 am »
thanks for the reply Joe, im not sure im understanding you.
when i search Google {FF and Chrome} or Bing {using IE} it shows.

Cartoon Generals - Unreal Portal
www.cartoongenerals.com/main/‎
3 days ago - Cartoon Generals Team Speak 66.151.138.164. Port: no port necessary. Server password - whatsupdoc. Cartoon Generals Battlefield 4 Team ...

Which all looks legit enough,
But when you click on that link it takes you to the "URL4Short.info" http://url4short.info/3cf303af
Is it possible/probable that this is a hack /malaware on our site? as far as i know, none of our guys have made any changes to the  back end of the website, Should i be contacting our WebHost  {NFO} and getting their input?
The main Tech guru in our clan is not baout too much, {real life issues} so im flying blind here, any further help much appreciated
JFT 96

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4 on: April 5, 2014, 11:31:06 am »
So it does it on Bing too?

I looked at your source code and nothing springs out as being the cause, so I'd contact your host and see if they'll help, a decent host would normally try to help out.

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #5 on: April 5, 2014, 11:39:53 am »
Is it an Invision Power Board site (uses the IPB forum software)? We had something very similar on another forum I am a member of.

This link, whilst very techy, might help out: http://peter.upfold.org.uk/blog/2013/01/15/cleaning-up-the-ip-board-url4short-mess/

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #6 on: April 5, 2014, 12:27:36 pm »
Is it an Invision Power Board site (uses the IPB forum software)? We had something very similar on another forum I am a member of.

This link, whilst very techy, might help out: http://peter.upfold.org.uk/blog/2013/01/15/cleaning-up-the-ip-board-url4short-mess/
Cheers Thush, yes it is IPB, found one of members has a decent handle on this sort of stuff, so will pass him the link and let you know how we got on
JFT 96

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #7 on: April 5, 2014, 05:02:52 pm »
Sorted,
Thanks for the help all
JFT 96

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 04:36:15 pm »
Guys

If i say.. take a snip/screenshot of a picture from a store, another website wherever, how do i then put it on my webpage so it blends in with the background.

Is it a Photoshop job or can it be done easily?

cheers :wave

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 02:23:29 pm »
what do you want to do? blend an image into a colour?

Find an example on another site so we can see what you mean ;D

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 01:26:48 pm »
Wondering if someone can help me.

I am getting married later this year and we are trying to do all our wedding stationery online.

I've created an AWS account and launched an EC2 instance. I've installed Wordpress and have an up-and-running 'Blog' which will serve as my site for invitations, directions, hotel details, RSVPs etc.

I have assigned the EC2 instance an elastic (static) IP. I've tested this and entering the IP address in a browser links to the blog.

I've registered a free .co.uk domain name with names.co.uk

What I'm now looking to do is sort out the DNS settings to point my domain to my blog hosted on AWS.

Questions:

1. Do I have to update settings on names.co.uk (the domain host) or AWS (the server space)?
2. What settings do I use?! I have not got a clue here and names.co.uk is not very helpful!

If anyone with some technical knowledge can talk me through what to do I'd be very appreciative.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 01:31:32 pm »
The settings are done through your Domain Name provider. There will be an option to add a CNAME or A record to point to your EC2 instance.

One other consideration though, are EC2 instances on dynamic or static IP's? From memory they're dynamic by default so an A record isn't any use if your IP changes.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 02:18:45 pm »
Cheers, Graeme.

These are the settings available in names.co.uk's DNS settings:

I've tried to use the A record to link to the IP address of the blog but no luck as of yet. Am I doing something wrong?

On the static point, I believe that by creating an elastic IP it creates a static address which does not change.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 02:28:28 pm »
Actually looks like you can do it through Amazon as well. Have a look at this guide...

http://techgenix.com/namecheap-aws-ec2-linux/

Different domain name provider I assume but process should be the same

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 02:31:19 pm »
The elastic IP creates a static address. You have to make sure you assign it to the instance. You can create and not use the IP.

DNS settings take time to propagate. Usually takes a few hours. Can take up to 48 hours.

Try pinging your domain name from a cmd box. It should show the IP address it resolves to.

You can also try your phone but not on WiFi to see if that resolves any quicker.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 02:35:31 pm »
The elastic IP creates a static address. You have to make sure you assign it to the instance. You can create and not use the IP.

Already done this.

Try pinging your domain name from a cmd box. It should show the IP address it resolves to.

I'll try this when I get home. Cheers.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 07:01:44 pm »
Already done this.

I'll try this when I get home. Cheers.

Tested it myself... looks like you haven't configured the firewall to allow pings through so that test won't work.

EDIT: Sorry you will still be able to see if name resolves to the right IP address but don't be confused by not getting responses to the ping. That is normal.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 07:23:24 pm by elmo_swatloski »

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 07:07:55 pm »
Try creating a CNAME record pointing to the hostname of your EC2 instance - ec2-18-220-136-78.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com

Also, it's a good idea to create a separate record for the www subdomain.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 07:11:25 pm »
Also, it is possible to do this entirely with AWS using Route 53, their DNS solution. There is guide here if youwant to go down that route: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/Route53/latest/DeveloperGuide/migrate-dns-domain-inactive.html

Probably pointless for the kind of thing you are doing but Route 53 allows you to do cool things like geolocation routing or failover routing if you want a bit more redundancy.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 07:13:05 pm by elmo_swatloski »

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 12:39:38 pm »
It works.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 12:40:18 pm »
But I suspect you found that out as you deleted your post...

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 12:41:39 pm »
A tool like this to check your settings can be very useful.

https://mxtoolbox.com/DNSLookup.aspx

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 08:45:55 pm »
Cheers, sorted it in the end. I think that issue was trying to sort things out at the domain end and at the host end. In the end I deleted the AWS Route53 settings and pointed both the www and no-prefix domain to the elastic IP. Bob's your uncle it works.