Author Topic: Liverpool's Midfield  (Read 1806470 times)

Offline Red Sea

• ...has (de)parted.
  • Legacy Fan
  • BR is the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.
Re: Liverpool's Midfield
« Reply #8120 on: March 22, 2015, 06:48:43 pm »
City have a gash midfield, United's is better, as is Chelsea's and Arsenal's. It will be interesting to see how we stack up at the Emirates.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8121 on: March 22, 2015, 06:48:43 pm »
When were we bullied? We were outplayed in the first 30 minutes - comprehensively. Not sure we were bullied - not sure you ever get bullied in the modern game

We were outplayed because are midfield were physically dominated. Open your eyes, they're clear reason why we were outplayed and of midfield inadequacies were that. 
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8122 on: March 22, 2015, 06:49:54 pm »
Mental no one had these fears when they were bossing toure and fernando. Poor first half from hendo and allen, second Half we controlled the majority imo and that was with 10 men. Says a lot about their ability, we do need Another midfielder, but not as desperately as some seem to think

I wouldn't say that. Never been a massive fan of Allen and there's plenty who have a long enough memory to know he has a handful of good performances in a season along his nightmare games and the invisible man impressions (the majority).

As for Hendo, I've always been a supporter of his, from the day he joined to be honest, but he's not a captain. He's a limited player and not someone who should be automatic first choice in midfield either. What we saw today was the Henderson we've seen most of the season. He'll run all day and excel in the right game but if there's no space he has no ability to make it, and if the other team press our midfield he can't do anything with the ball.

For me Henderson is the ideal midfield partner to an Alonso. Someone to do the running and the hassling, buy he can't dictate a game. Nor can Allen for that matter.

Offline Harris96

• Kopite
« Reply #8123 on: March 22, 2015, 07:08:13 pm »
I wouldn't say that. Never been a massive fan of Allen and there's plenty who have a long enough memory to know he has a handful of good performances in a season along his nightmare games and the invisible man impressions (the majority).

As for Hendo, I've always been a supporter of his, from the day he joined to be honest, but he's not a captain. He's a limited player and not someone who should be automatic first choice in midfield either. What we saw today was the Henderson we've seen most of the season. He'll run all day and excel in the right game but if there's no space he has no ability to make it, and if the other team press our midfield he can't do anything with the ball.

For me Henderson is the ideal midfield partner to an Alonso. Someone to do the running and the hassling, buy he can't dictate a game. Nor can Allen for that matter.

I think we've seen signs that Henderson can dictate a game, Allen as well for that matter.
 Dictating a game (imo) isn't necessarily getting on the ball, spraying passes long passes around Like xabi did (Imo masch dictated games more than Alonso for us, he stopped the opposition playing there game, and we ended up playing ours more often than not as a result) It can be harrassing the opposition into mistakes, quick incisive passes around the opposition through making yourself available and running through the lines.
I personally next season would be confident of a midfield three of can - hendo and either sterling or coutinho further forward (Dependent on opposition).
In terms of having an alonso type player, I don't think it would make any difference in this system, they'd be limited by movement we can do with the players we have. Ibe excluded none of our players like running beyond their man for the most part. The player I'd love to have would be verratti, midfield of him, hendo/can and sterling would be unbelievable

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #8124 on: March 22, 2015, 07:33:13 pm »
We've really missed Jordan Ibe. The lad had such a positive impact when he came in from the derby on.

A fully fit Lucas, Ibe at RWB and Sterling in his more natural left side attacking role combining with Coutinho and Sturridge between the lines and we have a much more
attacking suited and balanced dynamic.

I think the problem we've had is trying to fit lallana into the mix.   

Sturridge, with phil and sterling off.    If lallana can oust either of them then he gets a game if he cant....he's a useful sub or he can try at left wing back.

Ibe, based on his performances, should be first choice right wing back.   Dont know about left wing back.  Seems its a position still up for grabs.  Today i wished for jon flanagan.  We'd probably be down to 9 players due to atkinson being a twat but i doubt mata would have got quite the free ride he got today.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #8125 on: March 22, 2015, 07:36:25 pm »
It did harass City's midfield. But we need more than that. We need them to control and dictate the game. Far too many times its very rumble tumble and chaotic in there. Get your foot on the ball, slow the game down and control the game. Lucas is the only one who can do that. Allen can a bit and Henderson cannot do that at all.

And that's why we've looked like shit in Europe. It comes down to tactics though.

We're a very chaotic side which when we're playing well makes us a good Premier League side, but seasoned managers like Van Gaal and Mourinho (and European teams) can deal with that.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #8126 on: March 22, 2015, 07:44:18 pm »

One of the few times that's worked is against City who set up 442, are lazy out of possession and give up tons of space. A few teams will set up similarly and he'll have a lot of joy. Most teams won't though and he'll be totally ineffective.

Lallana is a spare part most of the time. He's way below the level of the much younger Sterling and Coutinho and was a real luxury buy for stupid money when we should have thrown it at Schneiderlin instead.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8127 on: March 22, 2015, 07:53:41 pm »
One of the few times that's worked is against City who set up 442, are lazy out of possession and give up tons of space. A few teams will set up similarly and he'll have a lot of joy. Most teams won't though and he'll be totally ineffective.

Lallana is a spare part most of the time. He's way below the level of the much younger Sterling and Coutinho and was a real luxury buy for stupid money when we should have thrown it at Schneiderlin instead.

This is the general opinion of most of my mates to.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #8128 on: March 22, 2015, 07:59:59 pm »
We were outplayed because are midfield were physically dominated. Open your eyes, they're clear reason why we were outplayed and of midfield inadequacies were that. 

lol @ open your eyes...

they were tactically excellent and we pressed really poorly and - more importantly - passed really poorly.
I'm happy to accept we were harrassed but 'bullied' implies we were somehow outmuscled or intimidated which I don't buy at all

Offline Bjinxi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8129 on: March 22, 2015, 08:05:29 pm »
Really hope Lucas stays fit and plays... we really need him... with him today I doubt that Manu would have dominated us in midfield so easily

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8130 on: March 22, 2015, 08:07:43 pm »
Really hope Lucas stays fit and plays... we really need him... with him today I doubt that Manu would have dominated us in midfield so easily

Thing with Lucas is he can control the play with the ball. He calms it down, slows it down and gives us a platform. With Allen and Henderson its all hectic. Henderson and Allen were poor when pressed and its all huff and puff. We needed someone in that midfield to turn it down a notch or two and slow the game down and get their foot on the ball.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8131 on: March 22, 2015, 08:13:35 pm »
lol @ open your eyes...

they were tactically excellent and we pressed really poorly and - more importantly - passed really poorly.
I'm happy to accept we were harrassed but 'bullied' implies we were somehow outmuscled or intimidated which I don't buy at all

Glad your eyes were opened to the harassing point
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8132 on: March 22, 2015, 08:17:26 pm »
Thing with Lucas is he can control the play with the ball. He calms it down, slows it down and gives us a platform. With Allen and Henderson its all hectic. Henderson and Allen were poor when pressed and its all huff and puff. We needed someone in that midfield to turn it down a notch or two and slow the game down and get their foot on the ball.

It looks like hindsight now but I was saying to my mates Lucas should have been the change at halftime not Gerrard - the solution to our problems wasn't a more direct passer in midfield it was someone who could read the game, control it and help aerially 

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8133 on: March 22, 2015, 08:19:35 pm »
It looks like hindsight now but I was saying to my mates Lucas should have been the change at halftime not Gerrard - the solution to our problems wasn't a more direct passer in midfield it was someone who could read the game, control it and help aerially 

I think a midfielder will be first priority for Rodgers in the summer.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #8134 on: March 22, 2015, 08:22:18 pm »

It's kind of worrying that Rodgers turned to Gerrard instead of Lucas,  like all the terrible performances earlier this season when Gerrard was the deepest midfielder never happened :(
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #8135 on: March 22, 2015, 08:24:29 pm »
If we'd had this formation all season we'd be 2nd/3rd and no-one would be whinging about it. We've been the form team in the league, despite the excellent form of Arsenal, for over a third of the season. There's really no need to throw the baby out with the bath water.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8136 on: March 22, 2015, 08:24:41 pm »
It's kind of worrying that Rodgers turned to Gerrard instead of Lucas,  like all the terrible performances earlier this season when Gerrard was the deepest midfielder never happened :(

Yeah maybe but also there's a TON of politics around anything to do with Gerrard and LFC - was a decent sized call to leave him out in the first place, bringing a not fully fit Lucas on over him might have been a bridge too far who knows

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8137 on: March 22, 2015, 08:25:30 pm »
If we'd had this formation all season we'd be 2nd/3rd and no-one would be whinging about it. We've been the form team in the league, despite the excellent form of Arsenal, for over a third of the season. There's really no need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

We would but that midfield is still the weakest area of our side.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #8138 on: March 22, 2015, 08:25:38 pm »

Apparantly Lallana has a groin injury.  If true,  and with Gerrard out for a few games,  problem of where to play these 2 might be solved for Rodgers
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8139 on: March 22, 2015, 08:27:25 pm »
Apparantly Lallana has a groin injury.  If true,  and with Gerrard out for a few games,  problem of where to play these 2 might be solved for Rodgers

Might see Lucas - Henderson and Allen as a 3 with Sterling, Coutinho and Sturridge in front

Offline Bjinxi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8140 on: March 22, 2015, 08:30:01 pm »

I really think Stevie came on to get something going and some fight into the team... If Lucas would have been 100% then he would have started... No point in risking him... But it was no surprise that Allen got bullied yet again...

I would love someone like Vidal or Matuidi even Cabaye... But I doubt they are on our radar...

Anyway with Lucas coming back it should give us more balance and offer Can and Sakho another option to build pup our attacks

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #8141 on: March 22, 2015, 08:59:35 pm »
I would love someone like Vidal or Matuidi even Cabaye... But I doubt they are on our radar...

Commands a big transfer fee,  will command big wages, old enough to grow a beard....rule out all players that meet the first three criteria.

Look for players who are young, with bumfluffy chins, in last year of contract or with buy out clause, who are likely to accept a small wage ( optional extra) also likely to fold when facing opponents of equal standing and there's where you will find our new midfielder.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #8142 on: March 22, 2015, 09:34:28 pm »
We would but that midfield is still the weakest area of our side.

Is it? If we're to persist with this formation, and I see no good reason we wouldn't, I'd suggest it's imperative we get proper wing backs in.

In this run of form Hendo, Allen and initially Lucas were among our best players. We can definitely improve there but I don't think it's particularly pressing.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8143 on: March 22, 2015, 09:37:51 pm »
Is it? If we're to persist with this formation, and I see no good reason we wouldn't, I'd suggest it's imperative we get proper wing backs in.

In this run of form Hendo, Allen and initially Lucas were among our best players. We can definitely improve there but I don't think it's particularly pressing.

Ibe and Flanagan will sort out the wing back positions. To be honest its a tough position to fill.

It is pressing. Lucas is class but we need another that can dictate the game and get their foot on the ball.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8144 on: March 22, 2015, 09:44:40 pm »
Ibe and Flanagan will sort out the wing back positions. To be honest its a tough position to fill.

It is pressing. Lucas is class but we need another that can dictate the game and get their foot on the ball.

If you go by the wise heads here, Lucas will be gone in the summer, so we might as well plan for that. We might be able to squeeze Inter for 3-4m with which to replace him.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8145 on: March 22, 2015, 09:45:19 pm »
If you go by the wise heads here, Lucas will be gone in the summer, so we might as well plan for that. We might be able to squeeze Inter for 3-4m with which to replace him.

It would be madness. He is our best midfielder.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #8146 on: March 22, 2015, 09:47:15 pm »
Aye, we need power in there. Today needed someone with physical presence up there, a Wanayama type.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8147 on: March 22, 2015, 09:47:54 pm »
Aye, we need power in there. Today needed someone with physical presence up there, a Wanayama type.

Hard to imagine Rodgers going out and buying a player like that, think he'd rather have somebody like Allen in there
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8148 on: March 22, 2015, 09:50:51 pm »

Like I said before the game, we have someone in the squad who's consistently dominated Fellaini and players like him. Persona non grata around these parts though, as appreciation of what he offers equals being a member of his cult.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8149 on: March 22, 2015, 09:52:36 pm »

People have been saying this for years and it still hasn't happened.  Power doesn't seem something we're prioritising in midfield.

Wouldn't be surprised if next season its something like Henderson, Allen, Milner and a Pjanic-type.  Going off the links so far that seems to be the direction in which we're heading.  Today hasn't convinced me that the midfield is particularly weak or in need of drastic changes, its obvious changes are coming with at least Gerrard going in the summer but I don't think destroyer-like defensive midfielders are high on our list of targets.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8150 on: March 22, 2015, 09:53:03 pm »
Hard to imagine Rodgers going out and buying a player like that, think he'd rather have somebody like Allen in there

What's Diame up to these days...? I'm joking.

"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #8151 on: March 22, 2015, 09:53:51 pm »
Like I said before the game, we have someone in the squad who's consistently dominated Fellaini and players like him. Persona non grata around these parts though, as appreciation of what he offers equals being a member of his cult.

Lucas is probably not ready yet after his injury? If Gerrard hadn't gone mental, maybe Lucas could have managed 20 mins or so right now.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8152 on: March 22, 2015, 09:54:34 pm »

We needed Lucas' power but we needed next to him someone to control the play and keep the ball. Xabi, for example.

We have managed to get back to some of our best levels around the field with Sakho, Skrtel and our attacking players but our midfielders are so far behind the level of Rafa's side its painful.

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #8153 on: March 22, 2015, 09:57:46 pm »
We need two midfielders end of.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8154 on: March 22, 2015, 10:08:20 pm »
We needed Lucas' power but we needed next to him someone to control the play and keep the ball. Xabi, for example.

We have managed to get back to some of our best levels around the field with Sakho, Skrtel and our attacking players but our midfielders are so far behind the level of Rafa's side its painful.

If you're talking about Alonso the technical player, I don't think we need players of that level to make a functional midfield or team. However, I do think we need to appreciate characters who show up for the fight, who combine physical courage with intelligence and a determination to do their job no matter what. Basic character qualities that are essential for what Shankly calls piano carriers. I don't think we do, certainly not to the extent that I'd like us to. See my arguments for more recognition of the contributions of Toure and Lucas this season.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Online Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8155 on: March 22, 2015, 10:09:24 pm »
Unfortunately we're all dreaming of a top midfielder coming in, but if we miss CL, I just can't see it.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8156 on: March 22, 2015, 10:11:33 pm »

Agreed and one of them needs to be a dominating presence. Or we could let Can play there for a a set number of games and see how he does.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8157 on: March 22, 2015, 10:14:41 pm »
Unfortunately we're all dreaming of a top midfielder coming in, but if we miss CL, I just can't see it.

He doesnt have to be world class. We can challenege for the title anyway.

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #8158 on: March 22, 2015, 10:15:57 pm »
We do. The problem I see is that we overuse utility players in Allen and Lallana. Good ones, but at this time they are utility nonetheless. They string a few games in which one thinks that they've brought their game to a new level, and then suffer a setback. Give them a chance to become permanent starters by all means, but we do need at least some constant driving presence in midfield. Injury to Lucas robbed us a bit from the competition, but we need to bring someone in.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8159 on: March 22, 2015, 10:16:30 pm »
He doesnt have to be world class. We can challenege for the title anyway.

Only thing I can see is Milner - marginal upgrade on Henderson, in the water carrier mode.

We need quality, someone who can control a game. I'm talking, like, Xabi-level here.