Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire  (Read 41929 times)

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #520 on: January 9, 2014, 01:22:13 pm »
You could try to get her interested in the books too? :D

Haha, she reads but boring detective stuff like Scott and Bailey - through great stress did I get her to watch the Hobbit2, not her cup of tea unfortunately.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #521 on: January 13, 2014, 01:25:14 pm »
looks from the trailer like the show's going deep into some ADWD stuff
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: January 13, 2014, 01:27:48 pm »
looks from the trailer like the show's going deep into some ADWD stuff

Sorry mate but which bits ? Also, I can't make out for the life of me who that rider on the horse speeding towards the man on the ground is. Any clues ?
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #523 on: January 13, 2014, 01:31:49 pm »
The next book can't come quick enough. Everytime, every fucking time, I see this thread bumed I think its an update on the new book.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #524 on: January 13, 2014, 01:34:52 pm »
The next book can't come quick enough. Everytime, every fucking time, I see this thread bumed I think its an update on the new book.

;D

Same here but kinda expected this to get bumped today what with the trailer. All talk on the ASOIAF forums are another 2-3 years... Sigh.

I only got round to the books a year or so ago so god knows how people dealt with the wait when reading them 'live', so to speak.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #525 on: January 13, 2014, 01:35:46 pm »
Sorry mate but which bits ? Also, I can't make out for the life of me who that rider on the horse speeding towards the man on the ground is. Any clues ?

Spoiler
There's a bit with Theon where it looks like he's at Moat Cailin, and then Jorah hasn't been outsed by Dany and Barristan yet. So I'd imagine tyrion will meet up with Jorah next season after this.

The bit with Bran is odd too. I think they'll push his story really far forwards too because there isn't much for him to do now, once he meets up with the COF. I think they're going to make Bran go to Craster's Keep which is very odd indeed.

CANT FUCKING WAIT TO SEE STANNIS FUCK OVER THE WILDLINGS I SURE HOPE ITS AS EPIC AS IT IS IN THE BOOK
[close]

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #526 on: January 13, 2014, 01:39:30 pm »
;D

Same here but kinda expected this to get bumped today what with the trailer. All talk on the ASOIAF forums are another 2-3 years... Sigh.

I only got round to the books a year or so ago so god knows how people dealt with the wait when reading them 'live', so to speak.

Can't be 3 years surely? The TV series will have caught up by then.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #527 on: January 13, 2014, 01:45:26 pm »
I'm hopeful. I think early to mid 2015 is realistic

Fortunately, we don't have anything official. I say fortunately, because GRRM got into a lot of trouble by estimating when A Dance with Dragons would be released. If you'll recall, he hoped that he would finish ADWD in 2006. Unfortunately, he ended up re-writing most of his early work on ADWD. Then later he indicated he might finish in 2008, but this also was too optimistic. For the full breakdown of ADWD, I recommend Westeros' summary.
But more than being optimistic, the delays in publication coupled with some of the estimates he gave really angered some of the fan-base. So, GRRM decided to be much more opaque about his progress for TWOW. And I think this is a good thing. It gives GRRM the ability to write at his own speed. That might anger some fans, but GRRM was pretty frustrated during the writing of ADWD on account of fans's expectations, and I think this may have had an impact on the writing progress.
Additionally, I think most fans would appreciate quality over a rushed piece. All the intricate plotting and character development which makes ASOIAF such a great series requires a lot of thinking and writing.
But to answer your question, here's what we know. GRRM began working on the book in earnest in January 2012 and cut about 100 pages from ADWD to TWOW prior to the publication of ADWD. Additionally, he's given some indication of where he's at and others associated with the HBO series have hinted at his progress. Here's a table:
Book Progress/Date   Link   Estimated Total Number Pages Written
100 pages in total cut from ADWD to TWOW July 2011   GRRM livejournal entry   100
300 additional pages written by October 2012   GRRM interviewed by Adria's News   400
"Quarter of the Way Done" by April 2013   GRRM interviewed by SciFi TV   400-500
Half of the book (Additional 300-400 pages) written by May 2013*   Liam Cunningham Interview   700-800
"George tells me he's got another one nearly ready."** December 2013   Roy Dotrice Interview   Unknown
*Liam Cunningham may have been misremembering the conversation with GRRM as George told SciFi TV that he was a quarter of the way done a month previously. Though, there exists the possibility that he was telling the public one thing and telling a different story to someone in private.
**Per the last interview with Roy, it's unclear whether he's talking about the books or the TV series, but it seems that he's referring to TWOW.
George RR Martin speculates that the book won't be ready this year (2013), but maybe next year.
In an interview with the Guardian, George RR Martin in 2011, he states that it will realistically take about 3 years to write The Winds of Winter, but it could take more time

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: January 13, 2014, 01:55:23 pm »
Can't be 3 years surely? The TV series will have caught up by then.

The end of 2015 seems likely from all the noise getting made.

I just really hope, if it is going to take longer, that they put the show on hold for a few years and then bring everyone back rather than use notes/outlines from GRRM and go their own way with it.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #529 on: January 13, 2014, 02:02:09 pm »

I just really hope, if it is going to take longer, that they put the show on hold for a few years and then bring everyone back rather than use notes/outlines from GRRM and go their own way with it.

problem with that is Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner will look so different. Bran's actor hit puberty between season 2 and 3 and his voice dropped, and it was so obvious.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #530 on: January 13, 2014, 02:05:11 pm »

I'd say there's virtually no chance of them putting it on hold. They'd more than likely just start departing from the books alot more and go their own way.

(I wouldn't be too fussed about them altering some of the ADWD stuff if truth be told, most of that book was poor)

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: January 13, 2014, 02:09:35 pm »
The makers of the show know the ending of the books anyway, and GRRM writes for the show. Wouldn't be a disaster if they overran, but I wouldn't watch the show before I'd read the book. Books are too good.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #532 on: January 13, 2014, 02:13:32 pm »
I think it's best to think of them as two separate trilogies. AGOT/ACOK built up before ASOS finished the trilogy. AFFC/ADWD and TWOW is another. TWOW is going to be fucking mint

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Online Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: January 13, 2014, 02:15:44 pm »
The makers of the show know the ending of the books anyway, and GRRM writes for the show. Wouldn't be a disaster if they overran, but I wouldn't watch the show before I'd read the book. Books are too good.
Ultimate irony when book readers try to avoid the show spoilers.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #534 on: January 13, 2014, 02:18:51 pm »
Darrio? They changed the actors (Sonny from Treme is playing him now)  so looks like could be him

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: January 13, 2014, 02:19:08 pm »
Ultimate irony when book readers try to avoid the show spoilers.

It would be so strange.

I wish they'd just done their own story in the same world. Like a Roberts Rebellion series, using their own artistic license and Georges help to fill in the blanks.

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: January 13, 2014, 02:21:06 pm »
Darrio? They changed the actors (Sonny from Treme is playing him now)  so looks like could be him

The rider is Oznak zo Pahl, charging down Darrio who has replaced Strong Belwas in that scene.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Oznak_zo_Pahl

I'm guessing book spoilers are fine in here.

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: January 13, 2014, 05:25:08 pm »
Whenever this thread pops up I just want to go back and re-read the books, even moreso with the TV show restarting soon.

I read them all back to back and so I find it hard to remember what happens in which book.

Have any of you read the books more than once? People have commented that they're more enjoyable the second time round.
~~Justice For The 96, You'll Never Walk Alone~~

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: January 13, 2014, 05:31:54 pm »
Whenever this thread pops up I just want to go back and re-read the books, even moreso with the TV show restarting soon.

I read them all back to back and so I find it hard to remember what happens in which book.

Have any of you read the books more than once? People have commented that they're more enjoyable the second time round.

Same.

I've only read them once - over the summer of 2013 I read them all in one go, was addicted.

I simply haven't got the time at the moment to re-read books that big plus I feel like I'd skip a lot of Dany chapters in the later books and most of book 4.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: January 14, 2014, 07:02:33 am »
Aye I've read them maybe three times each, apart from ADWD which I've only read once. You definitely pick up things that you've missed second (and third) time round. I usually reread a series when a new book comes out, so I read the first three books several year back and then re-read them before books 4 + 5.  I think especially with the differences between the books and TV shows it'll be important to refresh yourself on the book version before TWOW.

It would be so strange.

I wish they'd just done their own story in the same world. Like a Roberts Rebellion series, using their own artistic license and Georges help to fill in the blanks.

That'd be lovely, though I suppose there would be a few major book spoilers from yhat period that GRRM plans to reveal over the next couple of books.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #541 on: May 17, 2019, 03:33:54 pm »
How are the book readers feeling about this season? For me once the show passed the books its been varying degrees of disappointment anyway and I'm enjoying this season more than 5, 6 or 7.
Curious if anyone feels similarly?

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #542 on: May 17, 2019, 11:41:06 pm »
I have pretty much hated this season from ep 3 onwards, although if I'm being honest a lot of the issues with the writing aren't new, maybe just hoped things would pick up with the end in sight.

I mean the whole plot of the trip beyond the wall last season is fucking ludicrous if you think about it.

Most of the other book readers I know feel much the same way.

It's a shame because there is sod all chance of GRRM ever finishing the books, so this is what we are going to get. I think the ending wouldn't have been much different in the books but I like to think that the way they got there would have been a hell of a lot more coherent.

It isn't just bad writing this season, it just feels lazy, like they are phoning it in to get it out of the way.

It's not even stuff like the teleportation that annoys me (I think you pretty much need that without making the story a hell of a lot longer) , just idiotic decisions being made by supposedly intelligent characters just to get the plot to where it needs to be, nonsense like half the dothraki turning up in ep 5, everyone being certain to die in ep3 and somehow surviving at the last moment, the whole scorpion bullshit, lethal one week, pointless the next, I could go on but I would end up boring myself!

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: May 18, 2019, 06:09:19 am »
I have pretty much hated this season from ep 3 onwards, although if I'm being honest a lot of the issues with the writing aren't new, maybe just hoped things would pick up with the end in sight.

I mean the whole plot of the trip beyond the wall last season is fucking ludicrous if you think about it.

Most of the other book readers I know feel much the same way.

It's a shame because there is sod all chance of GRRM ever finishing the books, so this is what we are going to get. I think the ending wouldn't have been much different in the books but I like to think that the way they got there would have been a hell of a lot more coherent.

It isn't just bad writing this season, it just feels lazy, like they are phoning it in to get it out of the way.

It's not even stuff like the teleportation that annoys me (I think you pretty much need that without making the story a hell of a lot longer) , just idiotic decisions being made by supposedly intelligent characters just to get the plot to where it needs to be, nonsense like half the dothraki turning up in ep 5, everyone being certain to die in ep3 and somehow surviving at the last moment, the whole scorpion bullshit, lethal one week, pointless the next, I could go on but I would end up boring myself!

Ever since Dumb and Dumber gained a bit of traction and earnt the freedom to express themselves a bit more, the quality has taken a huge hit. The language of the dialogue as soon as the show started passing the books even as early as season 4 was very modern compared to the more medieval tone of the books. And that was just the start. I'm looking forward to the books more than ever now given how incredibly idiotic the show has turned out to be.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Online Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: May 18, 2019, 07:34:43 pm »
How are the book readers feeling about this season? For me once the show passed the books its been varying degrees of disappointment anyway and I'm enjoying this season more than 5, 6 or 7.
Curious if anyone feels similarly?
Somewhat yes. I enjoy the show as a guilty pleasure now, dumb fun like the Fast and Furious series.

I think if the books ever get released they will be much better , although I don't think it'll reach books 1-3 in quality
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: May 19, 2019, 12:22:02 am »
Money seems to have been spent on big battle scenes since it passed the books and only stuff like hodor which Martin had told them about has kept up the quality of when it followed the books a bit more closely. Apart from that this season has wasted the characters especially after building them up for years. Varys was the prime example for me

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #547 on: May 19, 2019, 12:35:25 am »
Money seems to have been spent on big battle scenes since it passed the books and only stuff like hodor which Martin had told them about has kept up the quality of when it followed the books a bit more closely. Apart from that this season has wasted the characters especially after building them up for years. Varys was the prime example for me
Littlefinger, Varys, Tyrion and Jamie are the clearest examples of the writers not knowing what to do with a character after they surpassed the books.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:39:43 am by Lastrador »

Offline The Last Known Survivor

• Anny Roader
« Reply #548 on: May 19, 2019, 01:22:51 am »
I thought there had been an update on the release date. Damn you people....... Damn You to hell!

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: May 20, 2019, 01:49:05 am »
Honestly I think it's been very underwritten. GRRM has given them the broad strokes and they've just slapped some CGI over it without any writing to support the action.

Meh. It's not the first show to lose its way in the final seasons and it won't be the last.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #550 on: May 20, 2019, 05:47:05 am »
He's back working on Winds...

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/05/19/more-stuff-more-nonsense/

We're never gonna get the books I feel.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: May 20, 2019, 06:02:25 am »
He's back working on Winds...

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/05/19/more-stuff-more-nonsense/

We're never gonna get the books I feel.

I think it's cute that he thinks people care about his non-ASOIAF activities, or any updates pertaining to anything unless it's "TWoW is done".

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: May 20, 2019, 10:54:55 am »
I think it's cute that he thinks people care about his non-ASOIAF activities, or any updates pertaining to anything unless it's "TWoW is done".

Yeah its always literally a quick skim for key words and phrases to do with TWoW, although with the heat the TV Show is getting recently its only going to reinforce his stance that hes right to take his time and get it right, which is probably, frustratingly, the correct course of action (or inaction).
Football is a lie

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: May 20, 2019, 11:09:44 am »
Yeah its always literally a quick skim for key words and phrases to do with TWoW, although with the heat the TV Show is getting recently its only going to reinforce his stance that hes right to take his time and get it right, which is probably, frustratingly, the correct course of action (or inaction).

Let's just hope it's worth it.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: May 20, 2019, 11:44:18 am »
Littlefinger, Varys, Tyrion and Jamie are the clearest examples of the writers not knowing what to do with a character after they surpassed the books.

I'd throw both Bran and Bronn in that list too!

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #555 on: May 20, 2019, 11:56:46 am »
Now that the show is done and the ending it out more or less, I get the feeling he will just fuck off the last book and it goes unfinished.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: May 20, 2019, 12:10:26 pm »
by the time f the last book, there's so many differences with the show. Lady Stoneheart stuff, fake aegon stuff etc etc. there's so many loose ends that he has to deal with that the show left out
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #557 on: May 20, 2019, 04:07:33 pm »
I’m a huge newcomer

Started watching when season 7 was completed

Have just seen the last episode. Seems to me the author is a lazy twat
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: May 20, 2019, 04:57:15 pm »
I’m a huge newcomer

Started watching when season 7 was completed

Have just seen the last episode. Seems to me the author is a lazy twat

Lazy?! How many 400,000+ word, 1000-page character-heavy fantasy novels have you written, tell me?

And it's not like he's been twiddling his thumbs since 2011. He's released novels and novellas alongside writing the next SIF book.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: May 20, 2019, 05:07:16 pm »
Lazy?! How many 400,000+ word, 1000-page character-heavy fantasy novels have you written, tell me?

Well that sure told him  ;D.

You're not allowed to criticise GRRM Rushy.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill