Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire  (Read 41941 times)

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #480 on: October 30, 2013, 04:03:56 pm »
Can you blame him? He's basically admitted he only started making proper money in his life once the TV show came along.

That round father christmas belly doesn't tell me he's lived a hard life ;) He has the chance to go down in history as a creator of one of the best fantasy series ever - throwing that away for some cash is such a shame, being remembered as the guy who died before finishing his masterpiece - I wouldn't ever want that being my legacy.

Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen #1) - Steven Eriksen
A Cavern of Black Ice (Sword of Shadows #1) - J.V. Jones

Just got those 2 - so hoping they are good as they are the first in a decent sized series.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #481 on: October 30, 2013, 04:07:01 pm »
Draex - The Malazan series is effin fantastic. Would definitely recommend it.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #482 on: October 30, 2013, 04:11:27 pm »
Draex - The Malazan series is effin fantastic. Would definitely recommend it.

Great - thanks, been looking for a good series to get my teeth into. Just read Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen #1) by John Gwynne, which  for a debut I thought it was cracking, room for improvement but would recommend it as the series looks like it could be worthwhile addition eventually as the 2nd book is out next year.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #483 on: October 30, 2013, 04:13:49 pm »
Can you blame him? He's basically admitted he only started making proper money in his life once the TV show came along.

He's been living a very conformable life for twenty odd years now.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: October 30, 2013, 05:21:19 pm »
Who gives a fuck how comfortable his life is or for how long it has been?

The guy is writing an epic that entertains millions. Every plot point and character arc are analysed to fuck. Can you blame him for not wanting hordes of geeks pouncing on his every possible error?

He owes you fuck all so stop whining, bitches.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: October 30, 2013, 06:17:55 pm »
Who gives a fuck how comfortable his life is or for how long it has been?

The guy is writing an epic that entertains millions. Every plot point and character arc are analysed to fuck. Can you blame him for not wanting hordes of geeks pouncing on his every possible error?

He owes you fuck all so stop whining, bitches.

He'll get a parcel of shit through his letter box if he doesn't hurry up, you can have one as well if you're on his side - it's the Liverpool way!

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #486 on: October 30, 2013, 06:21:03 pm »
Ok.  I need convincing.

I tried to read game of thrones but gave up.

It was some of the worst prose I have ever read.  Utterly awful.

What am I missing?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: October 30, 2013, 10:47:39 pm »
He'll get a parcel of shit through his letter box if he doesn't hurry up, you can have one as well if you're on his side - it's the Liverpool way!

;D

I'm not arsed mate, my eight month old shit in his bath earlier, I'm already used to it  :P

Offline Melbourne Red

• Kopite
« Reply #488 on: October 30, 2013, 11:31:12 pm »
That round father christmas belly doesn't tell me he's lived a hard life ;) He has the chance to go down in history as a creator of one of the best fantasy series ever - throwing that away for some cash is such a shame, being remembered as the guy who died before finishing his masterpiece - I wouldn't ever want that being my legacy.

Just got those 2 - so hoping they are good as they are the first in a decent sized series.

Read the first four books in the Sword of Shadows series - found them to be excellent, good characterisation & plenty of twists (been waiting a while for no 5)

Gardens of the Moon an awesome book - the series veered from outstanding to what the hell is this ;D So many forks in this road!

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: October 31, 2013, 10:25:05 am »

That malazan series is simply awesome. I never ever had more fun with any other literature in my life. In fact, I was so worried that I will run out of them (even if the writers are prolific) I only read the first 5 books and forced myself to stop.

If you are reading that series, I would suggest do that using the Tor reread series. Its cool how they avoid spoilers. I read 1-2 of the book and then the corresponding discussion before moving onto the next.

This series to me is a completely new style in the fantasy genre and so didn't quite catch on. I especially love trying to solve the puzzles and predict what comes next. Its like the quiz games - you are given some obscure hint several chapters ahead, some progressively better clues later and finally its spelled out. The first book though was written years before and so is a bit different than the later ones.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:29:01 am by Niru Red4ever »
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: October 31, 2013, 11:27:07 am »
Ok.  I need convincing.

What am I missing?

A fantastic story, hundreds of unforgettable and fantastic characters, in a massive, believable and absorbing world.

There are also the greatest, yet most heartbreaking plot twists I have ever come across in any film or book.

I started reading the books after watching the first series on TV. I would actually recommend watching the first series of the hbo series and then reading the books starting from book 2. Gets you immersed and the first season basically follows the first book perfectly. After that, the books out class the show by a mile.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: October 31, 2013, 11:30:18 am »
Ok.  I need convincing.

What am I missing?

yeah, there really is no denying the prose is awful. I found it was easier to stomach if you just consider it a script to imagining the story for yourself...
---Rilke

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: October 31, 2013, 11:37:24 am »
yeah, there really is no denying the prose is awful. I found it was easier to stomach if you just consider it a script to imagining the story for yourself...

Wouldn't say it is awful, but it certainly gets better after the beginning of the first book.

However, there is no denying that the series strengths lie with the story itself and the characters GRRM has created rather than the prose.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: November 3, 2013, 06:17:25 pm »
Finished A Dance with Dragons recently and been filling the empty void by starting Gardens of the Moon by recommendations on here. What the hell! I have no idea what's going on lol. Seems good and all but no doubt I'm missing loads cus it just seems to dump you into the deep end straight away. Hope it gets easier.
Football is a lie

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: November 3, 2013, 08:49:15 pm »
Finished A Dance with Dragons recently and been filling the empty void by starting Gardens of the Moon by recommendations on here. What the hell! I have no idea what's going on lol. Seems good and all but no doubt I'm missing loads cus it just seems to dump you into the deep end straight away. Hope it gets easier.
It will, after a long time ;D

Thats the nature of this series, and coupled to that the first book was written long before the others and it shows. One thing I will say, once you plough through it you will be more than amply rewarded.
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: November 3, 2013, 09:01:57 pm »
It will, after a long time ;D

Thats the nature of this series, and coupled to that the first book was written long before the others and it shows. One thing I will say, once you plough through it you will be more than amply rewarded.

Long time? That sounds like you mean books rather than chapters? Oh dear.
Football is a lie

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: November 3, 2013, 09:05:35 pm »
Long time? That sounds like you mean books rather than chapters? Oh dear.
In stages, you will be rewarded in this book only.

What happens is that it also builds up the setting, so in a later book you will end up revisting the incidents with a different understanding as you will find stuff is interconnected with incidents happening elsewhere. So you get bonus aha moments.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #497 on: December 8, 2013, 10:14:04 pm »
Ok.  I need convincing.

What am I missing?

GRRM is like Tolkien. Not the best writer, but creates one of the best universe you'll have the pleasure of reading. For that reason you'll probably love it, not because he's got the best writing style.

To be honest, GRRM is a better writer than Tolkien, Tolk just seemed to write awkwardly to fuck people up.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #498 on: December 8, 2013, 10:16:59 pm »
Apparently there is a preview chapter of book 6 in the paperback version of Dance with Dragons?
There's plenty of preview chapters
Spoiler
one which shows Aegon talking to Arianne, after Aegon took Storm's End, another which shows Barristan iirc about to battle in Meereen. Another with Theon talking to Stannis the Mannis where Stannis talks about how he's going to fuck the Bolton pricks up the arse.

Few others too I think
[close]

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: December 9, 2013, 01:00:53 pm »
There's plenty of preview chapters
Spoiler
one which shows Aegon talking to Arianne, after Aegon took Storm's End, another which shows Barristan iirc about to battle in Meereen. Another with Theon talking to Stannis the Mannis where Stannis talks about how he's going to fuck the Bolton pricks up the arse.

Few others too I think
[close]

Do you know where the Aegon one is mate? Only seen the Arianne one on GRRMs website

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #500 on: December 9, 2013, 01:09:26 pm »
Do you know where the Aegon one is mate? Only seen the Arianne one on GRRMs website

Refresh my memory, who is Aegon again?
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: December 9, 2013, 01:44:49 pm »
Refresh my memory, who is Aegon again?

Young Griff aka Aegon Targaryen, son of Prince Rhaegar Targaryen and Elia Martell.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Aegon_Targaryen

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #502 on: December 9, 2013, 01:45:49 pm »
God damn it! Every time I see this thread bumped it gets my hopes up as I think there's been some news on a release date.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #503 on: December 9, 2013, 01:46:44 pm »
Young Griff aka Aegon Targaryen, son of Prince Rhaegar Targaryen and Elia Martell.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Aegon_Targaryen

Ah yes.Thank you.

God damn it! Every time I see this thread bumped it gets my hopes up as I think there's been some news on a release date.

Same here mate ;D
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: December 9, 2013, 01:51:12 pm »

Me too, haven't been like this with a book series since Harry Potter!

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: December 9, 2013, 06:36:37 pm »
I've avoided all the preview chapters. Rather wait until the book comes out and have everything new. Still optimistic it will be end of next year or early 2015...
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: December 9, 2013, 10:07:41 pm »
I've avoided all the preview chapters. Rather wait until the book comes out and have everything new. Still optimistic it will be end of next year or early 2015...

Me too, think theres 6 in total but only read the Theon one at the back of Dance of Dragons. Reading Malazan book of the Fallen at the minute while impatiently waiting for Winds of Winter but to be frank, its good but its no ASOIAF. I love that shit.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2013, 10:10:29 pm by bobadicious »
Football is a lie

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: December 9, 2013, 11:41:07 pm »

I wouldn't bank on that, mate. All indications seem to point to a much later date. 2016 if we're lucky. Probably 2017 realistically.

A couple of GOT universe books got released where he was involved in a limited capacity (editing mostly and providing some writing) and he has also been doing a fair amount of media work. It's also reported that he suffers writers block and has gone through long periods without writing.

I hope you're right but I definitely wouldn't be holding my breath for a 2015 release, let alone anytime in 2014.

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: December 10, 2013, 09:05:05 am »
That malazan series is simply awesome. I never ever had more fun with any other literature in my life. In fact, I was so worried that I will run out of them (even if the writers are prolific) I only read the first 5 books and forced myself to stop.

If you are reading that series, I would suggest do that using the Tor reread series. Its cool how they avoid spoilers. I read 1-2 of the book and then the corresponding discussion before moving onto the next.

This series to me is a completely new style in the fantasy genre and so didn't quite catch on. I especially love trying to solve the puzzles and predict what comes next. Its like the quiz games - you are given some obscure hint several chapters ahead, some progressively better clues later and finally its spelled out. The first book though was written years before and so is a bit different than the later ones.

I was going to reread books 4 and 5 -  i think there's a not-entirely-legal versjon available which intersperses the two books in chronological order. I'm hoping that reading it this way would break the monotony of all those Daenerys chapters. What the fuck was he thinking with that? Even the most hardened Targ fan must be tired after reading all those. I can't for the life of me work out why he didn't introduce a new POV character to give another view on what's happening with her.

after reading this thread I think I'll go for Gardens of the Moon instead. I've had a couple of false starts and haven't quite managed to get into it. I'll need to stick with it this time though - apparently the second book is especially awesome?

If you enjoy the "puzzle" aspect of those books you might want to have a look at the Patrick Rothfuss books. He does a similar thing - introduces really important clues way before you realise the importance of what you've been told. He's only written two books so far, but they're probably my favourite fantasy books of the last 20 years.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 09:23:07 am by swordfishtrombone »

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: December 11, 2013, 01:21:20 pm »
I was going to reread books 4 and 5 -  i think there's a not-entirely-legal versjon available which intersperses the two books in chronological order. I'm hoping that reading it this way would break the monotony of all those Daenerys chapters. What the fuck was he thinking with that? Even the most hardened Targ fan must be tired after reading all those. I can't for the life of me work out why he didn't introduce a new POV character to give another view on what's happening with her.

I honestly feel by books 4/5 it's not all Martin's work - just seems so laboured and slow all the time. In the first few books I loved Daenerys, I was hoping for the all very much so cliche ending of her and Jon Snow (my other favourite) getting together and completing "Fire and Ice" but as the series went on her character just became this aweful whiney little bitch who lost all of her early strength and vulnerability - proper bastardisation of a character.

Writters block? More like golden egg of the series being so successfull - he spends most of his time re-writting for that.

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: December 11, 2013, 01:53:22 pm »
I honestly feel by books 4/5 it's not all Martin's work - just seems so laboured and slow all the time. In the first few books I loved Daenerys, I was hoping for the all very much so cliche ending of her and Jon Snow (my other favourite) getting together and completing "Fire and Ice" but as the series went on her character just became this aweful whiney little bitch who lost all of her early strength and vulnerability - proper bastardisation of a character.

I think the power and her struggles changed her. I started to dislike her more and more and I think Martin probably always planned for that. The fairy tale ending of this vulnerable character reclaiming her throne and falling for Jon Snow was never going to happen in the Westeros world.

The last two books were not as action packed but they are still good books. Everything calmed down, and had to build up  again - remember Martin originally planned for that period to be skipped over, rejoining the characters a few years later.

The plot is all set up for the next book to bring the series back to it's best.

Spoiler

Stannis vs Boltons.

Jaime & Stoneheart.

Varys in Kings Landing.

'Aegon' joining up with Dorne to attack the Lannisters & their allys.

Tyrion, Jorah, Victarion all trying to get to Dany, who is now some way away with Khal Jhaqo.

Murder at the wall.

Sansa & Little Finger.

Arya the assassin.

Davos off to find Rickon.

Sam in Oldtown with Jaqen.

Bran the greenseer & skinchanger.

Euron Greyjoy and his dragon horn.

& all the while the white walkers arent going anywhere!

[close]

Can't wait for the next book, 'urry up George lad!

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: December 12, 2013, 10:55:12 am »
Cant wait
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #512 on: December 14, 2013, 10:59:28 pm »
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/20338/20131013/winds-winter-release-date-delay-comic-con-george-r-r-martin.htm

The 2017 date is shameless fear mongering. But I do wish he'd get his head down and write the blood series before trimming it with all the addendum. People will be just as happy to buy his World of Ice and Fire nonsense after he finishes the series.

*insert disrespectful GRRM related speculation here*

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #513 on: December 14, 2013, 11:20:26 pm »
Bit ridiculous when people tell GRRM to hurry up writing. It's his bloody series! He's put 20 odd years into it, I'm sure he's as wanting it over as the rest of us

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: December 14, 2013, 11:27:44 pm »
Bit ridiculous when people tell GRRM to hurry up writing. It's his bloody series! He's put 20 odd years into it, I'm sure he's as wanting it over as the rest of us

;D

One day he's just going to go

'Ah hell, everyone will hate the ending whatever I do, I'm just going to get Hodor to King's Landing, have him light a fart off of a dragon and blow the world to smithereens, see how the fuckers like that...I'm off to Greggs...'

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #515 on: December 14, 2013, 11:47:34 pm »

Thing is, I think the man lacks discipline. He had a lot less going on in his life before he got rich and famous. Now he's got a hit TV series and is the most famous fantasy writer alive. He's a rock star of the genre. He's probably finding it difficult to juggle different distractions and priorities and, as much as he wants to finish the series, just keeps losing his focus.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: January 9, 2014, 01:12:59 pm »

Wow, I've finally got into the first book of the Malzan series - it's fantastic, taking me awhile to fully get to grips with the scope and scale (having to re-read bits a fair bit which is unusual for me) but keep having to stop myself staying up late reading (sign of a good book for me.)

Cheers for the recommendation, can see this being my project till summer completing the series!

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: January 9, 2014, 01:15:02 pm »
Once I finished the first malazan book I had to read all the rest back to back. Took me a few weeks, they're pretty massive, but enjoyed them the whole way through. It's a fantastic feat of imagination.
---Rilke

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: January 9, 2014, 01:18:03 pm »
Once I finished the first malazan book I had to read all the rest back to back. Took me a few weeks, they're pretty massive, but enjoyed them the whole way through. It's a fantastic feat of imagination.

I've ordered the whole series! The gf aint happy as I keep spending most of the evening reading now.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: January 9, 2014, 01:19:34 pm »
You could try to get her interested in the books too? :D
---Rilke