Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12290382 times)

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #99920 on: July 24, 2019, 12:26:29 pm »
Was it confirmed anywhere the full extent of the injury Glatzel got?

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #99921 on: July 24, 2019, 12:52:06 pm »
Was it confirmed anywhere the full extent of the injury Glatzel got?

I've also been looking for something more on Glatzels injury, but haven't found anything except Jürgen saying it's serious, not sure if that means he'll miss the rest of the pre-season or the rest of the season. I guess the big question is if it's the ACL or not, I really hope not.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99922 on: July 24, 2019, 07:36:13 pm »
Bit disappointed that they’ve not covered any of the academy warm up matches this summer.  The U23s wouldn’t have harmed anyone because they’ve all had previous exposure.  Saw on press box on LFC yesterday that John Bradley said Liam Millar absolutely bossed it in their last match when he was on the pitch. 

They’re meant to be playing Coventry  (from 1900).  Would have been good as a warm up to the seniors tonight. 

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99923 on: July 24, 2019, 08:29:50 pm »
Perhaps not worth watching after all.  Found a site, livescore18.com, that says it’s 0-0 in the 69th minute and we have had no shot at all, on or off target.  At least it is good practice to be playing against a senior, or representational of a senior team.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99924 on: July 25, 2019, 04:42:28 pm »
Doesn't say which ligament, but Glatzel has had surgery on his knee. Klopp wants him doing his rehab at Melwood just like Brewster so I'd imagine he'll be training full time with the first team when he's back fit.

Paul Glatzel undergoes successful surgery

Liverpool FC can confirm Paul Glatzel has successfully undergone surgery after an injury suffered in the pre-season friendly against Tranmere Rovers.

The 18-year-old will now commence his rehabilitation at Melwood at the request of manager Jürgen Klopp.

Glatzel was making his debut in the Liverpool first team when he sustained damage to a knee ligament during the second half of the game at Prenton Park on July 11.

The striker captained the U18s to FA Youth Cup victory last season, scoring the decisive penalty in the shootout that decided the final. He also broke into the U23s by the end of the campaign.

Neil Critchley, manager of Liverpool U23s, said: “Paul will receive all the support he needs from ourselves as an Academy and from the medical staff at Melwood during what will be a tough period of rehab.

“Luckily, we know Paul has the strength of character to overcome this setback and we look forward to seeing his talents back out on the pitch.”

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #99925 on: July 26, 2019, 11:49:38 pm »
Doesn't say which ligament, but Glatzel has had surgery on his knee. Klopp wants him doing his rehab at Melwood just like Brewster so I'd imagine he'll be training full time with the first team when he's back fit.
Real shame for Glatzel, had a feeling Klopp fancied him as well. Hardworking, talented finisher and good linking play. Unfortunately his injury record is already extensive for a young lad, but hopefully he makes a full recovery.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #99926 on: July 26, 2019, 11:55:20 pm »
Just me or have we heard of fewer preseason matches for the youth teams so far this summer?

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99927 on: July 27, 2019, 09:23:18 am »
Just me or have we heard of fewer preseason matches for the youth teams so far this summer?

No, I agree.  If you look at the website the U23s have played 5 and the U18s only 3, last time out being last Saturday so surely playing again today.  Still you would think more so they can get a whole squad playing minutes.  Indirectly they may be getting minutes in with so many still U18s playing up pre- season, like Bearne, o’rourke and  Ritaccio.  I wonder what the size of the new first year U18s squad is.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #99928 on: July 27, 2019, 09:39:35 am »
No, I agree.  If you look at the website the U23s have played 5 and the U18s only 3, last time out being last Saturday so surely playing again today.  Still you would think more so they can get a whole squad playing minutes.  Indirectly they may be getting minutes in with so many still U18s playing up pre- season, like Bearne, o’rourke and  Ritaccio.  I wonder what the size of the new first year U18s squad is.
That’s kind of what I’ve been wondering myself as well. We’ve heard a little bit about a couple of new boys with the u18s, like Layton Stewart, but nothing definitive on who will be taking the step up this year.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99929 on: July 28, 2019, 09:12:06 am »
Liverpool FC confirm signing of Harvey Elliott

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/358354-liverpool-fc-confirm-signing-of-harvey-elliott.

We will see if he belongs to the senior team for most of the season eventually.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99930 on: July 29, 2019, 12:32:16 pm »
Interesting that Phillips, Jones and Woodburn have all been sent to train with the U23s and aren't joining the first team in Evian. There was space for Lewis, Larouci, Elliott and Duncan though. I'm guessing with Elliott that Klopp thinks its beneficial to essentially have his induction with the first team, as it'd be quite surprising if he was now ahead of Jones/Woodburn?

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99931 on: July 29, 2019, 12:36:07 pm »
Interesting that Phillips, Jones and Woodburn have all been sent to train with the U23s and aren't joining the first team in Evian. There was space for Lewis, Larouci, Elliott and Duncan though. I'm guessing with Elliott that Klopp thinks its beneficial to essentially have his induction with the first team, as it'd be quite surprising if he was now ahead of Jones/Woodburn?

Phillips isn't near the first team - he probably needs a loan. Woodburn needs an effective loan where he shines - he's fallen back dramatically - but that is simply how it goes.

Jones will be with the u23s and likely get a chance in a cup or 2 this season - he's 18 (turns 19 in January) - so this is likely an important year for his progress.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #99932 on: July 29, 2019, 12:43:52 pm »
Can I just say...

Hoever is brilliant .... 

Could be some player that one
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99933 on: July 29, 2019, 12:58:18 pm »
Elliott was likely promised he'd be training with the first team to get him to sign over other teams and fulham. 

Jones' situation is going to depend on if he signs a new contract.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 01:01:24 pm by Chris~ »

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99934 on: July 29, 2019, 05:13:07 pm »

Seems entirely logical to me.  Jones has trained for a year and a half with the first team.  Now needs games, presumably via a loan if he signs a contract.  Woodburn the same, he missed half a season not playing last year.  The others have not trained so much with the firsts and Elliott in particular needs o understand what is involved in playing the Klopp way.  Remember Robertson, Ox, Fabinho, Keita, had to learn over time, being the best part of half a season.  That’s not to say they are proper first team squad members like those just mentioned, but they would benefit from longer training with the firsts. 

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #99935 on: July 30, 2019, 06:15:02 pm »
Elliott was likely promised he'd be training with the first team to get him to sign over other teams and fulham. 

Jones' situation is going to depend on if he signs a new contract.
What’s his contract situation and is there any reason to believe he wouldn’t extend it?

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #99936 on: July 30, 2019, 06:46:35 pm »
Woodburn has gone on loan to Oxford United

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #99937 on: July 30, 2019, 07:02:30 pm »

If he can't make it there then something is very wrong

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99938 on: July 30, 2019, 08:08:22 pm »
Yeah I think this loan move could be make or break for Ben. He really needs to impress.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99939 on: July 30, 2019, 08:44:03 pm »
Is that Ben Woodburn done as a Liverpool player then? Only 19, but this move does not seem to bode well for his long-term prospects here. 
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #99940 on: July 30, 2019, 08:46:17 pm »
Is that Ben Woodburn done as a Liverpool player then? Only 19, but this move does not seem to bode well for his long-term prospects here.

Based on literally nothing....I wonder if he’s maybe not applied himself to the level he’s needed to. He’s only 19 still, if he goes there, knuckles down and does well there’s still no reason he can’t but yeah it’s probably a little underwhelming
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #99941 on: July 30, 2019, 08:49:45 pm »
Was Origi done last year? He was definitely on the verge of being out, but he turned it around. I think the same holds true for Woodburn, if this loan doesn't work for him, he'll be out. At 19 he still has a chance, but has seemingly not developed as expected. 
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #99942 on: July 30, 2019, 09:14:42 pm »
Was Origi done last year? He was definitely on the verge of being out, but he turned it around. I think the same holds true for Woodburn, if this loan doesn't work for him, he'll be out. At 19 he still has a chance, but has seemingly not developed as expected.

Different physical profile, though. Origi is a solid athlete. Woodburn is more a technical player.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99943 on: July 30, 2019, 09:31:44 pm »
And to be fair to Origi, he had scored goals at the highest level and was a full international for a very, very good national side.

The questions about Origi, for me, have always been whether he fits the way we play and not whether he is good enough to be a top-flight player. He has proven that he is. Woodburn is yet to prove anything at all other than he looks as if he may have some potential. It worries me that no better teams seem to have been in for him, though it is possible that they may have been.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #99944 on: July 30, 2019, 09:46:12 pm »
Different physical profile, though. Origi is a solid athlete. Woodburn is more a technical player.
Fair. But I wasn't comparing the players, just their respective opportunities for having future at the club.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99945 on: July 30, 2019, 10:01:20 pm »
The quality is there with Woodburn in terms of ability, physically he's not particularly big or quick but he's smart and uses the ball well. My biggest concern for him is the possibility of becoming that jack of all trades, master of none type player. What's his best position? Is he a CM or forward? CAM? Winger? Striker? He CAN play in a few positions but where is he going to excel and what does his skillset best lend itself to?

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99946 on: July 30, 2019, 11:00:45 pm »
I can see him learning a lot at Oxford.

Offline WidnesJon

• Sworn enemy of RuncornPaul
  • Main Stander
  • Kemlyn Hughes
« Reply #99947 on: July 31, 2019, 07:06:09 am »
I can see him learning a lot at Oxford.

Get the feeling he might become self pitying and sentimental, that's the problem when you're Magdalen.

Cheers
Jon

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #99948 on: July 31, 2019, 07:47:45 am »
Get the feeling he might become self pitying and sentimental, that's the problem when you're Magdalen.

Cheers
Jon

😁

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #99949 on: July 31, 2019, 10:00:19 am »
Woodburn has fallen foul of having no outstanding physical attribute, this is always a huge obstacle for a player looking to breakthrough in their teens if they dont have either some pace, strength, stamina in their locker.

Wilson is a good comparison point for this, he's now 22 and looks capable of mixing it with full grown men in a physical sense despite not being any sort of athlete. He started looking like he was getting there when at Hull around 20/21 and now finally he's got there.

Woodburn *might* see a similar transition in around a year or so, you'd hope so.

He also needs to be in an environment and setup which will use him in central areas, because he's no wide player. But again this is hard to find when you're still built like a kid and get pushed around.

Big year for him but wouldnt be too quick to say he's finished just yet.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99950 on: July 31, 2019, 10:31:13 am »
Woodburn clearly has some very good qualities but doesn't have the combination of qualities to fill any particular role. He's too slow for a role as an attacker and doesn't have the physicality or dynamism to play in midfield. Shame really as he did look technically gifted and intelligent.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99951 on: July 31, 2019, 11:23:45 am »
Woodburn clearly has some very good qualities but doesn't have the combination of qualities to fill any particular role. He's too slow for a role as an attacker and doesn't have the physicality or dynamism to play in midfield. Shame really as he did look technically gifted and intelligent.

Are you saying he's the next Frank Lampard?
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #99952 on: July 31, 2019, 11:35:44 am »
Suprised we didn't try to offer Ben to Rangers (perhaps we did).

This really is a make or break move for Ben in terms of his overall career path let alone at Liverpool. Having to drop down to a 3rd tier club is bad enough and is fraught with risk - the type of league it is means that he won't be able to make full use of his technical abilities. Hopefully this will toughen him up mentality and physically.

He is obviously way to young to be classed as a failure, but with each loan move that doesn't come off it makes it harder to find a team willing to develop him in the right way.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99953 on: July 31, 2019, 11:42:35 am »
Suprised we didn't try to offer Ben to Rangers (perhaps we did).

I'm still thinking it's mostly an attitude thing, Saw him in some U23 games and just didn't look arsed but sometimes best player there. I think maybe Gerrard knows this

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99954 on: July 31, 2019, 02:36:29 pm »
I'm still thinking it's mostly an attitude thing, Saw him in some U23 games and just didn't look arsed but sometimes best player there. I think maybe Gerrard knows this

Let's not make things up.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99955 on: July 31, 2019, 02:45:00 pm »
Let's not make things up.

How is seeing him looking like he couldn't be bothered making things up?

Offline AshLFC

• Main Stander
« Reply #99956 on: July 31, 2019, 03:11:50 pm »
I think Robinson has done well getting him there. Hopefully he'll flourish under him and come back a better player.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99957 on: July 31, 2019, 03:17:30 pm »
How is seeing him looking like he couldn't be bothered making things up?

Because it's not true.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99958 on: July 31, 2019, 03:55:14 pm »
Because it's not true.

That he looked like he couldn't be bothered sometimes? Of course it can be true. He also looked great in U23 games, is that not true either?

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99959 on: July 31, 2019, 04:02:50 pm »