Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399613 times)

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #5640 on: February 11, 2019, 10:46:51 am »
This is the best team we have had in 30 years, without a doubt. We have challenged for the league properly just twice in those 30 years and unlike those two times, we have a club in the most healthiest position it has been, both on and off the field.

You cannot be anything other than positive. If we dont win it this season then we will challenge again next season.

Let’s just take it one season at a time, all that next year next season malarkey never seems to materialise how you’d expect it to, we need to win the league this seasons and that’s all.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #5641 on: February 11, 2019, 10:50:49 am »
All you can do is hope and expect your team to perform at the level it is capable of and thats it. There should not be a title expectation.

I moaned and whigned more than anyone when we were just battling out for fourth position because I feel we should be doing better than that.

Our squad is without doubt the second best after City and we have plenty of inprovement to come, what with our back four still very young and Fabinho and Naby Keita still fitting in. This season should not be the be all and end all.

I can't relate to this either to be honest. We're all heavily invested in this title challenge. To pretend there is no expectation to win the league in the position we're in is small-time nonsense.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5642 on: February 11, 2019, 10:51:59 am »
I am pretty certain that City side is on steroids. There is no way that a 34 year old Fernandinho can run and hassle Hazard and manage to keep up with him, just no way. Fernandinho looked finished four years ago, now with Pep's regime he looks like a peak Makelele.
I think City are certainly doping.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5643 on: February 11, 2019, 10:56:02 am »
I can't relate to this either to be honest. We're all heavily invested in this title challenge. To pretend there is no expectation to win the league in the position we're in is small-time nonsense.

How can you expect to win the league? We are not 20 points ahead and City are an amazing side.

Its not small time either. We are competing and thats all you can ask. Unlike some of you, I am not losing my mind if we dont win it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:57:59 am by a treeless whopper »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5644 on: February 11, 2019, 10:59:40 am »
Currently it’s still in our hands.

That’s crucial for me and it is on a knife edge because one defeat and it won’t be (a bit like 13/14 but with three times as many games to go).

That’s why for me a draw at United wouldn’t be terrible. I want us to win (obviously) and hope we go for it but not all out and playing into their hands. A draw there keeps things in our hands and gets our toughest remaining fixture out of the way.

I don’t t think we’ll win the last 11 after that, nor do I think City will win every game from here, but if we end each game week on top that’ll do for me.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:01:58 am by BIG DICK NICK »

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5645 on: February 11, 2019, 11:00:11 am »
Let’s just take it one season at a time, all that next year next season malarkey never seems to materialise how you’d expect it to, we need to win the league this seasons and that’s all.

I think the whole next season thing is pretty relevant in this case.  I haven't seen this stability in the club in over 30yrs.  Everytime we've gotten close to challenging since then, we've had our achievements and potential whipped from beneath our noses by shite owners etc etc.  And had to start from square one again and again.

We're healthier as a club than we've ever been.  We've got a pretty damn good squad.  No one (touch wood) wants to leave (who we want to retain).  Players want to come and be part of what we're building.  We've got a world class manager.

No matter what happens this season have to say I'm proud as fuck.  We've been brilliant.

Been waiting a long time for this and unlike all the other false dawns we've had I feel calm as anything (which is really strange in itself), even if we don't cross the line this year.

You can't guarantee anything, even us winning the league at any point, especially with a club like City and the way they have endless amounts of money pumped into them.

But honestly, this is the best position we've been in since our dominant years to consistently mount a challenge.  Very very optimistic times.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5646 on: February 11, 2019, 11:02:18 am »
How can you expect to win the league? We are not 20 points ahead and City are an amazing side.

Its not small time either. We are competing and thats all you can ask. Unlike some of you, I am not losing my mind if we dont win it.
We've had chances to be 5, 7 and 10 points clear, though. It's okay to be disappointed that we didn't take them and it's okay to be disappointed if we fall short. Losing our minds? Well, that would depend on the manner in my view.

I think it is small-time to have no expectation of winning the league when we're level on points with a game in hand in February. Sorry, but that's the attitude I would expect from a Spurs fan, not a Liverpool one. Forget who we are up against, we're a great team having a great season and it's in our hands.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:03:50 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5647 on: February 11, 2019, 11:03:31 am »

That’s why for me a draw at United wouldn’t be terrible.

Same. Avoid defeat there, and the run in proper begins. I'm not saying we will win all of last 11 games, but there's no reason we couldn't if it were necessary. And I think that's significant.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5648 on: February 11, 2019, 11:09:50 am »
We've had chances to be 5, 7 and 10 points clear, though. It's okay to be disappointed that we didn't take them and it's okay to be disappointed if we fall short. Losing our minds? Well, that would depend on the manner in my view.

I think it is small-time to have no expectation of winning the league when we're level on points with a game in hand in February. Sorry, but that's the attitude I would expect from a Spurs fan, not a Liverpool one. Forget who we are up against, we're a great team having a great season and it's in our hands.

I can assure you I dont think like a fucking Spurs fan.

No I dont have expectations of winning the league and you will have to deal with the fact that we may probably not win it.

The only expectation I have is that we challenge for it. If we didnt challenge for it next year again then I would lose my mind over it. Winning it though against a bunch of cheaters? Not sure i can expect that.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5649 on: February 11, 2019, 11:15:40 am »
I can assure you I dont think like a fucking Spurs fan.

No I dont have expectations of winning the league and you will have to deal with the fact that we may probably not win it.

The only expectation I have is that we challenge for it. If we didnt challenge for it next year again then I would lose my mind over it. Winning it though against a bunch of cheaters? Not sure i can expect that.

So you expect us to challenge for it, but you don't expect us to win it? That sounds pretty Spursy to me.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5650 on: February 11, 2019, 11:26:52 am »
So you expect us to challenge for it, but you don't expect us to win it? That sounds pretty Spursy to me.

This is not normal times here. We are not up against a side that gets 85-90 points, we are up against one that got 100 points last season and may clock up 90-95 points. Expecting that we beat that is odd.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5651 on: February 11, 2019, 11:31:16 am »
This is not normal times here. We are not up against a side that gets 85-90 points, we are up against one that got 100 points last season and may clock up 90-95 points. Expecting that we beat that is odd.

Why?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5652 on: February 11, 2019, 11:32:55 am »

I guess this kind of nonsense is why I don't enter this thread very often. Lots of people preparing themselves for disappointment when we have absolutely no idea how this is going to pan out. If it does pan out the way you think it will, you're only lying to yourself by pretending you won't be disappointed like the rest of us.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5653 on: February 11, 2019, 11:38:51 am »
More people are complaining about Clyne being let go than Coutinho last year in January :D

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5654 on: February 11, 2019, 11:43:26 am »
Also please don't post to ask for a ban. Think of that like waving an imaginary card at a referee. It's not cricket. Use the 'Report to Moderator' link at the bottom right of the post you're taking issue with.

That was a public service announcement, thank you very much for a very nice time.

It's so good having you back Roy!

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5655 on: February 11, 2019, 11:44:48 am »

I think what he’s saying is that all that can be expected of this team is a challenge, expecting us to win it is a different thing all together especially when you’re up against the likes of City.

It’s not that we expect to lose, just that it’s clearly neck and neck and is likely to remain that way until the end of the season, to ‘expect’ a win in that scenario is akin to expecting us to have beaten Madrid in Kiev last season. It may well happen but you have to accept that it may not, that’s the very definition of top level sporting competitions which are often defined by narrow margins.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5656 on: February 11, 2019, 11:55:14 am »
I guess this kind of nonsense is why I don't enter this thread very often. Lots of people preparing themselves for disappointment when we have absolutely no idea how this is going to pan out. If it does pan out the way you think it will, you're only lying to yourself by pretending you won't be disappointed like the rest of us.

Who is saying that I wont be disappointed?

I am not going to lose my mind over it though. We have an amazing side and should challenge again next year. Thats what I expect.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5657 on: February 11, 2019, 12:00:31 pm »
It's so good having you back Roy!

It’s nice to be back mate - hope you’re in finest fettle!
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #5658 on: February 11, 2019, 12:07:08 pm »

Of course it isn't. It's a two horse race with between teams that are within a whisker of each other going into the final third of the season. 

You'd have to be deluded and completely lacking in perspective to 'expect us to win' a two-horse race when the margin for error is so tight.

I expect us to be in it down to the wire. I expect the manager and the players to give it their all in every game. I expect Man City to do the same. I expect United, Spurs and every other team we play to give it everything when they play us. And I will be gutted if we don't do it.

If you 'expect us to win' then I've got some investments you might be interested in.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #5659 on: February 11, 2019, 12:15:59 pm »
We have done brilliantly so far, only losing 1 game, the players and manager deserve a lot of credit.

To be close to City given their squad and spending power is in itself a real achievement.
I still make them favourites but whatever happens the future is bright.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #5660 on: February 11, 2019, 12:16:18 pm »
Why?

I think's people are using believe and expect in the same context when they are slightly different. To me anyway.

I believe we have a good chance of winning the league this season. But I don't expect us to win the league.

For me I have belief that we can get +90 points and that may be good enough to win the league. That belief is driven by how I've seen this team grow over the last few seasons. We are now genuinely one of the best teams in Europe.

I don't expect us to win the league though. For me, saying you expect something means that you believe it's probable to happen. That if it doesn't then something unexpected must have happened. Would it really be that unexpected if, for example, we get 92 points and City got 93 points this season?

The problem I have with 'expecting' something is that if it doesn't happen the natural thing to do is look for reason whey the expected thing didn't happen. To look for things or people to blame. We've been down this path before with dire consequences.

If we get +90 points this season and don't win the league then so be it. We'd all be massively disappointed but I don't think anyone would be to blame. It'd be an indication of how good another team had been this season rather than a result of our inadequacies.  We'd get over our disappointment though and I'd believe and expect us to put up a title challenge in 2019/20.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5661 on: February 11, 2019, 12:29:32 pm »
It's largely semantics, but there's also a deeper-lying attitude issue here.

Expectation is a strong belief that something will happen or be the case.

The post I quoted said, "There should not be a title expectation." So, in other words, we should not have a strong belief that we will win the title.

Really? I'd be very disappointed if that attitude transmitted to the players, or indeed if the players had that attitude themselves. They should have a strong belief that they will win the title, because they're bloody good and it is still in their hands.

I'd like to see fans believe in them more too rather than all this "oh haven't we done so well, aren't Man City so rich and so good" stuff. Save that for if what you appear to think will happen, happens. Until then, believe. Expect, even. It won't kill you. And it won't kill them. They'll go again.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:35:27 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #5662 on: February 11, 2019, 01:11:51 pm »
More people are complaining about Clyne being let go than Coutinho last year in January :D

The Coutinho move pretty much paid for VVD and Allison. No one with any sense would complain about that.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #5663 on: February 11, 2019, 01:13:40 pm »
Still in our hands lads.

Clyne just text me to say.
Heard he also texted Jurgen last night. He's obviously a very busy man, but he told Jurgen "to let them play."
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5664 on: February 11, 2019, 01:26:02 pm »
The Coutinho move pretty much paid for VVD and Allison. No one with any sense would complain about that.

I wasn't talking about now, I was talking about the moment it happened.

Becker wasn't signed in January and we didn't sign a replacement for Coutinho either. We were after Van Dijk regardless of what happened with Coutinho.

You missed the point entirely

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #5665 on: February 11, 2019, 01:29:13 pm »
The closeness of the race means it'll be all the more glorious when we win the title. I find only tuning in for the matches and out of most football-related news and commentary whets that appetite.

Online Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5666 on: February 11, 2019, 01:39:19 pm »

There's people who have said we lost the Champions League final because we didn't have the option of Coutinho to replace Salah when he went off

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #5667 on: February 11, 2019, 01:42:56 pm »
This is like the 86 season where we won 11 out the last 12 ( drew ar Sheff Wed) ...it all started at Spurs with a last minute winner by Rush ( I can recall bedlam watching in a packed pub )

It may have been easier then , dunno, but there was zero room for a slip up, two great teams ( yes younger viewers Everton had a great team)..with WHU on the edge of it all with a sniff if bothe slipped up...sound familiar?

The point is a team of strong character and talent backed by fantastic support acheived that....we can repeat this , we have our best team in 30 years and whenever the team needs the fans , those in the ground must be there for them. Waving flags and singing nice songs wont be enough...we have to create an intimidating atmospher at all remaining games this season and give the best possible support away games.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5668 on: February 11, 2019, 01:50:11 pm »
Go to bed thinking about the league. Wake up thinking about the league. That can't be healthy.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5669 on: February 11, 2019, 01:52:55 pm »
I think what he’s saying is that all that can be expected of this team is a challenge, expecting us to win it is a different thing all together especially when you’re up against the likes of City.

It’s not that we expect to lose, just that it’s clearly neck and neck and is likely to remain that way until the end of the season, to ‘expect’ a win in that scenario is akin to expecting us to have beaten Madrid in Kiev last season. It may well happen but you have to accept that it may not, that’s the very definition of top level sporting competitions which are often defined by narrow margins.

Surely it isn't about expectation either way as that would be pure arrogance to expect a win and defeatist if the expectation is the other way. Is it not all about hope and belief?  We are equal on points with a game in hand. We have to believe in the things we can do and what is in our control. Embrace the challenge rather than fear it. Just enjoy the ride. If we come short, it will hurt but we try again. When we do eventually win it, it will be so much sweeter.
As good as Man City have been, I cannot see them (or ourselves) not dropping points. There are simply too many games to play. If they are to win every game from here, it would mean that they would have 15 consecutive wins in the league. It would be extraordinary and even though they achieved 18 wins in the first part of last season, we are at the business end of the season with knockout football as opposed to group stages where dropped points do not necessarily affect you. This is the juggernaut we are up against, so let's enjoy the ride and appreciate what we have achieved regardless of outcome. No reason why we cannot do this. Believe and support the team.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5670 on: February 11, 2019, 01:56:42 pm »
I think's people are using believe and expect in the same context when they are slightly different. To me anyway.

I believe we have a good chance of winning the league this season. But I don't expect us to win the league.

For me I have belief that we can get +90 points and that may be good enough to win the league. That belief is driven by how I've seen this team grow over the last few seasons. We are now genuinely one of the best teams in Europe.

I don't expect us to win the league though. For me, saying you expect something means that you believe it's probable to happen. That if it doesn't then something unexpected must have happened. Would it really be that unexpected if, for example, we get 92 points and City got 93 points this season?

The problem I have with 'expecting' something is that if it doesn't happen the natural thing to do is look for reason whey the expected thing didn't happen. To look for things or people to blame. We've been down this path before with dire consequences.

If we get +90 points this season and don't win the league then so be it. We'd all be massively disappointed but I don't think anyone would be to blame. It'd be an indication of how good another team had been this season rather than a result of our inadequacies.  We'd get over our disappointment though and I'd believe and expect us to put up a title challenge in 2019/20.

Agree.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5671 on: February 11, 2019, 01:57:01 pm »
That City win was omnibus and sucked a bit of the joy (at least for me) out of our win. But, the bottom line is, they can win every game 20-0 as long as Liverpool win 12 games or win 11 and draw 1 what City do will make no difference.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #5672 on: February 11, 2019, 01:57:13 pm »
Go to bed thinking about the league. Wake up thinking about the league. That can't be healthy.
Days of our lives mate.
It's an exciting time this. We have a real chance here, but even if we blow it, it's still a ride.

The rush of looking forward to the next game is just so addictive. ;D
You know that if we draw this one, it's highly likely that we'll set it right in the next game. Then when we win, you know it's highly likely we'll win the next game again. Win, win, win..
There is automatic, continuous optimism(unless some poor sod chooses not to be).

Such a refreshing difference to what we've become used to.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 02:01:37 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5673 on: February 11, 2019, 02:03:22 pm »
I wish I could sit all of you down over a pint and implore you to keep the heads! It's very important to remember some key points:
This team garnered a total of 75 points last year
They are on pace to break the 90 points barrier this year
Whether that wins the league or not, the reality is that it will represent substantial improvement
A tilt at the CL has been followed by a tilt at the league
We are always results orientated in sports, but the progress is there whether we win the big trophy or not
Our platform and minimums have gone up so much in the space of four years it's astonishing

If you can get into this head space then you'll find this period far more enjoyable and satisfying. City are incredibly formidable opposition, just like Madrid in the final last May were. It's not a binary position of success / failure; winning mentality / bottle. We might lose the title with a great points total that would have won most titles and be right to be delighted with the season overall. Infact, that's a very possible outcome from here.

Think about the moving pieces in the background. The club are starting to pay and lock up the core of this team. A young core with years to come. Our manager has demonstrated a constant progression and evolution of tactical approach and squad depth. This summer we will be in the best position we've been in since sometime in the 80's in terms of the depth of the project as a whole. Commercially, coaching wise, squad wise - it will be the best platform we've had.

That's not to say the title wouldn't be phenomenal. Of course it would be. Just as winning last May would have been amazing. But what was true last May will be true this May: progress is a sum of the bigger picture. It is not about the ultimate result of a specific competition or a subset of games within that competition.

Get into this head space and you'll start to float above the action just a little.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #5674 on: February 11, 2019, 02:10:51 pm »
Currently it’s still in our hands.

Even if it gets to a point that it’s not though, we need to not start shitting ourselves. There were people after the West Ham game giving it ‘well that’s that then’  ::)

There’s a long way to go, if we do get to a point that it’s not in our hands we still need to be confident that we can take advantage of any slip ups.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #5675 on: February 11, 2019, 02:15:19 pm »
Gonna run the table starting with battering the Mancs.

Any questions?
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5676 on: February 11, 2019, 02:19:50 pm »
I wish I could sit all of you down over a pint and implore you to keep the heads! It's very important to remember some key points:
This team garnered a total of 75 points last year
They are on pace to break the 90 points barrier this year
Whether that wins the league or not, the reality is that it will represent substantial improvement
A tilt at the CL has been followed by a tilt at the league
We are always results orientated in sports, but the progress is there whether we win the big trophy or not
Our platform and minimums have gone up so much in the space of four years it's astonishing

If you can get into this head space then you'll find this period far more enjoyable and satisfying. City are incredibly formidable opposition, just like Madrid in the final last May were. It's not a binary position of success / failure; winning mentality / bottle. We might lose the title with a great points total that would have won most titles and be right to be delighted with the season overall. Infact, that's a very possible outcome from here.

Think about the moving pieces in the background. The club are starting to pay and lock up the core of this team. A young core with years to come. Our manager has demonstrated a constant progression and evolution of tactical approach and squad depth. This summer we will be in the best position we've been in since sometime in the 80's in terms of the depth of the project as a whole. Commercially, coaching wise, squad wise - it will be the best platform we've had.

That's not to say the title wouldn't be phenomenal. Of course it would be. Just as winning last May would have been amazing. But what was true last May will be true this May: progress is a sum of the bigger picture. It is not about the ultimate result of a specific competition or a subset of games within that competition.

Get into this head space and you'll start to float above the action just a little.

If I can add to this.
We have built a side that has the expectation of winning every time they set foot onto the pitch. Anfield has become a fortress. The scary thing is that we have room for improvement and our squad is young. We are starting to dine with the elite of Europe as of right. I believe we can compete on both fronts. There is no one we should fear.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5677 on: February 11, 2019, 02:21:15 pm »
At the start of the season I was expecting improvement, whatever they may be, I didn't expect us to challenge for the title considering City's squad. The fact that we are says how well we are doing.

Offline TheMightyReds

• Full of B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T ;)
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #5678 on: February 11, 2019, 02:39:23 pm »
I wonder how many pages this will get to by 13 May 2019.
I'll guess 230.

Anyway;

1. Beleive
2. Relax
3. YNWA
4. Beat ManU and then see how that affects ManC.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5679 on: February 11, 2019, 02:43:43 pm »
I've just clocked that the next run of fixtures go tuesday - sunday - wednesday - sunday. City are similar - weds - sun [cup final] - weds - sat.

They'll prepare by playing on a fucking swamp against Newport. We're off to sunny spain. Will be very interesting to see how things are looking after that little run.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.