Author Topic: 2019 County Cricket Thread  (Read 15831 times)

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 2019 County Cricket Thread
« Reply #40 on: July 3, 2019, 08:50:36 am »
Meanwhile Sibley scores a double ton. He’s surely next in line.

He's got a first class average of 37.45 after 59 matches, he's had two centuries (including that double) and four scores over fifty this season. So yeah why not?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/519082.html
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #41 on: July 3, 2019, 03:54:25 pm »
Yorks require 5 more wickets in the last session, Surrey 150 runs. Nicely poised if Surrey decide to go for it. Also a chance for young Coad to remind the selectors.....
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #42 on: July 3, 2019, 04:20:59 pm »
Yorks require 5 more wickets in the last session, Surrey 150 runs. Nicely poised if Surrey decide to go for it. Also a chance for young Coad to remind the selectors.....

Similar scenario for Lancs to win against Durham in the neutral territory of Sedbergh (Cumbria, formerly Yorkshire!).

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 3, 2019, 04:29:33 pm »
Similar scenario for Lancs to win against Durham in the neutral territory of Sedbergh (Cumbria, formerly Yorkshire!).

West-Riding of Yorkshire too, even tho it's way-oop North.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: July 3, 2019, 08:43:26 pm »

I was listening to some of commentary on this one this morning on Long Wave and Martin Emmerson of BBC Radio Newcastle mentioned that he'd got caught up in the sheep-moving rush hour earlier that morning whilst travelling to the ground.
 ;D

I also heard earlier this week on BBC Radio Merseyside that it was quite controversial to play the match there rather than Aigburth, Southport or even Blackpool. Anyway, I'm sure the sheep appreciated it!
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #45 on: July 4, 2019, 07:06:07 am »
He's got a first class average of 37.45 after 59 matches, he's had two centuries (including that double) and four scores over fifty this season. So yeah why not?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/519082.html

I believe they will definitely select Roy to open the batting against Ireland at Lord's in a few weeks.

Number 3 is the open position: anyone of Denly, Ballance, Sibley, Northeast and Malan can grab that slot if they want. Vince might have been in with a chance before the World Cup, but fairly or unfairly he's squandered that now, I guess.

Denly's the man in possession and he scored a matchwinning century against Notts a fortnight ago. However, he's not a long-term option and his technique will be tested to the fullest by Starc, Hazlewood and Cummins. I have my doubts whether he'd survive that test.

Knowing England though, they probably won't drop any of their all-rounders and offer up someone like Moeen Ali or Ben Stokes as the sacrificial lamb.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #46 on: July 4, 2019, 08:52:12 am »
Modern and Stokes are all rounders though. Neither of those are being dropped for the tests especially with Moeen as our number 1 spinner in the format.

Ballance and Malan need to be nowhere near the test team. I know Ballance scores CC runs but he's Ramprakash/Hick mark 2.

They'd be stupid not to pick Roy, hes got that x factor that will terrify opposition bowlers a lot like Pietersen had when he first came in.

Jimmy was also on Twitter saying his injury is a minor injury. Either way I'd leave him out of the Ireland test and make sure hes ready for the Ashes. They can play Archer instead.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #47 on: July 4, 2019, 09:08:41 am »
Agree on resting Jimmy. Assuming we had to pick our strongest team I think the bowlers would be Jimmy, Broad, one more seamer, Stokes and Moeen.

Does that mean there’s only one slot for Archer, Wood, Woakes, Sam Curran to fight over? Read someone (Derek Pringle maybe?!) day Curran is only really a viable option in England and might be best being kept as an understudy for Stokes rather than be picked as a frontline seamer. He has done well when called upon though, especially if conditions are right.
« Last Edit: July 4, 2019, 09:10:54 am by BIG DICK NICK »

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #48 on: July 4, 2019, 09:12:35 am »
Modern and Stokes are all rounders though. Neither of those are being dropped for the tests especially with Moeen as our number 1 spinner in the format.

Ballance and Malan need to be nowhere near the test team. I know Ballance scores CC runs but he's Ramprakash/Hick mark 2.

They'd be stupid not to pick Roy, hes got that x factor that will terrify opposition bowlers a lot like Pietersen had when he first came in.

Jimmy was also on Twitter saying his injury is a minor injury. Either way I'd leave him out of the Ireland test and make sure hes ready for the Ashes. They can play Archer instead.

I don't disagree that Moeen or Stokes can't be dropped. The problem is that neither Bairstow nor Root seem inclined to bat at 3. If they are set on picking Buttler in the middle order as well, someone needs to bat at 3. I just don't think that should be Moeen or Stokes. I'd tell Root to get on with it and take responsibility.
'Sold a couple once.'

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #49 on: July 4, 2019, 09:25:48 am »
I'd be surprised if it's a 'full strength' side vs ireland

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: July 4, 2019, 10:55:00 am »
I'd be surprised if it's a 'full strength' side vs ireland

I was thinking that. You'd imagine players who featured in the WC would be given a rest.

Also, with it being a 4 day game I assume it's not actually a test match?
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #51 on: July 4, 2019, 11:38:18 am »
I don't disagree that Moeen or Stokes can't be dropped. The problem is that neither Bairstow nor Root seem inclined to bat at 3. If they are set on picking Buttler in the middle order as well, someone needs to bat at 3. I just don't think that should be Moeen or Stokes. I'd tell Root to get on with it and take responsibility.

We've been through this a million times though and Root doesn't like batting at 3. He also averages 8 runs an innings less at 3 than he does at 4. Playing him at 3 significantly reduces his batting ability so telling him to get on with it isn't an option at all.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #52 on: July 4, 2019, 11:41:30 am »
I was thinking that. You'd imagine players who featured in the WC would be given a rest.

Also, with it being a 4 day game I assume it's not actually a test match?

The ICC approved test status for 4-day matches a couple of years ago, so this will fully count in the records. From memory, I think it will be second official 4-day test (SA vs Zimbabwe was the first).
'Sold a couple once.'

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 5, 2019, 08:58:33 am »
The ICC approved test status for 4-day matches a couple of years ago, so this will fully count in the records. From memory, I think it will be second official 4-day test (SA vs Zimbabwe was the first).

I really don't like the sound of 4-day matches as its the thin edge of the for me. However if it's just to get the new test playing nations more matches rather than going towards official ranking points, I guess it's fine. It does look like for the new ICC World Test Championship they will only allow five day games but series of less than five matches are allowed which I suppose mirrors the current situation in the Test Championship. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9321_ICC_World_Test_Championship

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #54 on: July 5, 2019, 09:25:03 am »
We've been through this a million times though and Root doesn't like batting at 3. He also averages 8 runs an innings less at 3 than he does at 4. Playing him at 3 significantly reduces his batting ability so telling him to get on with it isn't an option at all.

So who'd you have at 3 then ?
'Sold a couple once.'

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #55 on: July 5, 2019, 11:43:58 am »
No idea. Denly has only played 2 tests so probably deserves more chances. I know he's 33 but tests careers can last into your late 30s and if it gives the chance for someone younger to develop in the county game then it helps.

I'd have Jason Roy opening with someone else though

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #56 on: July 7, 2019, 02:59:59 pm »
Nice to see Olly Stone take a 5-fer on his first-class return after a stress fracture of the back. Given his pace, he is definitely one to be nurtured carefully by the ECB.
'Sold a couple once.'

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: July 8, 2019, 12:41:38 pm »
Yorkshire in a spot of bother against Essex, who are in great form.

Yorkshire were bowled out for 208 on day one and on day 2 Essex are currently 167/3

League leaders Somerset on top against Notts, who are yet to win a game this season.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #58 on: July 8, 2019, 01:08:02 pm »
Another half century for Crawley at Kent, looks a very good opening batsman.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: July 8, 2019, 02:20:50 pm »
The mystery of what happened to Hameed deepens.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #60 on: July 8, 2019, 02:32:10 pm »
The mystery of what happened to Hameed deepens.

Just saw that. 2/2, him and Jennings gone cheaply again. Chasing around 400 this time as well so for once our bowlers haven’t done the damage up front.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: July 8, 2019, 06:03:23 pm »
Yorkshire sinking fast. Shame.

33/3

87 needed to avoid an innings defeat.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: July 9, 2019, 06:43:38 am »
Just saw that. 2/2, him and Jennings gone cheaply again. Chasing around 400 this time as well so for once our bowlers haven’t done the damage up front.

Cheaply?? They've both been bowled out for a duck in their last TWO innings, that isn't good from your opening pair. At least Jennings has had a couple of scores this season but Hameed has been woeful, his highest score has been 30 and has struggled to get to double figures in most matches.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #63 on: July 9, 2019, 08:51:02 am »
Hameed averages more than Jennings in the CC this season and his highest score is 117. He's also scored more runs in less innings than Jennings. Jennings highest score is 97. He's been better than Jennings.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #64 on: July 9, 2019, 09:13:14 am »
Sibley and Crawley (not John) have a chance to impress for the Lions in the warm-up match against Australia next week.

Potentially also an opportunity for Jack Leach to fashion an advantage with his metronomic left-arm spin. He's not been in the best of form for Somerset this season though.
'Sold a couple once.'

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: July 9, 2019, 11:14:07 am »
Hameed averages more than Jennings in the CC this season and his highest score is 117. He's also scored more runs in less innings than Jennings. Jennings highest score is 97. He's been better than Jennings.

Aye, they were only showing his last eight innings on the espn stats, it looks like they are ranked 63 and 95 respectively in the Division 2 rankings.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #66 on: July 9, 2019, 11:34:30 am »
Aye, they were only showing his last eight innings on the espn stats, it looks like they are ranked 63 and 95 respectively in the Division 2 rankings.

I always go to the BBC for the year on year averages as it's fairly accurate and you can choose by team. Either way they've both been crap! Such a shame for Hameed as he could have had it all.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: July 9, 2019, 11:36:10 am »
Yorkshire 5 down.

62 more needed to avoid an innings defeat. Which will be Essex's 4th innings win in the last 5 games. The drew the other against league leaders (for now) Somerset.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: July 9, 2019, 12:04:53 pm »
I always go to the BBC for the year on year averages as it's fairly accurate and you can choose by team. Either way they've both been crap! Such a shame for Hameed as he could have had it all.

Yeah I know and that's the strange thing about Jennings too in that whenever I've watched him in first class games including one day-ers, he looks very good technically and yet has really struggled when he's been asked to step up to the next level.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: July 9, 2019, 12:07:42 pm »
Alex Davies currently 145 n.o. for Lancs.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #70 on: July 9, 2019, 01:34:41 pm »
Alex Davies currently 145 n.o. for Lancs.

Well jinxed Yoder. Davies our for 147 and lost the last 6 wickets for next to nothing after you posted that!

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: July 9, 2019, 01:46:44 pm »
Well jinxed Yoder. Davies our for 147 and lost the last 6 wickets for next to nothing after you posted that!

Good at predicting wickets, I am.  Yeesssssss.

The only real surprise was that he didn't loose his wicket immediately after I pressed the 'post' button.

;D ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2019, 04:01:32 pm »
Haseeb Hameed 50* not out klaxon. Lancs 165/3 at Tea in the final day. Can’t win, ‘just’ need to bat out for the draw.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2019, 02:20:34 pm »
Haseeb Hameed 50* not out klaxon. Lancs 165/3 at Tea in the final day. Can’t win, ‘just’ need to bat out for the draw.

That's good but he does need to demonstrate some consistency.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2019, 02:23:54 pm »
Sussex 123/9 * (44.4 ov)

Lancashire Yet to Bat

Glenn Maxwell of all people getting four wickets! With young Matt Parkinson getting a 5-for too! I assume James Anderson won't play again for Lancashire before the Ashes which is probably a wise move.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2019, 02:33:01 pm »
Sussex 123/9 * (44.4 ov)

Lancashire Yet to Bat

Glenn Maxwell of all people getting four wickets! With young Matt Parkinson getting a 5-for too! I assume James Anderson won't play again for Lancashire before the Ashes which is probably a wise move.

Anderson's a slight doubt for the first test, so he won't be playing the Ireland test either.
'Sold a couple once.'

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2019, 03:01:48 pm »
Sussex 123/9 * (44.4 ov)

Lancashire Yet to Bat

Parkinson finished with 6/23. No idea why he hasn’t played more this season (might have been injured, got a smack to the face didn’t he?). I know the seamers have played well but they picked Parry over him in the last game.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2019, 03:11:59 pm »
Parkinson finished with 6/23. No idea why he hasn’t played more this season (might have been injured, got a smack to the face didn’t he?). I know the seamers have played well but they picked Parry over him in the last game.

Yes very impressive from Parkinson, I assume Parry was the preferred a spin option as they have so many seamers to choose from. I notice Hameed drops to 3 when Alex Davies plays so he must be the preferred opener, I hadn't clocked that before. I'm not sure of the stats but perhaps Hameed gets better scores at three? 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 03:43:56 pm by Yosser0_0 »

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2019, 08:51:27 pm »
Sussex 127 & 15/0 * (4 ov)

Lancashire 494/6d

Stumps, day 2 of 4.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2019, 04:39:13 pm »
Sussex 127 & 15/0 * (4 ov)

Lancashire 494/6d

Stumps, day 2 of 4.

Lancs win by an innings. 10 wickets in the match for Parkinson.