Author Topic: Eddie Howe  (Read 84898 times)

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Eddie Howe and AFC Bournemouth - Welcome to the Premier League
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2016, 11:59:27 am »
Iturbe was brilliant at Verona though, you can't just judge him on his time at Roma. He played deeper for Hellas Verona and seems to be more dynamic in that transition from defence to attack - a superb counter attacking player who does better in teams who aren't dominating possession and matches in general. that should suit Bournemouth very well.

No shit he has been a disappointment at Roma, he is their 4th record transfer behind Batistuta, Cassano and Montella. 18 months later he's loaned out.
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2016, 12:21:53 pm »
Didn't think they could afobe it.

Yes, I'm that bad.

I hope he does a couple of somersaults after he scores.  He could be Afobe Acrobat

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2016, 12:35:41 pm »
Wilson out for the season, Murray a bit of a waste of space and King can play as a wide forward I think? Was Grabban playing much for Norwich?

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2016, 01:06:34 pm »
Was Grabban playing much for Norwich?

Nope, possibly due to going on strike in the summer to try to force transfer back to Bournemouth.

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2016, 01:22:02 pm »
The narrative some try to push of Bournemouth being some kind of fairy tale story is of course nonsense. They have a net spend of ~£40m this season already, and were one of the biggest spenders in the Championship (and league one) despite such small income.

You can point to Eddie Howe's impressive coaching, but the true star seeing them to the top is the rich Russian fella pouring millions and millions into the club. Personally hope they go down and get replaced by a bigger club like Derby or Boro

It is a fairytale to an extent though. They've been five minutes away from going bankrupt in the last 20 years, twice.
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline BigAl24

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2016, 01:22:24 pm »
Think they inserted a 20% sell on when they initially sold him to Norwich.

It seems hefty however he knows the Bournemouth playing system better than most and fits like a glove. If he scores the goals to keep them in the league then that £7m is soon a bargain.

I also posted this in the transfer window thread about Grabban.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #166 on: January 12, 2016, 05:43:34 pm »
The prices for Grabban and Afobe are eye-watering, when you consider they haven't done much at PL level. The only potentially smart thing about them is they would both most likely stay if they got relegated

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
  • Upper Centenary Boys - We Are Here
    • Live Online Footy at a bargain price
« Reply #167 on: January 12, 2016, 10:30:04 pm »
The narrative some try to push of Bournemouth being some kind of fairy tale story is of course nonsense. They have a net spend of ~£40m this season already, and were one of the biggest spenders in the Championship (and league one) despite such small income.

You can point to Eddie Howe's impressive coaching, but the true star seeing them to the top is the rich Russian fella pouring millions and millions into the club. Personally hope they go down and get replaced by a bigger club like Derby or Boro

Your facts there are so far out lad its unreal

;D
Season Ticket Holder in 2011.  A 16 year wait for a top seat in CE6.

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: January 12, 2016, 10:43:17 pm »
Last season:

GK Boruc - Loan from Southampton

DR Francis - Signed from Charlton in League One - £100k
DL Daniels - Signed from Orient in League One - £200K
DC Cook - Signed from Brighton in League One - £200K
DC Elphick - Signed from Brighton in League One - 100K

AMR Ritchie - Signed from Swindon in League One - 450k
MC Arter - Signed from Woking in League Two - 5k
MC Surman - Signed from Norwich 800K
AML Pugh - Signed from Hereford in League Two - 100K

AMC Kermorgant - Signed from Charlton - 500K

ST Wilson - Signed from Coventry - 3 million  (Grabban was sold to Norwich for same amount)

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: January 12, 2016, 10:45:44 pm »
Your facts there are so far out lad its unreal

;D

Not really:

-They were the biggest spenders in league 1
-They massively overspent what they should be able to in the Championship
-They've spent nearly £40m net this season already

For comparisons sake, their net spend is twice as big as Liverpool's this season.

http://www.cityam.com/214581/how-bournemouths-promotion-push-was-funded-russian-millionaire

It's nothing unique to see a team bankrolled by an owner, it's just funny to see the narrative somehow got attached to them that they're an amazing story achieving success out of nowhere
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:48:37 pm by Crosby Wych »
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2016, 11:06:54 pm »
Pretty sure I read that they had 14th highest wage bill last season in the Championship too.

The owner pumped in 25 million since he arrived on the scene.  That's running costs not transfer fees by the way.

All of that was recouped by him in a recent sale of shares to American investors.

If you call 25 million bankrolling fair enough.  He took a gamble and its paid off.  There's plenty of Championship clubs ploughing that sort of money in and getting nowhere.  There's no big TV money in the Championship.

I find it funny as fook that people try and pick holes in an outstanding achievement - Usually fans of 'big clubs' like Brighton, Ipswich, Wolves, Norwich and Watford.  The story is far from ended too.  New stadium plans due to be announced this month. The new investors from America are not in it just to plough money in.  They want to see growth on their investment - Which with such a quality manager and premiership survival will flourish.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2016, 11:10:44 pm »
Pretty sure I read that they had 14th highest wage bill last season in the Championship too.

The owner pumped in 25 million since he arrived on the scene.  That's running costs not transfer fees by the way.

All of that was recouped by him in a recent sale of shares to American investors.

If you call 25 million bankrolling fair enough.  He took a gamble and its paid off.  There's plenty of Championship clubs ploughing that sort of money in and getting nowhere.  There's no big TV money in the Championship.

I find it funny as fook that people try and pick holes in an outstanding achievement - Usually fans of 'big clubs' like Brighton, Ipswich, Wolves, Norwich and Watford.  The story is far from ended too.  New stadium plans due to be announced this month. The new investors from America are not in it just to plough money in.  They want to see growth on their investment - Which with such a quality manager and premiership survival will flourish.

As the above figures show, they've been some of the biggest spends in league 1, the championship and now the Prem, despite some of the smallest income. As I said there's many teams that do it, but fairy tale it is not
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2016, 11:22:10 pm »
The cost of their squad, and their wage bill, compared to the vast majority of the rest of the league is absolutely minuscule. It's not a miracle but it's still mighty impressive, especially considering they try to play good football.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2016, 11:27:04 pm »
The cost of their squad, and their wage bill, compared to the vast majority of the rest of the league is absolutely minuscule. It's not a miracle but it's still mighty impressive, especially considering they try to play good football.

I'm talking about their rise from League 1 to the Prem

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2016, 11:28:13 pm »
As the above figures show, they've been some of the biggest spends in league 1, the championship and now the Prem, despite some of the smallest income. As I said there's many teams that do it, but fairy tale it is not

But those figures are shite lad?!  Fairy tale it is!  I would have a good bet that you won't see another side reach the Premiership with a 12000 capacity stadium EVER

;D

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2016, 11:29:33 pm »
I'm talking about their rise from League 1 to the Prem

Where is this massive spending in League One for starters?

There isn't any!

;D

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2016, 11:35:01 pm »
But those figures are shite lad?!  Fairy tale it is!  I would have a good bet that you won't see another side reach the Premiership with a 12000 capacity stadium EVER

;D

If they get funded by a rich Russian bloke they might.

Look, if they'd spent within their means they wouldn't be in the league right now nothing wrong with admitting that, i've already posted a link to the figures above, but this is just going in circles so i'll leave it there

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2016, 11:52:00 pm »
If they get funded by a rich Russian bloke they might.

Look, if they'd spent within their means they wouldn't be in the league right now nothing wrong with admitting that, i've already posted a link to the figures above, but this is just going in circles so i'll leave it there

Everyone forgets the 6 million from Lallana sell-on clause too.  They pretty much bought in what they sold.  In football terms money they have spent is miniscule.

Fuck knows how much Derby and Boro have spent this year in a desperate attempt to get into the promised land - But it's massive and way above anything Bournemouth spent up till last season.

This years incomings:

Mings - 8 million - Injured in first appearance - out for the season
Gradel - 7 million - Injured in August - back in March - Maybe
Boruc - Free
Distin - Free
Murray - 3.5 million
Grabban - 7 million (But Bournemouth had a 30% sell on clause so knock that off the fee)
Iturbe - 1 million Loan deal to end of season
Afobe - 9 million
Federici - Free
Tomlin - 3 million
King - 3 million

So there's your 41.5 million this year.  11 players.  All of that financed by TV money.  How much did Benteke cost LFC again? 

;D

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2016, 12:06:22 am »
Their net spend in last season in  championship was zero.
So bizzare to say that they bought their way to success

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2016, 12:07:14 am »
Everyone forgets the 6 million from Lallana sell-on clause too.  They pretty much bought in what they sold.  In football terms money they have spent is miniscule.

Fuck knows how much Derby and Boro have spent this year in a desperate attempt to get into the promised land - But it's massive and way above anything Bournemouth spent up till last season.

This years incomings:

Mings - 8 million - Injured in first appearance - out for the season
Gradel - 7 million - Injured in August - back in March - Maybe
Boruc - Free
Distin - Free
Murray - 3.5 million
Grabban - 7 million (But Bournemouth had a 30% sell on clause so knock that off the fee)
Iturbe - 1 million Loan deal to end of season
Afobe - 9 million
Federici - Free
Tomlin - 3 million
King - 3 million

So there's your 41.5 million this year.  11 players.  All of that financed by TV money.  How much did Benteke cost LFC again? 

;D

And how much did Sterling get sold for? And what's our income per year compared to theirs?

Net is a much more useful figure when discussing how much a team is spending.

As I said, there's nothing wrong with spending money, but don't try to feed me a narrative of poor little Bournemouth when they're spending outside of their means due to a rich owner.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2016, 12:09:45 am »

And how much did Sterling get sold for? And what's our income per year compared to theirs?

Net is a much more useful figure when discussing how much a team is spending.

As I said, there's nothing wrong with spending money, but don't try to feed me a narrative of poor little Bournemouth when they're spending outside of their means due to a rich owner.

How have they spend outside of their means if their net spend last season is zero ?

Quote from Howe

Our net trading from transfer fees in the summer was zero so to suggest we have built our success on money, I don’t buy and it’s factually incorrect so I would like to put that straight.”

http://m.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/12872394.AFC_Bournemouth__Howe_hits_back_at_McCarthy_s_money_claims/

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: January 13, 2016, 12:12:43 am »

How have they spend outside of their means if their net spend last season is zero ?

Quote from Howe

http://m.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/12872394.AFC_Bournemouth__Howe_hits_back_at_McCarthy_s_money_claims/

The rich Russian owner has put £25 million of his own money into it to cover losses and pay for their way up from league 1 to the Prem. That's the very definition of spending outside their means

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: January 14, 2016, 11:49:45 am »
Didn't Bournemouth breach FFP rules?

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #183 on: March 13, 2016, 08:15:01 am »
Looks like they're all but safe now. Credit to Eddie Howe for leading a team with little Premier League experience to what looks like being a comfortable mid table finish.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #184 on: March 13, 2016, 09:35:26 am »
3 wins on the trot and 8 wins out of their last 16 ..made up for them, just hope they can maintain it now but they have a very tough run in. If they can stay up it'd be the feel-good story of the season. along with Leicester winning the title obviously ;
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #185 on: March 13, 2016, 09:49:24 am »
Happy for them because they play nice football. Relatively. Not your average side that has just being promoted.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: March 13, 2016, 10:32:02 am »

Quote from Howe

If it keeps a football dinosaur like McCarthy out of the premier league then i'm all for it.

Looks like Bournemouth have help towards another dinosaur in Big Sam go down as well.

Eddie Howe the slayer of football dinosaurs.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: March 13, 2016, 08:01:06 pm »
Fabulous achievement.  I just need it to be mathematically sorted and I have one ST at Anfield paid for with my winnings from the bookies.

Currently 6th on form since 1st December and 6 points behind Leicester.  My bet next season will be for them to qualify for Europe.  They will only improve. 

;D :wellin

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #188 on: March 13, 2016, 08:07:49 pm »
Fabulous achievement.  I just need it to be mathematically sorted and I have one ST at Anfield paid for with my winnings from the bookies.

Currently 6th on form since 1st December and 6 points behind Leicester.  My bet next season will be for them to qualify for Europe.  They will only improve. 

As long as they keep Eddie Howe they'll be ok next season, perfect antidote to Pulis & his Sunday park football tactics.
#Sausages

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: March 13, 2016, 08:14:44 pm »
When Eddie Howe first took over they had just been beat by Blyth Spartans in the FA Cup and were bottom of the football league with a -17 point deduction and a transfer embargo.  I read somewhere that they didn't have enough players to fill the subs bench and had to get permission from some of their youth teams headmasters to miss school so they could travel for midweeks away games and take a place on the bench.

Now on the verge of around 130 million from TV money for next season.

Fucking outrageous really

;D

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: March 13, 2016, 09:21:09 pm »
Absolutely brilliant achievement by Bournemouth this year. Similar somewhat to how Rodgers consolidated a good Premier League position with Swansea when they got promoted, in addition to playing a similarly modern attractive brand of football.

Eddie Howe's a great young manager, and has no trace of arrogance or hubris about him. Definitely one of the managers of the year. Please England, give us more Eddie Howes' and less neanderthals like Fat Sam.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #191 on: March 13, 2016, 09:28:32 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2XK0RImTvh0&amp;ab_channel=wotnochips" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2XK0RImTvh0&amp;ab_channel=wotnochips</a>
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #192 on: March 14, 2016, 12:48:32 am »
Eddie Howe and AFC Bournemouth are credit to the Premier League. I wish all teams that com up were like that... They should look to get established for a few years and then push for a trophy, it's not beyond them.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: March 14, 2016, 10:51:15 am »

Were the odds really that good? I had them down for about 15th before the season. Should've had a go!
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: July 11, 2016, 10:21:33 pm »
I like their transfer strategy which seems clearly to be signing youth at this point. I don't think any other Premier League club is going down the same path of investing a significant portion of their transfer budget in the likes of Lewis Cook, Emerson Hyndman, Benik Afobe, Tyrone Mings and potentially Jordon Ibe.

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan

Online bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #197 on: July 14, 2016, 08:51:14 pm »
I like their transfer strategy which seems clearly to be signing youth at this point. I don't think any other Premier League club is going down the same path of investing a significant portion of their transfer budget in the likes of Lewis Cook, Emerson Hyndman, Benik Afobe, Tyrone Mings and potentially Jordon Ibe.

yup - didn't thy get quite unlucky with a few injuries at the start of last season too?

mings, gradel etc

think they'll do well this year and it's a good move for Jordon

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: July 14, 2016, 11:37:45 pm »
yup - didn't thy get quite unlucky with a few injuries at the start of last season too?

mings, gradel etc

Callum Wilson too. Their best striker and their two most expensive signings from last summer missed most of the season.

Offline BigAl24

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: July 15, 2016, 12:17:07 pm »
Callum Wilson too. Their best striker and their two most expensive signings from last summer missed most of the season.

As well as their player of last season, Harry Arter. Also missed a big chunk of the season.