Author Topic: (American) College Football  (Read 296391 times)

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
Re: (American) College Football
« Reply #200 on: December 6, 2007, 10:07:24 pm »
Why do some of the college football coaches get their QBs to run almost as much as they throw? I'm talking about the likes of Tebow, Pat White, Dennis Dixon etc. Surely if they get to the NFL and actually start games they would not run the ball so much.

Who votes for the BCS standings, bowl spots and Heisman??
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline SteeleRED

• Crazy loudmouthed American who doesn't give a s*** what you think of him
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #201 on: December 6, 2007, 11:39:38 pm »
Why do some of the college football coaches get their QBs to run almost as much as they throw? I'm talking about the likes of Tebow, Pat White, Dennis Dixon etc. Surely if they get to the NFL and actually start games they would not run the ball so much.

For lots of reasons, really. It depends on the athlete playing QB, the offensive system the head coach likes to run, etc. As for the NFL: running QBs now abound in the league. There was Michael Vick, and there is Vince Young and Steve McNair and Donovan McNabb (though slowed by injuries. And watch JaMarcus Russell when he becomes the Raiders starting QB). So there's a place for guys like Tebow, White and Dixon.

1) The BCS is decided by a weighted formula that assigns points for a team's ranking in the ESPN/USA today coaches' poll (various coaches from around the nation), the Harris Interactive Poll (comprised of former players, coaches, administrators, and current and former media), and 6 computer-generated polls (I couldn't even begin to tell you how those computers decide on their team rankings). The polls results are weighted more heavily than the computer polls. Add up all the various points to determine whose #1, #2, etc.
  2) Bowl spots The "BCS System" determines which teams make the five BCS Bowl games: the Rose Bowl, the Sugar Bowl, the Orange Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl, plus the BCS National Championship game. But which teams go? Even more complicated. Look to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_Championship_Series#BCS_bowl_gamesfor an explanation. The bulleted points will explain that process to you.
  3) Heisman Trophy is voted on by media members and all living former Heisman Trophy winners, plus one vote from "the public". Here is the explanation from Wikipedia.
Balloting for the Heisman is selective. The fifty states of the U.S. are split into six regions, and six regional representatives are selected to appoint voters in their states (the regions include the Far West, the Mid Atlantic, Mid West, North East, South, and South West). Each region has 145 media votes, for a total of 870 votes. In addition, all previous Heisman winners may vote, and one final vote is counted through public balloting. The Heisman ballots contain a 3-2-1 point system, in which each ballot ranks the voter's top three players and awards them three points for a first-place vote, two points for a second-place vote, and one point for a third-place vote. The points are tabulated, and the player with the highest total of points across all ballots wins the Heisman Trophy.
Hope this helps.
Football fan, yes, but fan of many other sports, too.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: December 6, 2007, 11:51:08 pm »

Do a google for the latter questions.

As for the earlier ones about college football coaches getting their QB's to run, the reason why it is more prevalent is because it is successful at the college level. College coaches, like any coaches, are trying to win.

It takes an extremely talented QB who can bring a running game to the NFL level; Michael Vick was certainly one of those, and Vince Young to a lesser extent - the players at the top level are incredibly quick and explosive. It is far better for an NFL QB to be able to throw very well and to run a little bit, rather than the other way around. Being a QB is about being able to toss the ball, get it in the hands  of your playmakers who will then, literally, make the play.

There are virtually no 'running' QB's who have won a Super Bowl in modern football....Steve Young is the last one I can recall, but to match his running game he had a super arm....perhaps he is a stretch as a 'running' QB, he is more like a traditional throwing QB who can run a bit at a pinch. Probably the other one that would be close to being a 'running' QB is John Elway, but Elway had an incredible arm and won his two Super Bowl titles at the end of his career when his running game was almost a non-factor. The best players under centre have great arms, great leadership and make the right decisions at the right time....they use their legs to escape pressure either in or out of the pocket, and then throw the ball, only sometimes running for yardage up the field.

Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #203 on: December 7, 2007, 12:05:39 am »
It's worth mentioning that the quarterback option we see in college ball isn't used in the NFL. If it was, qb's would be dropping like flies.

Offline Frog

• Likes to woo
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Sounders til I die! www.weareecs.com
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #204 on: December 7, 2007, 12:20:58 am »
It's worth mentioning that the quarterback option we see in college ball isn't used in the NFL. If it was, qb's would be dropping like flies.
The biggest issue about running QB's in the NFL is the difference in the speed of the defenses.

The NFL is much faster and the QB's that could run in College get caught in the pros.
The bluest skies you’ve ever seen are in Seattle- And the hills the greenest green, in Seattle-
Like a beautiful child, growing up, free an’ wild- Full of hopes an’ full of fears, full of laughter, full of tears-
Full of dreams to last the years, in Seattle- in Seattle!

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: December 7, 2007, 09:22:57 am »
What do you all think of the Heisman finalists? Colt Brennan, Chase Daniel, Tim Tebow and Darren McFadden. Of these who do you see going on to a successful NFL career?
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #206 on: December 7, 2007, 09:52:25 am »
Only McFadden would be a real, can't-miss prospect right now; as I said elsewhere, he will be a top 5 pick in the draft. Tebow isn't eligible to enter the draft this year I don't think and will have to stay in Florida at least another year. Brennan isn't getting the credit he might have done had Hawaii played some better teams, so let's see how he fares against Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. I'm not convinced by Daniel.
DAMMIT!

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #207 on: December 7, 2007, 10:14:18 am »
The Heisman will go to either Tebow or McFadden.

McFadden will probably be the only one who will be a succesful pro in the NFL.

Tebow does have time on his side though.

Brennan may be a good back up QB, and if the opportunity arises, can be another Tony Romo.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: December 7, 2007, 10:15:24 am »
I got a more serious question - is actually possible to watch the College Bowl games here in the UK?  Does any channel show them?
What is my best option?

Cheers.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: December 7, 2007, 10:31:16 am »
I got a more serious question - is actually possible to watch the College Bowl games here in the UK?  Does any channel show them?
What is my best option?

Cheers.

Yes NASN - Sky 417. Comes with the LFC channel package on Setanta. It is probably one of my now most watched channels. I also like watching PTI and Around the Horn.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #210 on: December 7, 2007, 10:31:27 am »
NASN is the only channel which shows it. Their bowl schedule is here: http://nasneurope.com/content/nasn/portal.nsf/content/bcs07
DAMMIT!

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #211 on: December 11, 2007, 03:21:14 pm »
Some windup merchant posted this on buckeyeplanet.com. I thought it was rather funny.

10 Reasons LSU will beat Ohio St.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. New Orleans - LSU players are used to going out there. Ohio St players are not. This can be a major distraction. Look for players to be suspended due to missing curfew.

2. Trindon Holiday - Fastest guy in college football. The turf will only make him faster. Look for him to return a kick for a touchdown.

3. Superdome - LSU has already played there once this year. The crowd will be about 70/30 LSU. There will be thousands more lsu fans around the dome watching the game.

4. Flynn/Perriloux - Both are on top of their game. Both bring something different and are great runners. Remember Juice Williams

5. Florida - Ohio St - LSU is faster than Florida was last year. The big 10 doesnt see this speed enough to catch it

6. Glenn Dorsey - He will be healthy for the first time in a half a season. He is dominant. He will command double and triple teams.

7. Miles Staying - We were certainly distracted in the arkansas game. Now that miles is here for sure, our whole team is focused on the task at hand.

8. Crowd Noise - In the big 10, the fans sit down and watch games. In the SEC we stand up and make noise the entire time. The ohio st players will not be used to it.

9. Todd Boeckman - He has never played in a big game like this before. Expect early jitters from him including a couple of picks.

10. Demetrius Byrd - Stepped up big time while Early Doucet was out. He has great speed and should blow by buckeye defenders. With Early back, we now have 2 great receivers.
DAMMIT!

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: December 11, 2007, 06:09:45 pm »
Some windup merchant posted this on buckeyeplanet.com. I thought it was rather funny.

10 Reasons LSU will beat Ohio St.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. New Orleans - LSU players are used to going out there. Ohio St players are not. This can be a major distraction. Look for players to be suspended due to missing curfew.

2. Trindon Holiday - Fastest guy in college football. The turf will only make him faster. Look for him to return a kick for a touchdown.

3. Superdome - LSU has already played there once this year. The crowd will be about 70/30 LSU. There will be thousands more lsu fans around the dome watching the game.

4. Flynn/Perriloux - Both are on top of their game. Both bring something different and are great runners. Remember Juice Williams

5. Florida - Ohio St - LSU is faster than Florida was last year. The big 10 doesnt see this speed enough to catch it

6. Glenn Dorsey - He will be healthy for the first time in a half a season. He is dominant. He will command double and triple teams.

7. Miles Staying - We were certainly distracted in the arkansas game. Now that miles is here for sure, our whole team is focused on the task at hand.

8. Crowd Noise - In the big 10, the fans sit down and watch games. In the SEC we stand up and make noise the entire time. The ohio st players will not be used to it.

9. Todd Boeckman - He has never played in a big game like this before. Expect early jitters from him including a couple of picks.

10. Demetrius Byrd - Stepped up big time while Early Doucet was out. He has great speed and should blow by buckeye defenders. With Early back, we now have 2 great receivers.

From what I have seen of both teams that is more than a fair shout. I think LSU will have too much for the Buckeyes and it could turn into a rout.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #213 on: December 12, 2007, 09:27:45 am »
<shakes head>

Dear oh dear. I can excuse you only if you get most of your info from ESPN and have not actually watched the two teams very much this season.

Before I go through each of these 10 items of idiocy, please tell me you don't actually agree?
DAMMIT!

Offline Vinay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: December 12, 2007, 10:03:00 am »
NASN is the only channel which shows it. Their bowl schedule is here: http://nasneurope.com/content/nasn/portal.nsf/content/bcs07
Cheers fella.

I will be rooting for LSU this year, but any which way, it will be a cracking game as Tressell also deserves one.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: December 12, 2007, 10:41:53 am »
<shakes head>

Dear oh dear. I can excuse you only if you get most of your info from ESPN and have not actually watched the two teams very much this season.

Before I go through each of these 10 items of idiocy, please tell me you don't actually agree?

I have seen more of LSU than I have the Buckeyes and yes I agree that LSU will win and win comfortably.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #216 on: December 12, 2007, 10:44:10 am »
Cheers fella.

I will be rooting for LSU this year, but any which way, it will be a cracking game as Tressell also deserves another one.

Fixed it for ya. ;D
DAMMIT!

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #217 on: December 12, 2007, 10:58:53 am »
I have seen more of LSU than I have the Buckeyes and yes I agree that LSU will win and win comfortably.

Well, I am surprised at how you can be so confident in that if you haven't seen that much of Ohio State but fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion.

That does not affect the stupidity or plain wrong-headedness of those ten points though.
DAMMIT!

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: December 12, 2007, 11:36:04 am »
Well, I am surprised at how you can be so confident in that if you haven't seen that much of Ohio State but fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion.

That does not affect the stupidity or plain wrong-headedness of those ten points though.

Having looked at the schedules for both teams, I think that LSU had the tougher schedule and only lost their 2 games in triple OT. The only real team of note (INMHO) that the Buckeyes had to face was Illinois and they lost that one.

LSU all the way....go Tigers

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #219 on: December 12, 2007, 12:20:08 pm »
Having looked at the schedules for both teams, I think that LSU had the tougher schedule and only lost their 2 games in triple OT. The only real team of note (INMHO) that the Buckeyes had to face was Illinois and they lost that one.

LSU all the way....go Tigers

I would be interested to hear how you arrived at the conclusion that #23 Purdue, #25 Penn State, #25 Wisconsin and #25 Michigan (rankings at the time of the game v Ohio State) were all shite teams that the Buckeyes were expected to trounce easily. Even in seasons when Penn State are poor, they do not lose at home very often or by large scores.

The other thing is that the Washington game was scheduled 7-8 years ago when they were good.

Triple OT or no, defeats are defeats, and Arkansas was not then and is not now top 25.

I agree that LSU enter the match as the favourites but predictions of a blowout do tOSU a serious disservice.

Go Bucks!

Changing the subject for a second: Bobby Petrino has exhibited some Nick Saban-like shithouseness in his actions this week.
DAMMIT!

Offline Frog

• Likes to woo
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Sounders til I die! www.weareecs.com
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #220 on: December 12, 2007, 03:18:52 pm »
Having seen much of both teams, I think it will be a close game with LSU nicking it at the end.

The Ohio State Defense is much better than anyone gives them credit for and their wide receivers are very good. Boeckman will have to have a good game, but anyone writing off Ohio State is nuts.
The bluest skies you’ve ever seen are in Seattle- And the hills the greenest green, in Seattle-
Like a beautiful child, growing up, free an’ wild- Full of hopes an’ full of fears, full of laughter, full of tears-
Full of dreams to last the years, in Seattle- in Seattle!

Offline LFC_Penguin

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #221 on: December 15, 2007, 08:24:00 pm »
A little off topic...Ohio State is also playing for a national title in the football more often discussed on here tomorrow against Wake Forest. Here's hoping for a football double.

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #222 on: December 16, 2007, 02:04:44 am »
A little off topic...Ohio State is also playing for a national title in the football more often discussed on here tomorrow against Wake Forest. Here's hoping for a football double.

Is that right?  Don't keep up on college soccer.  The North Carolina and Virginia schools are always strong as are a few in California and the Mid West.  I'm floored that the Buckeyes have that strong a program.  Is it a one off?

Offline Texas Reds Fan

• The first to learn about Project: Rename LFC
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is emptiness, emptiness is form
« Reply #223 on: December 16, 2007, 02:14:55 am »
Is that right?  Don't keep up on college soccer.  The North Carolina and Virginia schools are always strong as are a few in California and the Mid West.  I'm floored that the Buckeyes have that strong a program.  Is it a one off?

Yeah, watched the first half of the game yesterday. Think Wake were playing Virginia Tech and the quality of play seemed to be pretty high. Both teams' goalkeepers were playing off their asses.

Would be nice to see Wake beat Ohio State, then Ohio State lose to that other team they're playing in that other sport. That's a double I could get excited about. :D

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: December 27, 2007, 05:07:47 pm »
Holiday Bowl in San Diego tonight.

#11 Arizona State vs #19 Texas

I'm getting a little nervous right now.  We've looked poor all season and I'm afraid we'll get a beat down by a frikin' PAC-10 team

Hook'em Horns

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: December 28, 2007, 12:26:57 am »
1/2 hour to kick off

Texas! 
Fight!

Offline Red345

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #226 on: December 28, 2007, 05:27:23 am »
one heck of a holiday bowl!  :)

Texas pulled one out nyctex, wasn't the cleanest of victories, but a solid win nevertheless.

What do you think Charles's chances in the NFL?

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: December 28, 2007, 06:04:47 am »
one heck of a holiday bowl!  :)

Texas pulled one out nyctex, wasn't the cleanest of victories, but a solid win nevertheless.

What do you think Charles's chances in the NFL?

not sure 'bout Charles in the next level

Very happy about the win though.  I thought ASU w/could kick our ass.   
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 06:10:20 am by nyctex »

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: December 28, 2007, 06:42:43 am »
PS......

I won a lunch at restaurant in our building - Capital Grill - from one of my partners that's an ASU grad  :thumbup  Sucker!!!!!!!!

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: December 28, 2007, 02:39:13 pm »
not sure 'bout Charles in the next level

Very happy about the win though.  I thought ASU w/could kick our ass.   

Nice story about Nater and his parents. That must be every parent's nightmare. Watching your kid keel over and 'die'. Lucky for him that his parents were doctors and they sorted him out. Also nice to see him get the defibrillator at every Texas pitchside.

Offline Vinay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: January 1, 2008, 05:07:08 pm »
Can I get a stream for the Michigan game, anyone?

Cheers.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: January 1, 2008, 06:17:25 pm »
Been enjoying the Bowl games so far. Thought the Chick-fil-A bowl was a good spectacle and the ending was great.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #232 on: January 1, 2008, 11:01:25 pm »
The Capital One Bowl was a belting game, Henne, Hart and Long all impressed.  Tebow's a pretty intriguing guy isn't he?  I think he might make a decent WR or maybe a TE in the Dallas Clark mould in the pros.  Not sure he'd make it as a QB or a RB.  Excellent athlete though.

Been watching the Rose Bowl simply to see Rey Maualuga, who I think could interest the Pats hsould he come out this year.  Really impressed by the Trojans LB corps.

And Rashard Mendenhall.
Believe.

XBL:  Steevvvoo

PSN:  Steevvvoo

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: January 2, 2008, 11:10:35 am »
USC looked good in the Rose Bowl but I feel a bit sorry for Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl. The Georgia defence kept Brennan under pressure all night and the Warriors just could not get their offence going at all.

Really, really looking forward to the Championship game now.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: January 4, 2008, 05:15:30 pm »
Loved the last 2 Bowl games.

I thought West Virginia deserved their Fiesta Bowl win and I thought the Kansas Jayhawks were also very deserving of their win over the Hokies.

Just the big one left and I still think LSU will win

Offline HarleyQuinn

• Anny Roader
« Reply #235 on: January 8, 2008, 03:07:17 am »
Anybody else watching the BSC Championship right now?  I've got money on Ohio State.  It's not lookin' good.

Shoulda known better than to bet against Bo Pelini.
What can't you do with a drunken sailor?

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #236 on: January 8, 2008, 03:16:39 am »
I am.

The wife is an OSU alum who was in Phoenix 4 years ago for the bowl game.

Needless to say I am cowering in front of the laptop, jerking off to RAWK. It's not looking good for pussy tonight.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #237 on: January 8, 2008, 03:19:37 am »
LSU looking very confident in the first half.

Hope Ohio State scores early to make this game a little closer
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: January 8, 2008, 03:20:42 am »
LSU is good.  pretty damn good.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #239 on: January 8, 2008, 03:21:04 am »

Needless to say I am cowering in front of the laptop, jerking off to RAWK. It's not looking good for pussy tonight.

;D
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/