Author Topic: #SHANKLY100 - "There's no-one quite like granddad!"  (Read 27326 times)

Offline Davvo7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • STILL walk a million miles for one of your smiles!
Re: #SHANKLY100 - "There's no-one quite like granddad!"
« Reply #40 on: September 5, 2013, 09:46:19 am »
He did go on the playing fields, they are now named after him. The lads used to walk round to his house and ask him if he could come out to play  ;D

Awesome!
Boocoo dinky dau

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #41 on: September 5, 2013, 08:36:40 pm »
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: September 7, 2013, 06:11:24 pm »
Come on kiddywinkles. There's fuck all to do on the forum during international breaks but discuss the same old shite about players that you've had loads of times, and you will do again when the players get back. Just take five minutes of your time to read this fantastic article instead.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: September 8, 2013, 07:04:59 pm »
Exactly so Davvo mate. The fella who tied his bike to the drainpipe outside the player's entrance at OT was the great Duncan Edwards. Bloody hell eh?

I know there's a grain of truth in auld arses over-glamourising those good old days. But in amongst having to battle through all the shit and the piss of the bogs at the old grounds was some real love for the game plus a genuine shared passion and a togetherness between the players and the fans. Course the players back then were never catapulted into the financial stratosphere like today's exponents of the footballing art.

Some of the half-baked , hype-believing disconnected-from-real-life "superstars" of today would fucking run you over in their blacked-out window Porsche 4 x 4's. Too many journeymen multi-millionaires polluting the game today. Wouldn't piss on some of 'em if they were alight.
How fast could Duncan tie knots Johnno?
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #44 on: September 9, 2013, 07:01:00 am »
He was like shit off a shovel mate - only he didn't stink . . . !

He'd have the bike done and tied up and he'd be inside the player's entrance in . . . . ooooohhh maybe 10 minutes - after he'd signed all the kids autographs ;) ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 10:33:14 am by Johnnowhite »
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: September 9, 2013, 08:15:06 am »
He was like shit off a shovel Macca mate - only he didn't stink . . . !

He'd have the bike done and tied up and he'd be inside the player's entrance in . . . . ooooohhh maybe 10 minutes - after he'd signed all the kids autographs ;) ;D ;D
;)
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2018, 09:22:54 pm »
I don't like repeating myself but Shankly and my dad were friends as well as me He really liked my dad cos he didn't,t pull his punches, I remember sitting at the back kitchen table listening to them in the next room. it was funny as well as being sensible and he shanks adored Karen and Pauline just as much as my dad did. I remember Shanks visiting our house after my dad died always wanting to ask if there was anything he could do, I am not ashamed to say I loved him we would go out and watch non-league football one night we went to watch Cammel Lerds  I had 2 flat caps and loaned him one not many recognised him we paid to go in I think the fella thought we were both pensioners so we paid less than others. But he was such good company, you will never waste time talking to him
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.