Author Topic: Thank you Gerard Houllier  (Read 6104 times)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
Thank you Gerard Houllier
« on: May 24, 2004, 12:27:07 pm »
Thanks for the UEFA cup

Thanks for the FA Cup

Thanks for the League Cup

Thanks for the Second League Cup versus Man Utd, possibly one of the best finals I've seen in years, in ANY competition.

Thanks for the Super Cup and Charity Shield.

Thanks for all the trips to Cardiff.

Thanks for some great nights in Europe.

Thanks for beating the Mancs at Old Trafford 3 times, first manager to do so since Shanks.

Thanks for beating the Bitter Blues 4 times in a row at Woodison Park, a feat that may well never be repeated.

Thanks for working so hard to make Melwood what it is today, that will be your legacy to this club for decades to come.

Thanks for turning this club back into a club we could be proud of, rather than embarassed of, as it was in the days of the Spice Boys.

Thanks for your good humour, your great quotes, your constant suspicion of the press, which made for some entertaining press conferences.

Thanks for coming back when many a lesser man would have taken the easy road, and given it up.

Thanks for players like Sami, Hench, Gary Mac, Dude, Kirks, Le Tallec, Sinama-Pongolle, Finnan, Riise, Didi, Babbel, Baros, Kewell, players who where, or will become key components of this team for years to come.

Thanks for helping Stevie G become the man he is today.

Thanks for helping Spud become the Manc Killer, and helping Carra become one of the most valuable members of our team.

And most of all thanks for your dignity and class, something that put you above and beyond most people in football.

© A Red Hero 2004
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 12:29:59 pm by Rushian »
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Thank you Gerard Houllier
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 12:36:45 pm »
hear hear

Thanks for making me cry when we beat Roma at home.

Thanks for making me jump around like a maddy when Owen beat Arsenal in the FA Cup

Thanks for making me hoarse when we won the UEFA

Thanks for putting the players back on the back pages.

Thanks for leaving a club in a lot lot better position than when you arrived.

Thanks for making me believe in my club again.

Good luck in the future.
Yep.

Offline wild_rover

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 12:52:10 pm »
Well put. Houllier has put a lot into this club and deserves our respect and thanks.
'who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?'

- Hunter S Thompson

Offline scottishRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 12:55:46 pm »
hear hear.

i raise a glass to you Gerard. thanks for the good times. you leave us in much better shape then when you arrived, and with some fantastic memories.

it's a shame it didn't work out, and you will be missed.

you're groundwork will be recognised as an important factor in reestablishing liverpool as number one club in this country when we get there.

THANK YOU AND FAREWELL

YNWA

David Lam

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 01:28:23 pm »
Well written Rushian.  I am really sad that things just don't work out it should be, but walk on, both the club and Gerrard.  We'll Never Walk Alone.

PS: Rushian, pls allow me to link my blog to your well written piece.

http://davidlam.blogspot.com/

Offline locolouie

• Main Stander
  • Till Stevie leaves..
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 01:52:07 pm »
I'm sorry my fellow Pudlians, my heart goes with all of you when I think of the many memories Houllier gave us.. yes, he has left Lpool a better place then when he came..

But 6 years is a long time, and I maybe really harsh (and get my share of brickbats) but I think his style of mgt doesn't suit us so much..

We need a change from our present style of playing, Houllier will not change, his style will not change either.. we need someone that the players will die for, not want to have a cuppa at the end of the day when it was just 'not one of our days'..

While threading carefully, I will say "Thks Gerard for the moments, thks for the memories" but I would want to move on and hope that whoever comes in be it Curbs, Benitez or O'Neill.. makes that needed change for us to start the glory days again..

Loco

Offline RogerE

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 02:07:52 pm »
The last few days have provided an unedifying spectacle but in the end the club have done the right thing and GH has said the right things and left with dignity.

Offline SKITTLE

• Legacy Fan
  • One of the "older" brigade.
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 02:26:16 pm »
Thanks for helping to lower my bank balance financing trips into europe. 8)
Been there,done that,getting older,bordering on part timer status. So sad but that's life.

Offline SJL

• Kopite
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 03:42:48 pm »
Gerard,
            Thank you for giving me memories which I shall cherish for the rest of my life.  Memories of euphoric joy and incredible highs, of which there are too many to list.  I wish you well for the rest of your career and hope to have you back in Anfield someday soon.

You'll Never Walk Alone.

I'll Never Forget.
Stuart James Quigley.

Offline locolouie

• Main Stander
  • Till Stevie leaves..
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 03:52:04 pm »
You the man footlong..  ;D

I jus don think he has done enuff.. that's all.. sigh..

Offline Mike 88

• Main Stander
  • European champions 2005 F.A cup winners 2006
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2004, 05:20:07 pm »
Thanks for the memories Ged
  You'll Never Walk Alone
We are the champions
champions of Europe

Offline wellsie82

• Where's me tractorrrrrrrrr?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2004, 05:43:37 pm »
good post steve

i wish Gerard all the best where-ever he decides to go or do next

You'll Never Walk Alone
the best cashback site on the net.... Click here to get signed up

sage

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 12:20:49 am »
Allez Allez

YNWA

Bloke

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 04:42:47 pm »
I would have liked Gerard to stay one more season so that the handover would be better planned (or planned at all), but that's how it goes...

Thanks Gerard for leaving the club in a much better shape than when you took over.  Whoever replaces you will reap the benefits of your hard work at this club; great signings, a combination of great potentials and already established players, mostly youngsters, better training facilities, better discipline etc...  Thanks for all the cups and great moments; and mostly, thanks for giving us hope again.

It's for these reasons that I consider Gerard's record as a successful one; he might not have won us the championship, but it's still not a failure considering the job of the new manager will be that of building on the bases that Gerard established, rather than having to restart from scratch.

I feel nostalgic about you leaving, but that wouldn't be the first time it happens.  Liverpool have to carry on.

It's now time to wait for a new manager to be named, and then we'll give him the support we gave you when you took over.

ian Golder

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2004, 05:46:10 pm »
Brilliant! Thanks Gerard you done us proud.

Offline GerardGal

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2004, 10:23:21 am »
Great touching post Rushian.

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2004, 09:52:22 pm »
Well put Rushian!

I think we will all look back in a few year and truly realise just how much he did for this club, especially behind the scenes!

It's just a shame he couldn't put all that good work to use on the pitch!

Allez, Allez!
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline Squillary

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2004, 10:49:36 pm »
The last few days have provided an unedifying spectacle but in the end the club have done the right thing and GH has said the right things and left with dignity.

Just arrived here, so I missed the opportunity to post at the time, but if ever there was any doubt about his motivation, his choice of memories from his time with us brought a genuine tear from this jaded eye. Dignity intact.

Still find it strange that of the teams that finished 2nd to 5th, the two that improved on last year removed their managers while the two that did worse kept theirs...

Offline Red G

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2004, 09:16:57 am »
We should appreciate all the good times given to us by GH, but perhaps he should have realised after his illness that it was time to take a break.

Good luck.

Lyn-Marie Taylor

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2004, 12:44:01 am »
Thanks Gerard for all of the cups, the fun, the players, the glory days, for making our boys into men and players to be proud of, for a team that stuck together during times of glory and of hardship, and thanks for being so committed to a club you truly loved.  Good luck, and farewell.