Author Topic: 2017 in Music  (Read 100786 times)

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 2017 in Music
« Reply #1080 on: October 15, 2017, 06:46:49 pm »
in Amsterdam which is an ace record shop if your ever vistiting...also my first solo cycle into Centrum..means fuck all to you lot but I'm proud of that..its a challenge...and too many fucking tourists!)....Its glorious day here

It was Amsterdam marathon today so probably accounted for even more on the streets. I remember being there last year; couldn't run as I was injured but do remember accidently stepping into the cycle lanes a couple of time and looking the wrong way; the locals appear to be used to idiots like me though and didn't really bat an eyelid....Love Amsterdam and will go again.
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1081 on: October 15, 2017, 09:22:48 pm »
Has anyone got the St Vincent vinyl yet?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #1082 on: October 16, 2017, 11:35:40 am »
St Vincent is good..production sounds very 80's ( Thomas Dolby popped into my head)..then again everything I hear these days sounds 'very '80's'...Even Dawsons 'Peasant' sounds very '80's....80AD that is!

It was Amsterdam marathon today so probably accounted for even more on the streets. I remember being there last year; couldn't run as I was injured but do remember accidently stepping into the cycle lanes a couple of time and looking the wrong way; the locals appear to be used to idiots like me though and didn't really bat an eyelid....Love Amsterdam and will go again.

Off Topic somewhat but Ive lived here just 3 months and the tourist issue is a drag due to sheer numbers ...and walking in cycle lanes. The centre is the worst...I dont live in the centre but pretty close..near where the cruise liners berth ( yes, RAWK Title Gods..I do live in the Port of Amsterdam! :D)...and we get mobs of tourists wandering around ours..in the cycle lanes...Im impressed how calmly the Amsterdammers respond....................but Im Scouse!

Back to the music , Four Tet on now...cool!

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1083 on: October 16, 2017, 11:46:37 am »
Fucking love Amsterdam FlashingBlade. Visited about 7 times the most recent about a month ago, amazing city and would live there myself if I could.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1084 on: October 16, 2017, 11:58:09 am »
Fucking love Amsterdam FlashingBlade. Visited about 7 times the most recent about a month ago, amazing city and would live there myself if I could.

Bloody tourist!

;)

thinking of getting meself one of these

It really was beautiful cycling around yesterday especially as roads closed due to marathon.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:00:22 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1085 on: October 16, 2017, 12:13:05 pm »
Dragging this back to music...with an Amstedam link....off to see Low at the Westerkirk tonight...really looking forward to it....think it may be my first 'solo' gig after 40 years of gig going....
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:17:04 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #1086 on: October 16, 2017, 01:33:27 pm »
Saw Priests last night, very enjoyable show considering I got a text before it telling me I had no work the following day because of a hurricane so drank to my hearts desire. Any road the lead singer is very hot and a serious grafter working the merch stand before and after. Think that's their final show in Europe this year but do check them out if they are passing through.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #1087 on: October 16, 2017, 09:00:19 pm »
Saw Priests last night, very enjoyable show considering I got a text before it telling me I had no work the following day because of a hurricane so drank to my hearts desire. Any road the lead singer is very hot and a serious grafter working the merch stand before and after. Think that's their final show in Europe this year but do check them out if they are passing through.

Nice mate. They're playing Manchester on Friday with the Downtown Boys, I think. The latter are playing a headline show in Liverpool this week, too.

Saw them in Leeds earlier this year and they were sensational. Katie (lead singer) really got it going onstage. Like you said, straight offstage then selling merch. Got to meet her and the other band members, too - really cool bunch.

Really think their album is one of the best debuts I've heard in years. Proper punk spirit.

New Destroyer album is fantastic. Real Joy Division/New Order vibe throughout. Also liking the new Courtney Barnett/Kurt Vile album on first listen. Both compliment each others' style.   

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1088 on: October 17, 2017, 12:41:16 am »
Nice mate. They're playing Manchester on Friday with the Downtown Boys, I think. The latter are playing a headline show in Liverpool this week, too.

Saw them in Leeds earlier this year and they were sensational. Katie (lead singer) really got it going onstage. Like you said, straight offstage then selling merch. Got to meet her and the other band members, too - really cool bunch.
I'm seeing those two Wednesday after St Vincent tomorrow. Saw Priests a few months back too, was impressed by them as a live band and also liked the way the drummer seemed to be leading them onstage. I really appreciate that big, thumping drum sound.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #1089 on: October 17, 2017, 09:00:08 am »
Anyone into the latest Wolf Alice album? I believe it`s very good.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1090 on: October 17, 2017, 06:30:14 pm »
The new Hannah Peel album..'Mary Casio: Journey to Cassiopeia'..is quite magnificent

Magnificent indeed, Pistolero. Reminds me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Rfkhg7s_M

I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #1091 on: October 17, 2017, 08:40:27 pm »
Anyone into the latest Wolf Alice album? I believe it`s very good.
Yes, I really like it. Good range of tunes on there.

[Nobody cares what phone you have and that you are using the free version of Tapatalk]

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1092 on: October 17, 2017, 10:06:20 pm »
Andrew Savage from Parquet Courts is releasing an album. Looking forward to it as a couple of the singles have been good.

The kurt vile Courtney Barnett stuff is also good.

Offline Poet

• He IS a poet! And he truly knows it! He's a new member; fresh fire from old ember. No idiot or fool, for he follows Liverpool. A CT gift from heaven! Well, actually, from 24/7...who's taller than 5' 11"!
  • Kopite
    • Sui-Juris
« Reply #1093 on: October 18, 2017, 12:17:48 am »
Soothing mix for this time of night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bITHU0srt4
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1094 on: October 18, 2017, 09:31:43 am »

Really think their album is one of the best debuts I've heard in years. Proper punk spirit.

Was going to see the Down Town Boys in Amsterdam but it clashes with my mum visiting....dont think she would fancy that gig. Their album is ace, real rowdy stuff but good tunes.

On a different musical spectrum, I went to see Low at the Westerkirk in central  Amsterdam on Monday evening. The preformance was part of the 'Organ Reframed' programme and they took part in the same at the Union Chapel at the weekend which I think had a wider range on artists.

Westerkirk is about 500 years old with a the massive church organ which recently underwent a refurbishment . The performace - Im not sure its appropiate to call it a 'gig - ' started with Claire M Singers commisioned 20 minute  piece for the organ which was dark and brooding and wouldn't have been out of place as a Horror or Sci Fi film score.

Low ..or rather Mimi Parker and Alan Sparhawk took to the front of the church in a makeshift pulpit whilst Steve Garrington was hidden away up in the organ ...their commsioned piece was archetypal Low...intense, dynamic, yet sensitive with their sweet vocals and harmonies flowing over the heart beat of the drum machine and the powerful and hypnotic chord changes of the church organ. It was stunning and I hope it makes it to a recording.

The star of the performance was the organ, but Mimis' black feathered angel wings gave it a run for its money!

I saw Low at the Anglican Catherderal in Liverpool few years back and that was a fantastic Low gig in a stunning venue..but this was different , the performace and music was intergral to the fabric of the church,its organ  and its spiritual nature. Alan and especially Mimi gave an impressive and unique vocal performance that matched the venue perfectly.

Not exactly rock and roll...but maybe the Devil doesn't have all the best tunes after all!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1095 on: October 19, 2017, 10:01:54 pm »
I have just heard the new Michael Head album.

The man is a treasure. Beautiful.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1096 on: October 19, 2017, 10:21:15 pm »
I have just heard the new Michael Head album.

The man is a treasure. Beautiful.

Brilliant songwriter. Didn't know he had a new one out, that's good to hear.

And I agree 100%, the man should be a national treasure. I loved Shack as a kid, my dad took me to one of their gigs when he realised I was getting into music and that was it. Possibly the best guitar band of the 90s for me, SFA aside, even if they never released much due to...well, you know. Love that Magical World of the Strands album too, I was listening to that just the other day actually.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1097 on: October 19, 2017, 10:32:37 pm »
Brilliant songwriter. Didn't know he had a new one out, that's good to hear.

And I agree 100%, the man should be a national treasure. I loved Shack as a kid, my dad took me to one of their gigs when he realised I was getting into music and that was it. Possibly the best guitar band of the 90s for me, SFA aside, even if they never released much due to...well, you know. Love that Magical World of the Strands album too, I was listening to that just the other day actually.

Pick the new one up tomorrow mate.

It's absolutely beautiful.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1098 on: October 19, 2017, 10:35:15 pm »
Pick the new one up tomorrow mate.

It's absolutely beautiful.

Will do man, and cheers for the heads up.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1099 on: October 19, 2017, 11:28:39 pm »
New from First Aid Kit:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bDdXe51yphI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bDdXe51yphI</a>

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1100 on: October 21, 2017, 01:29:19 pm »
That Margo Price LP is good so far.

Just downloading the remaster of Listen Without Prejudice by George Michael. Gutted he's gone.

Our band wrote a song about him a few years ago and it was my dream to get him in to produce it and smoke a joint with him. Genuinely imagined him pulling up in his Audi on our industrial estate in Vauxhall and laying down some boss vocal tracks in the unit next door to the black pudding factory where we used to rehearse, the dream is over :(

You might think I'm deeply uncool for this but I don't care, I reckon he was a beast of a songwriter in his prime. As I've grown older I realise that Bill Hicks was very wrong about him. Alright he's a bit 'smooth' sometimes but I reckon he would have been a great laugh.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1101 on: October 21, 2017, 02:43:11 pm »

You might think I'm deeply uncool for this but I don't care, I reckon he was a beast of a songwriter in his prime. As I've grown older I realise that Bill Hicks was very wrong about him. Alright he's a bit 'smooth' sometimes but I reckon he would have been a great laugh.
I'm not someone who knows much about Wham or George Michael's solo stuff, but I thought he was getting an increasing amount of credit for his songwriting and performing these days, in which case you'd not be deeply uncool, but actually way ahead of the curve. He's still no Andrew Ridgeley though.

Also, the fact that you want to smoke his joint in a dingy unit next to an abandoned black pudding factory in an old industrial estate (I may have got some of the details wrong) amuses me, for reasons that I can't quite put my finger on.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1102 on: October 21, 2017, 06:42:55 pm »

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1103 on: October 21, 2017, 10:35:08 pm »
Great article on Michael Head:

https://confidentials.com/liverpool/michael-head-interview?id=59e7631b0a276

Good article and interview, that. It's great that he seems to be in a good place right now. I'd love it if he had some kind of late-career renaissance, he's definitely always had the talent.

Haven't got the album yet as my missus has informed me I'm not allowed to spend anymore on music this month (went a bit mad) but am looking forward to getting it. Feel I have to buy it as opposed to downloading the fucker, I think Mick Head deserves it.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1104 on: October 22, 2017, 08:37:09 am »
Haven't got the album yet as my missus has informed me I'm not allowed to spend anymore on music this month (went a bit mad) but am looking forward to getting it. Feel I have to buy it as opposed to downloading the fucker, I think Mick Head deserves it.

I ordered 2 copies of the red vinyl and only one has arrived, told myself I was giving a copy to my best mate so I can't play it yet as I don't know whether they will be fulfilling the order properly - if I only get one, I'll give it to him so I have now downloaded it to listen to at my leisure as I wait for news on the second copy.

It's great, as I expected. Got up early to listen to it.

Loving the Margo Price Nick, the album sounds great - she's a force to be reckoned with, that equal pay song is a cracker, she doesn't beat around the bush lyrically that's for sure. You go Margo!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1105 on: October 22, 2017, 09:06:22 am »
I ordered 2 copies of the red vinyl and only one has arrived, told myself I was giving a copy to my best mate so I can't play it yet as I don't know whether they will be fulfilling the order properly - if I only get one, I'll give it to him so I have now downloaded it to listen to at my leisure as I wait for news on the second copy.

It's great, as I expected. Got up early to listen to it.

Loving the Margo Price Nick, the album sounds great - she's a force to be reckoned with, that equal pay song is a cracker, she doesn't beat around the bush lyrically that's for sure. You go Margo!

I have the black version as didn't order the red one quick enough, which is annoying. However, it is a beautiful record that flows brilliantly.

Had Destroyer on this morning and that is getting better with each listen. I love his lyrics so much.

Margo album is stunning - she is amazing live too. I was talking to someone about her on Friday who saw her in Brighton live last year. She played the Great Escape festival (you have wristbands for a weekend and about 80 venues open). She played the Spiegel Tent that is put up especially for it and some lads were in there. It was a mid afternoon slot and they were hammered talking really loudly and she called them out, which you can only admire. He said it made the show even better.

I saw Fake Laugh on Friday (had posted link to album a while back) - really cool gig and spoke to the lad / kid who fronts them after. He was super cool and really appreciated support although it felt like I was thanking a mates teenage son!

Finally, Alex G plays Brighton on Thursday so got to think about that. That would mean five gigs in a row tho as got Hurray For The Riff Raff, Phoebe Bridgers, Matthew E White and Jason Isbell too. Even for me, that may be too much.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #1106 on: October 22, 2017, 09:32:27 am »
The last month has been brilliant. Robert Plant, Billy Corgan, Wolf Alice, Liam Gallagher, Kurt Vile & Courtney Barnett etc. Some very strong albums.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1107 on: October 22, 2017, 10:33:23 am »
Sleaford Mods fkn brilliant in Manchester last night..
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1108 on: October 22, 2017, 10:50:47 am »
Joana Serrat was in my top 10 last year (Cross the Verge).

Her new album is even better in my opinon.

Named after the place it was recorded in Texas, "Dripping Springs" should appeal to those who like a dreamy, ghostly Country/Americana vibe.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:31:02 am by MOZ »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1109 on: October 22, 2017, 12:22:30 pm »

Named after the place it was recorded in Texas, "Dripping Springs" should appeal to those who like a dreamy, ghostly Country/Americana vibe.

I'm onboard, sign me up!

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #1110 on: October 23, 2017, 10:12:53 am »
Really enjoying Girl Ray. Debut is out on Moshi Moshi. Recommended for those who like C86 (as in the most overused and inflated genre and reference in pop music) and miss the Sarah Records vibe in general. The bonus track Trouble is one of the most charming songs I've heard all year.

Not as good looking as Hinds so I guess they don't really stand a chance.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #1111 on: October 23, 2017, 11:06:19 am »
Sleaford Mods fkn brilliant in Manchester last night..

Saw them in Lincoln on Thursday. Absolutely unreal. Knocking up a review for Get Into This - will post a link when it's done.

Sounding very promising this. Thanks for the recommendation.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1112 on: October 23, 2017, 02:50:55 pm »
Really enjoying Girl Ray. Debut is out on Moshi Moshi. Recommended for those who like C86 (as in the most overused and inflated genre and reference in pop music) and miss the Sarah Records vibe in general. The bonus track Trouble is one of the most charming songs I've heard all year.

Not as good looking as Hinds so I guess they don't really stand a chance.

Much better musically than Hinds!

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1113 on: October 23, 2017, 08:37:36 pm »

This is lovely, thanks.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1114 on: October 24, 2017, 07:56:31 am »
The Destroyer album is quite different compared with the last one and it has taken me a few listens to get used to it and appreciate it. Like Nick says, it gets better with each listen but so far I still prefer the previous album Poison Season.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:22:33 am by Seebab »
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1115 on: October 24, 2017, 06:24:12 pm »
The Destroyer album is quite different compared with the last one and it has taken me a few listens to get used to it and appreciate it. Like Nick says, it gets better with each listen but so far I still prefer the previous album Poison Season.

I love all his albums.

This album is distinctly him but a different sound.

Can't wait to see him live.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1116 on: October 24, 2017, 06:42:39 pm »
Destroyer album immediately into the top 5 for the year.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1117 on: October 24, 2017, 07:00:32 pm »
Keep giving Destroyer more time, his lyrics are phenomenal I think.

Not sure I like the musical setting quite as much as Kaputt, but its too early to really judge for me.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1118 on: October 24, 2017, 07:05:31 pm »
Keep giving Destroyer more time, his lyrics are phenomenal I think.

Not sure I like the musical setting quite as much as Kaputt, but its too early to really judge for me.

It is dividing opinion between my mates - some love it, some are not fussed and a couple hate it.

I love it and Tinseltown Swimming In Blood is one of his best ever tracks.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #1119 on: October 24, 2017, 11:15:47 pm »
Really like the A. Savage album, putting his hand up as the main man in Parquet Courts with this one. They're prolific enough and he still bangs out an excellent record. Those all the artwork also, top talent right there.

Also been listening to Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile collab. At first wasn't really enthused but they blended each other's distinctive sound well. Think a meandering Barnett song that ends with a instrumental fade out that goes on three minutes too long but in a good way.

Protomartyr still in heavy rotation as well. What a fucking album that is