Author Topic: FC Barcelona  (Read 876739 times)

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: FC Barcelona
« Reply #9840 on: March 1, 2024, 05:49:16 pm »
When Messi left, half of their support went.  ;D
Together with half their revenue.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9841 on: March 1, 2024, 06:35:59 pm »
Aye, the last few years he was there they basically scrounged for evrey penny they could find to pay his wages.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #9842 on: March 1, 2024, 06:36:05 pm »
Thing is I remember they used to be everyones favorite second club around the late 90s and early-mid 2000s. Pretty much anyone who didn't like Real Madrid - which was/is a very sizeable number - would have Barça down as their number two by default. As a kid, a Barça shirt was the only non-LFC shirt I owned (it had Figo on the back, just before he left for Madrid :D)

Who can honestly say that about Barcelona now? Within those 20 years they gained a supreme arrogance and exceptionalism and have acted as indistiguishable from Madrid. OF course, there is a difference between the club hierarchy and the fans. I live here now so I know plenty of sound Barça fans. But even they talk about Liverpool like it was a second-tier club, until I sit them down and remind them we had four European Cups before they'd even won one.

Ultimately, the main thing I've realised, is that football just doesn't mean as much here as it does in Liverpool. It is far less baked into the fabric of daily life. The way they interact with football is also a bit different. It's like they fancy themselves cannoiseurs of fine football. If Barça play well, it's expected rather than something to be excited about  They don't have the songs. And if they play badly, or simply not successfully, you just switch off. Supporting Barça is more of a mandatory extension of a wider Catalan identity, rather than a driver of it.

You can walk through the city during El Clasico and not have a clue it's on (you'd also be surprised by the amount of Real Madrid fans who've been born and raised here). All that said, they do have a great local/barrio club scene here.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9843 on: March 1, 2024, 06:40:42 pm »
Yeah, they underperformed in Europe (including against us!) but I always enjoyed watching that Barca side of Rivaldo, Kluivert, Figo, Luis Enrique and dare I say it, even that bloke with the bouffant in midfield who went bald suspiciously quickly.Cant remember when I last watched them play to be honest - probably the 2nd leg at Anfield!

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9844 on: March 1, 2024, 07:48:33 pm »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9845 on: March 1, 2024, 08:24:16 pm »
Playing at the Boo-Camp
Camp Poo, but accept they're interchangeable.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9846 on: March 1, 2024, 08:39:38 pm »
Camp Poo, but accept they're interchangeable.

I guess that makes Everton the Bloo-Poo then.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #9847 on: March 1, 2024, 09:41:17 pm »
Apparently they're talking to Bobby Brown Shoes about the vacant manager's job.

I don't think there's ever been anyone in football who's failed upwards more consistently than Martinez. You could make an argument that he peaked with Wigan winning the FA cup, then failed everywhere else, getting big payoffs and cushy gigs everywhere after that.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #9848 on: March 1, 2024, 10:05:31 pm »

I don't think there's ever been anyone in football who's failed upwards more consistently than Martinez. You could make an argument that he peaked with Wigan winning the FA cup, then failed everywhere else, getting big payoffs and cushy gigs everywhere after that.
Failed at Everton?  Look at hiw they’ve done since!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9849 on: March 1, 2024, 10:09:43 pm »

He's like Hodgson, only he's actually won something important.

Everything started to go wrong with him. Inherited a strong side from Moyes, but once the solidity Moyes had drilled into them petered out, Martinez didn't seem to have an answer. That's when everything started to slowly unravel, and it's only picked up speed since then.

Popcorn's Art

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9850 on: March 2, 2024, 07:21:57 am »
Thing is I remember they used to be everyones favorite second club around the late 90s and early-mid 2000s. Pretty much anyone who didn't like Real Madrid - which was/is a very sizeable number - would have Barça down as their number two by default. As a kid, a Barça shirt was the only non-LFC shirt I owned (it had Figo on the back, just before he left for Madrid :D)

Who can honestly say that about Barcelona now? Within those 20 years they gained a supreme arrogance and exceptionalism and have acted as indistiguishable from Madrid. OF course, there is a difference between the club hierarchy and the fans. I live here now so I know plenty of sound Barça fans. But even they talk about Liverpool like it was a second-tier club, until I sit them down and remind them we had four European Cups before they'd even won one.

Ultimately, the main thing I've realised, is that football just doesn't mean as much here as it does in Liverpool. It is far less baked into the fabric of daily life. The way they interact with football is also a bit different. It's like they fancy themselves cannoiseurs of fine football. If Barça play well, it's expected rather than something to be excited about  They don't have the songs. And if they play badly, or simply not successfully, you just switch off. Supporting Barça is more of a mandatory extension of a wider Catalan identity, rather than a driver of it.

You can walk through the city during El Clasico and not have a clue it's on (you'd also be surprised by the amount of Real Madrid fans who've been born and raised here). All that said, they do have a great local/barrio club scene here.

Excuse my ignorance.   What’s a Barrio Club!?

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9851 on: March 2, 2024, 10:03:11 am »
Barrios is a kind of slum district I think?

EDIT: just checked. It means "neighbourhood"
« Last Edit: March 2, 2024, 10:49:38 am by Red Beret »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #9852 on: March 2, 2024, 07:12:48 pm »
Exactly yeah, neighbourhood teams! A lot of the neighbourhoods here have really strong identities, including their own neighbourhood flags and festivals and generally strong sense of community. It's one of the best things about living here for me. Likewise, a lot of them have football clubs, including some pretty big ones.

I went to see this derby the other week between Sant Andreu and CE Europa: https://footballhost.com/blogs/experiences/sant-andreu-vs-europa-el-clasico-de-barcelona

€10 in, with a sell out crowd of 6,500. Both in the 5th tier of the Spanish Leagues, with one of them (CE Europa) being one of the ten founding members of La Liga.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #9853 on: March 2, 2024, 07:43:07 pm »
Whatever happened to Xxavi? Did he join Cantona on his ski trip?
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #9854 on: March 3, 2024, 10:21:31 am »

'[Official] FC Barcelona has restored the legend status of convicted rapist Dani Alves: "His extrovert personality makes him a firm favourite among Barca fans"':-

www.fcbarcelona.com/en/card/648012/daniel-alves-da-silva-dani-alves

^ from https://old.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1b5dn7m/official_fc_barcelona_has_restored_the_legend

Wow.  :no  c*nts.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9855 on: March 3, 2024, 05:08:12 pm »
'[Official] FC Barcelona has restored the legend status of convicted rapist Dani Alves: "His extrovert personality makes him a firm favourite among Barca fans"':-

www.fcbarcelona.com/en/card/648012/daniel-alves-da-silva-dani-alves

^ from https://old.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1b5dn7m/official_fc_barcelona_has_restored_the_legend

Wow.  :no  c*nts.
They really are a c*nt of a club from top to bottom, there's no redeeming features.

Dread to imagine some of the weird conspiracy theories some of their small minded woe is me/inferiority complex-ridden nationalists will have constructed

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9856 on: March 4, 2024, 07:39:26 am »
Looks like Pedri has got another long-term injury.

He's only made 12 starts this season, despicable by them how much they overplayed him in his late Teens, couple of seasons ago he played over 70 games for Club and Country.

Gavi also been out all season with a ACL, two absolute midfield gems to build around for the next 15 years and they recklessly overplayed them.

Ansu Fati you could say the same for him, young and overplayed and littered with a injury record so young.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9857 on: March 4, 2024, 09:34:46 am »
They really are a c*nt of a club from top to bottom, there's no redeeming features.

Dread to imagine some of the weird conspiracy theories some of their small minded woe is me/inferiority complex-ridden nationalists will have constructed

This is a bit of a niche, very geeky, analogy but they're like Luthen Rael from Andor.

They've spent decades competing with Real Madrid, and it's corrupted them horribly. They're in trouble for interfering with refs becausee, in their minds, they're trying to level the playing field and get something like an even shake on decisions. Probably the same thing Pep told himself when he was popping pills, "Real are on them, so we have to take them to even things out"

Meanwhile the two of them have absolutely crushed the life out of almost every other club in the league. Under Simeone, Atletico have had to develop a system of "dark arts" to get around the officials just to occasionally challenge.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-3RCme2zZRY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-3RCme2zZRY</a>

« Last Edit: March 4, 2024, 09:40:00 am by Gili Gulu »
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #9858 on: March 4, 2024, 09:42:59 am »
I don't rate Gavi, every time I've watched him he's just run around kicking people, but Pedri has been brilliant.  Big loss.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #9859 on: March 20, 2024, 01:45:49 pm »

'Dani Alves: Ex-Brazil player to be freed on €1m bail after rape conviction':-

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68616200

'A Spanish court has ruled that ex-Barcelona and Brazil footballer Dani Alves can be conditionally released from jail after serving about a quarter of his sentence for rape.

Alves, who was sentenced to four and a half years in prison last month, will be released on a €1m (£853,000) bail.

He had been held in pre-trial detention since January 2023.

The 40-year-old was found guilty of raping a woman in a Barcelona nightclub in December 2022.

The victim's lawyer called the decision "a scandal".'

more in the linked article above.

:no

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #9860 on: March 20, 2024, 01:54:18 pm »
'Dani Alves: Ex-Brazil player to be freed on €1m bail after rape conviction':-

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68616200

'A Spanish court has ruled that ex-Barcelona and Brazil footballer Dani Alves can be conditionally released from jail after serving about a quarter of his sentence for rape.

Alves, who was sentenced to four and a half years in prison last month, will be released on a €1m (£853,000) bail.

He had been held in pre-trial detention since January 2023.

The 40-year-old was found guilty of raping a woman in a Barcelona nightclub in December 2022.

The victim's lawyer called the decision "a scandal".'

more in the linked article above.

:no

So if you're a rich multi millionaire, you can commit any heinous crime and buy yourself freedom?
This fucking stinks.

Offline ValiantInstance

• Main Stander
« Reply #9861 on: March 20, 2024, 02:22:51 pm »
So if you're a rich multi millionaire, you can commit any heinous crime and buy yourself freedom?
This fucking stinks.
*cough* Marcos Alonso *cough*

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9862 on: April 18, 2024, 08:33:21 pm »
Barcelona were fined €25,000 ($26,600) by UEFA on Thursday for Nazi salutes and racist gestures by fans at a Champions League game against Paris Saint-Germain last week. UEFA said the proven charge of "racist behavior" followed images circulating of misconduct by some fans at Parc des Princes on April 10.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39969086/uefa-fines-barcelona-fans-nazi-salutes-racist-gestures
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."