The Liverpool FC Forum > Hillsborough Memorial Board

* Inquests 2015/16 - News Only Updates *

(1/79) > >>

MichaelA:
This thread is for 'news only' updates. We will only allow updates from legitimate media sources who have carried out the necessary due diligence with regard to the Attorney General's directive on contempt of court. Please do not post speculative replies to anything in this thread, or indeed elsewhere on RAWK or on social media.

We want to see charges.

We want to see convictions.

We want to see Justice For The Ninety Six.

MichaelA:
Liverpool Echo 28th March:

A further nine people have been identified as suspects in the investigations into the Hillsborough disaster - taking the total number of suspects up to 22.
Criminal investigation Operation Resolve has revealed it has started interviews with 13 people under criminal caution.

Four of these were joint interviews with police watchdog the IPCC, which yesterday revealed officers in the process of interviewing 13 retired and serving police officers under criminal caution for offences including misconduct in public office, perverting the course of justice and manslaughter .
Operation Resolve has identified six retired police officers and seven people from other organisations as suspects and started interviews with them in the past two weeks.

In an update from the IPCC today the commission revealed it had received further correspondence concerning allegations of police surveillance on Hillsborough campaigners.
It said a specific allegation had been made concerning West Midlands Police officers and was being investigated.
A spokesman for the IPCC said: "It is alleged that an individual was followed during the original inquest by two people who identified themselves as West Midlands Police officers."
The commission has also prioritised investigative work into White's News Agency after a request by coroner Lord Justice Goldring.
Officers will look into suggestions the agency received information from senior police officers about the behaviour of Liverpool fans which led to negative reports in the press.
Deputy chair of the IPCC Rachel Cerfontyne said she expected more suspects to be identified as investigations continued.
She said: "We have moved into the phase of conducting suspect interviews.
"These are interviews under criminal caution of individuals who are suspected of committing offences such as perverting the course of justice, misconduct in a public office and manslaughter.
"These are the first tranche of individuals we have deemed suspects. I do not expect them to be the last."

MichaelA:
IPCC March 2014 Update - pdf download.

Zeb:
For those wishing to follow details in depth.

The Hillsborough Inquest website is found here. Over time it will have transcripts and evidence published on it.

There is also a twitter feed which updates when information becomes available on the website.

electricghost:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hillsborough-inquests-jury-six-men-6897404

Jury of six men and five women appointed in first stage of fresh Hillsborough inquests

The 11 jurors responsible for deciding how 96 Liverpool fans died at Hillsborough were appointed today in the first stage of fresh inquests into the tragedy.

A jury of six men and five women were selected from more than 100 potential jurors at the landmark first day of the new inquests in Warrington.

Earlier relatives described the occasion as “historic” and spoke to the ECHO of their mixed emotions ahead of the hearings, expected to last up to 12 months.

Families and legal teams packed the specially converted courtroom in Birchwood Park as the jury selection took place.

Speaking on her way into the hearing this morning Amy McGlone, whose dad Alan died in the 1989 tragedy, said: “I don't really know how I’m feeling.

“We've waited for this for such a long time and now it's here it's a funny feeling.

“I had no sleep last night, I'm nervous, I'm shaking and I feel sick.”

Evelyn Mills, who lost son Peter McDonnell in the disaster, said: “I do feel apprehensive but this is what I've campaigned for for 25 years.

“I'm feeling optimistic and brighter this time.

“There's a different feel to it now and I'm really hopeful.”

Selection of a panel of 10 reserves also began, and jurors were told they would be formally sworn in tomorrow.

Any juror where a problem emerges overnight could be changed in the morning.

Potential jurors were asked to indicate if they were supporters of Liverpool, Nottingham Forest or Sheffield Wednesday football clubs.

Outside the hearing Louise Brookes, sister of victim Andrew Brookes, said: “I am really nervous and cautious but hopeful

.“We can't assume anything. We're keen to get things started, it's been a quarter of a century we've been waiting for it.”

Sandra Stringer, whose son Paul Carlile died at Hillsborough, added: “I'm just grateful we've got to this day because I never thought it would happen.

“I just thank God we're here.”

Steve Kelly, who lost brother Michael in the tragedy, said he was feeling nervous.

He added: “We hope it's the beginning of the end for us.

“It's a very stressful day.”

Chair of the Hillsborough Family Support Group Margaret Aspinall said the families had a sense of trepidation.

Mrs Aspinall, whose 18-year-old son James died in the disaster, said: “It’s nice to be able to get to the start of these inquests.“It has been a terribly long journey and hopefully this is the beginning of the end of it. I feel like I’ve given my whole life to this.”

She added: “The inquests are going to be very, very difficult – not just for the families but for the survivors who have suffered a lot.

“It is an awful thing to go through but it is something we have to go through to get the whole truth.

“The only thing I hope and pray is the families get some peace at the end of it and have truth, transparency and honesty.

“That’s all we’ve ever wanted and hopefully we will get peace for families and survivors.”

Sheila Coleman, from the Hillsborough Justice Campaign, said the start of the hearings was a “historic day.”

Ms Coleman said the inquests would be very difficult for the families.

She added: “It is like putting your head down and walking into the wind.

“You just get on with it, which is what we have done for so many years, and we really did face a gale force wind for many years.

“Every time we got blown back we would start walking again and we will continue walking.

“The families have suffered – they are battle scarred now.”Mrs Aspinall thanked the people of Liverpool for their support of the families.

She said: “I look at our city as a whole – not just the club, Everton fans as well, the whole city and everybody who has supported families for all these years.

“Without them families couldn’t have stood up and done this.

“No matter what transpires at the end of this journey with their support we know people will always remember the 96.”

She added: “People say to me, ‘honestly, do you think you’ll get what you want, do you think we’ll get the whole truth’?

“I can’t answer that.

“All I know is that’s what we’re fighting for, not just for our loved ones but for the 24,000 fans who were there – they deserve the truth, they all deserve the truth.”

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version