Author Topic: Round Table - Liverpool v Man City. Coutin-who?  (Read 40376 times)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
Round Table - Liverpool v Man City. Coutin-who?
« on: January 19, 2018, 11:20:04 pm »
"Broke into the wrong goddam rec room didn't you, you bastards?" - Burt Gummer, Tremors

All good things come to an end, and for Manchester City, they were having a bit too much of a good thing. 22 games unbeaten since the start of the season, 18 wins on the trot at one point, and even managed to navigate the choppy, Werthers Original-flavoured waters that is a Roy Hodgson Crystal Palace. This season they have been, in the league at least, a symphony. Perfectly in tune with each other, they gobble up the ball, chew it for 700 passes or so, and then spit it out into the other team's goal when they feel like scoring. They have been a Bach fugue, a Mozart concerto and a Bernstein musical all in one packet.

But nothing beats a symphony like a well-strummed, amp'd-up, high decibel power chord. And against City, Liverpool and Klopp's "Heavy Metal Football" was playing all the power chords it knew, turned up to 11, with silver plectrums, and a Les Paul guitar.

And City didn't know what to do. At least for 80 minutes. They may have already had a goal at that point, but they were in no way in control of the game. They had a lot of the ball, but they weren't really hurting us with it. But when we got it?

"Is this the bit where we’re supposed to make guitars collide
And is this the bit where we release all that raw energy
And is this the bit where we go crashing through those barriers"
- I was a Teenage Honved Fan, HMHB

It's not often that a Pep team looks lost. It so happens that it usually occurs against Klopp. The total Gegen of the Press, the Heavy of the Metal, and the Kerrang of the Bang (I made that one up), meant that no matter where City went, moved, passed or dribbled, there were 2-3 red shirts there, itching to liberate them from the ball, and make them turn and retreat with the speed of a man who has just eaten a curry and has caught himself mid-follow-through, and is making an urgent dash to the lav. There was absolutely no respite for City, especially in the second half.

Tactically, there wasn't much new or different from either team in terms of shape. A back four, a deep mid, a running mid, a mid who joined the attack, two wingers, and a striker. The difference being that Firmino had licence to roam and press, whereas Aguero was a pure striker, hanging about the defenders, hoping to catch a through ball, cross, or bad pass:

The Liverpool performance was midfield-heavy, in that a lot of the work that led to the win was done in the midfield. This alignment of players was possibly the ONLY alignment of players that could have outworked City, used the ball well, run at their defenders, create chances, and still have the speed and energy to get back and defend at pace. Can was steadfast, Gini was hard-working and functional to the highest degree, and Oxlade-Chamberlain was the jewel in the midfield crown - showing Wenger and Arsenal what could have been if he'd been trusted more in central midfield. He deserved ANY goal on the day, but he definitely deserved the opener. And it was a goal that was a nice mix of industry and skill, as the tireless work of Firmino pressing from behind released the ball to Chamberlain who duly powered the ball to the edge of the box and smashed one into the far corner. All goalkeeping debate aside, the City goal was a defensively poor goal to concede, with Gomez losing the flight of the crossfield ball, Matip being sold an obvious dummy, and Gomez again making an error (chasing the ball rather than anticipating it's likely destination) just before the shot. But no problem. We went in at the break 1-1, and it came down to which manager would get their team prepared for the second half the best.

We know the answer to that.

Second half added more Geg to the Press, while City tried to trust their possession patterns. No dice - Liverpool were swarming around them like flies around a thing that flies swarm around. A second goal would have been great, but the Reds treated us to goals 2, 3 and 4. We were 4-1 up against the unbeaten, league-champions-elect, with 10 minutes to go. And they still didn't know what happened. Gini, Can, Chamberlain and Robertson were running the show. Robertson - possibly the most Emlyn Hughes-esque game from any Liverpool defender in aeons. He wasn't just ferociously stalking Sterling at every turn - he was stalking City's own left-side defenders at one point. If Chamberlain and Gini hadn't had such great games, he surely would have been a contender for MOTM. His work-rate, and the work-rate of the midfielders, served to nullify and torment a City team who tried to play a power chord in return, but ended up only breaking their strings:

Defensively, the back line was solid, tight, and focused their efforts where the main dangers were (although this might have been what caused us to switch off for City's first goal. We corralled De Bruyne and Sterling, which cut off the supply to Aguero. Gundogan is not the player he used to be, although he's effective, and the long crossfield ball to Sane was probably the only real threatening pattern they could pose to us in the first half. The subs disrupted the rhythm, and Can off reduced our workrate some, which allowed them back in, but we were never in danger. The fact that Otamendi had the most defensive actions of City showed that in every facet of the game, at every phase, Salah, Ox and Firmino had the City left side befuddled and under pressure.  The work of Mane and Robertson on the opposite side meant that Walker was kept busy defending, and wasn't able to have the attacking impact he usually has against the lesser teams. Overall, our defensive actions went through the whole team, rather than being settled at the back four, which is probably where most of City's opponents have defended this season:

City will probably not face a performance like that again, unless we meet them in a cup competition. We were power chords; we were volume; we were 50 stacked amplifiers of sound; we were Klopp, and we let City know what time it was for 80 minutes. And they won't be counting the days until they meet us again. We needed verve, we needed effort, we needed organization, we needed energy, will, strength, aggression and skill.

What we didn't need, was sat in Barcelona, probably cheering us on, but being quickly and deftly forgotten in the thrall of an outstanding performance.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
Re: Round Table - Liverpool v Man City. Coutin-who?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 11:31:21 pm »
After that analysis nothing left to contribute really thanks PoP.

Just one observation obviously we controlled the game for 80 odd minutes. So should we have carried on pressing for 94mins or was it an error bringing on a player clearly unsuited to being playing in midfield in Milner which gave City a sniff and hence the nervousnes.

Do we need a midfield controller when the heavy metal football has done its job?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 11:32:24 pm »

Just one observation obviously we controlled the game for 80 odd minutes. So should we have carried on pressing for 94mins or was it an error bringing on a player clearly unsuited to being playing in midfield in Milner which gave City a sniff and hence the nervousnes.

Do we need a midfield controller when the heavy metal football has done its job?

Kloppo would probably say "no" ;D

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 11:56:19 pm »
Brilliant write up PoP.  As artistic in its prose as it was informative in its content.

Thank you

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 02:19:56 am »
Cheers PoP.

The prefomances for Ox, Can, and Robertson were a cut above.

Robertson in particular was brilliant, he harrowing of the opposition was outstanding. He had them all running and at a loss for what to do, on another day his pressing would have created a goal as Bobby's shot would have gone in. He has an insane amount of tackles and interceptions.

All in All a stellar job my the Reds.

Truly amazing what happens when there is not a sending off early in the game.

BTW I read somewhere that Can didn't miss any duels.

Also Klopps record against Pep is fantastic, he accounts for 1/3 of Peps losses.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Xabier Alonso Olano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 02:59:47 am »
Styles make fights.

A boxing term most applicable to this game. A team that is elite at passing out and playing through the defensive third up to the attacking third vs the best press and counter attacking team in the world; it always had the ability to produce a cracking match up.

It really was an immediate classic.

The first half was a classy battle from the off, the second half a full throttled punch up that swung both ways.

It was a game that demonstrated how good we are, and also how good we will be once Van Dijk is added to that 11. A perfect result for Klopp, not so much for us less inclined of rollercoaster rock and roll games.

Alas, I finally understand what Klopp means when he says he would rather win 4-3 than 1-0. We are here to be entertained.

Great game, great performance, one of those games where you are gutted it's a wait until the next game. Roll on Monday.

Up the reds

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 06:52:58 am »
Great to see Half Man Half Biscuit get a mention too 😀.
Thanks PoP.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 08:20:08 am by RogerTheRed »
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 09:13:38 am »
Great write up, thanks.

I know we could play like that, first half we were good second half we pinned them back and pressured their defence into making mistakes and win the ball back in their final third. What blew me away though was how fit we were, to a man we ran our bollocks off and didn't stop for 90 minutes, ok we perhaps tired right at the end, but we had done the business by then. Credit must go to Klopp and his staff for rotating the team through the busy christmas period and still picking up the points, this time last year we were knackerd. Heavy metal football indeed, they couldn't cope, it was truly amazing.

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 09:43:24 am »
I can see the Robertson/ Hughes analogy. Made me smile recalling Crazy Horse in his pomp  :D

I can’t remember a game where we have regained possession from the opposition so much. It displayed tremendous desire. We looked tired, entirely understandably, towards the end which, in my opinion, is how City got back in the game.

Excellent opening post by the way.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 12:04:48 pm »

I can see the Robertson/ Hughes analogy. Made me smile recalling Crazy Horse in his pomp  :D

I can’t remember a game where we have regained possession from the opposition so much. It displayed tremendous desire. We looked tired, entirely understandably, towards the end which, in my opinion, is how City got back in the game.

Excellent opening post by the way.
It's worth noting that there were a few spells much earlier in the game where we were under fairly sustained 'pressure', but just defended well. Periods when City's domination of possession was at an extreme, much of it in our half, when we dropped into shape and defended, rather than pressed high and forced errors.

During one particular 10 minute spell in the middle of the first half, City had over 80% possession (we made less than 2 passes per minute in that spell, most in our own half); we made 3 tackles, 2 fouls, 6 clearances and an interception in that period - almost all of them in the LB/LCB area, it being the main period of the game that De Bruyne did actually get on the ball consistently around and behind Wijnaldum/Mane (he had more passes and touches in that spell than in the next 45 minutes, until another little flurry late in the game). Significantly in that spell, we kept City down to 1 shot (and another moment of 'danger' with the whipped cross that Aguero couldn't reach).

We defended well, and efficiently - for most of the game. The vast majority of our tackles were defensive (more than 80% in our own half), though the 'attacking' ones are those that stick in the memory. We intercepted higher - generally in midfield around the halfway line. Quite cleverly, we commited most of our fouls in City's half; those in our own half were deep or wide.

Certainly we seemed to tire late on, as might be expected having given up two thirds of possession overall. But it was perhaps tiring in defence that was more critical in terms of conceding actual goals, than tiring in midfield and attack - where we had already been pressing in bursts rather than throughout (about two thirds/three quarters of all City's turnovers were forced in three spells of about 10 minutes each; the first 10 minutes, a spell before half time, and the period around our second half goals; there was another mini-flurry of activity around City's 3rd goal as we fought to hold the lead).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 12:53:28 pm by redmark »
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 12:28:58 pm »
Thanks for that piece PoP. Really enjoyed it and learn a lot generally from your posts.

I am not in any way as good as some on here at analysing a game but if one moment encapsulated what our manager wants being in perfect harmony with what fans love it was the vision of Robertson running after the ball like a demented terrier. It was fabulous to Watch and was a perfect example of desire. Probably my favourite moment of the season so far and for me personally sums up a klopp player
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 01:14:54 pm »
Thanks PoP, that was really enjoyable.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 02:02:11 pm »
Excellent post as ever PoP.

This was my musical analogy, if you could imagine the musical scientist at the keyboard being replaced by Les Dawson.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 06:16:17 pm »
Thanks PoP, great post as usual mate.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 06:51:12 pm »
I hate dropping one-liners in a round table thread but that is a lovely OP, PoP. And some good contributions...I'm looking at you redmark!

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 06:56:41 pm »
It's worth noting that there were a few spells much earlier in the game where we were under fairly sustained 'pressure', but just defended well. Periods when City's domination of possession was at an extreme, much of it in our half, when we dropped into shape and defended, rather than pressed high and forced errors.

During one particular 10 minute spell in the middle of the first half, City had over 80% possession (we made less than 2 passes per minute in that spell, most in our own half); we made 3 tackles, 2 fouls, 6 clearances and an interception in that period - almost all of them in the LB/LCB area, it being the main period of the game that De Bruyne did actually get on the ball consistently around and behind Wijnaldum/Mane (he had more passes and touches in that spell than in the next 45 minutes, until another little flurry late in the game). Significantly in that spell, we kept City down to 1 shot (and another moment of 'danger' with the whipped cross that Aguero couldn't reach).

We defended well, and efficiently - for most of the game. The vast majority of our tackles were defensive (more than 80% in our own half), though the 'attacking' ones are those that stick in the memory. We intercepted higher - generally in midfield around the halfway line. Quite cleverly, we commited most of our fouls in City's half; those in our own half were deep or wide.

Certainly we seemed to tire late on, as might be expected having given up two thirds of possession overall. But it was perhaps tiring in defence that was more critical in terms of conceding actual goals, than tiring in midfield and attack - where we had already been pressing in bursts rather than throughout (about two thirds/three quarters of all City's turnovers were forced in three spells of about 10 minutes each; the first 10 minutes, a spell before half time, and the period around our second half goals; there was another mini-flurry of activity around City's 3rd goal as we fought to hold the lead).

Enlightening stuff.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 07:08:53 pm »
Thanks PoP. So much to savour about the performance, maybe a little like the first time you drink a good wine and recognise all the flavour notes on the label or review, and the taste lasts. MAgician gone and VVD not available. To go in at half time at 1-1 made it all the more edge of the seat. A couple of differences between us and them, one called Roberts and one called Oxlade Chamberlain, both keen to show what they were made of. I doubt if anyone on their team had anything to prove. I was thinking, bloody hell they are good, but we could win. The goals appear in a flurry. I'm looking at the clock and thinking, they have to score every few minutes from now to beat us, and bugger them, they did start to do that. And then there was a sense of rallying around, of more than equalling their desire to win. And then we won. That was nice.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 07:18:14 pm by markedasred »
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 07:11:33 pm »
So much to savour about the performance, maybe a little like the first time you drink a good wine and recognise all the flavour notes on the label or review, and the taste lasts. MAgician gone and VVD not available. To go in at half time at 1-1 made it all the more edge of the seat. I was thinking, bloody hell they are good, but we could win. The goals appear in a flurry. I'm looking at the clock and thinking, they have to score every few minutes from now to beat us, and bugger them, they did start to do that. And then there was a sense of rallying around, of more than equalling their desire to win. And then we won. That was nice.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 08:03:08 pm »
I hate dropping one-liners in a round table thread but that is a lovely OP, PoP. And some good contributions...I'm looking at you redmark!
They're usually unwelcome but I did it myself in appreciation MR. You're right about redmark, he has a good ability to write hence his scribe tag. Demand more!

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 08:33:47 pm »
Thanks PoP. The match seems a long time ago now and so I'm working a bit on gut feel here.

The first half was cat and mouse and we looked very comfortable until a good ball was misjudged by Gomez and Sane made the most of it. Yes we could have done better but Sane's movement was swift and decisive. For me it was a bit of a sickener as we deserved to go 1-0 in at half-time.

The 2nd half was a mad half where everything happened. City, especially De Bruyne, were comfortable on the ball but didn't create much due to our great defending. Then, bam, bam, bam..........my knees were sore from knee-sliding. A sublime goal from Firmino showed his strengths.........fight for every ball and then a dink over the keeper. Salah did brilliantly to make the third and Mane dispatched it expertly after hitting the post minutes earlier. A misplaced clearance by their keeper was superbly netted by Salah.

Gini, Ox and Can were working their socks off but the sharpness and confidence of City was there to be seen, Suddenly they scored a second and we all knew that the game was back on. A quick third and my nerves were shattered. I couldn't watch the last free-kick and was so relieved when the whistle blew.

It was like a fight between two heavyweights who were going all out to win. At the end we were there for the taking but just about survived,

No other team has blitzed City the way we did. We are blessed to have Salah, Mane and Firmino who can make goals out of nothing.

Some people will focus on us letting in 3 goals but a lot of that was down to City's class; our 4 goals were down to our class.

Klopp stood toe to toe with Guardiola and his team did him proud.

Best game of the season by far.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 08:36:14 pm by stockdam »
#JFT97

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 09:11:43 pm »
It was a great performance from Roberson. Your Hughes comparisons got me thinking something crazy. Could Roberson be the #6 we've been looking for? Or have I drank too much Jaipur?
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a Ł1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2018, 09:13:13 pm »
Also, VVD plays, and we don't concede that 3rd. He'd never lose the plot like Lovren did for that goal.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a Ł1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 01:01:01 pm »
Also, VVD plays, and we don't concede that 3rd. He'd never lose the plot like Lovren did for that goal.
I’m not sure I agree.

One excellent feature of his defending was his stepping into midfield to win the ball...

That’s a gamble of course, and it worked several times in the game to great effect...  it didn’t work on this occasion, but it seemed like it was a premeditated plan, because both him and mario were doing it all game long.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 02:18:38 pm »
I’m not sure I agree.

One excellent feature of his defending was his stepping into midfield to win the ball...

That’s a gamble of course, and it worked several times in the game to great effect...  it didn’t work on this occasion, but it seemed like it was a premeditated plan, because both him and mario were doing it all game long.

But Lovren wasn't caught in midfield for the third goal, he was right next to Gundogan. The problem is he somehow lost the flight of the ball and ended up missing a header by ducking under it. Which is what I assume the poster meant VVD would not do. Also, I imagine VVD would be just as good stepping into midfield and intercepting the ball as Lovren is.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 02:29:14 pm »
But Lovren wasn't caught in midfield for the third goal, he was right next to Gundogan. The problem is he somehow lost the flight of the ball and ended up missing a header by ducking under it. Which is what I assume the poster meant VVD would not do. Also, I imagine VVD would be just as good stepping into midfield and intercepting the ball as Lovren is.

He didn't quite "duck under it" though. He as trying to flick it on and away towards the opposite side, and just made a royal balls of it. His idea was correct, but his execution of it was schoolboy-level bad.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 02:38:41 pm »
He didn't quite "duck under it" though. He as trying to flick it on and away towards the opposite side, and just made a royal balls of it. His idea was correct, but his execution of it was schoolboy-level bad.

Yeah, whatever he was trying he failed miserably. Thankfully there wasn't enough time left for it to effect him or us.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 02:39:24 pm »
Before having even really begun to read it I have to give you immense praise and respect for your choice of opening quotation.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Lazy Gun

• Anny Roader
  • My wife, Jurgena.
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 02:58:48 pm »
Brilliant OP PoP.   HMHB and Bach Fugues in the same opening. :-)

To be something of a contrarian, as much as I loved the Robertson chase in the second half (and I did) it was probably the worst bit of pressing in the game. 
He went on his own and it was only Bobbie hanging around, and not actually pressing, that might have led to a goal attempt.  It was great theatre though.

Its feels like an eternity since that game and Swansea tomorrow.  I hate Monday night games.
Believer

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2018, 03:14:01 pm »
Was he not coming back from midfield?  Maybe not, I forget!

Looking at our defending, it’s astonishing just how few shots we allow on target...  we genuinely restrict teams in their chances on goal..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Fluke

• aka the recently dismissed General Consensus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop.
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2018, 03:15:16 pm »

To be something of a contrarian, as much as I loved the Robertson chase in the second half (and I did) it was probably the worst bit of pressing in the game. 
He went on his own and it was only Bobbie hanging around, and not actually pressing, that might have led to a goal attempt.  It was great theatre though.

Its feels like an eternity since that game and Swansea tomorrow.  I hate Monday night games.
I thought the same.  It got all the plaudits because the sign of character I suppose, but what was annoying was how Moreno was reamed for the same thing.
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave.
Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave.

Offline Fluke

• aka the recently dismissed General Consensus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop.
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2018, 03:15:59 pm »
Was he not coming back from midfield?  Maybe not, I forget!

Looking at our defending, it’s astonishing just how few shots we allow on target...  we genuinely restrict teams in their chances on goal..
Yep!  He had literally just got back to the 6 yard box when the ball came in.
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave.
Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2018, 03:32:19 pm »

I'll be contrari-contrarian, then ;D

The first principle of pressing is "nearest player pressures the ball", and at all times from the start of his pressing, Robertson was the nearest player until they by-passes him at the end. It was textbook pressing. Too often, the player pressing the ball will get uncomfortable that they are leaving their zone, they will start to retreat their level of pressure, and then the other team is in a position to do as you say - hit back in the gap created. But Robertson didn't allow that to happen because he kept their focus on retaining the ball rather than delivering it. I wouldn't be surprised if Klopp said to the rest of the team after "that's how you do it, boys" ;D

Offline Lazy Gun

• Anny Roader
  • My wife, Jurgena.
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2018, 05:58:45 pm »
Understood, but my point is that no-one went with him on the press.  Probably understandable at that stage of the game. 
Believer

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2018, 06:02:48 pm »
.......But Robertson didn't allow that to happen because he kept their focus on retaining the ball rather than delivering it. I wouldn't be surprised if Klopp said to the rest of the team after "that's how you do it, boys" ;D

It was important he either won the ball, got it out of play or fouled though, otherwise there is  big dependency on team mates covering.
Loved it at the time and still think it was mad, but I'm all for mad!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2018, 06:06:41 pm »
It was important he either won the ball, got it out of play or fouled though, otherwise there is  big dependency on team mates covering.
Loved it at the time and still think it was mad, but I'm all for mad!

True, but that's what the bulk of "Pressing" training is concerned with - not the pressure part so much as how to cover the gaps behind the pressure pocket zonally, by filling in and sliding over, etc. It's almost certainly not a situation that we wouldn't have trained for. If he (or any other fullback) does it again, it's not something we should worry about too much. Pressing always involves a bit of mad-bastardness. ;D

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2018, 06:29:28 pm »
Pressing is a group tactic, one player closes down...

Or in Robertson's case, closes down half the opposition...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2018, 08:53:49 pm »
Importantly it got the crowd going more and showed the desire which had been lacking in the past.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2018, 09:00:16 pm »
Pressing is a group tactic, one player closes down...

Or in Robertson's case, closes down half the opposition...

The amazing thing is that kids do it naturally, and then we coach it out of them, only to try to coach it back into them again when they're older ;D

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2018, 09:37:42 pm »
The amazing thing is that kids do it naturally, and then we coach it out of them, only to try to coach it back into them again when they're older ;D

Gotta justify the coaching wages, I suppose... ;)
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2018, 09:39:34 pm »
Gotta justify the coaching wages, I suppose... ;)

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! They'll find out!