Author Topic: Life of a soap character  (Read 10420 times)

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Life of a soap character
« Reply #80 on: September 6, 2019, 01:13:52 am »
If the character in question is a shopkeeper, they will often have occasion to say (always at the very start of a scene) “thanks Mrs Miggins, have a good day love” to some ageing bint who isn’t allowed to speak back to them, but instead gives a mute little nod before walking out of the shop.

At no point will they ever mutter “miserable arl c*nt” at this blatant display of gratuitous rudeness.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #81 on: September 6, 2019, 08:33:04 am »
If the character in question is a shopkeeper, they will often have occasion to say (always at the very start of a scene) “thanks Mrs Miggins, have a good day love” to some ageing bint who isn’t allowed to speak back to them, but instead gives a mute little nod before walking out of the shop.

At no point will they ever mutter “miserable arl c*nt” at this blatant display of gratuitous rudeness.

:D Always love the non speaking extras. Like the drinkers in a pub who all go quiet and stare the moment someone raises their voice.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: September 6, 2019, 11:04:16 am »

Brilliant :)

My Arl fella always used to laugh at this. When I was a just a small kid and mum had the soaps on, I remember him doing impressions of the (Mrs Miggins) non speaking extra, smiling and nodding. Every time it happens nowadays I think of it.

Not sure if its the fact the producers have to pay extra to actors for speaking lines or the actor may have to have an equity card to be able to speak.  Obviously extras dragged off the street wont have an Equity card.

Maybe one for the 'ASK RAWK' thread?

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #83 on: September 6, 2019, 11:53:13 am »
It must be said though, the 'silent' extras will ALWAYS join in with a hearty rendition of 'Happy Birthday' in the local pub when one of the main characters is being serenaded.

Strangely, these people always seem to know the character's name even though they've never met them before..
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #84 on: September 6, 2019, 12:31:18 pm »

My Arl fella always used to laugh at this. When I was a just a small kid and mum had the soaps on, I remember him doing impressions of the (Mrs Miggins) non speaking extra, smiling and nodding. Every time it happens nowadays I think of it.

Not sure if its the fact the producers have to pay extra to actors for speaking lines or the actor may have to have an equity card to be able to speak.  Obviously extras dragged off the street wont have an Equity card.

I'll ask my girlfriend this later when I see her. She used to do extra work and was in that 51st State film amongst others.

She also trained with a few local actors who are on ads currently and a woman who stars in Benidorm. She should know the answer to this.

My mate's brother also extras in Emmerdale and Corrie at times.
« Last Edit: September 6, 2019, 12:32:56 pm by Sons of pioneerS »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #85 on: September 6, 2019, 12:36:27 pm »
It must be said though, the 'silent' extras will ALWAYS join in with a hearty rendition of 'Happy Birthday' in the local pub when one of the main characters is being serenaded.

Strangely, these people always seem to know the character's name even though they've never met them before..

Haha they fucking live a good old sing song in the pub. :D

Anyone remember that terrible extra in Corrie who was a press photographer? Was hoping there might’ve a gif of it but sadly not.

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #86 on: September 6, 2019, 12:52:10 pm »
Anyone remember that terrible extra in Corrie who was a press photographer? Was hoping there might’ve a gif of it but sadly not.
This one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWdxwK68g3I

"Just stand there clicking your camera every few seconds". 

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: September 6, 2019, 01:06:46 pm »
The most famous Soap extra of all time

Its only "Big Ron" from Enders.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: September 6, 2019, 01:10:22 pm »
Big Ron's stunning acting CV is up there with De Niro and Brando

His first acting role was in the film Carry On Girls in 1973 where he played an uncredited role as a "Bearded Audience Member"

:lmao I'm in bits here

Edit: To be fair to Big Ron he was in Star Wars and View to a Kill so fair do's to the big fella.
« Last Edit: September 6, 2019, 01:19:42 pm by Buck Pete »

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #89 on: September 6, 2019, 02:12:46 pm »
The most famous Soap extra of all time

Its only "Big Ron" from Enders.

Paid cast member: “‘Ere Ron, mind me stall for 5 minutes would ya?”

Big Ron: *nods*

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: September 6, 2019, 02:16:58 pm »

Ron uses his luncheon voucher and collects free cup of tea and cheese roll from the studio catering van

Happy Ron

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: September 6, 2019, 05:08:53 pm »

I love how this always happens and the person minding the stall never complains or never asks the pricing structure of the stall they are minding.  Clothes stall, flower stall, fruit and veg stall; the non-speaking extras are experts at everything

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #92 on: September 6, 2019, 06:51:00 pm »

I asked Mrs. Spion about this and she said it's because if they speak they have to be paid, even if it's just one word like hello or goodbye. Her extra work was quite a while ago now, but she said if you spoke at all the rate was something like £300 extra.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #93 on: September 6, 2019, 07:12:52 pm »
I knew someone who did extra work who said you’re advised to mouth “rhubarb” over and over when talking to another extra in the background.

I think Neighbours had the worst extras. They’d be stood behind the couch at a character’s birthday house party, nursing a can of beer and smiling weakly while the main throng of characters engaged in feeble, under-rehearsed banter.

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2020, 02:51:36 pm »
You're in a coma and wake up not knowing anybody having been at deaths door...within a fortnight you're doing the school run and drinking at the local pub without any obvious side effects.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2020, 02:59:19 pm »
Nobody eats branded goods.

Everyone's always in a rush.

You only use a taxi if you're leaving for ever.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2020, 03:26:49 pm »

Everyone does their big shop at the local corner shop.

That said, Corrie have a Co Op and Costa now, on the outside anyway, I’m sure they paid a lot for the privilege.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2020, 10:10:19 am »

Always makes me laugh, the made-up names of food and drinks in Eastenders.

'Glovers' crisps being one.
FAME makes a man take things over

Online Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2020, 10:25:22 am »
Social workers and folk of that ilk are judgemental jobsworths intent on imposing misery.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2020, 07:59:24 pm »
Haha I see Danny Dyer's missus has basically become an alcoholic overnight. You can guaranteed she'll be cured twice as quickly though.

Online Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #100 on: May 2, 2020, 08:06:14 am »
A character who is imposing misery on another person is highly regarded by most other people - apart from the victim, everyone else thinks they’re great despite being secretly evil. 

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #101 on: May 2, 2020, 08:27:42 am »
Soaps all have characters who are rich.

They will all without exception lose everything at some point in their time in their soap lifetime.  Yet they will all also magically return to being wealthy after a short time. Long time cast members can do this several times.

During the crisis they will drink near whiskey form a crystal glass, throw the glass and bottle against a wall or sweep them off the table.

All characters will slide their backs down a wall and sweep stuff off the table in moments of utter despair.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: May 2, 2020, 08:28:54 am »
A character who is imposing misery on another person is highly regarded by most other people - apart from the victim, everyone else thinks they’re great despite being secretly evil. 

Must be something in the industrial air that attracts so many absolute psychopaths to a single street.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #103 on: May 2, 2020, 09:53:19 am »
Must be something in the industrial air that attracts so many absolute psychopaths to a single street.
Yet there’s never a single news crew in sight. At the very least, you’d think The One Show would do a feature on it.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: May 2, 2020, 12:11:40 pm »
Yet there’s never a single news crew in sight. At the very least, you’d think The One Show would do a feature on it.

Nor have they made it to any True crime documentaries like Killer In My Village
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #105 on: May 2, 2020, 01:08:44 pm »
Soaps all have characters who are rich.

They will all without exception lose everything at some point in their time in their soap lifetime.  Yet they will all also magically return to being wealthy after a short time. Long time cast members can do this several times.

During the crisis they will drink near whiskey form a crystal glass, throw the glass and bottle against a wall or sweep them off the table.

All characters will slide their backs down a wall and sweep stuff off the table in moments of utter despair.
You forgot to mention the curtains will be closed at this point, leaving the house in darkness.

Also some concerned acquaintance will knock at the door knowing the character is inside. If the situation is dire, they might even have a one way conversation with said character not replying, just weeping at what he hears.

Online Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #106 on: May 2, 2020, 05:13:18 pm »
You forgot to mention the curtains will be closed at this point, leaving the house in darkness.

Also some concerned acquaintance will knock at the door knowing the character is inside. If the situation is dire, they might even have a one way conversation with said character not replying, just weeping at what he hears.
If they do get into the property they’ll support the sad character in a walk to the sink and make them drink water and then make them a cup of coffee. Following this ‘nadir’, the sad character will go on a journey of recovery that’ll last about 1.5 episodes. Within a week they’ll be back ordering drinks at the bar, enjoying the company of fellow customers with their problems a distant memory.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #107 on: May 2, 2020, 05:18:43 pm »
Nor have they made it to any True crime documentaries like Killer In My Village

Or Tory in my Story...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #108 on: May 2, 2020, 06:06:40 pm »
If they do get into the property they’ll support the sad character in a walk to the sink and make them drink water and then make them a cup of coffee. Following this ‘nadir’, the sad character will go on a journey of recovery that’ll last about 1.5 episodes. Within a week they’ll be back ordering drinks at the bar, enjoying the company of fellow customers with their problems a distant memory.
Oh, I forgot. When they get into the property the very first thing they will do is throw open the curtains. Sad character will then shield their eyes.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #109 on: May 3, 2020, 02:35:15 am »

Haha so true. East Enders classic. Usually packing in a rush and in the dead of night.

Online Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #110 on: May 3, 2020, 12:46:30 pm »

And when you leave the street you never return - not even for weddings or funerals of loved-ones.

Stag and hen do’s are only attended by people who live within 20 meters of your front door.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #111 on: May 3, 2020, 01:28:09 pm »
And when you leave the street you never return - not even for weddings or funerals of loved-ones.

Stag and hen do’s are only attended by people who live within 20 meters of your front door.

And are only permitted the night before the wedding.

Statistically, at least half of stats or hens will sleep with a relative of their other half within 24 hours of the wedding.

Online Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #112 on: May 3, 2020, 02:17:56 pm »
And are only permitted the night before the wedding.

Statistically, at least half of stats or hens will sleep with a relative of their other half within 24 hours of the wedding.
Yep. With the unfaithful act revealed the next day during the vows

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #113 on: May 3, 2020, 03:15:02 pm »
Big Ron's stunning acting CV is up there with De Niro and Brando

His first acting role was in the film Carry On Girls in 1973 where he played an uncredited role as a "Bearded Audience Member"

:lmao I'm in bits here

Edit: To be fair to Big Ron he was in Star Wars and View to a Kill so fair do's to the big fella.

Big Ron played a cellmate in South Atlantic Raiders. His line to Adrian Edmondson or Rik Mayall (forget which one) was;

"Hello, you're going to get a very sore bottom."

Delivered whilst wearing leather pants and greasing himself up with baby oil.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: May 3, 2020, 06:41:49 pm »

Probably because anyone who dares lets it slip they are getting a taxi to the shops or into town rather than walking or getting a bus is in serious danger of suspicion.

"ooooohh get you flashing the cash"

As much as we hate Mancs ourselves they really are not a backward civilisation as the writers of Corrie make out (who are probably all Southerners anyway which probably explains it)

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: May 3, 2020, 06:53:09 pm »
Yep. With the unfaithful act revealed the next day during the vows

Yes. 99% of soap weddings are stopped during the ceremony

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #116 on: May 3, 2020, 07:05:34 pm »
Yes. 99% of soap weddings are stopped during the ceremony

If the service goes without a hitch it’s because one of the happy couple will die later that night.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: May 3, 2020, 07:41:06 pm »
If the service goes without a hitch it’s because one of the happy couple will die later that night.

The bride and groom will invite the obnoxious overly camp token Gay guy from behind the bar or the ignorant boring nosy pensioner that everyone detests before they even think about inviting anyone from outside of the street or square. Old friends, Extended family or close work colleagues who don't have an equity card need not attend.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #118 on: May 3, 2020, 07:59:28 pm »
Just say Sean and Norris mate, we won’t judge you in here.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: May 4, 2020, 01:01:14 am »
Just say Sean and Norris mate, we won’t judge you in here.

:)

I didn't want to make out I was a big Corrie fan by knowing their actual character names.

Oh and...Go Yazmeen!!!