Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3470257 times)

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #55880 on: March 13, 2023, 07:05:32 pm »
It's why he didn't turn up to the Golden Globes (which are handed out by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association).  They gave it to Austin Butler, but Fraser made his intentions clear really early on.

My kids still love George Of The Jungle so I have a bit of a soft spot for him.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #55881 on: March 13, 2023, 07:22:08 pm »
Surprised at the lukewarm reaction to Everything Everywhere All at Once, thought a lot of people liked it. Personally, I didn't. At all. As above, it started off ok but was all over the pace by the end and felt like it was trying to be too clever.

On the other hand, I saw Banshees of Inisherin and absolutely loved it - that should have cleaned up yesterday instead. That a little film like that got so many nominations is great in and of itself but considering how much better is that Everything Everywhere All at Once, it's a still bit rubbish :P
I liked it well enough, but yeah, it's all over the place (intentionally, obviously) and not everything lands; Especially some of the silliest bits - like the sausage fingers or the ratatouille reference - or some of the more emotional parts, but that might just be me. It does have a very fresh and propulsive energy, but it frankly had me a bit exhausted by the end. Given the directing and editing style, it's obviously targeted at the current "Instagram story, youtube reels, short attention span" generation, so it doesn't surprise me that it seems to be a big hit with them, but I don't think it's a movie that will age all that well.

Still not all that bothered by it winning some of the big awards last night. I mean, after CODA won "Best Picture' last year, anything vaguely original winning it, is an improvement. Some of the "lesser" awards it won last night had me baffled though. Jamie Lee Curtis (and I really like her), being nominated, let alone winning best-supporting actress, was shocking. Ditto winning original script, especially over Banshees. I mean the script is a bunch of juvenile nonsense ideas, made to work by some very impressive technical achievements and the directors' vision and heart; but it's the epitome of style over substance, or rather, the style is the substance. So, EEATO winning that award was particularly jarring to me.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 08:06:27 pm by Lastrador »

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55882 on: March 13, 2023, 07:26:19 pm »
The script isn't great, like a bunch of skittled up people threw word clouds at a fuzzy felt board.  McDonagh's script for Inisherin is absolutely sublime.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55883 on: March 13, 2023, 08:03:38 pm »
Finally saw Ant man. Great film and really enjoyed - Bill Murray and a giant head arf - remember him from the comics.

Nice story and I have to check here, but was the villain the dude from Loki.. In fact.. will check now..

Yeah it was him! Thought so! Awesome :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #55884 on: March 13, 2023, 08:13:21 pm »
The script isn't great, like a bunch of skittled up people threw word clouds at a fuzzy felt board.  McDonagh's script for Inisherin is absolutely sublime.
Agree on both accounts. Honestly think the editing had as much, or even more, of a hand in shaping EEAAO than the script did. While the greatness of The Banshees of Inisherin is mostly in the script.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55885 on: March 13, 2023, 08:41:30 pm »
At least Jenny the Donkey was able to attend.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55886 on: March 13, 2023, 08:47:03 pm »
I loved EEAAO, but I went into it having had really disappointing post-covid experiences for top blockbusters. Tenet was mediocre, as was the new Bond film which was dull. This was all topped off by Dune, one of the most po-faced, dour films I'd ever seen. A truly awful film.

So having enjoyed Everything Everywhere, I was just struck at how it didn't take itself seriously and had much needed heart to it. The performances are out of this world, compared to Daniel Craig's dour Bond and Timothy Chalamet in Dune who was just acting out an extended aftershave commercial. Ke Huy Quan and Michelle Yeoh were fab winners though.

So maybe I just view it relative to the other dross that preceded it. It's not one of the greatest films ever made but its damn fine blockbuster that is original and heartfelt. A much needed palette cleanser amongst all the other dross blockbusters these days.

Biggest head scratcher is Colin Farrell not winning best actor. All ably assiyed by a script that should have won too. Sublime in the equally brilliant Inisherins, but Brendan Frasers performance in The Whale was typical Oscar baiting nonsense that always succeeds unfortunately.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 08:54:12 pm by mattD »

Offline jizzspunk

• Cumming soon. Or going. Depends how 'real' it gets. #livinginrealism
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55887 on: March 13, 2023, 09:07:21 pm »

Biggest head scratcher is Colin Farrell not winning best actor. All ably assiyed by a script that should have won too. Sublime in the equally brilliant Inisherins, but Brendan Frasers performance in The Whale was typical Oscar baiting nonsense that always succeeds unfortunately.

I'm with you..there was nothing standout about The Whale or the performances, all opinions of course, but I can't get my head round the whole premise it drops into Oscar nomination territory, how Fraser eclipsed Butler Farrell or Mescal from the nominations is a head scratcher 🤷‍♂️
according to 24/7 I will be scrambling round for tickets on the exchange all season #STH #19awayclub

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55888 on: March 13, 2023, 09:20:31 pm »
I'm with you..there was nothing standout about The Whale or the performances, all opinions of course, but I can't get my head round the whole premise it drops into Oscar nomination territory, how Fraser eclipsed Butler Farrell or Mescal from the nominations is a head scratcher 🤷‍♂️

Never saw Elvis but how could I forget Mescal. Didn't expect him from an indie film but his performance was incredibly moving. Fraser probably the least deserving of his performance but it guess it was more of a feel good vote as part of his comeback narrative.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #55889 on: March 13, 2023, 10:04:10 pm »
Surprised at the lukewarm reaction to Everything Everywhere All at Once, thought a lot of people liked it. Personally, I didn't. At all. As above, it started off ok but was all over the pace by the end and felt like it was trying to be too clever.

On the other hand, I saw Banshees of Inisherin and absolutely loved it - that should have cleaned up yesterday instead. That a little film like that got so many nominations is great in and of itself but considering how much better is that Everything Everywhere All at Once, it's a still bit rubbish :P

i remember in here lots saying how good EE was, so plenty around here do like it going by that but maybe didn't see the oscars or dont give a shit to say it again or - they really like it, but is it oscar-sweeping worthy? I have no problem with it but sure it's no classic going to be remembered as something that goes in many enthusiast's top 10 of all time type thing. Titanic got 11... that's all i need to hear on that one.

Pulp Fiction lost to Forrest Gump - off the top of my head that was particularly egregious, much more so than anything in this year's oscars and Pacino getting it for Scent of a Woman up against Denzil's Malcom X is another doozy. Film lovers will have their own 'lists' of shit like that. It just demonstates what we all know, often times it's much more than just the merit of that particular actor at that particular time (eg Blanchett was the clear oscar winning performance of the films i saw in 2022).

This era of movies is not going to be seen as some golden era of cinema, not a chance in my view, quite the opposite, despite there being some great movies made during that time (which has always been the case in 'less than stellar' periods during my old ass memory). And if the oscar's did one thing right, it at least reminded me I have to get around to watching RRR  :D
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #55890 on: March 13, 2023, 10:14:09 pm »
Not seen any of the others, lol.

Will you go and see Fast 10 as well?

Creed 3?

John Wick 4?
Hobbs and Shaw was the only F&F film I’ve seen.  I won’t return.

I’ve seen John wick on streaming during lock down…

Creed I’ve missed, I might wait for a few more before I go
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55891 on: March 13, 2023, 10:21:09 pm »
I liked it well enough, but yeah, it's all over the place (intentionally, obviously) and not everything lands; Especially some of the silliest bits - like the sausage fingers or the ratatouille reference - or some of the more emotional parts, but that might just be me. It does have a very fresh and propulsive energy, but it frankly had me a bit exhausted by the end. Given the directing and editing style, it's obviously targeted at the current "Instagram story, youtube reels, short attention span" generation, so it doesn't surprise me that it seems to be a big hit with them, but I don't think it's a movie that will age all that well.

Still not all that bothered by it winning some of the big awards last night. I mean, after CODA won "Best Picture' last year, anything vaguely original winning it, is an improvement. Some of the "lesser" awards it won last night had me baffled though. Jamie Lee Curtis (and I really like her), being nominated, let alone winning best-supporting actress, was shocking. Ditto winning original script, especially over Banshees. I mean the script is a bunch of juvenile nonsense ideas, made to work by some very impressive technical achievements and the directors' vision and heart; but it's the epitome of style over substance, or rather, the style is the substance. So, EEATO winning that award was particularly jarring to me.

That's a good post most and more of a fair summary than mine. I thought it started off ok and was interested to see where it went and fair enough, it got wackier and wackier but never let up and in the end, it got too much and I checked out and so it lost the emotional impact at the end it was meant to have (ironic that it's targeted at the Youtube generation). I think I had heard good things about it when I watched it but it definitely hadn't had the hype it has garnered over the past couple of months so my expectations weren't sky high either.

And yeah, Banshees of Inisherin losing out on original script to it was pretty bad.

Yep, no surprise given he's a playwright. Love his scripts. I thought Seven Psychopaths was ok but In Bruges, Three Billboards and Banshees are terrific.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #55892 on: March 15, 2023, 01:51:20 am »
Hollywood Reporter is saying Tarantino is prepping his final film. Will be called The Movie Critic and set in 1970s L.A. The current rumour is that it's about Pauline Kael

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55893 on: March 15, 2023, 02:53:17 am »
he's very good at saying what something is about and it being like a peripheral vision thing - not quite as 'you' think

im sure he loves steve mcqueen and i know he does with clint, so something with a dirty harry/bulliet feel wouldn't surprise me

and has tarantino ever done a full on car chase? i can't recall one (kill bill bikes vs car the closest? i dont know) - i'd say car chases are a bit of a dying art in stuff i've seen, maybe put his stamp on one of those
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55894 on: March 15, 2023, 09:02:20 am »
Death Proof was an 'homage' to car chase movies of the 70's.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55895 on: March 17, 2023, 03:35:52 am »
Death Proof was an 'homage' to car chase movies of the 70's.

to me it was more about a homage to stuntmen, anyway that's how i saw it, but you can defo make the argument for the muscle car homage

it wasn't a bullit/the getaway/french connection classic style car chase homage, let's put it that way and it being set in the 70s i can see him going for it

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55896 on: March 17, 2023, 07:25:44 am »
Bullet Train - Brad Pitt. Expected better. Was like a Guy Ritchie movie. I do not recommend watching this.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #55897 on: March 17, 2023, 08:20:17 am »
Finally saw Ant man. Great film and really enjoyed - Bill Murray and a giant head arf - remember him from the comics.

Nice story and I have to check here, but was the villain the dude from Loki.. In fact.. will check now..

Yeah it was him! Thought so! Awesome :)

Jonathan Majors played Kang. He was also in ‘Lovecraft Country’ which didn’t get a second series.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #55898 on: March 17, 2023, 11:13:45 am »
Bullet Train - Brad Pitt. Expected better. Was like a Guy Ritchie movie. I do not recommend watching this.

I enjoyed it.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #55899 on: March 17, 2023, 11:20:16 am »
Thought Bullet Train was a fun watch, but a mess of a movie.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55900 on: March 17, 2023, 04:34:33 pm »
Eggers is doing a Nosferatu remake with william defoe

yep, i bitch about so many remakes/reboots etc but my hypocritcal self is up for this one
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 06:49:36 pm by Armand9 »

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #55901 on: March 17, 2023, 09:56:22 pm »
Watched Cocaine Bear.

LOL!

Suppose you have to take it for what it was. When this film was first rumoured I had high hopes for something semi-serious but they went a different direction.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55902 on: March 17, 2023, 10:21:20 pm »
he's very good at saying what something is about and it being like a peripheral vision thing - not quite as 'you' think

im sure he loves steve mcqueen and i know he does with clint, so something with a dirty harry/bulliet feel wouldn't surprise me

and has tarantino ever done a full on car chase? i can't recall one (kill bill bikes vs car the closest? i dont know) - i'd say car chases are a bit of a dying art in stuff i've seen, maybe put his stamp on one of those

Good observation, now you mention it, I can't remember the last film with a great car chase.

Heard recently that Spielberg was planning a Bullitt film (not a remake but an original story). Probably the ideal director for a car chase thinking about Duel and the tension drawn out over what is just one long chase.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55903 on: March 17, 2023, 10:29:11 pm »
Good observation, now you mention it, I can't remember the last film with a great car chase.
Me neither.

I've got the one in Ronin stuck in my head, but surely there's great ones more recent than 1998

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #55904 on: March 17, 2023, 10:50:41 pm »
Tenet has a great chase if you haven't turned the film off buy the time it happens.

Mad Max Fury Road, say no more.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #55905 on: March 17, 2023, 10:54:08 pm »
Drive (unsurprisingly) has a couple of great chases.
AHA!

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55906 on: March 17, 2023, 11:30:39 pm »
Tenet has a great chase if you haven't turned the film off buy the time it happens.

Mad Max Fury Road, say no more.
Drive (unsurprisingly) has a couple of great chases.
True! Mad Max is great throughout and the chase with Joan from Mad Men in it is a great one. Tenet one didn't quite do it for me, but was one of the better bits for sure!

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #55907 on: March 17, 2023, 11:38:18 pm »
The Bourne Identity chase with the Mini is one of my favourites. 20 years old now.  :o

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55908 on: March 18, 2023, 12:13:38 am »
The Driver. To Live And Die In LA. The French Connection. The Italian Job. Baby Driver.

There’s loads more.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55909 on: March 18, 2023, 08:52:10 am »
The Driver. To Live And Die In LA. The French Connection. The Italian Job. Baby Driver.

There’s loads more.
Ah yeah Baby Driver is another great modern one.

Did a google and that Scar Jo B movie Lucy has a nicely filmed chase scene (also in Paris, like Ronin's) although it's not particularly tense

Offline TankEngine10

• Anny Roader
« Reply #55910 on: March 18, 2023, 09:03:56 am »
Eggers is doing a Nosferatu remake with william defoe

yep, i bitch about so many remakes/reboots etc but my hypocritcal self is up for this one
Sounds like Defoe is one of the other leads but not the vampire. Bill Skarsgard is Orlok, which sounds good - he made a decent Pennywise, and he is a weird looking dude anyway.

Defoe was very good as Max Shreck in Shadow of the Vampire.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55911 on: March 18, 2023, 12:00:18 pm »
Ah yeah Baby Driver is another great modern one.

Did a google and that Scar Jo B movie Lucy has a nicely filmed chase scene (also in Paris, like Ronin's) although it's not particularly tense
All the Fast And Furious. Hate them, seen everyone. ;D

The Mission Impossible films I’ve watched have had decent chases. There’s a decent modern one in The Rhythm Section where Blake Lively drives around, I think Tangier, it was gripping.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #55912 on: March 18, 2023, 12:35:08 pm »
A View To A Kill in the front half of a Renault 11.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55913 on: March 18, 2023, 08:11:43 pm »
The Bourne Identity chase with the Mini is one of my favourites. 20 years old now.  :o

when i think back to the golden age of car chases, if that's even a thing but yeah, a 70s thing, the only movies in 'recent memory' that reminded me of that level was the bourne movies

i do recall movies that had car chases in them of course, but chases that were exhillerating in and of themselves (eg it's literally the chase, not guns, not other shit, just the driving) is the shit i've said above - and i think it's a lot to do with the editing (or lack of) as much as anything else, i dont think many editors have that 'eye'

and im not really a fan of car chases, i can usually do without them, maybe that's why only a few catch my eye, which is probably telling in itself

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55914 on: March 18, 2023, 09:56:06 pm »
Thanks mate.

This drafting has really gotten me back to watching films lately. It also helps we're a bit shit so I've been avoiding watching football when we're not playing.

What's great is I've seen a few after them being picked, turns out RAWKites have great taste (well, most of them anyway).
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55915 on: March 18, 2023, 11:07:13 pm »
Thanks mate.

This drafting has really gotten me back to watching films lately. It also helps we're a bit shit so I've been avoiding watching football when we're not playing.

What's great is I've seen a few after them being picked, turns out RAWKites have great taste (well, most of them anyway).
I find I'm really up and down with getting to watching films for the first time, but have also found it's been great for me - it's got me to watch three classics that I've had on the 'watchlist' what feels like forever, so good to have a little nudge/prompt.

Seen Citizen Kane, Barry Lyndon and Anatomy of a Murder (all 8ish hours of them!) so far and loved it. When I next fancy a french film I'm defo stealing one of telekons - maybe Stolen Kisses

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #55916 on: March 19, 2023, 08:02:06 am »
when i think back to the golden age of car chases, if that's even a thing but yeah, a 70s thing, the only movies in 'recent memory' that reminded me of that level was the bourne movies

i do recall movies that had car chases in them of course, but chases that were exhillerating in and of themselves (eg it's literally the chase, not guns, not other shit, just the driving) is the shit i've said above - and i think it's a lot to do with the editing (or lack of) as much as anything else, i dont think many editors have that 'eye'

and im not really a fan of car chases, i can usually do without them, maybe that's why only a few catch my eye, which is probably telling in itself

Was watching Marathon Man the other day and it starts with not so much of a car chase but more road rage gone ballistic and culminating in a big explosion. Proper entertainment. Btw what a great and under appreciated movie this is.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55917 on: March 19, 2023, 08:06:31 am »
i dont even recall that scene but yes, marathon man is a top movie

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #55918 on: March 19, 2023, 10:30:27 am »

Was watching Marathon Man the other day and it starts with not so much of a car chase but more road rage gone ballistic and culminating in a big explosion. Proper entertainment. Btw what a great and under appreciated movie this is.

Is it safe?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Wolverine

• Main Stander
« Reply #55919 on: March 19, 2023, 02:06:30 pm »
God the standard of Movies must be incredibly shite.

I finally saw that Banshee film staring Colin Farell that the internet has been raving about, the acting was good but by god it was boring tedious and had no purpose, two blokes fall out so one cuts his fingers off so the other keeps annoying him.  I mean WTF?  ;D 

I have seen more interesting episodes of Eastenders, like nothing happens in this movie, just feels like some day time soap episode.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 06:46:58 pm by Wolverine »