Author Topic: Concert by your favorite singer/band in old age? Go or no?  (Read 2889 times)

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Concert by your favorite singer/band in old age? Go or no?
« on: October 26, 2019, 12:38:48 am »
So many musical acts are in their 60s or 70s now. With few exceptions, they can't perform as well in concert as they did in their 30s and 40s. When one of them comes to town do you want to buy a ticket or not?

Does it matter if you've seen them before or would this be your first time?

Does it matter if one or more of the important members has left the band or is dead?

Someone asked me to see Billy Joel and The Who this year. I said no to both. I saw The Who in 1989, and while Keith Moon was long dead it still felt like a huge event with the other three near the top of their game. Seeing them now just didn't feel right. Same with Joel. I saw him 7 times between 1980 and 2009. I remember him doing flips off his piano, & running around like a nut, even climbing the lighting cables at one show. Now he's bald, fat & just sits at his piano for 90% of the show (still has a great voice though). I think it would ruin my memories of him.

I've never seen McCartney -- he's the one I'm tempted to see, but...

What say ye RAWK?
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: Concert by your favorite singer/band in old age? Go or no?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 01:11:25 am »
I tend to want to see things that are of their time. I'll listen to stuff from way back in my youth, but I wouldn't particularly want to see the artists perform them now. My old favourites from my youth onwards were Tubeway Army / Gary Numan, and Numan still makes albums and does tours today which gain rave reviews. In fact, I think he was playing The Roundhouse in London tonight. He played Liverpool and sold the venue out a couple of weeks ago, but I was never tempted to go. For one, I hate the old school reunion vibe with his fanbase so distance myself from it. I did it all in 79-81 when he was at his peak. I went to Wembley Arena in '81 to see his supposed farewell show, although he did rethink quitting later on. It was of its time, I did it then and loved it, but I don't want to redo it now.

My other major, and more enduring, favourite is The Cure. Again, I saw them a number of times when they were at their glorious peak. They've toured ever since, do massive shows and still produce albums. They bossed Glastonbury last summer too, but I've not really been that tempted to buy tickets to see them these days.

Would I want to see Roxy Music /Bryan Ferry now? No, not really. For me, bands I like tend to capture the spirit of the age as I perceive it at the time. Once that time has gone, it's sort of gone. I'd rather have my memories as they were, untainted by thinning hair, aching joints, wigs, pot bellies and nostalgia trips.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 10:13:12 pm »
Hard to say really. Not that I paid for any of these gigs, but the quality of old singers/bands can massively vary. In recent years I've seen: the Rolling Stones, painfully bad, I lasted about 15 minutes, Nile Rodgers and Chic, who was superb (he's in his late 60's and still completely got it). Old Reggae singers and bands seem to age remarkably well, however all the reformed Punk/Indie bands are generally dreadful. Chuck D and Flavour Fav of Public Enemy (both around 60) are still lively, angry and relevant. Nick Cave is 62 and still brilliant live.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 06:43:03 am »
Depends on who and where I think. Maca in the Phil would have been good.
I saw Carole King and James Taylor on the 40 years reunion thing and they were both amazingly good (backed by a superb band).
Elton in Vegas would be decent
Dandy Warhols was decent earlier this year too, but they seem to be getting younger
Oasis in the royal court I'd go to

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 07:16:35 am »
I go and see loads of bands who were in their pomp 30 or 40 years ago.

As a regular festival goer (but not to the likes of Glastonbury these days), you get the opportunity to see bands you wouldn't otherwise get the chance.

Very few disappoint. I'm in my mid-40s, so didn't get to see some of these bands originally.

So my opinion is yes, definitely go. Don't compare them to what they might have been in the past, but enjoy them for what they are now. Good music is good music, and you can't beat good live music.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 07:18:11 am by JC the Messiah »
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 09:47:03 am »
I've seen Springsteen with the E Street Band a lot over the last ten years, and they were some of the most life affirming shows I've been to. I saw The Who minus Moon and Entwistle in 2007 and they were fantastic. Undoubtedly not the same as a Who show would have been in 1970, but it's all relative.

A big thing for me is whether they can still hit the notes. I don't like going to shows were the band have to sing songs in different keys. I've seen Fleetwood Mac doing it in videos of more recent tours, it just sounds a bit rubbish imo.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 01:25:26 pm »
I'd give my right arm to see Led Zeppelin again if they ever reformed. I saw them in 1971 and 1973 but couldn't get a ticket for the 2007 reunion. I still go to see Fairport Convention every year on their annual Wintour and they are brilliant live, even after 50 years of performing. There are a lot of bands who were great musicians 30 or 40 years ago and have only got better with age. Maybe some singers suffer a bit as they age, but there's no reason why the rest of the band should. Richard Thompson has just reached his 70th birthday and is still one of the best guitarists you will ever see.

Missing/ dead members is another matter. Very much depends who it is. I could never imagine Queen without Freddie Mercury for example, although I know their shows with Paul Rodgers or Adam Lambert were hugely popular. On the other hand, going back to Fairport Convention, they have had so many members over the years yet are still great - Simon Nicol is the only original, although Dave Pegg has been on bass since 1970.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 04:11:19 pm »
I'd give my right arm to see Led Zeppelin again if they ever reformed. I saw them in 1971 and 1973 but couldn't get a ticket for the 2007 reunion. I still go to see Fairport Convention every year on their annual Wintour and they are brilliant live, even after 50 years of performing. There are a lot of bands who were great musicians 30 or 40 years ago and have only got better with age. Maybe some singers suffer a bit as they age, but there's no reason why the rest of the band should. Richard Thompson has just reached his 70th birthday and is still one of the best guitarists you will ever see.

Missing/ dead members is another matter. Very much depends who it is. I could never imagine Queen without Freddie Mercury for example, although I know their shows with Paul Rodgers or Adam Lambert were hugely popular. On the other hand, going back to Fairport Convention, they have had so many members over the years yet are still great - Simon Nicol is the only original, although Dave Pegg has been on bass since 1970.

True.  Geddy Lee (Rush) couldn't hit the high notes in the last couple of tours but the musicianship was 2nd to none - still at the top of their game in their 60's.  Sadly no more

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 04:38:13 pm »
Back in the very early 80's I was just a few years too young to go see a Jello Biafra fronted Dead Kennedy's.

DK have almost continuously kept going without Jello but i can't imagine watching them without him even though Easy Bay Ray, DH and Klaus Flouride still make up the band

Come on Jello!!  Please agree to a farewell tour.

Same goes for Bon Scott and AC/DC.  Seen AC/DC a few times with Brian Johnson on vocals but always feel gutted that seeing and hearing Bon live was never an option.

Also would love to have seen The Specials with Jerry Dammers.

I was definitely born 10 years too late where music is concerned although I did get to experience the rave era just at the right time

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 04:40:21 pm »
Back in the very early 80's I was just a few years too young to go see a Jello Biafra fronted Dead Kennedy's.

DK have almost continuously kept going without Jello but i can't imagine watching them without him even though Easy Bay Ray, DH and Klaus Flouride still make up the band

Come on Jello!!  Please agree to a farewell tour.

Saw them without Jello a few years back, they were dreadful.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 04:46:57 pm »
Saw them without Jello a few years back, they were dreadful.

Aye, I can imagine

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 05:06:05 pm »

True.  Geddy Lee (Rush) couldn't hit the high notes in the last couple of tours but the musicianship was 2nd to none - still at the top of their game in their 60's.  Sadly no more

Yes, he seemed to do that inward singing that Tenacious D did a song about  :) But as you say, top of their game and my all time favourite band now.

I saw them twice towards the end of their career. No support act, just hours of mind boggling musicianship. The first gig in particular I will remember for the rest of my days. They started off with Spirit of Radio and every song was a high point. Then they had a break and came back and did the whole of the Moving Pictures album.

Such a shame for them(Geddy and Alex) and their fans that they called it a day.
I'd go and see them again in a heartbeat if it was possible.

Online Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 01:10:35 pm »
In the early 70s I was a big Mott the Hoople fan. These were the early days of the band before they found relative fame through the influence of David Bowie. They were heady days for a young teenager. Tickets were relatively cheap and you could see bands play venues in provincial towns as part of a 30 date tour. Compare with the big city arena tours of today.

Anyhow. I've seen Ian Hunter, the lead vocalist with MTH, on numerous occasions now since the 70s. Solo tours, tours featuring Mick Ronson, as part of Mott the Hoople reunions (there's been a few) and fronting his latest group the Rant Band. There's never been a time when I've come away thinking I've been short changed or that the music wasn't as I remembered it. Hunter is 80 years old now and still rocking (though I understand currently suffering from tinnitus). He's a link with my younger self and it'll be a sad day for me when he's rocking no longer and I don't have one of his gigs to look forward to.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 11:39:44 pm »
In the early 70s I was a big Mott the Hoople fan. These were the early days of the band before they found relative fame through the influence of David Bowie. They were heady days for a young teenager. Tickets were relatively cheap and you could see bands play venues in provincial towns as part of a 30 date tour. Compare with the big city arena tours of today.

Anyhow. I've seen Ian Hunter, the lead vocalist with MTH, on numerous occasions now since the 70s. Solo tours, tours featuring Mick Ronson, as part of Mott the Hoople reunions (there's been a few) and fronting his latest group the Rant Band. There's never been a time when I've come away thinking I've been short changed or that the music wasn't as I remembered it. Hunter is 80 years old now and still rocking (though I understand currently suffering from tinnitus). He's a link with my younger self and it'll be a sad day for me when he's rocking no longer and I don't have one of his gigs to look forward to.

Did you ever see any of the pre-Dudes Stadium gigs? What a live band they were then. I still liked thehits etc, but they were never the same again.

Online Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 12:15:53 pm »
Did you ever see any of the pre-Dudes Stadium gigs? What a live band they were then. I still liked thehits etc, but they were never the same again.

I saw them mainly at Newcastle City Hall. But I agree, in that pre Dudes era there weren't many bands that could come near them for a live show. Manic and chaotic a lot of the time (Max Wall as support on one occasion?!) I heard them described once as the forerunners of punk. They certainly had an effect on a good few bands that followed. Mick Jones, Joe Elliott, Jim Kerr are amongst those who cited them as the major influence on their own careers.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 02:25:23 pm »
I saw them mainly at Newcastle City Hall. But I agree, in that pre Dudes era there weren't many bands that could come near them for a live show. Manic and chaotic a lot of the time (Max Wall as support on one occasion?!) I heard them described once as the forerunners of punk. They certainly had an effect on a good few bands that followed. Mick Jones, Joe Elliott, Jim Kerr are amongst those who cited them as the major influence on their own careers.

I was at the Max Wall show - the 'Rock'n'roll circus' tour. He was particularly badly received at the Stadium - getting cans chucked at him etc. Ian Hunter was pretty pissed off the audience when Mott came on. Speaking about forerunners of punk, if you listen to the Pistols' 'Did you no wrong' which was the B-side of GSTQ, it could easily be Mott the Hoople

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 02:46:25 pm »
Rolf Harris and Dannii Minogue

Either ‘94 or 95...

What a line up..

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2019, 11:06:04 am »
I saw Paul Simon last year in Manchester on his final tour. I'd never seen before, and I love his stuff so I was really pleased I went. Obviously he's in his 70s now so it wasn't the most energetic gig I've ever been to, but it was a real treat to hear those songs live for one last time.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2019, 11:48:45 pm »
I think it can depend on what you're expectations are going into the gig, in recent years through tours, Glastonbury etc I've seen all manner of heritage acts including Paul Simon, Nile Rodgers, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, Lionel Richie, Fleetwood Mac, AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen. I feel lucky to get to see these acts in some form,  most knowing what people have came to here as well. Just don't see modern acts having the same longevity and staying power as many of those I've listed above.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 1, 2019, 12:40:29 am »
I saw my favourite bands when they were at their peak, so I've been lucky there. I'm currently into Japanese soloists, but I became aware of them long after their peak, and in some cases long after their retirement. In any case, they didn't tend to tour outside Japan, so there's little chance of seeing them live. Youtube and other video channels have a wealth of old clips though, as they performed a hell of a lot back in the day, and Japanese TV seem to be even more fond than the BBC of repeating old clips of what they see as the golden age.

My only gripe: why do the Asian channels restrict access?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 1, 2019, 05:28:29 pm »
I think it can depend on what you're expectations are going into the gig,

Having no expectations is the ideal state in which to see a gig, obviously nearly impossible if you know the band/artist and their music. This is why some of the best gigs I've seen in have been those where I've had no expectations and often never heard the band/artist before. Examples include: Faithless, Justice, Janelle Monae, Estelle, Billie Elish, Chase and Status, Nile Rodgers and Chic. Obviously I knew the music of the later but had no expectations. Whereas, some of the biggest disappointments have been when I've had big expectations, the stand out example being Underworld.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 1, 2019, 05:44:54 pm »
Saw Soundgarden back in the day but I've never seen Pearl Jam live, so at some point I would like to go and see them. Saw Maiden, Metallica and Megadeth in their prime, so not sure I'd go see them again.

With my missus being into 80's stuff and going with her to the Rewind, I've got to see acts I wouldn't have gone to see, such as Marc Almond, Peter Hook, The Undertones and Roland Gift, all were excellent live.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 1, 2019, 07:56:21 pm »
If you've not seen them before, go, because they might be dead soon.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #23 on: November 1, 2019, 08:02:20 pm »
If you've not seen them before, go, because they might be dead soon.

To be fair, you aren't going to see them in their pomp, you are basically paying to see the legacy. There is a good chance that age has affected their abilities, which could alter your opinion of the artist. A benefit of YouTube and Spotify is checking out recent live performances or albums by the artist in question to gauge whether it is worth it.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #24 on: November 1, 2019, 08:04:36 pm »
Saw Soundgarden back in the day but I've never seen Pearl Jam live, so at some point I would like to go and see them. Saw Maiden, Metallica and Megadeth in their prime, so not sure I'd go see them again.

With my missus being into 80's stuff and going with her to the Rewind, I've got to see acts I wouldn't have gone to see, such as Marc Almond, Peter Hook, The Undertones and Roland Gift, all were excellent live.

Saw Peter Hook at a festival 5 years ago. Pretty good, even though I was never their biggest fan.

The Undertones are playing the same festival next year, so looking forward to that immensely.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #25 on: November 4, 2019, 03:04:40 pm »
Only got into Pink Floyd after they'd split. Never really had a strong yearning to see the post-Waters PF, but back in 2005'ish, a mate did all the organising for a few of us to see the Roger Waters 'Darkside' tour in the MEN. One mate declined, saying it wouldn't be the same and Waters couldn't sing for shit anyway. I'd built a load of joints so we could all get stoned beforehand, but the others were only having a few off and I ended up stoned to fuck. It was a fucking ace concert. Every time I was coming down, I'd have a cig (I'd quit smoking cigs the year before so each one knocked my a little skywards, and it was the last gig I went to where you could smoke in your seat - civilised!!). He did load of general Floyd and solo stuff, then said they were taking a break before coming back on to do Darkside. The place stunk of weed so I got out my last joint and sparked it just as they started Breathe. Had a full-on whitey for the next half hour. It absolutely rocked.

My advice is this: if you're going to go see music legends when they're old, get shitfaced before the concert and it'll be great.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #26 on: November 4, 2019, 04:39:28 pm »
Saw The Band in the early '80's [minus Robbie Robertson plus The Cate brothers]. Absolutely loved it as I'd been ill with chickenpox in '71 for their Wembley show - the disappointment of my life. However, truth be told The Band of their late '60's early 70's unique majesty I'm afraid they were not. Nowhere near, although Rick's It makes No Difference still resonates with me now.

Once caught Bruce and Macca on successive nights - probably in early 2000's. Both in their mid to late 50's and both still very much in amazing physical and vocal nick. Macca at Kings Dock was absolutely fantastic. Stunning. However - and no disrespect to the genius that is Paul McCartney - Bruce the night before in [spits on floor] Manchester was as a live performer on an entirely different level altogether as anyone who has seen him perform live will attest to - life affirming as someone above so aptly said .

« Last Edit: November 4, 2019, 04:53:20 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2019, 10:12:39 am »
Just about to book tickets to see Simple Minds supported by OMD and Australian band the Eurogliders for late 2020. Gigs are being held in various wineries which usually results in an amazing/messy day.

Seriously can't wait.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2019, 09:26:44 pm »
I had a friend see Billy Joel last summer to a packed outdoor stadium with lots of age ranges in the crowd. She said it was an absolutely brilliant show.

I saw OMD this summer and they rocked it. It was a fantastic fun set and a pleasure to watch.

I don’t know I would get so hung up if they have changed as artists. Just a fun night out.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2019, 03:42:21 pm »
I don't go to as much rock now as I used to, but the idea of sitting through something like U2, or most acts in their retirement age these days almost fills me with dread. I've seen a lot of my heroes at various stages of their lives, but I prefer to see musicians who are putting out albums now that are impressing me. It is almost at the point where you can either ignore all the internet media and go along for the surprise, or you can check out the other tour dates that have happened and decide by that if it is your thing. The exceptions seem to be the solo Springsteen tours and that late Leonard Cohen tour after he was ripped off.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2019, 03:52:30 pm »
Saw Pixies for the first time a couple of weeks ago. One of my favourite bands and I had this dilemma,having not listened to any of their new albums. I was glad I went because it feels like ticking something off of the bucketlist but I couldn't help think it must've been a bit of a pale imitation of the real thing back in the day; they stopped Debaser half way through because the new bassist played it wrong ;D

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2019, 11:06:12 pm »
It's an absolute yes.
I've seen McCartney several times, same with Level 42, I even went over to see them in Berlin about 10 years ago.
Hue & Cry on Erics a few years ago.
Then in September just gone the Lightening Seeds, the Christians and the wonderful China Crisis on the same gig at Birkenhead Park.
All tremendous.

Offline lucabrasi

• sleepswiththefishes
  • Main Stander
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2019, 01:15:45 am »
Saw Yes, Grateful Dead, Sabbath, Allman Bros,Stones,Who,Clash,AC/DC,Judas Priest,Iron Maiden and some more all in 70s and real early 80s.
The only band that sounded the same 30 yrs later was Black Sabbath.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2019, 08:36:25 pm »
Saw Yes, Grateful Dead, Sabbath, Allman Bros,Stones,Who,Clash,AC/DC,Judas Priest,Iron Maiden and some more all in 70s and real early 80s.
The only band that sounded the same 30 yrs later was Black Sabbath.

Aye, that boy Dio could hold a note.  :)

Saw Whitesnake last year and it was pretty embarrassing really. Coverdale trying to still be the sex symbol was pretty pitiful, and his vocal range was way off, with the band joining in and filling in any higher/longer notes.

Went to see Blackmore a couple of years ago but got absolutely bladdered which I was pissed off with as he's my favourite guitarist, and I don't think I appreciated it as much as I should have.

Rush were pretty good. geddy maybe can't hit all the notes any more but they know how to perform and are probably the slickest most professional outfit I've seen.

Coverdale's back again this year but I'm giving it a miss. Blackmore and Rush I'd quite happily go and see again.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline lucabrasi

• sleepswiththefishes
  • Main Stander
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2019, 06:49:11 am »
Aye, that boy Dio could hold a note.  :)

Saw Whitesnake last year and it was pretty embarrassing really. Coverdale trying to still be the sex symbol was pretty pitiful, and his vocal range was way off, with the band joining in and filling in any higher/longer notes.

Went to see Blackmore a couple of years ago but got absolutely bladdered which I was pissed off with as he's my favourite guitarist, and I don't think I appreciated it as much as I should have.

Rush were pretty good. geddy maybe can't hit all the notes any more but they know how to perform and are probably the slickest most professional outfit I've seen.

Coverdale's back again this year but I'm giving it a miss. Blackmore and Rush I'd quite happily go and see again.
Yes Dio was with Sabbath when the Black and Blue tour was out. Seen that at the Garden. Amazing voice. Saw Blackmore with Purple and he is without a doubt one of the most underrated guitarists of all time. Rainbow Rising is still one of the best debut albums from any band. Dio and Blackmore at the top of their game.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2019, 05:10:46 pm »
I'd love Hall and Oates to come over here, you should be going to see them next year if you're in America.

Online moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2019, 12:03:17 am »
I'd love Hall and Oates to come over here, you should be going to see them next year if you're in America.
[/quo!te]

As one of the most massive duos of all time, it was quite a surprise to see them playing at the Ventura County Fair a couple  of years ago. Great songs but surely they should have some dignity rather than playing whilst the pig show was being judged and the masses were eating corn dogs on sticks .
Generally find that favourite bands from 20/30 years ago are a bit of a disappointment nowadays, but the nostalgia buzz carries the moment until they start on the bsides and lp tracks.

Offline nozza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2019, 02:51:41 am »

Saw twice in last few years here in the states. They were on tour with Tears for Fears and it was a killer concert. like a few have said though, Bruce  and the e street band is a fantastic show.