The Liverpool FC Forum > Anfield Stadium

The Mop Theory

(1/2) > >>

Millsee:
"Yeah, Del Boy, I've kept this same mop for 20 years. It's only had 17 new heads and 5 new handles".

1992 - Centenary Stand Constructed
1994 - Spion Kop Replaced
1998 - Anny Road Redeveloped

"Well, how can it be the same mop then, Trigger?"

Anfield is not the Anfield of the 70s or the 80s.

Don't get me wrong. I have been a Liverpool supporter for 30 years, have laughed and cried with the ups and downs of the club, and have paid homage to the greats that have played on the 700m2 piece of land we call Anfield.

But those self same greats have also played elsewhere. Rome, Barcelona and Madrid have all been great stages for the likes of Keegan, Dalglish, Rush and Owen. Why then are we horrified about a brand new, purpose built stadium 300 metres away from our current home.

When the Millennium Stadium opended in Cardiff, I was overawed by its size, its facilities, and most of all (as a civil engineer) by the innovation that meant an acoustic engineer had as much say in the design as the architects. It is a fantasic stage with a brilliant atmosphere. Imagine that as home, and imagine our opponents fear walking out into it.

I have as many memories at Anfield as anyone else and will cry with the rest when the stands are finally demolished. But we will still have the same 700m2 as somewhere quiet. Somewhere where we can relive those memories.

Where we have the new stadium is irrelevant. Be it on the current patch of land, or on Stanley Park. Anfield is not the same mop of the 70s or 80s.

The new stadium will still be Anfield. It will still be home.

Pheeny:
Well said!

Paul:
Excellent post. It is a painful thought to be leaving our current home, but we have a duty as the fans of Liverpool FC to make our new home just as daunting to visit as the Anfield of the 70s was.

We will still be the fans of Liverpool FC, the fans that roared our team to victory on the old Spion Kop. This is the most important thing to transfer to our new home. If we do, the memories of days past will be re-lived.  

Ben S:
I have no objections about moving for something decent(well I do but I'd get over em) but this proposed new stadium looks like a sack of shit and as it only has an extra 10k seats is it really worth it?

Neil:
Nice one Millsee lad. Its good to read an intelligent comment for a change.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version