Author Topic: Ian Rush  (Read 5445 times)

Offline binge

• Kopite
Ian Rush
« on: June 10, 2015, 11:37:41 pm »
All ya need is Rush......Could do with someone like rushy now, well any time really.

Here's a decent documentary I've just watched, maybe someone can embed it.

http://youtu.be/EMS5Kb_AGUA

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Ian Rush
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 06:24:02 pm »
First book I ever remember reading was his autobio. Mybe not auto, can't remember. Every Cloud has a silver lining or something. All I can remember from it was that his unusually long neck, which aided him in his career, was (somehow) a side-effect of a childhood bout of meningitis.

It's become my stock Ian Rush fact for dinner parties etc. And now I'm paying that forward to you all.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 05:14:26 pm »
A neighbour of mine has just knocked on my door and given me a signed black & white photo in a frame of Rush scoring in the '86 Cup Final.

He won it in a raffle, he's a baggie so has no need for it. Nice baggie.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 08:52:12 am »
Happy Birthday Rushy!

His 60th. Where did the time go…
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 08:54:49 am by rushyman »
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 06:27:42 pm »
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 07:27:56 pm »
Happy Birthday Rushy! Hope he’s having a nice glass of milk to celebrate.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 10:44:32 pm »
Happy Birthday Rushy! Hope he’s having a nice glass of milk to celebrate.

Regularly see him in Et Alia in Chester so probably eating pasta as we speak.

Just don't ask him to speak Italian.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 03:44:55 am »
Regularly see him in Et Alia in Chester so probably eating pasta as we speak.

Just don't ask him to speak Italian.

Ha. I keep seeing him around Chester. I won’t mention his local, but I have to tell myself not to disturb his evening whenever I’m also there.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 09:25:34 am »
Ha. I keep seeing him around Chester. I won’t mention his local, but I have to tell myself not to disturb his evening whenever I’m also there.

He was at Chester station Tuesday afternoon.

Must stop stalking him!

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 06:57:46 pm »
I love this man. He was my 10/11 years old to adulthood, every week, every season.

Where to start?

The last minute winner at Spurs in 86 and what that led to. The goals v Everton, but mostly the two goals in the FA Cup Final in 1986, the amount of times the update popped up from Teletext and my mam sighed but let me "just quickly" check and it saying RUSH, the first goal v United at Anfield, the winner in the second leg - that downward header v Athletic Bilbao (radio I think), the tikky-takky with John Barnes before Stan Collymore walloped home that winner in the first 4-3 v Newcastle..... so many....   Dropping to his knees after his penalty v Roma - and all the goals he got that year!....the hattrick at Villa....

The first goal I saw him score with my own eyes was in a 2-1 win v Arsenal at the start of 86/87 (never seen it back but a compilation or two suggested perhaps it was in there) and the last goal v Leicester in 1995 (2-0, Robbie got the other). A few in between but games were few and far for me as I lived in Cumbria and wasn't brought up with easy spending money.

I remember as a 12 year old being pissed off that on a day when both Rushy and Tony woodcock had scored 5 each (for Liverpool v Luton and Arsenal at Villa (6-0 and 2-6) the next week's Shoot! magazine rated Woodcock's performance as 10/10 but Rush as only 9/10.

In the letters page a week later, Shoot's response (justifying their 9 rating for Rush): (was something like) "The way Liverpool are dominating right now, Ian Rush could turn up in his wellies and still bag a hattrick."

For me, 1981 to 1990, (10 and a half to 19 and a half years old) was mostly just about Ian Rush.
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline StL-Dono

• Kopite
  • thank you Ian Rush
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 11:46:59 pm »
<<< He's the reason I'm a Liverpool fan today.  (Well, John, Paul, George, Ringo had an impact as well.)

First introduction to English football as American college student studying in England in spring 1986.  I had no idea LFC was the top team and at one of its peaks of success during that time period.  I just knew that this team from Liverpool had this guy up front who always knew where the ball was going before anyone else did and he usually capitalized on that by then putting it in the back of the net.  He didn't seem to be the most athletic or fastest or have the best touch...  he was just the best player I saw.  (For you Americans of my age, he played soccer like Larry Bird played basketball.)

How lucky of me to have chosen the greatest club of all time...  Thanks Sir Ian.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 11:48:43 pm by StL-Dono »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 12:44:29 am »
I love this man. He was my 10/11 years old to adulthood, every week, every season.

Where to start?

The last minute winner at Spurs in 86 and what that led to. The goals v Everton, but mostly the two goals in the FA Cup Final in 1986, the amount of times the update popped up from Teletext and my mam sighed but let me "just quickly" check and it saying RUSH, the first goal v United at Anfield, the winner in the second leg - that downward header v Athletic Bilbao (radio I think), the tikky-takky with John Barnes before Stan Collymore walloped home that winner in the first 4-3 v Newcastle..... so many....   Dropping to his knees after his penalty v Roma - and all the goals he got that year!....the hattrick at Villa....

The first goal I saw him score with my own eyes was in a 2-1 win v Arsenal at the start of 86/87 (never seen it back but a compilation or two suggested perhaps it was in there) and the last goal v Leicester in 1995 (2-0, Robbie got the other). A few in between but games were few and far for me as I lived in Cumbria and wasn't brought up with easy spending money.

I remember as a 12 year old being pissed off that on a day when both Rushy and Tony woodcock had scored 5 each (for Liverpool v Luton and Arsenal at Villa (6-0 and 2-6) the next week's Shoot! magazine rated Woodcock's performance as 10/10 but Rush as only 9/10.

In the letters page a week later, Shoot's response (justifying their 9 rating for Rush): (was something like) "The way Liverpool are dominating right now, Ian Rush could turn up in his wellies and still bag a hattrick."

For me, 1981 to 1990, (10 and a half to 19 and a half years old) was mostly just about Ian Rush.

Cried when he left & cried when he came back  ;D

Love the man.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 01:27:24 am »
Cried when he left & cried when he came back  ;D

Love the man.

In between, it was like he was living in a foreign country...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 10:46:28 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60690089

Liverpool goalscoring legend Ian Rush is heading up a consortium which is seeking to buy a majority stake in Irish Premiership club Crusaders.

Members of the north Belfast club were briefed on the proposal at an Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) on Thursday night.

If accepted, it is believed the overall investment in the Shore Road-based club could reach £2.5m.

The move would see Crusaders link up with 15 other Ian Rush Academies.

The Crues also hope the investment would help with potential stadium redevelopment and provide links with agents in Asia, France and West Africa to strengthen their first team.

The club envisages that acceptance of the proposal would help fully establish their full-time professional set-up and provide an increased emphasis on and platform for youth.

The proposals include the formation of a player academy with a strong educational element, a player development strategy and enhanced income streams from football-related and non-football related sources, including selling players on from their academy.

The IRAMA company, of which former Wales international Rush is a significant shareholder and involves several other businessmen, is understood to be looking to buy a 70% share in Crusaders, which is valued in the region of £750,000.

This sum would then be re-invested by the members, with the consortium understood to be willing to put an additional £1.75m into the club, making the project worth a potential £2.5m in total.

Crusaders members are being asked to consider the bid in the context of other clubs in the league adopting full-time models in recent times, the fallout from the Covid-19 pandemic and a desire to challenge for trophies rather than accept a mid-table league position.

No vote was taken at Thursday's meeting at which a detailed presentation was made but if accepted a number of the stated ambitions are expected to be in place for the start of next season.

Rush scored a club record 346 goals in 660 games during two spells for Liverpool. He also played for Chester City, Juventus and Leeds United.

He won 73 caps for Wales, netting 28 goals.

Please don't do it  :'(
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2022, 04:44:32 pm »

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2022, 09:42:51 pm »
Just curious; why are you against it?

I'm a Cliftonville fan. Crusaders are our local rivals.

That IRAMA are seemingly involved in some dodgy practices too.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2022, 08:46:02 pm »

Ahh thanks for that.

And there I was thinking you were Muslim  ;D

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2022, 11:00:57 pm »
Looks like it's going ahead  :butt

A shitbag business buying a shitbag club   :butt

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2022, 05:32:51 pm »

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2022, 05:48:32 pm »

I read an article about em,at least two non leagues no longer exist after these took over. found it.
https://twohundredpercent.net/ian-rush-whyteleafe-disturbing-new-normal/

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #20 on: July 3, 2022, 12:32:56 am »
Was just a bit drunkenly looking at some stats….and an extraordinary one is that in the calendar years of 1982 + 1986, in those two years Sir Ian Rush banged in a grand total of 82 goals for LFC, in 122 games.

The man was a goal machine in a red shirt.

Fucking love Ian Rush.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #21 on: July 3, 2022, 12:44:59 am »
P.S. add in 1983, 1984 and 1985 and he banged in another 98 goals 😂😂😂 Insane. 180 goals ‘82-‘86. Never be beaten that.

(Sir Roger came closest)
« Last Edit: July 3, 2022, 12:48:36 am by Red_Mist »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 3, 2022, 04:41:04 pm »
P.S. add in 1983, 1984 and 1985 and he banged in another 98 goals 😂😂😂 Insane. 180 goals ‘82-‘86. Never be beaten that.

(Sir Roger came closest)

He was brilliant. I was at his last game v Watford, the Hansen testimonial when we sang "Rushie Rushie do you wanna come home?" but never expected him to come back that soon, if ever.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: July 6, 2022, 05:53:19 am »
My favourite player.     He was the original presser.    Would chase every defender

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 7, 2022, 08:11:57 pm »
I always hated how they compared him with Lineker who was kind of his peer during part of the 80s.
I always felt Lineker was prolific but not as versatile or gifted as Rushie.
Just compare highlight reels - they're very different players imo.

Offline norecat

• Kopite
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2022, 04:59:37 pm »
From April 1980 to October 1981 we bought Grobbelaar, Nicol, Lawrenson, Johnston, and Rush for 2.5 million combined. An astonishing run of transfer business by Mr Paisley. Even amidst the excitement of winning a European cup he was planning ahead. On some levels it was ruthless as Clemence, Case, Heighway and Irwin were moved on. R Kennedy, McDermott and Johnson would follow them out the door the next year. The only blot on the copybook incoming wise was Richard Money.  The one big blot on the outgoings was Kevin Sheedy in 82 to Everton. You can't win em all.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2022, 08:08:45 pm »

A few videos on Rushy in the 'Ian Llanfair­pwllgwyn­gyllgo­gery­chwyrn­drobwll­llanty­silio­gogo­goch Rush' thread, in the 'The History Board - 1892 to 1994' forum:-

www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=317221.msg18192220#msg18192220
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576