The Liverpool FC Forum > The History Board - 1892 to 1994

What's the story behind...?

<< < (2/21) > >>

Motty:
Always thought it was 'hot Arabian Sun' , good to know

timmyonions:

--- Quote from: Shady77 on September 20, 2012, 05:04:55 pm ---Always thought it was 'hot Arabian Sun' , good to know

--- End quote ---

Now you know....

Slow it down eh ?

:D

driftinwest:
5th, from the mid 60's to the early 70's I was a survivor of the boys pen ( as you know you had to peel an orange in yer pocket or get mugged in there) I remember many songs and chants, but the first time I can remember it really getting belted out was the first reply of the 4 game semi against Arsenal in 1980 at Villa Park, I knew the song before then but that night we nailed it and I remember being next to the dividing fence in the Holt end and Arsenal fans just went quite as PST was belted out they'd never heard a football song like it and where gobsmacked. As I said I know it was around and sung in the pubs before then, and thats where I learned it before matches, but can't remember hearing it full on inside the grounds we visited or Anfield till after that semi-final. I always wondered who put the first words to it one hell of a song to come out the kop, unique and brilliant for a football song.

Motty:

--- Quote from: timmyonions on September 20, 2012, 05:19:59 pm ---Now you know....

Slow it down eh ?

:D

--- End quote ---
que

Devon Red:

--- Quote from: Shady77 on September 20, 2012, 05:27:40 pm ---que

--- End quote ---

I think he means that it gets sung too quickly these days. I guess it's the difference between belting it out as a 'chant' and singing it as a 'song'. A bit like the difference between Fields of Anfield Road and Fields of Athenry. Same tune of course, but the Irish fans sing it slower, which makes it sound a bit more like a hymn, a bit more atmospheric. I like both versions, it's just interesting that they sound different.

Anyway, now that I've shamelessly bumped my own thread, are there really no posters on here who can tell me who wrote Poor Scouser Tommy? Does anyone even know if there really was a Scouser called Tommy that this song is based on?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version