21 (6.5%)
Labour
70 (21.8%)
GP
11 (3.4%)
Ind/Others
77 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 321

Author Topic: The Irish Politics Thread.  (Read 459749 times)

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Re: The Irish Politics Thread.
« Reply #4720 on: February 13, 2018, 01:48:53 pm »
I still believe those are also improving as the national debt has dropped from an all time high 5 years ago but our debt per capita is still in the top 3 of the world after Japan and USA. I fear what might happen if the interest rates start to increase.
That debt will always be a noose around our necks.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4721 on: February 14, 2018, 10:56:56 am »
Northern Ireland and its current government or lack of right now. What is going on there for the past 12 months? Due to some scandal in the eco-bolier scheme (I have a feeling if any scheme was investigated there be some scandal / financial issues), would it be true to say they have had no major policy or budget passed for 12 months? Just looks like an awful mess, down South is not much better and struggle to see how politicians can get paid for a year doing basically nothing or maybe they do earn their money. Love to know what they do every day since its been dissolved.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #4722 on: February 14, 2018, 12:24:49 pm »
@DMcCaffreySKY
NEW: Booming Ireland - EU raises Ireland's GDP growth rate projection to 7.3% for 2017 - YES 7.3% from 4.8%.
And raises 2018 outlook to 4.4% from 3.9%.

GDP is a worthless measure for Ireland, GNP is far more accurate. Repatriation of profits by foreign companies artificially inflates Irish GDP figures.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #4723 on: February 14, 2018, 04:10:54 pm »
Foster has just said there is no prospect of the return to devolved Stormont.

May working her magic again.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #4724 on: February 14, 2018, 11:20:38 pm »
Foster has just said there is no prospect of the return to devolved Stormont.

May working her magic again.

Well foster is insisting that enforced by years of bigotry and enshrined in the state constitution she is somehow feeling unsettled by the near recognition of the Irish language as a part of Ireland. Either that or she and her mates want to cure gays or cure women that need abortions or that the world isn't flat nor 6000 years old... fuckin dinosaurs (never existed according to the DUP).

May is also a dip shit.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4725 on: February 15, 2018, 12:22:26 am »
It's just the DUP holding the place back out of fear that their "Britishness" is somehow under threat because of the want of a language (Ireland's own, who'd have thunk it?) to be officially recognised. Nothing to see here. Move along. It's just their usual prehistoric modus operandi. Can't move forward with their mentality.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4726 on: February 17, 2018, 11:58:28 am »
Y.N.W.A.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4727 on: February 19, 2018, 10:17:02 am »
I think I saw the original copy to that launch

Ireland 2000, 2010,2020, 2040
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4728 on: February 20, 2018, 10:17:16 am »
Northern Ireland - Are all the parties involved finished throwing their toys out of the cot yet and ready to sort out whats going on there? If there is no repercussion for the last 12 months debacle, ie do your job or lose it then how will they get their act together.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4729 on: February 21, 2018, 10:37:59 pm »
Northern Ireland - Are all the parties involved finished throwing their toys out of the cot yet and ready to sort out whats going on there? If there is no repercussion for the last 12 months debacle, ie do your job or lose it then how will they get their act together.
It was sorted. It all just came down to Arlene Foster talking bollocks and denying there was an agreement about the Irish language. It's not like she's never told porky pies before over anything. She shouldn't be in a job. In fact, anywhere else on the planet, she'd be in the Hague for fraud and embezzlement.

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4730 on: February 22, 2018, 09:13:46 am »
It was sorted. It all just came down to Arlene Foster talking bollocks and denying there was an agreement about the Irish language. It's not like she's never told porky pies before over anything. She shouldn't be in a job. In fact, anywhere else on the planet, she'd be in the Hague for fraud and embezzlement.
Not a fan of Arlene and her party, but neither would I be accepting that "a deal was agreed" just because the Shinners say so, and statements like that show where the problem lies here. Too often people get drawn into the crap the politicians spout and get themselves exercised about, and we shouldn't. Both of these 2 parties are behaving ridiculously, there should be no "red lines" when entering negotiations to get government back up and running, there are too many, you know, actual important issues to deal with like budgets for health, education, infrastructure so for the Shinners to draw a red line that they MUST have a stand alone ILA, and the Dupers to have a red line that there can be NO stand alone ILA is petty, avoidable, idiotic and destined to polarise.

Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4731 on: February 22, 2018, 10:32:09 am »
I should know a lot more considering its happening just 200 miles north of me but to allow it to get to a point the UK government had to impose a budget on NI, make some decisions on schools and health matters because those in "power" could not thrash out some sort of compromise is beyond a joke. I guess its important for some to put the Irish language on road signs, create a Gaelteacht area in N Ireland etc but if its at a significant cost then you do have to worry. I look at local decisions like putting in those public toilets no one uses but can cost 100k plus a year to maintain a perfect example of the idiotic policies we cannot afford. Bit of a tangent moan but what did it cost the country to change the speed signs from miles to km? I would dread to have a guess considering the same guys were happy to approve 100k a year bathrooms. Only in recent years has the Irish government pushed the road signs to reflect both Irish and English so I would be very surprised to see N Ireland follow so quickly. I doubt if 95% of the population really care what area is Gaelteacht or if the road signs are in Irish as like down South we are more concerned about the hospitals, schools and day to day issues that need the government's attention. Ok sorry for droning on. 

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #4732 on: February 22, 2018, 12:33:48 pm »
It wasn't sorted. The leaked document showed that the ILA had not been agreed. It's not just about road signs either. There are already dual language signs in NI in many local areas. An ILA would come at a huge cost considering the miniscule number of people in NI who speak it fluently. It's just nationalistic sabre rattling for Sinn Fein, perfectly illustrated by their entire Stormont team looking baffled when they were asked a question in Irish last week. Interesting as well that they'd been courting the gay marriage lobby to win support and then threw them under the bus with no mention in the draft agreement. It shows that their priorities lie with regressive, right wing nationalistic nonsense. None of this is a defence of the DUP by the way, but a defence of common sense. The people of NI cannot be held to ransom over an issue that the vast majority of the population don't care about. We need a parliament for health, education and general cooperative good will which are far more important.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4733 on: February 22, 2018, 01:22:10 pm »
The ILA is the political football being used at the front of this argument between Sinn Fein and the DUP but at the end of the day this is all about equality. Sinn Fein believe there is still an issue with unionist superiority and see the ILA as a step to achieving parity of esteem. Whereas the DUP see this as a threat to the union in an attempt to achieve a united Ireland.

It seems most likely the resolution to all this is there will be some form of ILA implemented but it will be alongside an 'Ulster-Scots Act'. The whole Ulster-Scots language thing is a load of nonsense and is something that was dreamt up basically because unionists couldn't see nationalists getting funding for the Irish language without getting a slice of the pie. If you want to talk about wasting public money, have a look at Ulster-Scots funding. Spending money on a 'language' which is basically a phonetic written form of how people from Ballymoney speak.

The issue of same-sex marriage in NI is something which should be top of the agenda. Its ridiculous that we are behind the rest of the UK and the Republic and even the right wing Tories think we're backward on this.

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4734 on: February 22, 2018, 01:39:15 pm »
The ILA is the political football being used at the front of this argument between Sinn Fein and the DUP but at the end of the day this is all about equality. Sinn Fein believe there is still an issue with unionist superiority and see the ILA as a step to achieving parity of esteem. Whereas the DUP see this as a threat to the union in an attempt to achieve a united Ireland.

It seems most likely the resolution to all this is there will be some form of ILA implemented but it will be alongside an 'Ulster-Scots Act'. The whole Ulster-Scots language thing is a load of nonsense and is something that was dreamt up basically because unionists couldn't see nationalists getting funding for the Irish language without getting a slice of the pie. If you want to talk about wasting public money, have a look at Ulster-Scots funding. Spending money on a 'language' which is basically a phonetic written form of how people from Ballymoney speak.

The issue of same-sex marriage in NI is something which should be top of the agenda. Its ridiculous that we are behind the rest of the UK and the Republic and even the right wing Tories think we're backward on this.
ILA is a political football, but it is not about equality, not for one second and don't let Sinn Fein kid you it is. I'm all for having provision for promotion of Gaelic, but don't see the need personally for any language Acts, Commissioners, road signage and other investments which divert funding. Get rid of the ban on the use of Irish in the courts, have interpreters where necessary, but for dear sake, don't hold the place to ransom just because you want to dress up a political demand as an equality issue.

Ulster Scots is bad English, not a language, nor a dialogue and shouldn't have a penny wasted on it. But it will be pushed, under this "equality" thing, respect for both cultures etc.

Same sex marriage should not be top of any agenda, it should be introduced and it is ridiculous that it hasn't been but let's face it, real and meaningful reform of the crumbling health service should be top of the agenda all day long.

It's the "unionists can't see nationalists getting" attitude that is being fanned and kept alive here by the 2 parties, the Ussuns v themmuns, dressed up in nice clothing and pushed along under red line issues because that's what keeps them in votes. Keep the society distrustful of "the other side". Get proper services, for everyone, leave all the small minded entrenchments and work together, not against each other.
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4735 on: February 23, 2018, 02:24:44 am »

Exactly.

Those of you saying that it is Sinn Fein holding the place to ransom: how exactly? They weren't the ones who threw the toys out of the pram and didn't want to even disagree to the point of a renegotiation, but instead just walked away. If it's a political football, then the DUP have just done the equivalent of throwing a strop in a kick around,  picked the ball up and walked away with it. It's their usual schtick. Anything even remotely resembling anything to endorse, or promote, 'Irishism' or the Irish culture, is disregarded and treated as a threat to their 'Britishness'.

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #4736 on: February 23, 2018, 08:09:41 am »
It wasn't sorted. The leaked document showed that the ILA had not been agreed. It's not just about road signs either. There are already dual language signs in NI in many local areas. An ILA would come at a huge cost considering the miniscule number of people in NI who speak it fluently. It's just nationalistic sabre rattling for Sinn Fein, perfectly illustrated by their entire Stormont team looking baffled when they were asked a question in Irish last week. Interesting as well that they'd been courting the gay marriage lobby to win support and then threw them under the bus with no mention in the draft agreement. It shows that their priorities lie with regressive, right wing nationalistic nonsense. None of this is a defence of the DUP by the way, but a defence of common sense. The people of NI cannot be held to ransom over an issue that the vast majority of the population don't care about. We need a parliament for health, education and general cooperative good will which are far more important.

Well I'm glad you clarified that - because it sure as hell sounded like one.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4737 on: February 23, 2018, 08:17:24 am »
Well I'm glad you clarified that - because it sure as hell sounded like one.
Both parties are full of wankers. It's about time they grew up.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4738 on: February 23, 2018, 08:21:25 am »
Exactly.

Those of you saying that it is Sinn Fein holding the place to ransom: how exactly? They weren't the ones who threw the toys out of the pram and didn't want to even disagree to the point of a renegotiation, but instead just walked away. If it's a political football, then the DUP have just done the equivalent of throwing a strop in a kick around,  picked the ball up and walked away with it. It's their usual schtick. Anything even remotely resembling anything to endorse, or promote, 'Irishism' or the Irish culture, is disregarded and treated as a threat to their 'Britishness'.
Sinn Fein collapsed the assembly over an issue that they've now quietly dropped. Both parties are famous for spitting the dummy but I think the Shinners have been making miscalculation after miscalculationn over the past year. They thought they would get their way when they walked out because of NI's long history of doing anything to restore devolution. It didn't happen and now they're left out in the cold looking very weak.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #4739 on: February 23, 2018, 08:36:39 am »
Spending money on a 'language' which is basically a phonetic written form of how people from Ballymoney speak.

Fact check: 100% True    :D
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4740 on: February 23, 2018, 08:42:44 am »
Fact check: 100% True    :D

Oi you, what's wrong with Ballymoney?

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #4741 on: February 23, 2018, 09:00:57 am »
Oi you, what's wrong with Ballymoney?

I used to go out with a girl from Coleraine years ago and her considered opinion was that people from Ballymoney were a bit mental and talked funny.  Granted this may have been a case of the pot saying hello to the kettle...
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4742 on: February 23, 2018, 01:22:23 pm »
I used to go out with a girl from Coleraine years ago and her considered opinion was that people from Ballymoney were a bit mental and talked funny.  Granted this may have been a case of the pot saying hello to the kettle...

Cowtown is the local slang term for Ballymoney, which is where I grew up. It always amused me how Coleraine folk looked down on us, considering they were only 6 miles away..

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4743 on: February 23, 2018, 01:29:10 pm »
Cowtown is the local slang term for Ballymoney, which is where I grew up. It always amused me how Coleraine folk looked down on us, considering they were only 6 miles away..
Amazing how accents vary town by town in NI. My home is about ten minutes away from Tyrone in South Londonderry and the accent is very different.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #4744 on: February 23, 2018, 04:25:58 pm »
Amazing how accents vary town by town in NI. My home is about ten minutes away from Tyrone in South Londonderry and the accent is very different.
That's a very long place name, surely there's a shorter way of saying it

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4745 on: February 23, 2018, 04:52:00 pm »

Haven't seen it spelled like that in a while  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4746 on: February 23, 2018, 05:08:53 pm »
Sinn Fein collapsed the assembly over an issue that they've now quietly dropped. Both parties are famous for spitting the dummy but I think the Shinners have been making miscalculation after miscalculationn over the past year. They thought they would get their way when they walked out because of NI's long history of doing anything to restore devolution. It didn't happen and now they're left out in the cold looking very weak.
Yes, which is something of a sham to be honest. McGuinness stepped down over the RHI fiasco and collapsed the whole thing initially, and rightly so. Did they just forget about that or something? Convenient for them now that he's dead.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #4747 on: February 23, 2018, 05:52:16 pm »
I say double down and slap another London on the front of it. These are trying times for the union after all

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4748 on: February 23, 2018, 07:35:33 pm »

;D  Not me mate. I'm a Derry man.

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4749 on: February 23, 2018, 09:42:03 pm »
Winter Olympics coming here next week,  apparently, in fucking February, poor daffodils are fucked  :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 09:43:46 pm by tinner777 »

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4750 on: February 24, 2018, 05:31:08 pm »

I call the city Derry and the county Londonderry just to make sure I offend everybody equally.  ;D

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4751 on: February 24, 2018, 06:19:29 pm »
Winter Olympics coming here next week,  apparently, in fucking February, poor daffodils are fucked  :D

Irish Rail to collapse as usual.
They have trouble operating if it rains, snow may be too much to handle.

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #4752 on: March 1, 2018, 12:33:54 am »
I call the city Derry and the county Londonderry just to make sure I offend everybody equally.  ;D

:) I like that, fits in well with the twatter generation whom have the right to be offended by anything and everything.

On your other topics, I agree the scandal being dropped is not good, should have held more cross community sympathy which is not necessarily votes but even so a strong position. However not being in a government is a clear signal that even with Westminster (tories) and the DUP together still can't force anything so from the more traditional support they are very strong. Having said that everyone would be more effective if they just got on with their jobs... Also its clear not everything is being made public.

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #4753 on: March 1, 2018, 01:09:09 am »
Relevant to the brexit thread but I'll put in here:

NI voted 56% to 44% for remain; the DUP got 28% of the votes in the last assembly election where all other parties were pro-remain.  How can Mrs May or the antediluvian DUP pretend that they represent the will of the people of Northern Ireland?

https://www.ft.com/content/9cf07fbc-1c8f-11e8-aaca-4574d7dabfb6

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #4754 on: March 5, 2018, 02:32:35 pm »
some TD ive never heard of called Brid Smith ranting about the price of Leo Varadkars coat

seriously

getting torn apart on her facebook over it

rightly so
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4755 on: March 5, 2018, 04:53:29 pm »
Relevant to the brexit thread but I'll put in here:

https://www.ft.com/content/9cf07fbc-1c8f-11e8-aaca-4574d7dabfb6
Proof, if needed, that partition does not work. It makes a mockery of the so called democracy we're all supposed to be in. It's not a democracy when your voice is ignored.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4756 on: March 9, 2018, 02:00:22 pm »
I see the legal costs of the inquiry into the controversial 45 million  sale of Siteserv to Denis O Brien is currently sitting at 25m and some experts expect the costs to double at least once everything is done and dusted. The 30 plus lawyers must be presenting their findings in gold gilded files. Of course the TDs are claiming there is nothing to see here so please move along as we shyte public money away.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4757 on: March 15, 2018, 10:01:09 am »
The head of the civil service in Northern Ireland openly admits at the RHI inquiry that civil servants deliberately didn't record minutes at meetings so they couldn't become public under Freedom of Information requests. It's beyond belief how these people are allowed to keep their jobs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43408934

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #4758 on: March 16, 2018, 02:40:23 am »
The head of the civil service in Northern Ireland openly admits at the RHI inquiry that civil servants deliberately didn't record minutes at meetings so they couldn't become public under Freedom of Information requests. It's beyond belief how these people are allowed to keep their jobs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43408934
What? like this https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/arlene-foster-could-face-legal-action-over-claims-she-blocked-executive-discussion-on-inquest-funding-36174758.html

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4759 on: March 21, 2018, 09:31:44 pm »
Metro Hotel a blaze in Ballymun as I type, hope everyone is ok.
Y.N.W.A.