Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 370476 times)

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
Re: Television buying
« Reply #4720 on: November 12, 2015, 01:48:04 pm »
I've had my Panasonic TH-37PX80B for about 7 years and am loathe to get rid of it - the picture quality is excellent and there is no motion blur etc.  It's basically like a good old CRT in that respect.

However, because it's only 720p I've noticed that xbox one games are starting to look quite poor on it - small writing is very pixelated and difficult to read (in Black Ops 3 for example, which is 900p I believe).  It's also quite chunky compared to the current tvs so takes up quite a lot of room.

I've seen friend's newer lcd/led tvs and although the picture is sharp when there's no movement, as soon there is movement, the picture blurs and looks unnatural.  Does anyone else notice this with the new ones?  Are there any recommended tvs that have a better picture than my trusted old Panasonic?

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #4721 on: November 12, 2015, 01:51:10 pm »
Bought my daughter a Samsung smart tv for Christmas before last and yesterday it just 'popped' and now doesnt even turn on.

In short Samsung are shite.
This borderline makes you a Chelsea supporter!! ::)
Thinking about getting a 4K tv now. Should I go for an LED one or is it worth waiting until OLED becomes a bit cheaper?
Surely you don't need to worry about the cost of things?

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4722 on: November 22, 2015, 07:37:28 pm »
Ok folks, looking for a new TV, primarily for gaming, budget about 500, I have a 42" Bush (I know but it was just for gaming) I bought about 6 years back and although it is full 1080p and I've really never had an issue with it, I'm finding a lot of third person games on my PS4 are giving me serious jaggies around my character.

Mostly Uncharted collection and Sleeping Dogs Remastered, what kind of tv would I need to eliminate this?

All input really appreciated.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #4723 on: November 23, 2015, 12:43:27 pm »
Is your sharpness set too high maybe? That could cause lots of jaggies.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4724 on: December 1, 2015, 10:11:48 am »
Lads

Is there anyway of using a set of wireless headphones with new TV's?

My new telly is being fitted in the bedroom at the weekend and i wouldn't mind watching telly late into the night without my missus moaning. (she has to be up for work whereas i work from home :))

cheers :wave

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #4725 on: December 1, 2015, 02:04:26 pm »
Lads

Is there anyway of using a set of wireless headphones with new TV's?

My new telly is being fitted in the bedroom at the weekend and i wouldn't mind watching telly late into the night without my missus moaning. (she has to be up for work whereas i work from home :))

cheers :wave

you can get a bluetooth transmitter from ebay etc for about £8 i think. Plugs into socket on back of TV then wireless headphones pick it up....that's how mine does it anyway

edit...something like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stereo-Bluetooth-Audio-Transmitter-A2DP-3-5mm-Dongle-Adapter-for-PC-TV-iPod-MP4-/171778958346?hash=item27fed2e40a:g:S5QAAOSwpDdVQC9r

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4726 on: December 1, 2015, 02:13:11 pm »
you can get a bluetooth transmitter from ebay etc for about £8 i think. Plugs into socket on back of TV then wireless headphones pick it up....that's how mine does it anyway

edit...something like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stereo-Bluetooth-Audio-Transmitter-A2DP-3-5mm-Dongle-Adapter-for-PC-TV-iPod-MP4-/171778958346?hash=item27fed2e40a:g:S5QAAOSwpDdVQC9r

Ah right cheers. I did look at the different types of wireless headphones available. RF, Digital, Infra red or Blue Tooth

I take it the Bluetooth transmitter doesn't have to be in line of sight and can be hidden down the back of the telly?  Are your bluetooth headphones good quality sound mate?

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4727 on: December 1, 2015, 02:32:44 pm »
Ah right cheers. I did look at the different types of wireless headphones available. RF, Digital, Infra red or Blue Tooth

I take it the Bluetooth transmitter doesn't have to be in line of sight and can be hidden down the back of the telly?  Are your bluetooth headphones good quality sound mate?

My little box just sits behind the TV, cheapish set of headphones which sound fine...obviously you can now get buds or over-ear ones. They are fine but the odd problem connecting to the box....overall it's nothing "flash" so only blinking lights and beeps to check if you're connected. I'm not sure about more expensive systems but I kept it cheap to see if it actually worked....which it does but not sure i'd upgrade for a cost.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4728 on: December 1, 2015, 02:45:48 pm »
My little box just sits behind the TV, cheapish set of headphones which sound fine...obviously you can now get buds or over-ear ones. They are fine but the odd problem connecting to the box....overall it's nothing "flash" so only blinking lights and beeps to check if you're connected. I'm not sure about more expensive systems but I kept it cheap to see if it actually worked....which it does but not sure i'd upgrade for a cost.

Yeah i dont want anything mega expensive anyhow.

The little bluetooth box behing the TV sounds ideal.

Last question (i hope)...

How do you make the connection between the headphones and the box plugged into the TV?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4729 on: December 1, 2015, 05:23:59 pm »
Yeah i dont want anything mega expensive anyhow.

The little bluetooth box behing the TV sounds ideal.

Last question (i hope)...

How do you make the connection between the headphones and the box plugged into the TV?

The headphones have nearfild (i think it's called) in one side so touching the transmitter connects for the first time and automatically after that. When you have no visual clues other than the flashing lights and a beep this is where it can get tricky to know if it's linked etc. I took a chance as it was all pretty cheap but it worked

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4730 on: December 1, 2015, 05:40:35 pm »
Cheers Shadowbane

I'm having the AKG Y45BT Bluetooth Headphones for Christmas off the missus. WhatHifi reckon they are the best Wireless headphones for under 100 quid, they get a great review..  Picked them up for 70 notes online at Superfi.co.uk.

They have Nearfield too (NFC) :)

Just need to get a transmitter now

cheers for your help.  :wave

Online owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4731 on: December 3, 2015, 04:49:08 pm »
My mate just bought an LG 55UF770V 55" 4K LED tv for £624.

Great price

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4732 on: December 7, 2015, 08:13:47 pm »
I know that cheap TVs are generally a no-no, but our old Sony Wega is on its last legs and we're after something inexpensive for the living room.

How long is something like this likely to last?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Proscan-Premium-PLDED4331A-43-1080p-60Hz-Class-D-LED-HDTV/46368138

I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4733 on: December 7, 2015, 08:21:02 pm »
Ive had plenty of crap make t s and never had an issue with any of them.i have a  make called panache in the kitchen and its been great for years.ive an lg in my living room which is by far the best for quality and a sony in y bedroom.never had an issue with any of them.But  when i sell this gaff one thing ill be doing is buying a new one.went on yhe hunt today.saw some lovely curved ones.not sure of the advantages though?
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline aceface9

• Main Stander
  • Make Us Dream
« Reply #4734 on: December 7, 2015, 11:52:29 pm »
Bought a 65 inch Samsung 9000 series last week and couldn't be happier.

Watched a movie with the 3D glasses and was genuinely impressed.
"I wouldnt grace my one remaining eye with that inbred, bunch of silver spoon fed c*nts, smarmy,snobby , self important bunch of fucking wankers if my life depended on it. Fuck the wankers. There is a wedding down at St Faiths, that means more to me than these pricks. Get to fuck."
Sir Harvest Fields

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #4735 on: December 8, 2015, 07:16:37 pm »
Does anyone know if I'm likely to encounter any problems buying an EU spec (not UK) TV?  Will there be a built-in Freeview tuner, for example?  I imaging the menu's won't be in English but I should be able to change this in the settings?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #4736 on: December 11, 2015, 03:32:52 pm »
Any idea how to turn the god awful pop up adds off a smart tv? Bloody hell they annoy the piss out of me.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #4737 on: December 18, 2015, 04:12:02 pm »
Mate has installed one of these Samsung curved TV's in a house.  The OneConnect cable you get with it is approx 3m - does anyone know if you can get longer?  Had a quick look and can't find anything.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #4738 on: December 21, 2015, 01:21:38 pm »
This may be a stupid question but would two TVs with the exact same model number, the only difference being the screen size, perform exactly the same?

Reason I ask is, Which magazine rate the UE55H6200 TV quite highly but I'm after a 50 inch TV.  They don't have a review for the UE50H6200 but could I assume, as it is the same model (only with a slightly smaller screen) that this TV would score quite highly too?

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4739 on: December 23, 2015, 11:57:42 pm »
This may be a stupid question but would two TVs with the exact same model number, the only difference being the screen size, perform exactly the same?

Reason I ask is, Which magazine rate the UE55H6200 TV quite highly but I'm after a 50 inch TV.  They don't have a review for the UE50H6200 but could I assume, as it is the same model (only with a slightly smaller screen) that this TV would score quite highly too?
There can be differences but they would be minor, chances are they are the exact same.

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4740 on: December 24, 2015, 12:15:14 pm »
Any idea how to turn the god awful pop up adds off a smart tv? Bloody hell they annoy the piss out of me.

Which TV do you have?

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #4741 on: December 26, 2015, 02:07:58 am »
....went on yhe hunt today.saw some lovely curved ones.not sure of the advantages though?....

There are no advantages to curved screens - it's a passing marketing ploy and you would be better spending your money on useful technology like 4K ....

They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4742 on: December 26, 2015, 08:03:04 pm »
There are no advantages to curved screens - it's a passing marketing ploy and you would be better spending your money on useful technology like 4K ....

Agreed. A completely useless gimmick and no actual viewing benefits whatsoever. Some of them can look pretty, but give no better viewing experience imo
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4743 on: December 27, 2015, 11:04:03 am »
I'd imagine they'd look decent and give you a bit more depth if you were to go all out and get a 60+ inch TV, below that I can't really see any benefits at all.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #4744 on: January 5, 2016, 09:19:36 am »
My youngest son hit my beautiful Panasonic LCD tv with a recorder (who even buys recorders!!) and it looks like a job for insurance. No bugger wants to repair it!

We bought it for £699 from John Lewis about 2.5yrs ago. Insurance company will give us a £400 currys voucher to replace it but I have to pay £150 excess. In effect I have £250 to buy a new tv when in fact I'd rather they just fix my old one for £150.

My old tv is 42 inch as my current house is quite small, however I'm moving to a bigger house at the end of the month and was thinking about upsizing anyway. Which tv (up to about 50-55inches) would you guys get for around £700-£1000? I don't really need 3D, a curve or smart apps although I know a lot come with these. 4k would seem sensible. Narrowed it to a Sony, Samsung or Panasonic but can't quite tell the difference between them all. I've been a Panasonic man for ages but happy to switch. Really like the LG OLED screens and could stretch to one, but might come back to the market in 2-3 years time when its tried and tested (and cheaper!).

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #4745 on: January 5, 2016, 09:35:12 am »
Looking to buy a 4K 55" or 65" TV... I have seen this but honestly know nothing of TV's... any good? I have SONY already atm and love it but the built in apps/OS is slow as fuck, I notice the new TV's are android and assume they are much better?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KD-55X8005CBAEP-Ultra-Smart-Wi-Fi/dp/B0152WX8HC/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1451986511&sr=1-7

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4746 on: January 5, 2016, 09:40:01 am »
Got a pansonic plasma at the minute. Really like it so won't be swapping till OLED come down in price? Anyone have an inkling as to when that will be?
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4747 on: January 5, 2016, 10:05:36 am »

Looking to buy a 4K 55" or 65" TV... I have seen this but honestly know nothing of TV's... any good? I have SONY already atm and love it but the built in apps/OS is slow as fuck, I notice the new TV's are android and assume they are much better?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KD-55X8005CBAEP-Ultra-Smart-Wi-Fi/dp/B0152WX8HC/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1451986511&sr=1-7

There's quite a few articles on the android link with Sony and they're not too positive. Probably wouldn't put me off though. That model also has the lowest refresh rate of the series, I think its an 83 rather than 80 when it jumps up.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4748 on: January 5, 2016, 10:07:01 am »
Got a pansonic plasma at the minute. Really like it so won't be swapping till OLED come down in price? Anyone have an inkling as to when that will be?

I think they've gone from about £9000 to £2000 in a year. My guess would be normal prices in about 3 years. I think what's holding OLED back is that nobody knows what the screens will look like in a few years time. Early plasmas were notoriously hit and miss.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4749 on: January 5, 2016, 10:09:14 am »
I think they've gone from about £9000 to £2000 in a year. My guess would be normal prices in about 3 years. I think what's holding OLED back is that nobody knows what the screens will look like in a few years time. Early plasmas were notoriously hit and miss.

oh right, thanks!

Still massively prefer plasma to LED
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #4750 on: February 22, 2016, 01:08:26 pm »
Thought i'd ask in here, But what does everyone use to clean their TV screens? Wipes? damp cloth?

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4751 on: February 22, 2016, 01:11:42 pm »
Thought i'd ask in here, But what does everyone use to clean their TV screens? Wipes? damp cloth?

A lint free cloth. Wipes will leave it streaky
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4752 on: March 23, 2016, 08:29:05 am »
Bought a 40 inch SHARP back in July, decided to upgrade and get a 55 inch, down by £335, instead.

I've currently got my 40 inch on a desk - similar to this (without the back-board) and with nothing else on top of it. Just looked at the spec of the TV and the distance between the legs won't fit on that, or if it will, it'll be a tight squeeze and with a lot of overhang of the screen - although I don't mind the latter. But I'm worried about how safe that is, especially as the side panel (opposite side to the drawers) is lose, and the TV weighs about 18kg more than my current one. I don't think using my current desk is an option.

Wall mounting isn't an option, and I'd require something as high as a desk (and with similar storage hopefully) as the end of the bed would come in the way of the screen if it were lower. I'm not looking to spend too much money here (as close to £50 or less, really), just something that will do the trick and tick the boxes (1. bit of height, 2. can hold up to 26/28kg and; 3. can accommodate for 108cm between the TV legs).

Anyone able to direct me to a stand/cabinet, or even another sturdier desk that would do the trick?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 08:32:57 am by El Denzel Pepito »

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4753 on: March 24, 2016, 04:29:24 pm »
OK, so after nearly 10 years with my LG, it finally went out of business. Literally went out with a bang. Something exploded and that was it. Went and bought a Sony and naturally it's a much better tv. A lot lighter too. Fortunately, it has the PIP/P&P function I've wanted.

So if anyone else ever wanted to know - you can run a AV (tv) and a HDMI (computer screen) via P&P. As much as I have searched for confirmation that combo works, no-one has said it specifically. Even the manual has left me with doubts. But it works. Very nice.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #4754 on: April 5, 2016, 02:33:21 pm »
Bought a 4K 65" LG tv just before Xmas, I noticed that on fast moving horizontal scrolling images (football being a prime example) vertical lines appeared. They appear in the same places each time. It's fucking annoying. Contacted LG in January (outside of the returns window) and it's taken till now for them to agree to take away for inspection.

Possibly the worst customer service experience I've had since I opted to switch to BT infinity about 4/5 years back. Shockingly poor, staff lack technical knowledge and do not follow through on promises/call backs.

This is the 3rd LG TV I've bought in a row, I must have spent about £3.5k with them in the past five years but they've shit on my loyalty.

The inspection will apparently take up to 2 weeks, I can see this rumbling on for months and me ending up with some battered old piece of shit.

If I only bought this in December does anyone know what my rights are?

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #4755 on: April 8, 2016, 11:10:53 am »
Bought a 4K 65" LG tv just before Xmas, I noticed that on fast moving horizontal scrolling images (football being a prime example) vertical lines appeared. They appear in the same places each time. It's fucking annoying. Contacted LG in January (outside of the returns window) and it's taken till now for them to agree to take away for inspection.

Possibly the worst customer service experience I've had since I opted to switch to BT infinity about 4/5 years back. Shockingly poor, staff lack technical knowledge and do not follow through on promises/call backs.

This is the 3rd LG TV I've bought in a row, I must have spent about £3.5k with them in the past five years but they've shit on my loyalty.

The inspection will apparently take up to 2 weeks, I can see this rumbling on for months and me ending up with some battered old piece of shit.

If it's within the previous 6 years you have a good right to complain and use the Sale of Goods act.

If it's only 5 months old then you would expect to get a brand new replacement, again under the sale of goods act that the set has an inherent fault.

I would have kicked up a stick with whoever you bought the TV from too, as they have an obligation to resolve it.

Personally I wouldn't settle for anything less than a brand new replacement.  No way (after 5 months) should you be settling for a repair or refurbished set.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4756 on: April 8, 2016, 11:21:53 am »

Have a read of this...

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
what new tv should i get?
« Reply #4757 on: June 29, 2016, 10:49:22 am »
my last one was a 40" panasonic neo-plasma tv. 

it had burn through - just like the old plasma - and died less than 12 months after the five year guarantee ended and just before we could watch the game of thrones finale. 

i have been told by various mates LED is the way forward and that they all like samsung.

is this correct?  does RAWK have a tech expert that can give me a steer and can a TV ever be too big?

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: what new tv should i get?
« Reply #4758 on: June 29, 2016, 10:56:26 am »
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=90511.0  :thumbup

oh, and no it definitely can't be too big IMO. I've had a 59" for about 4 years and I'd go bigger for my next one without a second thought.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
Re: what new tv should i get?
« Reply #4759 on: June 29, 2016, 11:08:33 am »
and can a TV ever be too big?

Depends on the room you're putting it in and whether or not you want the TV to basically dominate the living room. I have a 37" TV with a very thin boarder and wouldn't go any bigger than that.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus