Author Topic: Champions League  (Read 115892 times)

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Champions League
« Reply #2320 on: May 5, 2021, 10:41:38 pm »
I enjoyed watching Qatar bottle it last year, so I’d like to watch Abu Dhabi choke this year. Still think they’ll win it.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #2321 on: May 5, 2021, 10:43:31 pm »
Ok that’s shit

So now I’m just going to concentrate fully on laughing at who loses

Who losing will be funnier? Its city isn’t it
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2322 on: May 5, 2021, 10:46:49 pm »
Ok that’s shit

Yep.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #2323 on: May 5, 2021, 10:49:20 pm »
That night's Lottery draw, Dad's Army repeat and Graham Norton will get higher ratings than this final.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2324 on: May 5, 2021, 10:49:58 pm »
Ok that’s shit

Probably yeah. It's hard not to dislike any of them, but seeing Sterling, Bernardo Silva, Fernandinho and Guardiola lose their shit would be the more entertaining I reckon. Plus the fans could go back to booing the CL anthem and convinced Uefa have it in for them

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #2325 on: May 5, 2021, 10:51:06 pm »
Ok that’s shit

No brainer.

United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline orrellparkblues

• Boys Pen
« Reply #2326 on: May 5, 2021, 10:52:52 pm »
madrid are done, no wonder Perez wanted those super league dollars.

Ok that’s shit

i'm obviously not a red here, but i'd have thought for you lot it'd be:

if city lose, laugh at city

if city win, laugh at united (for having their 2 worst nightmare scenarios happen in the space of two years, your league win being the other)

Offline SenorGarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria...
« Reply #2327 on: May 5, 2021, 10:53:32 pm »
Basically since COVID hit and we locked down, bar a nice 24 hours when we won the league, football has been shit.

Worst 12 months of being an LFC fan in quite some time  :(
"A football club isn't just made up of players, coaches and directors. More than anything else it's the supporters who make a club, and that perhaps is the ingredient which best distinguishes Liverpool Football Club from every other team. The supporters." - Luis Javier García Sanz

Thanks Kenny, for making us believe again. YNWA

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2328 on: May 5, 2021, 10:54:09 pm »
There is literally only one thing going for us, even though really it’s all a defeat - and that is the fact one must lose it. As much as I’d preferred them to win it, at least PSG collapsed again, I don’t think they’ll ever win it. Ideally some bog standard Spanish striker ends Ramos’s career at the weekend, too.

Hopefully whoever loses it does so in heart-breaking circumstances, shattering the hearts of any genuine supporters of either sides. Perhaps with a climax that makes our 2nd half in Kiev look relatively run of the mill in comparison. I just want the losers to feel genuine pain.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2329 on: May 5, 2021, 10:56:40 pm »
We could maybe get some United fans over there to get it abandoned through another 'peaceful' protest.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2021, 11:20:27 pm by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Careca9

• Main Stander
« Reply #2330 on: May 5, 2021, 11:04:11 pm »
I've been thinking about this lately, and you can see the standard of the game in general when it comes to internationals. I used to look forward to them and the big competitions. You look through all the teams, and what have you got? Primadona, primadona, overrated, overrated, shite, shite, whosthiscunt?, Messi, Ronaldo. That's it. That's your lot. It's like years ago whenever you had football games and they had no real names, so they made up shit names and you couldn't tell who's who. It's fucking dire.
I think this is a real interesting point, it maybe my age and having kids means I can’t watch as much football as before but I genuinely think standard of football has dropped and it’s not just this year, to me it’s been on wane for a while. This version of Manchester City I think is not as good a team as prime yaya, prime kompany, prime aguero versio yet they are running away with the league and have gone further than they have ever gone in the champions league. I think klopp is the only coach in recent years who has taken a club forward, ie improved us up to a top tier level rather than other managers not quite saying a managed decline but almost stagnation. If i look at Bayern last year they were a very good team win last year, I stil think their 2013 team was better. To me it seems there are loads of good players around but very few great players, the type to really elevate teams to a next level. Whereas before u had a great players for a number of teams in premier league, serie a, la liga, bundesliga and some other leagues now there are far less and the ones there are all concentrated in a handful of teams. Florentino Perez worries about kids not following football due to short attention spans, I’d be more worried that due to poor quality on display in too many games including the highest levels kids will switch off as it’s just not good to watch, I know I’m biased but of top games in recent years (granted I don’t see many full games outside highlights) the ones that stand out to me as two top teams going at it hammer and tongs and games being gripping and absolute top quality are games between us and city. I can’t genuinely think of many more whereas those type of games seemed more common in past years. Now that could be my rose tinted glasses as I don’t have time anymore to watch as much football as I did and a person does always feel things might be a better during a period they had more involvement in but curious does anyone else feel the same

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #2331 on: May 5, 2021, 11:28:43 pm »

United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2332 on: May 5, 2021, 11:38:40 pm »
absolutely horrible final line up.

we have only ourselves to blame for making such a fuck up of the real madrid away leg.

to be honest id prefer city win the final. cant stand Chelsea and at least with city its their first one, won in the biggest red asterisk of a European cup ever with no fans ,after the shambles of the ESL and under the shadow of being convicted of breaches of FPL rules. if they win, it is tarnished. There is no doubt about that.  Who knows they might even get stripped of it considering the cheating they do.

Also, it might affect their hunger a little going forward.

it could be worse i supposed. It could be united in the final

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2333 on: May 5, 2021, 11:42:46 pm »

need to ad some plastic flags mate ..

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #2334 on: May 5, 2021, 11:46:20 pm »
Feels like a power shift (a non-everton kind i.e a real one), with the continental teams weakening significantly while the PL strengthens its position further.
Which makes you wonder if the PL isn't in its own way a Super League but without the exclusivity, condescending to play European teams to see who can challenge for the prettiest cup.

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2335 on: May 5, 2021, 11:52:01 pm »
From BBC updates

Posted at 22:5522:55
'Mount and Foden are two of the best'
FT: Chelsea 2-0 Real Madrid (Agg: 3-1)

High praise for Chelsea's Mason Mount and Man City's Phil Foden from former Liverpool striker Michael Owen on BT Sport.

"I think Foden and Mount are two of the best players in the world right now," Owen said. "It's so exciting to watch their progress. I can't wait for the final and the Euros in the summer.

"I think the two of them are going to get right to the top - they are up there with Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappe already.

"Certainly Foden, he could develop into one of the best players England has ever seen."

Nothing like overhyping English players

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2336 on: May 5, 2021, 11:59:31 pm »
The only way this final doesn't take place is if Galatasaray and Fenerbache fans declare all out war outside the Ataturk.  Knowing those fuckers I give that a 30% chance of happening.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2337 on: May 6, 2021, 12:02:05 am »
Pretty sure BT Sport make the European finals free to air, especially if English teams are involved. There could well be 4 this season, like there was in 2018/19.

A Man United vs Arsenal Europa League final would get a bigger audience than the CL final.
BT put all the finals to watch live on their Youtube channel.

I'm not watching it, just like the 2008 final, another final to boycott with 2 clubs i despise.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #2338 on: May 6, 2021, 01:11:34 am »
I think this is a real interesting point, it maybe my age and having kids means I can’t watch as much football as before but I genuinely think standard of football has dropped and it’s not just this year, to me it’s been on wane for a while. This version of Manchester City I think is not as good a team as prime yaya, prime kompany, prime aguero versio yet they are running away with the league and have gone further than they have ever gone in the champions league. I think klopp is the only coach in recent years who has taken a club forward, ie improved us up to a top tier level rather than other managers not quite saying a managed decline but almost stagnation. If i look at Bayern last year they were a very good team win last year, I stil think their 2013 team was better. To me it seems there are loads of good players around but very few great players, the type to really elevate teams to a next level. Whereas before u had a great players for a number of teams in premier league, serie a, la liga, bundesliga and some other leagues now there are far less and the ones there are all concentrated in a handful of teams. Florentino Perez worries about kids not following football due to short attention spans, I’d be more worried that due to poor quality on display in too many games including the highest levels kids will switch off as it’s just not good to watch, I know I’m biased but of top games in recent years (granted I don’t see many full games outside highlights) the ones that stand out to me as two top teams going at it hammer and tongs and games being gripping and absolute top quality are games between us and city. I can’t genuinely think of many more whereas those type of games seemed more common in past years. Now that could be my rose tinted glasses as I don’t have time anymore to watch as much football as I did and a person does always feel things might be a better during a period they had more involvement in but curious does anyone else feel the same

A lot of flair and freedom has gone out of the game now, players are technically gifted but mentally weak and lacking in true creativity and inspiration, of the new crop, Mount, Maddison, Curtis Jones and Trent look like they have something a little unique and Grealish (possibly Harvey Elliot as well) is a genuine throwback to the 70s, aside from that they are pretty much highly competent automatons and european players look little different from what I see.

I may be wrong but Foden seems good but highly overated from what I see, would be interesting to see him in the Burnley team and what he could do there.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #2339 on: May 6, 2021, 01:13:21 am »
Which makes you wonder if the PL isn't in its own way a Super League but without the exclusivity, condescending to play European teams to see who can challenge for the prettiest cup.

Can we not just get Celtic, Rangers, Real, Juventus etc to join the PL and dump the shite like Everton
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #2340 on: May 6, 2021, 01:28:06 am »
Imagine if fans were allowed at full capacity in the stadium for the final. City's section would still look like this

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #2341 on: May 6, 2021, 01:54:32 am »
From BBC updates

We’ll see the gulf in class next season when we play them and mbappe and haaland tear John stones apart.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2342 on: May 6, 2021, 04:31:11 am »
From BBC updates

That's nothing. Dion Dublin said Phil Foden is the closest thing he's seen to Diego Maradona.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2343 on: May 6, 2021, 05:08:37 am »
That's nothing. Dion Dublin said Phil Foden is the closest thing he's seen to Diego Maradona.

:lmao

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2344 on: May 6, 2021, 05:41:38 am »
Fuck Chelsea. We have bitter and hostile history with them. City are irrelevant to me. The only reason that i could think of not wanting them to win it, is Sterling.

Also, City winning it will make Manutd fans suffer even more.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2345 on: May 6, 2021, 06:44:32 am »

To be fair this lad is very good and I think people on here would be salivating in the unlikely event of him joining us.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2346 on: May 6, 2021, 07:09:55 am »
What about the German clubs?

I guess a pre season friendly against Dortmund is the same as a European tournament night.
Are you concerned about the German clubs in their current set up? How many years straight have Bayern won the league now?

Online Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2347 on: May 6, 2021, 07:49:28 am »
Sickening having these 2 clubs in the final.

The 2 clubs that have single handedly fucked football with money, greed and power.

It makes me so angry that people were happy (rightly) to be outraged at the ESL, but will now be applauding these 2 teams as the ‘best in Europe’ conveniently forgetting why City look so dominant, or why Chelsea are now in their 3rd final etc.

This isn’t a fair and level playing field.  This isn’t competition. This isn’t even a game sometimes.

It’s money buying trophies, and that’s all it’s about really.

City were banned this season and they’ve made the final because they cheated so much, just that they did it far enough back that no one at the top cares now.

The odd year you’ll get a team like us who can upset the flow and make a proper go of it. But it’s like chasing someone on steroids. They’ll never tire. They might stumble every now and again and lose twice a season instead of once but unless you’re perfect you’ll never beat them in the end.

Seriously, my love for this sport dies more by the day.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2021, 07:51:33 am by Walshy nMe® »

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2348 on: May 6, 2021, 07:55:44 am »
Are there gonna be any fans in Istanbul or limited number?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2349 on: May 6, 2021, 08:10:43 am »
Are there gonna be any fans in Istanbul or limited number?

Officially 4000 each

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2350 on: May 6, 2021, 08:15:51 am »
The only positive I can take from this is that at least either City will be losing a final or Tuchel will be losing another onc, both of which will be funny. Sadly that of course means that either way a gang of c*nts will be winning it.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #2351 on: May 6, 2021, 08:30:54 am »
Officially 4000 each
That still confirmed? Turkey had another spike recently, didn’t they?
AHA!

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2352 on: May 6, 2021, 08:32:07 am »
The only positive I can take from this is that at least either City will be losing a final or Tuchel will be losing another onc, both of which will be funny. Sadly that of course means that either way a gang of c*nts will be winning it.
I think the least worst outcome would be city losing it.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2353 on: May 6, 2021, 08:33:06 am »
Officially 4000 each
Will the Abu Dhabi Royal family be buying up the rest of the tickets then? Like they do at the council stadium?

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2354 on: May 6, 2021, 08:39:40 am »
Sickening having these 2 clubs in the final.

The 2 clubs that have single handedly fucked football with money, greed and power.

It makes me so angry that people were happy (rightly) to be outraged at the ESL, but will now be applauding these 2 teams as the ‘best in Europe’ conveniently forgetting why City look so dominant, or why Chelsea are now in their 3rd final etc.

This isn’t a fair and level playing field.  This isn’t competition. This isn’t even a game sometimes.

It’s money buying trophies, and that’s all it’s about really.

City were banned this season and they’ve made the final because they cheated so much, just that they did it far enough back that no one at the top cares now.

The odd year you’ll get a team like us who can upset the flow and make a proper go of it. But it’s like chasing someone on steroids. They’ll never tire. They might stumble every now and again and lose twice a season instead of once but unless you’re perfect you’ll never beat them in the end.

Seriously, my love for this sport dies more by the day.

Yes but us losing to Real Madrid got nothing to do with these plastic bastards. There's no-one to blame for that but ourselves.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #2355 on: May 6, 2021, 08:52:55 am »
I'm not watching it, just like the 2008 final, another final to boycott with 2 clubs i despise.

Same here.

Didn't watch a minute of the semi finals either. I've still never ever seen the goals or any of the game from 1999 or 2008 CL Finals. Didn't watch the 2009, 2011 or 2012 finals though seen the goals since. 2012 goals by accident rather than design though.

This final fits in the same bucket as the 2008 CL Final, where you basically can't win either way. I suppose the slight difference is that I probably did want Chelsea to win in 2008. I was not going to cheer them on though.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2356 on: May 6, 2021, 08:59:27 am »
Yeah, United winning those finals in 1999 (especially) and 2008 was like a punch to the gut. Felt awful. I had crowing Manc mates, could t really avoid it, even if I didn’t watch the game in 08.

This all feels a bit more ‘meh’. It’ll be crap whoever wins but it won’t hurt the same way.

Thank god for Barca and their Spanish doctors in 09 and 11 by the way!

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #2357 on: May 6, 2021, 09:01:02 am »
Yes but us losing to Real Madrid got nothing to do with these plastic bastards. There's no-one to blame for that but ourselves.

Even if we got past Madrid I'm not sure we'd have beaten Chelsea over 2 legs or City in the Final. The current incarnation of this team has been outplayed and beaten versus most decent opposition since the start of 2021 -  Chelsea (0-1), City (1-4, Real (3-1), United (3-2).

We'd have gone into any potential CL semi-final or final as massive underdogs given our form and performances over the last 3-4 months. Not sure we are able to just 'turn it on' at the moment. Despite having a pretty poor team in 2005, for example, we could raise our game massively for the European nights. We did it through the whole campaign, including Olympiakos and La Coruna in the group stage.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2358 on: May 6, 2021, 09:01:16 am »
The final from hell. The final insult in a season of relentless insults.

Reinforces what we already know - the game, and life itself, just ain't straight...

Consoled though by the old adage, the darkest hour is just before dawn.

Up the Mighty Reds 👊

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2359 on: May 6, 2021, 09:04:27 am »
Even if we got past Madrid I'm not sure we'd have beaten Chelsea over 2 legs or City in the Final. The current incarnation of this team has been outplayed and beaten versus most decent opposition since the start of 2021 -  Chelsea (0-1), City (1-4, Real (3-1), United (3-2).

We'd have gone into any potential CL semi-final or final as massive underdogs given our form and performances over the last 3-4 months. Not sure we are able to just 'turn it on' at the moment. Despite having a pretty poor team in 2005, for example, we could raise our game massively for the European nights. We did it through the whole campaign, including Olympiakos and La Coruna in the group stage.

Maybe you're right, but Chelsea's recent success got to do something with their manager as well. If Lampard was in charge, they wouldn't beat Real Madrid or us

SLAVA
UKRAINI