Author Topic: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...  (Read 848678 times)

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...
« Reply #11920 on: May 22, 2020, 09:58:24 pm »
They’ve been told it’s safe to go back.

If individual players choose not to go back to work, it’ll be up to their clubs to deal with.

By the sounds if it though clubs are saying they wont deal with it. Klopp said there wont be any punishments. So in theory if Mane, Salah and Firmino all said tomorrow they dont feel safe training they wouldn't face any fine or punishment from us. If that was the same at every club what would stop a mass player strike? Obviously I'm talking extremes here.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11921 on: May 22, 2020, 10:01:25 pm »
Yeah. I worded that badly. Not suggesting we are unworthy. But remember the chat about winning at Anfield in front of the kop and how mental that would be. ? It won't be the same in an empty Anfield. Sure it will still be great and yes the end of a thirty year wait. But I don't think this is how anyone would want it to happen. I also think I'll struggle not to think of the thousands that have died. I know it's not related but they'll be in my thoughts.
 Sorry. Don't know what's brought this on.

No-one will ever forget this title win. It’ll be legendary. 25 points clear, a pandemic shuts down the world and all of sport, rival fans and clubs facing relegation see it as an opportunity to deny us the title... the rest is still to be written.

It’d all have been over last month if things were normal, so take the glass half full approach and think of it as extending the title procession. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #11922 on: May 22, 2020, 10:04:19 pm »
By the sounds if it though clubs are saying they wont deal with it. Klopp said there wont be any punishments. So in theory if Mane, Salah and Firmino all said tomorrow they dont feel safe training they wouldn't face any fine or punishment from us. If that was the same at every club what would stop a mass player strike? Obviously I'm talking extremes here.

Who said players would be punished? It’s up to each player and each club to decide. As soon as the league has decided it’s safe to play football, that’s what will happen. Just like any other job, if players then decide they don’t want to do their job then it’ll be up to their bosses how it’s dealt with. If enough players from one club decide to fuck their own team well....that’s up to them.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #11923 on: May 22, 2020, 10:05:17 pm »
I don't mind Kante or Deeney saying they wont train or play etc. That's their prerogative (assuming footballers can't be forced to work like the rest of us) but I'm wondering where a line is drawn? What's to stop a whole team from saying they don't feel safe and wont play?

I've been asked the same question and I've said I'm happy to return to work in the 1st phase. I only work in an office. However, I'm keen to see us get back to normal and want to support it where I can and where it's safe. There are external vendors at work and local businesses around the office that rely on people being at work. The team who run the catering onsite are furloughed, for example. They can't work from home, like me. If we can get people back in the office, maybe they can work again too. Hopefully we get a snowball effect and we can start to get the wheels back on, people working and the economy moving.

I'm fairly fit and not in the high risk category. I don't think I'm at grave danger if I do get Covid-19 and I suspect I've already had it, right at the start of lockdown. I was on my arse with bad flu and a temp. Also had loss of taste.

It's my prerogative and there will be many like me. I suspect most footballers will feel safe and just want to get back on with their job. Those that don't have every right not to. There is a third group who are hiding behind covid to suit their own agendas, of course.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11924 on: May 22, 2020, 10:08:14 pm »

Yes! Rushie's coming back for the derby! That's what dating a younger woman does to you ;)

We live in a country with a history of institutionalised racism and discrimination, which has led to the sad result that BAME groups are more likely to live in poverty. And that’s what will be leading to the higher rates. It’s nothing genetic, I’d propose, as we’re all the same fucking race.

http://www.irr.org.uk/research/statistics/poverty/

BAME footballers in the premier league will live better lives than any of us. Townsend is a disgrace trying to imply being black has an effect.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:10:31 pm by Peabee »

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #11925 on: May 22, 2020, 10:12:53 pm »

Klopp is very sure that his players are confident that everything has been done to make sure they are in the safest place they could be. And not just cos of the hard work done at Melwood, but mentaly too, being as the team has a psychologist too, and I'm sure he's been doing the rounds via video in recent weeks.

Onus should be on clubs to be as prepared, and questions should be asked of those clubs if players don't come back.

There can be totally explainable exeptions like Kante. But there should not be a senario where there would be a load of players doing so. But if there is, clubs have questions to answer.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #11926 on: May 22, 2020, 10:13:14 pm »
If I play for a PL club and the club has asked me to jump, I will ask how high.

Deeney looks like the kind who would throw in the towel when the going gets tough. He would call his agent to be on the first flight out of Watford gets relegated.

And his mid-use of BAME as an excuse was poor form.

Offline daindan

• lyin clock......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11927 on: May 22, 2020, 10:13:49 pm »
Andy Townsend chatting shite as usual I see.
Wrong Townsend 😂

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11928 on: May 22, 2020, 10:16:40 pm »

Looks like you were trying a big side foot but it got big on you.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11929 on: May 22, 2020, 10:22:50 pm »

I know.

On a more positive note, it's going to be great to see Rush back in training. Can't wait to see him in action for us again, it's been a long time.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #11930 on: May 22, 2020, 10:42:50 pm »
Wrong Townsend 😂
;D  Fair enough, but the point remains.  ;)
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #11931 on: May 22, 2020, 10:45:03 pm »
If more than 3-4 players refuse to play/ train then the club has failed in their duty to deal with players'concerns.

From the looks of things, our club have dealt with the issues properly which has led to everyone coming back. This will tell you who the successful clubs are and which ones are the failures like Watford.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #11932 on: May 22, 2020, 10:52:27 pm »
Watford, bless them, they're trying their best to ruin everything aren't they? ;D

They're doing it at the wrong time if they are. 3-4 weeks until the season restarts so all the positive players and those self isolated should be back by the time it restarts. If they were trying to ruin it they'd do this a week before the season starts.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #11933 on: May 22, 2020, 11:00:36 pm »
We live in a country with a history of institutionalised racism and discrimination, which has led to the sad result that BAME groups are more likely to live in poverty. And that’s what will be leading to the higher rates. It’s nothing genetic, I’d propose, as we’re all the same fucking race.

http://www.irr.org.uk/research/statistics/poverty/

BAME footballers in the premier league will live better lives than any of us. Townsend is a disgrace trying to imply being black has an effect.

+1

It's actually pretty moronic to suggest it's some kind of "genetics" factor that means BAME are more likely to contract the virus.

It's indicative of the shitty world we live in where BAME are picking up the jobs us white middle aged males don't do.

Troy Deeney (if he was training) would be in a more sterile and safe environment than I

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11934 on: May 22, 2020, 11:09:05 pm »

He’s self isolating in his tactics truck

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11935 on: May 22, 2020, 11:11:44 pm »
If more than 3-4 players refuse to play/ train then the club has failed in their duty to deal with players'concerns.

From the looks of things, our club have dealt with the issues properly which has led to everyone coming back. This will tell you who the successful clubs are and which ones are the failures like Watford.

they are a bunch of mostly mercenary cast offs from other bigger european clubs. they are pretty much the junk yard of european football. i reckon a lot of them havent been disciplined over the 9 weeks and couldnt give a shite if they get relegated. they made a burst back in february and early march to attempt to avoid relegation.they have no interest in doing that again.

Offline Kopout

• Should really just Logout......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11936 on: May 22, 2020, 11:30:15 pm »
Are bundesliga players not human? why are they not suffering from any of these issues?   ::) :wanker

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11937 on: May 22, 2020, 11:41:31 pm »

Once the lockdown has ended no player will have the right to refuse to train/play.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11938 on: May 22, 2020, 11:51:03 pm »
+1

It's actually pretty moronic to suggest it's some kind of "genetics" factor that means BAME are more likely to contract the virus.

It's indicative of the shitty world we live in where BAME are picking up the jobs us white middle aged males don't do.

Troy Deeney (if he was training) would be in a more sterile and safe environment than I

Recent articles I've read have suggested that poverty, healthy etc accounted for that Bame people have a much higher risk of serious illness and death.
However as we know the media are agenda driven lying shithouses. So I'd like to see a comparison between rich young super healthy white people v rich young super healthy Bame people in terms of covid outcomes. I suspect theres little or no difference. We're all the same species.

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #11939 on: May 23, 2020, 12:08:44 am »
maradona dealt with the same shit kenny did and was doing that whilst on crack!

All things considered, Diego is the top of the pile. Closely followed by Messi. There's about 100 players tied for 3rd, but those two stand out.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11940 on: May 23, 2020, 12:10:03 am »
Recent articles I've read have suggested that poverty, healthy etc accounted for that Bame people have a much higher risk of serious illness and death.
However as we know the media are agenda driven lying shithouses. So I'd like to see a comparison between rich young super healthy white people v rich young super healthy Bame people in terms of covid outcomes. I suspect theres little or no difference. We're all the same species.
Background living conditions do influence those who are affected but there are also other factors that we don't understand yet(according to my daughter who works in this field). For example, it affects men greater than it does women and the old more than young people(probably immune system related). My sister-in-law works in a hospital in L.A and told me that young hispanic males are particularly susceptible - so it is not just about socio-economic factors.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11941 on: May 23, 2020, 12:48:49 am »
Background living conditions do influence those who are affected but there are also other factors that we don't understand yet(according to my daughter who works in this field). For example, it affects men greater than it does women and the old more than young people(probably immune system related). My sister-in-law works in a hospital in L.A and told me that young hispanic males are particularly susceptible - so it is not just about socio-economic factors.

There still could be non-genetic factors at play. Men tend to be less cautious- machismo certainly will play its part. Levels of education, language... there are so many factors at play that must be ruled out before making generalisations based on genetics.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11942 on: May 23, 2020, 01:39:21 am »
There still could be non-genetic factors at play. Men tend to be less cautious- machismo certainly will play its part. Levels of education, language... there are so many factors at play that must be ruled out before making generalisations based on genetics.

Agreed. It’s no surprise that people, and their ancestors, from different areas, with different diets, culture, food, healthcare, have different prevalences of diseases. The only genetic factor is inherited diseases etc, but that’s nothing to do with their race or colour. People look at the wrong factor in the correlation. It’s how eugenics started.

Offline Americano12345

• Main Stander
« Reply #11943 on: May 23, 2020, 02:43:38 am »
Kante has been told he can train at home even if he misses the rest of the season. The correct way to go about it. Went in on Tuesday, expressed concerns and the club have given him time off for now. I'm sure they will keep in close contact and make sure he is okay as this goes on.

Not specific to just this quote, but thinking like with Kante, how many other players might be in the "high risk" category? I vaguely recall that Dean Smith (i believe) mentioned that a villa player has asthma. Makes me wonder how many other players might have medical conditions.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11944 on: May 23, 2020, 11:39:42 am »
Heard a report that  Emmerdale Farm have started filming again..greed before lives, the whole show should be declared null and void.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11945 on: May 23, 2020, 11:48:35 am »
I wont want to play again until I find out what Marlon Harwood and Carlton Cole think should happen.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #11946 on: May 23, 2020, 11:49:20 am »
Heard a report that  Emmerdale Farm have started filming again..greed before lives, the whole show should be declared null and void.

Could that be true of all soaps please?  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11947 on: May 23, 2020, 12:03:48 pm »

I know I sound like a broken record, but they can always come and spend a day in truck or a day filling the shelves at Tesco or Aldi or wherever. Those huge Chelsea tractors they drive are perfect for doing Amazon deliveries and they've been taking staff on like mad and are still crazy busy, maybe go and do that. Own risk though as they won't get tested twice a week.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11948 on: May 23, 2020, 12:39:56 pm »
I like this idea - Virtual screens with fans via Zoom ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52782033

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11949 on: May 23, 2020, 12:45:11 pm »
I like this idea - Virtual screens with fans via Zoom ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52782033

Easy get 150,000 in Anfield doing that ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11950 on: May 23, 2020, 12:49:37 pm »
Easy get 150,000 in Anfield doing that ;D
Imagine the cost of all the Zoom accounts  :o

Offline Kopout

• Should really just Logout......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11951 on: May 23, 2020, 12:50:02 pm »
That ain't going to work with lag. it will be delayed reaction haha

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11952 on: May 23, 2020, 01:15:49 pm »
How many of those screens would get smashed per game?

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11953 on: May 23, 2020, 01:37:32 pm »
La liga returning 8th June.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11954 on: May 23, 2020, 01:39:31 pm »

I can't believe they want Liverpool to win the title aswell.

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11955 on: May 23, 2020, 01:39:57 pm »
How long have they been training?
mines a pint

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #11956 on: May 23, 2020, 01:54:01 pm »
Very refershing reading Sean Dyche's comments about returning. And guess what, he's read the advice given, and he trusts it. He also asked his players what their thoughts where, without telling them his thoughts on it, and every one of them wanted to come back to training.

Not sure how much his quotes and comments will be spread through social media though  ::)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #11957 on: May 23, 2020, 02:13:11 pm »
Shocking levels of disrespect on show there from Emmerdale. How can they even think of making television programmes in the current climate?

Let's be honest here. Absolutely no one with any kind of social conscience is even watching telly at the moment. They have disconnected their sets altogether and will not plug in again until there is a vaccine. All talk of television is frowned upon and the only topic of conversation allowed is the virus. Hand-wringing, moral posturing and virtue signalling are all optional, but 100% concentration on the virus is mandatory, as is total focus on the negative. You get bonus points for identifying any new problem that could hamper progress being made, and you get a special prize if you can get your new negative angle trending on social media.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #11958 on: May 23, 2020, 02:15:50 pm »
Very refershing reading Sean Dyche's comments about returning. And guess what, he's read the advice given, and he trusts it. He also asked his players what their thoughts where, without telling them his thoughts on it, and every one of them wanted to come back to training.

Not sure how much his quotes and comments will be spread through social media though  ::)

Computer says no.

Does. Not. Fit. Narrative.

Reject! Reject!
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11959 on: May 23, 2020, 02:29:56 pm »
Computer says no.

Does. Not. Fit. Narrative.

Reject! Reject!

Had to go looking for it. No mention of it anywhere on Sky or BBC.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT